He made a lot of money in his career

Big deal. So have I.

41 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Can someone please stop this idiot from making any more threads 

I think he is unstoppable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, varjet said:

There are plenty of HCs who keep their former coordinator jobs in large part and rely on the named coordinator to really just help.  Gase with this year’s Jet offense is one of them.  

We know Bellichick keeps a hand on the defense.  Dan Quinn in Atlanta may be the DC in name too.   Pedersen and McVay are really Offensive Coordinators. 

Mike Tomlin is really a CEO.  If you have the Coordinators, that is great.   But the key is that you don’t delegate unless the delegatee can handle it.  That was Bowles failure, really.   He insisted that Kacy do the job even though he was not able.  Kacy was sick, Bowles filled in, and the defense actually looked pretty good.  Kacy came back, Bowles gave it back, and the defense stunk again.  

The Jets will be a much better coached team this year.   How much better of a team?  I don’t know.  

Well said. I think he had trouble with the HC responsibilities as well.  If all of that self esteem power struggle stuff we heard about Bowles is true, you can see how he would have a tough time succeeding at all.  Bowles' head was stuck on the wrong areas and he just may not be cut out to be a HC(obviously). I personally wonder if he is simply behind the curve of the NFL evolution and that would mean he has trouble keeping up with the new offensive trends as a DC as well.  It will be interesting to see how he does as a DC after the 4 years as a HC.  I tend to root for all former Jets to fail when they are not on our team anymore so I'll be curious to see how he does. The truth is he may do well not having to worry about his position as the top dog and simply focused on the D.  Some guys are just not meant to be HC's. Bowles may not even be cut out to be a DC anymore either.

You know the troll game is getting awful when you can read a thread title an immediately know who created it without checking.

Try a little subtleness occasionally.  Trolling used to be an art form.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

He is? Really? Did you watch the defense the last 4 years? And one more thing, can't someone ban WayneChrebet80 from starting any new topics on here?

giphy.gif

Yes, I did watch... He didn't call plays and wasn't focused only on Def... hence why I said bad HC good DC... Arizona had some very good Def while arians was HC.... Hence why Bowles got the job.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You know the troll game is getting awful when you can read a thread title an immediately know who created it without checking.

Try a little subtleness occasionally.  Trolling used to be an art form.

Don’t read if you are not interested in the topic. 

• Butt Fumble 1

We all witnessed TB HC NY Jets why are we even having this discussion he was terrible here. 

NO EXCUSES 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

It's a good defense.  

When it works it works very well. When it doesn't it's highly adaptable.

You just wait until we see the film on Tuesday and we'll fix it right up. 

I've seen it shut down many good offenses until they figure it out.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Bowels is a fine DC.. Rogers not so much.  

But we knew this already..........

Do you really think Bowles stood idly by all those years and watched HIs "protege" fail continuously?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Defenses were solid in Arizona, statistically.  Won a "Coordinator of the Year" award.  Was just hired as DC under Bruce Arians, again. 

All the evidence points to him being a very good DC. 

I could be way off but weren't his two teams in AZ ranked 7th or so and 24th?  I understand a lot goes into the why part of the equation but more than the ranking its not an overwhelming amount of years.  And other than those two season wasn't a D.C. Before or after?  

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

You would think after so many complain about you and your threads you might stop for a rest.

• Upvote 2

Bowles biggest problem on defense was letting Roger's run it. The couple games last year when he was sick was some of the best I've seen Bowles defense played here.

• Upvote 1

Flash back to Todd replacing Rex:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/jace_amaro_rex_ryan_didnt_hold_jets_accountable.html

Jets players are eager to say how no-nonsense new head coach Todd Bowles seems to be.

"He's a very stern guy, a very stern coach," quarterback Geno Smith said, per the team's website.

"Strong-minded, and to the team he speaks his mind," defensive end Sheldon Richardson told the team's website.

"We got to see him up in front of the team [Monday] morning," center Nick Mangold told reporters Monday. "He's got a great passion."

But tight end Jace Amaro, now entering his second season, was the first to draw a distinction between Bowles and Rex Ryan, who was fired after 2014 and is now the head man with the Bills.

In an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio, Amaro didn't mention Ryan by name. But he didn't have to.

"He's not really playing around with everyone being late," Amaro said of Bowles. "We had an issue with that last year. Guys just weren't accountable last year as much as they could be. I think that's the biggest thing. [bowles is] making sure everyone's gonna be 100 percent in or he's not going to be on the team."

Smith had missed a meeting because of some time-zone confusion on the night before the Jets got drilled by the Chargers last October. But by saying tardiness was "an issue," Amaro implied the problem wasn't just about that isolated incident involving Smith. Amaro also implied that compared to Ryan, Bowles won't be messing around.

