Breer On Douglas Hiring

KRL

1 hour ago, KRL said:

One name that’s an important one going forward: Hymie Elhai. The SVP of business affairs and general counsel has been more active in football operations of late, and is one of three now (joining Douglas and Adam Gase) reporting directly to ownership. How Elhai fits into the overall framework figures to be one element to watch going forward—he was right there with Gase and owner Christopher Johnson in the interview process, which is a pretty clear indication of where he stands in the organization.

This is interesting.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's been decades, probably going back to the late Dick Steinberg days, when you could say this about a Jets GM. Now we have a seat at the adult table.

pretty true.  steinberg was a great gm with the patsies.  too bad his life was cut short and he didn't have enough time to work the same magic with the jets.

• Upvote 1

The organization often seems like a circus, and that starts at the top. While I know that means Woody and Chris, I don’t think that anyone they’ve fired actually deserved to stay. They just haven’t hired the right people and have handled things poorly from there.

I do genuinely believe that the circus is part of why they can’t hire the right people and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The organization never gets the right candidate because the best candidates want no part of the Jets.

I thought it way earlier in the off-season - Darnold put the organization in a unique situation where there appears to be a franchise QB in place on a rookie deal.

Kudos to ownership for realizing a change was needed at GM and this was an opportunity to get a quality candidate in here and for stepping up and paying to get him. Paying someone a lot and them earning it beats paying two people at once.

Hopefully this is the beginning of some stability for the organization.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

"• My belief is that Sam Darnold’s presence was a significant draw for the candidates involved, mitigating some of the pratfalls that were on the display the last few months. So interestingly enough, the trade that Maccagnan and VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger made in March 2018, their most impactful move in four years there, wound up being a catalyst to finding the right people to replace them.

And ultimately, I’d say between Douglas and the guys he’ll likely bring with him, the Jets have done just that. All’s well that ends well, I guess." 

*** This quote above from Breer is exactly what I've been saying all along. If the NY Giants took Sam Darnold & the Jets ended up with Sequan Barkley, though he's a great RB, this Jets organization would have C level coaching & GMs interested in this job. The Giants passing on Darnold while Eli was deteriorating will be our moment of change similar to Mo Lewis taking out Drew Bledsoe in New England. It will be etched in the memory & passed on through to the next generation of New York Giants fans for years. In fact, passing on Darnold will create the next generation of NY Jet fans in the tri state area.

"From your lips...."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

For all the pain the Jets went through to get here—the bad press, the outsized contract for a first-time GM, the awkward offseason, all of it

When did we hear all of this about KC when the went a similar route firing Dorsey?  Dorsey was also fired after FA and the draft.  And Dorsey was a well respected GM, who seemingly didnt earn his firing.  Where were all the AReid is taking control, AReid stabbed Dorsey in the back talk, all unlike what went on with Macc.

How about all the snickering about the dysfunctional Texans?  They not only did the same exact thing as the Jets, they fired their GM after the Jets finished their GM search, pretty much ensuring that they would get to choose from our leftovers.  And they did their strange firing only one season into their GMs regime, after a pretty successful season.

Im still waiting for all the panel discussions about how dysfunctional the Texans are.  How stupid it was to fire a GM after allowing him to resign their FAs, sign any outside FA and run the draft. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

It's better to be lucky than good. 

Matt Rhule may've been the Jets first choice for head coach, but as a college guy with little or no NFL connections, it's probably safe to say that the Jets wouldn't've been able to attract Douglas here. Who knows where the team would be? Probably with Maccagnan still in the big chair. 

Before the team even plays a preseason down, the Gase hire already feels like a pivotal moment in team history. The Jets have a top tier front office and coaching staff for the first time since Parcells. And even then, Parcells was no great GM, and his protege, Tannenbaum, wasn't either. 

It's weird. I actually have expectations for this team. 

It'll never come out, but I wonder if CJ came to the realization that Mac and Heimerdinger had to go during the search for a head coach. With the leaks to Manish that lead to his hit pieces against the candidates who were perceived to be Mac and Heimerdinger's biggest threats, CJ saw that they were looking out for themselves instead of finding the best coach for the Jets.

