WayneChrebet80

Donnie Abraham:Glowing things to say about Bowles defense

8 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Interesting article https://www.tampabay.com/data/2019/06/10/tampa-bay-buccaneers-film-study-with-donnie-abraham-todd-bowles-rookie-defensive-backs-will-surprise/

Count former Pro Bowl cornerback Donnie Abraham among the believers in coordinator Todd Bowles’ aggressive system.

Why?

“I’ve been in this scheme,” Abraham told the Tampa Bay Times. “I’ve seen how it’s done. I’ve seen the way it has been coached.”

“He doesn’t sit back.”

Didn’t Abraham play in Tony Dungy’s and Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 system? He did indeed, from 1996 to 2001.

More recently, though, he was an assistant coach on a defense that adopted Bowles’ system and saw immediate results — the Alliance of American Football’s Orlando Apollos. Before the AAF suspended operations in April, the Apollos won seven of their eight games and held opponents to 17 points per game, the second fewest. The defensive coordinator was Bob Sanders, the linebackers coach for Bruce Arians’ Cardinals teams from 2015 to 2017.

RELATED STORY: Is the Bucs’ secondary “totally fixed," as Bruce Arians says?

One of the staples of a Bowles defense is its flexibility, Abraham said.

“It looks like something, but when the ball is snapped, it’s something different,” he said. “It’s always changing. You can have one call in this defensive scheme, and it can be played five different ways. It takes a minute before the offense figures it out.”

Donnie, wait till you see the results on the field, you will go from impressed to depressed.

You are correct in its flexibility though. Todd is able to allow opposing defenses to accumulate yards through the air or on the ground, depending on their desire. Good luck Donnie.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummm Bowles was essentially incompetent as a HC as shown by the rest of his FAILING staff!

but he was a fine DC, you say?  Answer does not compute.

10 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

He is? Really? Did you watch the defense the last 4 years? And one more thing, can't someone ban WayneChrebet80 from starting any new topics on here?

giphy.gif

This.....    

Well said bro....

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Was Bowles really that great as a DC? Maybe. The next couple of years will be telling. I'm not sold.

Cardinals Rankings

2012 - 17th PA, 12th YA
--- Bowles Becomes DC ---
2013 - 7th PA, 27th YA (added Karlos Dansby + Tyrann Mathieu)
2014 - 5th PA, 24th YA
--- Bowles Leaves ---
2015 - 8th PA, 5th YA

There you go, thanks for the stats.  Whatever "success" Bowles had in AZ was ALL due to one of the best D's Personnel wise in the league.  Whoever watched Jet games the last 4 years saw the guy is clueless the second the opposition figures out what he is doing.

Guy has a lot of juice in the league, now he is a multimillionaire, due to being way over hired, good for him.  Just glad he is now far away from my team.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Defenses were solid in Arizona, statistically.  Won a "Coordinator of the Year" award.  Was just hired as DC under Bruce Arians, again. 

All the evidence points to him being a very good DC. 

Agree. In the few games last year where he made the calls on defense while Kacy Rogers was out with a health scare, the defense played very well. 

Some guys are meant to be generals while others are better off remaining as lieutenants. Bowles is in the latter category.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He was for all of two seasons in AZ after finishing up as DC in Philly after they fired their DC I believe.

I meant Edwards!! Hahahhaha :) 

• Upvote 1

I can’t believe this Malook got a HC job in the NFL & made millions of dollars as a complete & utter failure! 

Then, he gets re upped & paid for 2 years he won’t even be here & gets another job from his buddy Ariens! 

Life is not fair & I watched him ruin my favorite team. This guy had a horseshoe up his azz & stepped in sh*t at the same time. Meanwhile Jets fans are punching into their 9-5 jobs & getting their STH bills.

I despise Todd Bowles & loathe Charlie Casserly for suggesting him to Woody. 

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

There you go, thanks for the stats.  Whatever "success" Bowles had in AZ was ALL due to one of the best D's Personnel wise in the league.  Whoever watched Jet games the last 4 years saw the guy is clueless the second the opposition figures out what he is doing.

Guy has a lot of juice in the league, now he is a multimillionaire, due to being way over hired, good for him.  Just glad he is now far away from my team.

he had some talent. but he went down to Carolina in the post season and got shredded.  That is all I knew about Bowles before he came here.  He did not disappoint.

15 hours ago, slats said:

Dropped by to say exactly this. The defense looked a lot better when Bowles was calling the plays. His loyalty to Rodgers was a big part of his downfall. 

Just coincidence or was it the games where the Jets were able to run the ball effectively and eat clock . Bowles is an old school DC which is a bad fit for today's NFL , his systems only work when you can effectively run the ball. Let's see how it works out in TB with their feared run game 😒

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I meant Edwards!! Hahahhaha :) 

Got it! 

Yeah, I think we all get it.  Todd Bowles is a bad head coach.

But now, he is a DC for another team.  In a different conference.  That we don't play this year.  It does not matter to me if he does or does not have success.  While I am not rooting for him; I am not rooting agianst him either.  Has no bearing on the Jets at all; so I really don't care.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I can’t believe this Malook got a HC job in the NFL & made millions of dollars as a complete & utter failure! 