• Haha 3

On 6/10/2019 at 1:56 PM, MaxAF said:

I hear a lot of this. My question would be if he was such a great DC, why didn’t he pass that along to Rogers? 

Who hasn't moved on from Bowles?

I neither implied or indicated that I said Bowles was a good HC. In fact I specifically stated that Bowles should have been fired.

Come on now..... 

Just because Bowles was the HC in no way in the world does that mean that Rogers was SUPPOSED to be a good DC......

Bowles had little juice as far as garnering top flight coaching talent that is evident and his staff overall would have embarrassed a good high school team but that doesn't mean he was a poor DC in the past.. 

It just doesn't....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

He insisted that Kacy do the job even though he was not able.  Kacy was sick, Bowles filled in, and the defense actually looked pretty good.  Kacy came back, Bowles gave it back, and the defense stunk again.  

Dropped by to say exactly this. The defense looked a lot better when Bowles was calling the plays. His loyalty to Rodgers was a big part of his downfall. 

• Upvote 3

Todd seemed to be a good defensive coordinator before he was here. He was terrible at putting together a staff so there's that. And whatever dirt Kacy Rodgers had on him didn't help.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Meaningless crony awards.........................

BTW anyone else wonder if Donnie Abraham may be putting this B/S out there because he needs a job and hopes Bowles can do something??

Jets fans can not be serious with this...

Bowels WON the award for stuff like this...

https://www.si.com/2014/09/23/arizona-cardinals-defense-todd-bowles

Safety In Numbers

September 23, 2014

As you watch football week to week, you see new things crop up and wonder if they are trends or simply the result of teams playing the game with different lineup combinations. Necessity was the mother of invention in Arizona this year, with defensive coordinator Todd Bowles drawing up a new style of play because he had no other choice. The different usage of his marauding safeties has played a big role in the Cardinals’ 3-0 start.

It especially was evident Sunday, in the 23-14 victory over the 49ers.

So Bowles decided, particularly in nickel situations, to play safeties near the line, and to play safeties pretty much everywhere. It’s not unusual to see four safeties on the field for the Cardinals, and they have four good ones: starters Tony Jefferson and Tyrann Mathieu, and quasi-starters Deone Bucannon and Rashad Johnson. That’s how they’re listed on the depth chart, but on Sunday, Johnson was the starter at free safety and played all 64 snaps, and Bucannon, the rookie first-round pick, played a hybrid role that had him playing linebacker much of the game. Jefferson, a strong safety, also plays down in the box and had 52 snaps. Mathieu is still recovering from major knee surgery nine months ago and isn’t ready for a full role yet.

“We were losing a lot of players in the off-season," Bowles said Monday from Arizona, “and losing a lot of pass rushers. So when we get to third down, most of our better athletes are now defensive backs who can play some nickel linebacker down in the box. With all the DBs on the field, I guess it’s hard [for a quarterback] to point out who the Mike linebacker is—so that leaves the offense in a little bit of confusion. You’ve got four safeties who can come back or come up, so you kind of play with that a little bit to offset some of your lack of pass rush.” 

In the first half against the Niners, Kaepernick often went no-huddle, and that prevented the Cardinals from adjusting on the fly to moving the safeties down in the box and adding them depending on the situation. In the second half, the Niners slowed down, and that helped Arizona make changes more often. “Last year," said Bowles, “we had two three-down linebackers in Karlos and Daryl, so it was easy to leave them on the field, because they can do more things than the ones we have this year. So in order for us to be a little bit faster, we have safeties that can tackle and play in the box and they can get to the quarterback a little faster, as well as messing up the blocking scheme. So that helps out a lot … We don’t have the impact players that you always had, but from a chemistry standpoint, the way the players get along and communicate makes it kind of easy to do

Bowles, a former NFL defensive back, is in his 14th years as an NFL assistant. He played for Joe Gibbs in Washington and coached under Bill Parcells in Dallas. I asked him what he learned under two of the best coaches, and mentors, in recent years.

“Coach Gibbs was very meticulous," said Bowles. “He was an outstanding X’s and O’s guy. And under coach Gibbs I had Richie Petitbon as coordinator, and he was one of the best X’s and O’s guys that I’ve ever been around. He taught me how to watch film and how to see the football game and really become kind of a coach on the field and see what’s going to happen to you and how to diagnose things.

He’s using them all in Arizona now. And it would be a surprise if Bowles doesn’t get a chance to use them as an NFL head coach. Soon.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmmmmm now you show me an article from the time that Bowles was a DC that said he sucked......