At that point it was too late to fire them right away. They were well into the search for a coach, and too close to the start of free agency (and too far into the scouting process for the draft) to start over in the front office.

So the plan was to get rid of them after the draft, and lean on Gase (who is well-connected throughout the league) to help find a new GM.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

The organization often seems like a circus, and that starts at the top. While I know that means Woody and Chris, I don’t think that anyone they’ve fired actually deserved to stay. They just haven’t hired the right people and have handled things poorly from there.

I do genuinely believe that the circus is part of why they can’t hire the right people and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The organization never gets the right candidate because the best candidates want no part of the Jets.

I thought it way earlier in the off-season - Darnold put the organization in a unique situation where there appears to be a franchise QB in place on a rookie deal.

Kudos to ownership for realizing a change was needed at GM and this was an opportunity to get a quality candidate in here and for stepping up and paying to get him. Paying someone a lot and them earning it beats paying two people at once.

Hopefully this is the beginning of some stability for the organization.

The circus is something that the media falls back on because it generates easy clicks for a franchise that has struggled and has created and fed the media circus in the past... I personally don't think anything Chris Johnson has done in the past 6 months warrants the name but only time will tell. 

• Sympathy 1

The Johnsons basically paid Mac off by extending him after he drafted Darnold. 

Most GMs who draft good QBs high get fired.  They were drafting high because they were bad GMs. Once the team has a good QB, other potential GMs become interested.  Drafting a Qb high is like the kiss of death.  Maybe that is why Mac passed on Mahomes and Watson. 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

It's been decades, probably going back to the late Dick Steinberg days, when you could say this about a Jets GM. Now we have a seat at the adult table.

Do you mean the Dick Steinberg that selected Blair Thomas over future Hall of Famers Cortez Kennedy and Junior Seau with the second pick in the 1990 draft, then got outmaneuvered for Brett Favre the following year?  I'm hoping for better than that with Douglas.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

The circus is something that the media falls back on because it generates easy clicks for a franchise that has struggled and has created and fed the media circus in the past... I personally don't think anything Chris Johnson has done in the past 6 months warrants the name but only time will tell. 

I respectfully disagree. Holding onto Mike Maccagnan, reducing your pool of potential head coaches because you're forcing him on them, letting him spend a ton of money in FA, and then letting him run a draft with the #3 pick only to realize he's not a good GM and should be let go was circus-like. And the revolving door of GM's and HC's and reporting relationships doesn't help.

I do think they made the right decision but at the wrong time and they certainly could pay for that.

3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

Do you mean the Dick Steinberg that selected Blair Thomas over future Hall of Famers Cortez Kennedy and Junior Seau with the second pick in the 1990 draft, then got outmaneuvered for Brett Favre the following year?  I'm hoping for better than that with Douglas.

I was referring to the respect aspect. Steinberg was a very highly regarded GM when we got him. He built a roster that got the Pats to the Super Bowl. Sounds like Douglas has a similar reputation in league circles. That’s what I was referring to. Guys like Bradway, Tanny, Idzik and Macc couldn’t hold Steinberg’ s clipboard.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know if I can remember the last time the Jets made a move that was so universally approved and respected. I'd assume the Parcells hire but I was a kid then.

It was amazing how fast Parcells turned things around.  Unfortunately, he left things a bit of a mess when he left.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, derp said:

I respectfully disagree. Holding onto Mike Maccagnan, reducing your pool of potential head coaches because you're forcing him on them, letting him spend a ton of money in FA, and then letting him run a draft with the #3 pick only to realize he's not a good GM and should be let go was circus-like. And the revolving door of GM's and HC's and reporting relationships doesn't help.

I do think they made the right decision but at the wrong time and they certainly could pay for that.

Ok, I understand your opinion... Mac was fired after the draft... Happens, its not the first franchise to do it... and not even the only one to do it this year. I understand that it isn't among the norm... but even when the Jets do it the 'right' way the results have been poor... I'll take CJ coming diagnosing the issues and problems and solving them no matter the timing over waiting another full season to do it when it is deemed acceptable.  

