Darnold’s Camp at CW Post

Best feel-good post of the weekend.  Love this.  Sam seems to do all the right things off the field.  Good head on his shoulders there.  

Thanks again to Gettleman.  By passing on Sam, that man did more for this franchise than Tannenbaum, Idzick, and Mac combined 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

If you know anything about youth sports, a buck fifty is a drop in the bucket for a one day camp with college/pro coaches and one on one with an active pro athlete.  They have to pay for the facility, coaches, workers, etc.  Doubt Sam is making anything off this.

Ah, OK, I didn't realize that.  It definitely seems like he's a great guy.

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Best feel-good post of the weekend.  Love this.  Sam seems to do all the right things off the field.  Good head on his shoulders there.  

Thanks again to Gettleman.  By passing on Sam, that man did more for this franchise than Tannenbaum, Idzick, and Mac combined 

That's actually pretty funny that our 50 year turnaround comes from our New York neighbors GM picking a RB over a franchise QB. 

Giants fans will get to watch Darnold each week as he ascends to top of the QB boards. Just the idea that Gettlman watched Eli spraying balls around the field but didn't want to hurt his feelings, or his fans feelings for that matter. This is close to Marino like except Sam luckily isn't in their division but he does play in the same stadium. 

I keep seeing excuses for Barkley over Darnold but would you take Barry Sanders over Brett Favre? (I'm not saying Darnold will be nearly as good as Favre but he has a lot of the same physical attributes). 

• Sympathy 2

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Meanwhile a shirtless baker mayfield is grabbing his crotch in front of a tiger.

You just know that when adversity hits, this guy is not going to respond well. I could see him lose some lineman to injury, start getting sacked & respond by throwing the ball down & showing up guys trying to do their best. 

But on the other hand, I do think he's going to be a VERY GOOD QB.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I keep seeing excuses for Barkley over Darnold but would you take Barry Sanders over Brett Favre? (I'm not saying Darnold will be nearly as good as Favre but he has a lot of the same physical attributes). 

He sent a pic of his dick to Jenn Sterger??:-k

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

That's an awesome story and memory for you and your boy!  Some of my fondest childhood memories are from when me and my brothers got to interact with the team as a kid.  Have some really cool memories of Hofstra and having access to practice.  It's how Klecko basically became my family's favorite player.  We all had his jersey.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

If you know anything about youth sports, a buck fifty is a drop in the bucket for a one day camp with college/pro coaches and one on one with an active pro athlete.  They have to pay for the facility, coaches, workers, etc.  Doubt Sam is making anything off this.

Of course hes making money off it.  But who cares.  He spent the day with the kids.  Thats all that matters.

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course hes making money off it.  But who cares.  He spent the day with the kids.  Thats all that matters.

Agreed, he could just take the easy money in nightclub appearances doing shots with swimsuit models like you see other nfl players doing.

Sam doesn’t do the a lot of signings, so his autograph right now could draw almost the price of the camp if you wanted to sell it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/1/30/18203925/sam-darnold-helmet-super-bowl-liii-dan-marino

“Kutch told me that since entering the league as a rookie Darnold has only held one private signing, and not done any trade shows. As such his signature is sought after on the market. “[Sam] Darnold hasn’t done much signing, same with Saquon Barkley,” he says, “in a few years when he’s done 20-to-30 shows the prices will fall.”

The autograph game is like commodity trading, but those commodities aren’t all created equal — at least in the eyes of a fan. To most of us there’s infinitely more intrinsic value in having a piece of merchandise signed by Jim Kelly than Sam Darnold, but that isn’t the case in the memorabilia world. It’s all about rarity, and even something as simple as pen color can mean everything.”

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

You just know that when adversity hits, this guy is not going to respond well. I could see him lose some lineman to injury, start getting sacked & respond by throwing the ball down & showing up guys trying to do their best. 

But on the other hand, I do think he's going to be a VERY GOOD QB.

The same guy who was a walk on at Texas Tech then became the starter. Transferred to Oklahoma, sat a year, then won a Heisman trophy. 

To even go a step further, the guy got drafted by the Browns and changed the culture to one of the most losing organizations in one year. 