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

CB even the Flim Flam BBQ man was better then Bowles..:wacko:

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

Do you really think Bowles stood idly by all those years and watched HIs "protege" fail continuously?

Ummm Bowles was essentially incompetent as a HC as shown by the rest of his FAILING staff!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Savage69 said:

CB even the Flim Flam BBQ man was better then Bowles..:wacko:

I agree 100% as a HC and it is not even close, but we aren't talking about Bowles as a HC....

As you well know Edwards was never ever a DC in the NFL... :) 

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I didn't read any of it.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Jets fans can not be serious with this...

Bowels WON the award for stuff like this...

https://www.si.com/2014/09/23/arizona-cardinals-defense-todd-bowles

Safety In Numbers

By PETER KING 
September 23, 2014

As you watch football week to week, you see new things crop up and wonder if they are trends or simply the result of teams playing the game with different lineup combinations. Necessity was the mother of invention in Arizona this year, with defensive coordinator Todd Bowles drawing up a new style of play because he had no other choice. The different usage of his marauding safeties has played a big role in the Cardinals’ 3-0 start.

It especially was evident Sunday, in the 23-14 victory over the 49ers.

The best coaches find ways to win when they’re at a personnel disadvantage. That’s what Bowles has done in the first three weeks of the season, when he’s been forced to find solutions with a different cast than he fielded last year as a first-year Cardinal defensive play-caller. Both three-down linebackers were lost—Daryl Washington to a season-long drug suspension and Karlos Dansby in free agency to Cleveland. This summer, two more defensive playmakers disappeared—tackle and team leader Darnell Dockett to an ACL tear and pass rusher John Abraham to IR with a concussion.

So Bowles decided, particularly in nickel situations, to play safeties near the line, and to play safeties pretty much everywhere. It’s not unusual to see four safeties on the field for the Cardinals, and they have four good ones: starters Tony Jefferson and Tyrann Mathieu, and quasi-starters Deone Bucannon and Rashad Johnson. That’s how they’re listed on the depth chart, but on Sunday, Johnson was the starter at free safety and played all 64 snaps, and Bucannon, the rookie first-round pick, played a hybrid role that had him playing linebacker much of the game. Jefferson, a strong safety, also plays down in the box and had 52 snaps. Mathieu is still recovering from major knee surgery nine months ago and isn’t ready for a full role yet.

Bowles isn’t the only defensive coach finding different uses for safeties, because of the advanced use of athletic tight ends and three- and four-receiver sets, but so far this year he’s the most effective. On Sunday, he tormented Colin Kaepernick with Jefferson and Bucannon playing down at inside linebacker several times. Bucannon was impressive because he didn’t get caught in the wave of misdirection that San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman was throwing at the Cardinals. Usually, a veteran play-caller can get a rookie to bite on misdirection, but Bucannon is a mature player who stayed home on several snaps flowing left and made plays.

“We were losing a lot of players in the off-season," Bowles said Monday from Arizona, “and losing a lot of pass rushers. So when we get to third down, most of our better athletes are now defensive backs who can play some nickel linebacker down in the box. With all the DBs on the field, I guess it’s hard [for a quarterback] to point out who the Mike linebacker is—so that leaves the offense in a little bit of confusion. You’ve got four safeties who can come back or come up, so you kind of play with that a little bit to offset some of your lack of pass rush.” 

In the first half against the Niners, Kaepernick often went no-huddle, and that prevented the Cardinals from adjusting on the fly to moving the safeties down in the box and adding them depending on the situation. In the second half, the Niners slowed down, and that helped Arizona make changes more often. “Last year," said Bowles, “we had two three-down linebackers in Karlos and Daryl, so it was easy to leave them on the field, because they can do more things than the ones we have this year. So in order for us to be a little bit faster, we have safeties that can tackle and play in the box and they can get to the quarterback a little faster, as well as messing up the blocking scheme. So that helps out a lot … We don’t have the impact players that you always had, but from a chemistry standpoint, the way the players get along and communicate makes it kind of easy to do

Bowles, a former NFL defensive back, is in his 14th years as an NFL assistant. He played for Joe Gibbs in Washington and coached under Bill Parcells in Dallas. I asked him what he learned under two of the best coaches, and mentors, in recent years.

“Coach Gibbs was very meticulous," said Bowles. “He was an outstanding X’s and O’s guy. And under coach Gibbs I had Richie Petitbon as coordinator, and he was one of the best X’s and O’s guys that I’ve ever been around. He taught me how to watch film and how to see the football game and really become kind of a coach on the field and see what’s going to happen to you and how to diagnose things.