And as for spending money and drafting, CJ thought it might work out... It didn't and CJ made the decision to move on, I respect him for not letting it linger and destroy the season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Matt Rhule may've been the Jets first choice for head coach, but as a college guy with little or no NFL connections, it's probably safe to say that the Jets wouldn't've been able to attract Douglas here. Who knows where the team would be? Probably with Maccagnan still in the big chair. 

Before the team even plays a preseason down, the Gase hire already feels like a pivotal moment in team history. The Jets have a top tier front office and coaching staff for the first time since Parcells. And even then, Parcells was no great GM, and his protege, Tannenbaum, wasn't either. 

I criticize a lot about what this team has done, and I think deservedly so given all the screw-ups, but this is the first time in a while where I feel there is actually an effort to learn from past mistakes. Who knows if Joe Douglas is gonna work out, but I'm happy with the process they took this time around and am pleasantly surprised that they didn't just cheap out at the last minute. Nail the scouting staff next.

Also, shoutout to Todd Bowles for having such an incompetent coaching staff underneath him that it actually made CJ understand "holy **** it's really bad having assistant coaches who are not qualified" for the job.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The Johnsons basically paid Mac off by extending him after he drafted Darnold. 

Most GMs who draft good QBs high get fired.  They were drafting high because they were bad GMs. Once the team has a good QB, other potential GMs become interested.  Drafting a Qb high is like the kiss of death.  Maybe that is why Mac passed on Mahomes and Watson. 

They extended Macc before Darnold was drafted.

Never heard this one before, where most GMs who draft good QBs high then get fired. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

How is Adam Gase a top tier coach?

Look,  I am VERY happy with the Douglas hire and think Chris got this one right.  Moving on from Mac was the right and frankly brave thing to do - knowing he would get ripped for him.

I have new found faith in CJ, love the Douglas hire...but this idea that all of a sudden Gase has become a good HC is just silly.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

It was amazing how fast Parcells turned things around.  Unfortunately, he left things a bit of a mess when he left.

He was hired to win as soon as possible. Hess knew he had little time left. He did what he was hired to do. He almost won us one, and would have if not for a few flukey plays and turn overs.

He also almost left us with arguably the greatest coach in the sport. If BB was a man of his word, or had any balls to talk to Tuna about not overstepping, BB would still be our coach.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

He walked into the perfect situation.  An extremely talented team that had inept coaching (not unlike what's happening now but we don't have quite as much talent) and was stuck with a losing culture.  Parcells is an all time great HC, he was just a terrible GM type.

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He was hired to win as soon as possible. Hess knew he had little time left. He did what he was hired to do. He almost won us one, and would have if not for a few flukey plays and turn overs.

He also almost left us with arguably the greatest coach in the sport. If BB was a man of his word, or had any balls to talk to Tuna about not overstepping, BB would still be our coach.

Parcells cost us BB by not being up front with him and unless BB drafted Brady it's more likely he would have been fired within 3 years if he stayed here.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I was referring to the respect aspect. Steinberg was a very highly regarded GM when we got him. He built a roster that got the Pats to the Super Bowl. Sounds like Douglas has a similar reputation in league circles. That’s what I was referring to. Guys like Bradway, Tanny, Idzik and Macc couldn’t hold Steinberg’ s clipboard.

He was respected and came highly touted, but was a miserable failure.  The Jets never had a winning record and appeared in one playoff game (off an 8-8 season) during his tenure.  I'd say he fits in well with the sorry bunch you listed.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Dick Steinberg 1990-1994(5 seasons): 32-48, 1 playoff app(8-8), zero playoff wins, zero winning seasons

Bradway 2001-2005(5 seasons): 39-41, 3 playoff apps, 2 playoff wins, 1 division title.

Tannenbaum 2006-2012(7 seasons): 57-55, 3 playoff apps, 4 playoff wins, 2 trips to conf title game, drafted lock Hall of famer (which will be first since John Riggins).

But yeah, those guys couldn't hold Steinberg's clipboard?