Donnie Abraham:Glowing things to say about Bowles defense

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We did? 

Look it is simple...

Bowles was Assistant Coach of the year before he came to the Jets.  His defenses were aggressive, innovative and masked  frequent injuries in Arizona but we saw little of that innovation and teaching when Bowles was here as the Jets HC.....

Rogers was NOT a good DC in IMO and since Bowles let him be responsible for that side of the ball and because Bwles really had zero knowledge about how to craft a competent offense or the ability to get competent coaches in here he had to go...

But that doesn't take from the fact that the man is a good DC....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Exactly, that's what spring boarded him  into HC job.

There are plenty of HCs who keep their former coordinator jobs in large part and rely on the named coordinator to really just help.  Gase with this year’s Jet offense is one of them.  

We know Bellichick keeps a hand on the defense.  Dan Quinn in Atlanta may be the DC in name too.   Pedersen and McVay are really Offensive Coordinators. 

Mike Tomlin is really a CEO.  If you have the Coordinators, that is great.   But the key is that you don’t delegate unless the delegatee can handle it.  That was Bowles failure, really.   He insisted that Kacy do the job even though he was not able.  Kacy was sick, Bowles filled in, and the defense actually looked pretty good.  Kacy came back, Bowles gave it back, and the defense stunk again.  

The Jets will be a much better coached team this year.   How much better of a team?  I don’t know.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look it is simple...

Bowles was Assistant Coach of the year before he came to the Jets.  His defenses were aggressive, innovative and masked  frequent injuries in Arizona but we saw little of that innovation and teaching when Bowles was here as the Jets HC.....

Rogers was NOT a good DC in IMO and since Bowles let him be responsible for that side of the ball and because Bwles really had zero knowledge about how to craft a competent offense or the ability to get competent coaches in here he had to go...

He rode Bruce Arian's coat tails in Arizona he was a failure in all aspects all 4 years here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Interesting article https://www.tampabay.com/data/2019/06/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-film-study-with-donnie-abraham-todd-bowles-rookie-defensive-backs-will-surprise/

Count former Pro Bowl cornerback Donnie Abraham among the believers in coordinator Todd Bowles’ aggressive system.

Why?

“I’ve been in this scheme,” Abraham told the Tampa Bay Times. “I’ve seen how it’s done. I’ve seen the way it has been coached.”

“He doesn’t sit back.”

Didn’t Abraham play in Tony Dungy’s and Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 system? He did indeed, from 1996 to 2001.

More recently, though, he was an assistant coach on a defense that adopted Bowles’ system and saw immediate results — the Alliance of American Football’s Orlando Apollos. Before the AAF suspended operations in April, the Apollos won seven of their eight games and held opponents to 17 points per game, the second fewest. The defensive coordinator was Bob Sanders, the linebackers coach for Bruce Arians’ Cardinals teams from 2015 to 2017.

RELATED STORY: Is the Bucs’ secondary “totally fixed," as Bruce Arians says?

One of the staples of a Bowles defense is its flexibility, Abraham said.

“It looks like something, but when the ball is snapped, it’s something different,” he said. “It’s always changing. You can have one call in this defensive scheme, and it can be played five different ways. It takes a minute before the offense figures it out.”

Any quotes about his offense?Didn't think so. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope neither disagree. 

He didn't call plays with the Jets... When he did, the Jets played well on defense.... Is he a great DC.... No, not at all.  I don't understand the LB and CB presnap positioning that always seems to place the players in poor areas that they are always having to play catch up...  But he is a decent DC for play calling... 

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Bowels is a fine DC.. Rogers not so much.  

But we knew this already..........

I hear a lot of this. My question would be if he was such a great DC, why didn’t he pass that along to Rogers? I thought the D at times was good but more often than not bad. Just standing there on the sidelines with no expression and no answers week in and week out. He doesn’t get a pass from me just because he was the HC. Gase is the HC but if the Offense stinks this year my guess is that Gase will own up to it being on him. Just glad it’s over. I’ve moved on from Bowles.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look it is simple...

I disagree-I’m sure Bowles had his hand in the defense. The biggest issue was McCagnan didn’t give him the pieces to work with here. 

As we saw with Rex it’s much easier to run a blitz happy defense with Darrelle Revis and Patrick Peterson at CB. 

45 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Look it is simple...

Bowles was Assistant Coach of the year before he came to the Jets.  His defenses were aggressive, innovative and ................

Meaningless crony awards. Mike Mac was the NFL exec of the year not long ago and may wind up an asst manager of a Cinnabon.

BTW anyone else wonder if Donnie Abraham may be putting this B/S out there because he needs a job and hopes Bowles can do something??

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Meaningless crony awards. Mike Mac was the NFL exec of the year not long ago and may wind up an asst manager of a Cinnabon.

BTW anyone else wonder if Donnie Abraham may be putting this B/S out there because he needs a job and hopes Bowles can do something??

He made a lot of money in his career