Jump to content

What’s More Important?


New York Mick

What’s More Important For An NFL Player To Have?  

69 members have voted

  1. 1. What’s More Important For An NFL Player To Have?



Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Talent is nothing without drive...if you have those two, and add character, you have a man and player worthy of all the accolades.

I would take a Troy Polamalu over a Ray Lewis a hundred times.  Shut up and let your play do the talking.

Talent is nothing without drive, drive is nothing without talent. Character without talent and drive is a little league coach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

What’s more important for an NFL player to have. Talent, drive or character? And no all three isn’t an answer. 

IF your talented enough to make the NFL, and your Drive is better then the best talent then the drive wins every time, problem is there is always one if not a few that have both making the Cheever, and Woodhead stories fewer and further between.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Talent is nothing without drive...if you have those two, and add character, you have a man and player worthy of all the accolades.

I would take a Troy Polamalu over a Ray Lewis a hundred times.  Shut up and let your play do the talking.

I agree with all of this except using Ray Lewis as an example just because he talked a lot doesn’t discount the murdering prick didn’t have all 3 of these traits and elite in all 3 categories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

It's tough to quantify "drive".

Was Randy Moss driven to be a great WR, or was he just so damn talented?

He seemed to quit during his Raider years.

I think Moss was the guy with so much friggin talent that he overcame his lack of drive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

What’s more important for an NFL player to have. Talent, drive or character? And no all three isn’t an answer. 

Keyshawn Johnson - Talent

Wayne Chrebet - Drive

You pick...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kevin L said:

It's tough to quantify "drive".

Was Randy Moss driven to be a great WR, or was he just so damn talented?

He seemed to quit during his Raider years.

THIS NEVER GETS MENTIONED.

HE DOGGED IN OAKLAND.  THANKS KL for mentioning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He was also doing drugs during games. 

 

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

A little coke does wonders for the drive. :)

You must remember that Lawrence played in the eighties.  When you say "he's doing drugs" you have to specify relative to who.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

I think Moss was the guy with so much friggin talent that he overcame his lack of drive.

Nuts how talented the guy was. So talented that he is still a top 3 WR of all time despite not putting in the work. While  Rice bust his behind for what he became. 

Jerry Rice - Driven

Randy Moss - Talented

Driven people can be contagious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jetsons said:

If you made it to the NFL it's already obvious that you have talent... what makes you exceptional is the drive you have to improve on that talent to become an elite player.

They all have talent compared to the average person but there’s different levels of professional talent. 

Eric Smith and Ed Reed didn’t have the same level of talent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

They all have talent compared to the average person but there’s different levels of professional talent. 

Eric Smith and Ed Reed didn’t have the same level of talent. 

Talent alone will not get you very far... Ed Reed was also known as a Very Hard worker... Talent plus Drive Will make you a Star. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We’ve seen players without character make it (Pac Man Jones, Tom Brady). We’ve seen players without talent make it (Jamal Adams, Jamal Adams). But I’ve never seen a player who didn’t want to make it make it. Those guys end up as Vernon Gholston.

Howie Long

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Talent alone will not get you very far... Ed Reed was also known as a Very Hard worker... Talent plus Drive Will make you a Star. 

I completely agree my point was there’s a different level of talent to measure in the pros. Everyone has talent but it’s at much different levels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talent is the prerequisite to anything else that comes after. 

Rudy had more drive and character than anyone, but he only got 2 plays at the end of a blowout win against Georgia Tech.  Those were pretty fluky plays when you take a look at the tape; on the sack, he had a clean path to the QB.  Would he have gotten that early in the game on a crucial 3rd down?  I think not.

And I'll bet his 3-cone time sucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, people keep pointing to Gholston in this thread, but he didn't have the right KIND of talent in addition to not having the drive.  They type of combine numbers he put up did not demonstrate the "twitch" level that could translate to being an effective pass rusher.  Being big, strong and fast isn't alone going to make you successful in the NFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, people keep pointing to Gholston in this thread, but he didn't have the right KIND of talent in addition to not having the drive.  They type of combine numbers he put up did not demonstrate the "twitch" level that could translate to being an effective pass rusher.  Being big, strong and fast isn't alone going to make you successful in the NFL. 

I’m assuming you are referring to 3 cone as a measure of twitch. Gholston timed at 7.12 compared to Khalil Mack 7.08 and Clowney 7.27. 

Gholston’s combine numbers were good all around. He also recorded 14 sacks his final year in college.

Compared to Josh Allen, Gholston had a better 40, Broad Jump, 3-Cone and Bench. Josh Allen only had a better short shuttle (tests ability in space). Same with Nick Bosa. So Gholston’s combine showed good bend and explosiveness. His stop and go was poor which means he shouldn’t be put in space. But as a pass rusher he had the talent and production. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talent is the foundation, without it, that’s that. Other stuff important also. Drive #2 and distant 3 is character. Not because it’s not important, but it alone a football player doth not make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...