David Ortiz shot in back in DR, in stable condition

Jetsfan80

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26937958/red-sox-legend-ortiz-stable-shooting-dr

Red Sox legend Ortiz stable after shooting in DR

Former Boston Red Sox slugger and Dominican star David Ortiz is out of surgery and doing "fine," according to his family, after he was shot at a club in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Ortiz's media assistant, Leo Lopez, told ESPN's Enrique Rojas that Ortiz is stable but still in intensive care.

"Doctors say he is out of danger, but he is heavily sedated and will be in intensive care for the next 24 hours," Lopez said.

Lopez, a veteran reporter, said the operation lasted six hours and was performed by three doctors, led by Dr. Abel Gonzalez. The team had to remove part of Ortiz's intestines and colon, as well as his gallbladder. Ortiz suffered liver damage.

"Doctors say that David is out of danger, thank God," Ortiz's father, Leo Ortiz, told ESPN. "What they have told me post-op is that the doctors believe he will recover quickly."

Leo Ortiz added: "Big Papi will be around for a long time.''

Authorities say Ortiz was ambushed by a man who got off a motorcycle and shot him in the back at nearly point-blank range around 8:50 p.m. local time Sunday at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo.

Ortiz, 43, was taken to the Abel Gonzalez clinic, where he underwent surgery.

The gunman was identified as Eddy Feliz Garcia, 25, according to the police spokesman Colonel Frank Duran Mejia. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte said Garcia was captured and beaten by a crowd of people at the bar. He suffered a cranium contusion, trauma to his thorax, trauma on his left knee, and trauma on his right leg, according to the Dominican Republic's National Health Service. He was treated at the Darío Contreras Hospital in Santo Domingo and then released to police custody.

Investigators are trying to determine whether Ortiz was the intended target, Bautista said. Leo Ortiz told local media he has no idea why someone would have shot at his son.

Two other people were wounded, Bautista said, including Jhoel Lopez, a Dominican TV host who was with Ortiz. Bautista said police believe Lopez was wounded by the same bullet.

Lopez was shot in the leg, and his injuries were not life-threatening, said his wife, Liza Blanco, who is also a TV host.

Police did not identify the third person or detail that person's injuries.

Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter from the Dominican who hosts a radio show with ESPN's Rojas, told ESPN he spoke with the doctor who first treated Ortiz and was told Ortiz was shot in the lower back and that the bullet went through his body. According to Soldevila, Ortiz told his doctors, "Please don't let me die. I'm a good man."

The Dial Bar and Lounge is located in eastern Santo Domingo on Venezuela Avenue, a bustling nightlife district packed with dance clubs and pricey bars that Ortiz is known to frequent. Ortiz, who lives at least part of the year in the Dominican, is often seen getting his cars washed and hanging out with friends, including other baseball players, artists and entertainers.

Hall of Fame pitcher and fellow Dominican Pedro Martinez was among several current and former baseball players to send out tweets in support of Ortiz.

I’m at peace knowing you out of danger; you a strong man Compai, can’t wait to hear your voice. My thoughts and prayers are with you, see you soon.

Me siento tranquilo de saber que estás fuera de peligro, usted es fuerte Compai, ya quiero oírle la voz. Orando, nos vemos pronto pic.twitter.com/jdSnNsM7eI

Ortiz, who was born in Santo Domingo, played major league baseball for 20 seasons and was best known for the 14 years he spent with Boston.

The Red Sox issued a statement late Sunday night that said in part, "We have offered David's family all available resources to aid in his recovery and will continue to keep them in our hearts."

Ortiz made 10 All-Star teams and won three World Series with the Red Sox before retiring in 2016. He was named World Series MVP in 2013, when he helped the Red Sox knock off the St. Louis Cardinals 4-2.

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

He's stable, but he is hurt.   Lost his gall bladder, part of his small intestine, part of his colon, some liver damage as well. 

Hate the guy as a player (Yankee fan), but it still sucks.

Hated him too but he can be entertaining now when he commentates.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GATA said:

I think TMZ posted the video of him getting shot. To me that was a hit, they keep calling it an attempted burglary. He's lucky to be alive 

If i were gonna do a hit I'd put 3 in his brain. If I am gonna take the chance in such proximity i'm gonna do it right.