“Coach Parcells taught me from a coaching standpoint how to look at the game, how to treat coaches, what to look for every day—he taught me the entire game overall. I think he doesn’t get enough credit for how great he was at seeing the entire game, offensively and defensively. He knew how to push players’ buttons. He knew what they could and couldn’t do. He had an idea from the first guy on the roster to the last guy on the roster about how he would play them if they had to play. I learned a great deal from him about using all my pieces.’’

He’s using them all in Arizona now. And it would be a surprise if Bowles doesn’t get a chance to use them as an NFL head coach. Soon.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmmmmm now you show me an article from the time that Bowles was a DC that said he sucked......

Fair enough .....however if that snapshot is gonna determine his overall reputation and ability as as a DC hold on for 5 minutes while I find a few seasons where Gregg Williams coached defenses finished bottom 3rd.  

I'll take Williams over Bowles thank you Charles ☺

Looking forward to Todd Bowles Top 5 Defence next season, with a Big bowl of pop corn..

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We did? 

Yes, we did. ;-)

No surprise, we got the Rodgers defense 

I'm wary of "good defensive coordinators" who aren't able to spot the attributes of what is a "good defensive coordinator" in another human they hire to do that for them

• Upvote 1

I agree 100% as a HC and it is not even close, but we aren't talking about Bowles as a HC....

As you well know Bowles was never ever a DC in the NFL... :) 

He was for all of two seasons in AZ after finishing up as DC in Philly after they fired their DC I believe.

Was Bowles really that great as a DC? Maybe. The next couple of years will be telling. I'm not sold.

Cardinals Rankings

2012 - 17th PA, 12th YA
--- Bowles Becomes DC ---
2013 - 7th PA, 27th YA (added Karlos Dansby + Tyrann Mathieu)
2014 - 5th PA, 24th YA
--- Bowles Leaves ---
2015 - 8th PA, 5th YA

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Interesting article https://www.tampabay.com/data/2019/06/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-film-study-with-donnie-abraham-todd-bowles-rookie-defensive-backs-will-surprise/

Count former Pro Bowl cornerback Donnie Abraham among the believers in coordinator Todd Bowles’ aggressive system.

Why?

“I’ve been in this scheme,” Abraham told the Tampa Bay Times. “I’ve seen how it’s done. I’ve seen the way it has been coached.”

“He doesn’t sit back.”

Didn’t Abraham play in Tony Dungy’s and Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 system? He did indeed, from 1996 to 2001.

More recently, though, he was an assistant coach on a defense that adopted Bowles’ system and saw immediate results — the Alliance of American Football’s Orlando Apollos. Before the AAF suspended operations in April, the Apollos won seven of their eight games and held opponents to 17 points per game, the second fewest. The defensive coordinator was Bob Sanders, the linebackers coach for Bruce Arians’ Cardinals teams from 2015 to 2017.

RELATED STORY: Is the Bucs’ secondary “totally fixed," as Bruce Arians says?

One of the staples of a Bowles defense is its flexibility, Abraham said.

“It looks like something, but when the ball is snapped, it’s something different,” he said. “It’s always changing. You can have one call in this defensive scheme, and it can be played five different ways. It takes a minute before the offense figures it out.”

Bowles AND D. Abraham both SUCKED. Hard. 

LOL. Such a bad troll...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He rode Bruce Arian's coat tails in Arizona he was a failure in all aspects all 4 years here. 

Actually he rode a Defense that was populated by All Pros almost to a man.

Why did it take over 20 years for Bowles to be named a DC?  Also his close friend Arians gave him the job, now he did again.

Why was Bowles only an Assistant on multiple teams over that 20+ year time period?

The point I’m trying to make is it seems no other team saw him having any great coaching prowess.

How come even in the 4th year with the Jets his D backfield looked like the Tower of Babel many times?  (And D backs were supposedly his strong suit).

I think he is a poor coach in too many ways, the most glaring his inability to make adjustments.

But I’ll be really interested to be proven wrong with his D down in Tampa.  It’s not filled with All Pros, similar to the Jets, so I think it gets torched....a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Yes, I did watch... He didn't call plays and wasn't focused only on Def... hence why I said bad HC good DC... Arizona had some very good Def while arians was HC.... Hence why Bowles got the job.

Listen, when you are the HC of a football team you are involved in all aspects, and at the end of the day the buck stops with you, You can't blame Kacey for an inept defense, Bowles is accountable. Like a previous person noted Bowles was involved with the defense. Not once when he was here did I see him make any adjustment during game situations. He was horrible here and as head coach he is responsible for the actions of his staff. You are right, he was in over his head as a HC, but that does not exonerate him for the lousy coaching. The main problem was that the owners allowed him 4 years here. Whats the next thread going to be about, how Kotite wasn't as bad as his record either.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

It takes a minute before the offense figures it out.”

Seems about right