WayneChrebet80

Donnie Abraham:Glowing things to say about Bowles defense

8 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Interesting article https://www.tampabay.com/data/2019/06/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-film-study-with-donnie-abraham-todd-bowles-rookie-defensive-backs-will-surprise/

Count former Pro Bowl cornerback Donnie Abraham among the believers in coordinator Todd Bowles’ aggressive system.

Why?

“I’ve been in this scheme,” Abraham told the Tampa Bay Times. “I’ve seen how it’s done. I’ve seen the way it has been coached.”

“He doesn’t sit back.”

Didn’t Abraham play in Tony Dungy’s and Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 system? He did indeed, from 1996 to 2001.

More recently, though, he was an assistant coach on a defense that adopted Bowles’ system and saw immediate results — the Alliance of American Football’s Orlando Apollos. Before the AAF suspended operations in April, the Apollos won seven of their eight games and held opponents to 17 points per game, the second fewest. The defensive coordinator was Bob Sanders, the linebackers coach for Bruce Arians’ Cardinals teams from 2015 to 2017.

RELATED STORY: Is the Bucs’ secondary “totally fixed," as Bruce Arians says?

One of the staples of a Bowles defense is its flexibility, Abraham said.

“It looks like something, but when the ball is snapped, it’s something different,” he said. “It’s always changing. You can have one call in this defensive scheme, and it can be played five different ways. It takes a minute before the offense figures it out.”

Donnie, wait till you see the results on the field, you will go from impressed to depressed.

You are correct in its flexibility though. Todd is able to allow opposing defenses to accumulate yards through the air or on the ground, depending on their desire. Good luck Donnie.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company