I think if any player has proven when adversity hits, they respond, it’s Baker Mayfield. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam doesn’t do the a lot of signings, so his autograph right now could draw almost the price of the camp if you wanted to sell it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/1/30/18203925/sam-darnold-helmet-super-bowl-liii-dan-marino

“Kutch told me that since entering the league as a rookie Darnold has only held one private signing, and not done any trade shows. As such his signature is sought after on the market. “[Sam] Darnold hasn’t done much signing, same with Saquon Barkley,” he says, “in a few years when he’s done 20-to-30 shows the prices will fall.”

The autograph game is like commodity trading, but those commodities aren’t all created equal — at least in the eyes of a fan. To most of us there’s infinitely more intrinsic value in having a piece of merchandise signed by Jim Kelly than Sam Darnold, but that isn’t the case in the memorabilia world. It’s all about rarity, and even something as simple as pen color can mean everything.”

Nah that photo is in a frame in my son’s room, that’s not something you sell

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Jetster said:

That's actually pretty funny that our 50 year turnaround comes from our New York neighbors GM picking a RB over a franchise QB. 

Giants fans will get to watch Darnold each week as he ascends to top of the QB boards. Just the idea that Gettlman watched Eli spraying balls around the field but didn't want to hurt his feelings, or his fans feelings for that matter. This is close to Marino like except Sam luckily isn't in their division but he does play in the same stadium. 

Except the Jets (and Darnold) haven't ACTUALLY turned anything around... yet.

Talk is cheap, my friend. Lots of wishing and hoping by you won't make it so.

Until it happens, it hasn't happened.

• Upvote 1

That's awesome, good for your kid. I literally said 'Ha, Awesome!' when I read this post. Love hearing when athletes are cool to the kids. 

My kiddo is six and met Mark Texiera when he was just getting into T-ball a little while back. His mom is a digital media writer and gets to meet all kinds of people. Got to take lessons off a tee from a Yankee (and Brave for a short time, his Mom's team). 

18 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Think we finally got it right at the QB spot.  This kid really seems like he has his priorities in order, heart is in the right place.  Sam left NJ at dawn to spend the day with all these kids.  He personally spent time with every single kid at the camp, talked to them about school, other sports they play, etc.  Just about every kid got to catch a pass from Sam.  They ended the camp with 7 on 7s.  Sam jumped in on every game, took some snaps with every team.  Really a great day for the kids, my 7 year old can’t stop talking about it. E27C8710-ABDA-4F82-9F23-82FCB5A73926.thumb.jpeg.63d9d5507007e21acc4d1deab6982f65.jpeg

A few older guys here have pics of themselves with Namath, Klecko etc.  Let's hope this picture become LEGEND after Sam wins a few SB's.  Great picture.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

The same guy who was a walk on at Texas Tech then became the starter. Transferred to Oklahoma, sat a year, then won a Heisman trophy. 

To even go a step further, the guy got drafted by the Browns and changed the culture to one of the most losing organizations in one year. 

I think if any player has proven when adversity hits, they respond, it’s Baker Mayfield. 

That's not adversity? He's been successful where ever he's gone, that's true but that's college where there is always someone to exploit. The NFL is a totally different animal if you have injuries on your Oline. The Browns were one of the healthiest teams in the league last year & things always go back to the mean. To say that Baker has faced real adversity yet is ridiculous. He's a good QB but Aaron Rogers had a rough go of it when his Oline was injured. 

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's not adversity? He's been successful where ever he's gone, that's true but that's college where there is always someone to exploit. The NFL is a totally different animal if you have injuries on your Oline. The Browns were one of the healthiest teams in the league last year & things always go back to the mean. To say that Baker has faced real adversity yet is ridiculous. He's a good QB but Aaron Rogers had a rough go of it when his Oline was injured. 

Ok, I agree with the NFL being a total different beast as far as the talent you are going against. 

Being basically a walk on for 2 different schools may not be the adversity as far as overcoming injury but it for sure is an example in adversity. 

Saying Josh Rosen has not gone trough adversity yet is more realistic to me  

The Browns also had basically a top 5 line last year with a good combination of left guard Joel Bitonio, center Jc Treeter, and right guard Kevin Zeitler 

I don’t want to wish the injury bug, but they would need a lot of bugs to have a a line like Rodgers had. 

Baker ran a ton of RPO’s (run play option) with an extremely quick release in Oklahoma and last year in Cleveland which help disguise bad pass protection  

He is known for a quick release and ability to scramble, I am sure if a lineman or 2 go down, play calling/style will help reduce the number of sacks he is taking.