Jump to content
Lith

Douglas Introductory Presser -- 3PM Tuesday

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I 100% fully disagree with your first point of credit to CJ.  He had to be outright mocked as a clueless idiot for months regarding how oblivious he was to Maccagnan, and then told the same by his newly hired HC, in order to "identify" the fact that his GM was a known incompetent to absolutely everyone but himself.  That is deserving of literally no credit whatsoever.

Also, the idea that you have to make hires that are good buddies is ridiculous, and simply fits a present day narrative (and Tanny/Rex doesn't really come close to Rex/Idzik or Mac/Bowles).  Bottom line, if you simply hire two professionals who are both good at their jobs, you wouldn't have these problems.  However, in fairness, the refusing to take no as answer for the guy who was their top candidate, no matter the cost, is at least one thing I will admit is certainly deserving of credit.

CJ essentially admitted that he didn't fire both men at once because he recognized he wasn't qualified to fill both jobs at once. It's a frustrating state of affairs, but I get it. I think the only way he could've feasibly fired both men at once would've been if he had an in-house candidate to take over (Heimerdinger?) and let that man run the head coach search. Obviously, he didn't have that. 

Never said anything about good buddies, but you need two guys who are on the same page. If the Jets ran in a traditional way, had a GM who was the boss hiring a head coach, he would hire someone he was comfortable with - maybe even familiar with- and that would be both expected and accepted. In this case, they had the head coach in place. You wanna support the head coach you just hired a few months ago? You hire a guy who shares his vision. The Woody model of hiring two guys and telling them to work together is a fail from the start. Two professionals who are good at their jobs could very easily be at odds, especially with the short term goals of the coach and long term goals of the GM. Better to pair people who start off on at least a similar page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Hence, Gase is looking at the wrong one.  As the other two are looking directly at the one in the photo.

I am not sure that there is a procedure where there is someone directing everyone to look at camera "a", then camera "b", etc, etc.

I think we may be thinking this a little too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

He had to be outright mocked as a clueless idiot for months regarding how oblivious he was to Maccagnan, and then told the same by his newly hired HC, in order to "identify" the fact that his GM was a known incompetent to absolutely everyone but himself.  That is deserving of literally no credit whatsoever. 

Who the hell mocked him as a clueless idiot for months?  Where?  You and a few others who whine over everything Jets? 

What's worse that you believe this or that you just refuse to give him an ounce of credit for setting a problem and fixing it?  It never ends.

 

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not sure that there is a procedure where there is someone directing everyone to look at camera "a", then camera "b", etc, etc.

I think we may be thinking this a little too far.

The overthinking it train definitely left the station to moment you tried to inject reality into a pretty mediocre and innocuous throwaway joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this dude.  He seems like an actual GM for us. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slats said:

The guy's a novice. To me, this is more an indictment of Woody Johnson to not hire a President of Football Operations to run the team and report to him, rather than Woody incompetently handling that job himself. With such a man in place, CJ could've fired both Mac & Bowles at the same time, and hopefully a competent President along with Darnold would've attracted better candidates than the team has in the past. 

All of that said, CJ deserves credit for two things in my mind: 

First, once he identified that Mac had to go, he let him go. And for whatever reason he felt Heimerdinger needed to go, too, and handled it. Wasn't afraid to take the heat for the timing. either. Better late than never. 

Second, he avoided the arranged marriages that Woody favors; Tanny-Rex, Rex-Idzik, Mac-Bowles. Instead, he clearly took the counsel of his new head coach. After interviewing four qualified candidates, he went after the guy his head coach wanted and refused to take no for an answer. Upped his offer from 4/$7.6M to 6/$19.2M. That's not the sort of thing we heard about happening here when Woody was on this side of the pond. 

Yeah, now it has to work. But I like the fact that they targeted a #1 candidate and landed him. That alone is a big change in Jetland. 

Good for Douglas holding out for such a huge raise from the original offer. Sounds like a good negotiator- just what we need. 

Chris may not know much about football but he certainly seems to know more about organizational dynamics than Woody  

And I really appreciate Douglas acknowledging the fan base  

you can tell he is steeped in Eagles culture where the fan base is monolithic, and demanding  

its about time “Jets Nation” stopped being ignored, I for one am tired of it 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, slats said:

The guy's a novice. To me, this is more an indictment of Woody Johnson to not hire a President of Football Operations to run the team and report to him, rather than Woody incompetently handling that job himself. With such a man in place, CJ could've fired both Mac & Bowles at the same time, and hopefully a competent President along with Darnold would've attracted better candidates than the team has in the past. 

All of that said, CJ deserves credit for two things in my mind: 

First, once he identified that Mac had to go, he let him go. And for whatever reason he felt Heimerdinger needed to go, too, and handled it. Wasn't afraid to take the heat for the timing. either. Better late than never. 

Second, he avoided the arranged marriages that Woody favors; Tanny-Rex, Rex-Idzik, Mac-Bowles. Instead, he clearly took the counsel of his new head coach. After interviewing four qualified candidates, he went after the guy his head coach wanted and refused to take no for an answer. Upped his offer from 4/$7.6M to 6/$19.2M. That's not the sort of thing we heard about happening here when Woody was on this side of the pond. 

Yeah, now it has to work. But I like the fact that they targeted a #1 candidate and landed him. That alone is a big change in Jetland. 

Problem is the Johnsons will readily hire a Neal Glatt or a Dan Doctoroff to be "Club President". They are never going to hire a Football Ops guy. This setup is about the best you can hope for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...