Then, he gets re upped & paid for 2 years he won’t even be here & gets another job from his buddy Ariens! 

Life is not fair & I watched him ruin my favorite team. This guy had a horseshoe up his azz & stepped in sh*t at the same time. Meanwhile Jets fans are punching into their 9-5 jobs & getting their STH bills.

I despise Todd Bowles & loathe Charlie Casserly for suggesting him to Woody. 

Bowles was considered a hot candidate. If not the Jets he was getting a job elsewhere that year.

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

But now, he is a DC for another team.  In a different conference.  That we don't play this year.  It does not matter to me if he does or does not have success.  While I am not rooting for him; I am not rooting agianst him either.  Has no bearing on the Jets at all; so I really don't care.

F*ck Todd F*cking Bowles! He ruined 4 years of my Jets fandom! Guys walked all over him, had no respect for him, loved because he let them walk all over him, spent millions of dollars & numerous draft picks on defense (HE'S A DEFENSIVE COACH SO DON'T TELL ME HE HAD NO INFLUENCE ON THE WAFFLING MACC DADDY!)

Could you imagine the Patriots defense dancing around like a bunch of idiots on national TV & being ranked 29th in the league? LMAO! I'd love to hear how Belichick would react to that sh*t.

Under Bowles this team was like a classroom under a substitute teacher. It pisses me off it took 4 years to do something about it, I wanted him fired after the freaking Bills game in 2015. I have nightmares of seeing that stupid arms crossed eyes rolled sh*t eating grin on the sideline. F*cker was an imposter grinning all the way to the bank while Jet fans suffered for 4 years watching this dudes ineptness. I'm telling you, Bowles was WORSE than Kotite! 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jetster said:

F*ck Todd F*cking Bowles! He ruined 4 years of my Jets fandom! Guys walked all over him, had no respect for him, loved because he let them walk all over him, spent millions of dollars & numerous draft picks on defense (HE'S A DEFENSIVE COACH SO DON'T TELL ME HE HAD NO INFLUENCE ON THE WAFFLING MACC DADDY!)

Could you imagine the Patriots defense dancing around like a bunch of idiots on national TV & being ranked 29th in the league? LMAO! I'd love to hear how Belichick would react to that sh*t.

Under Bowles this team was like a classroom under a substitute teacher. It pisses me off it took 4 years to do something about it, I wanted him fired after the freaking Bills game in 2015. I have nightmares of seeing that stupid arms crossed eyes rolled sh*t eating grin on the sideline. F*cker was an imposter grinning all the way to the bank while Jet fans suffered for 4 years watching this dudes ineptness. I'm telling you, Bowles was WORSE than Kotite! 

And nothing he does in Tampa is going to change that.  He is a bad head coach.  I wanted him gone.  You wanted him gone.  Well, he is gone.  And what he does in Tampa does not matter.  At least not to me. 

I will not take pleasure in him failling in Tampa and it will not bother me if he succeeds.  I don't hate the guy; I am just glad he is not our coach anymore.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree , at least with Kotite we knew what we were getting. Bowles came in under the auspices of being some great defensive mastermind which was quickly and thoroughly proved wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So the millions of dollars and numerous draft picks on defense dried up as soon as Bowles was fired, and an offensive-minded HC was hired in his stead, right?

Bowles sucked, and should have been fired before his extension (along with his GM counterpart), but I can only imagine his scapegoating after yet another offseason of all-defense plus only short game / ground & pound investments in the offense. Even the $15MM/year big fish FA that got away was on defense. Maybe our shiny new DC was the one really pulling the strings this offseason.

Bowles wasn’t good enough to be the HC, and I agree he didn’t hold enough players accountable. At the same time, that’s easy for a fan to say and hard for a coach to do when there’s no one else on the roster more worthy of being on the field (or worthy of being on the field at all). Convenient to say, “Well yes we’re losing even more games, or losing game by even greater margins, but at least he’s not letting these high priced players get away with their crap.” He’ll get fired all the same, if not sooner, as the GM will be able to point to him not even playing the good players he was provided. Again, it’s convenient for a fan to say how much tougher he’d be. Not all whiny would-be disciplinarians get results.

The players did more than just say they loved him as a person; they were over & over saying they were in the wrong positions, didn’t do what the plays dictated they do, and that they practiced the exact scenario during the week. That’s also on coaching, too, but if the starters are not following instructions and there’s no one else half decent behind them to put out there instead, there isn’t much more for him to do. The only other insinuation is this is and has been a 10-13 win roster all this time, yet they were only winning about 5 games due to the HC.

He’s not the HC anymore, but no one was bringing home championships - and probably not making the playoffs as a wildcard team - with 3 years of backup QBs plus 1 year of a rookie QB (on top of all the other FA and draft misfires all over the field). Be happy Bowles was let go, even if it was late. Also the recent GM move so soon after the owner actually started paying attention said plenty about just how bad he was. Better late than never with the GM as well, but around the league this is being heralded as a great hire. Be happy about that, too. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Ever since the punt in Denver, middle of the 4th, down by 2 scores...I have rooted against Bowles. That was the final straw for me. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

And nothing he does in Tampa is going to change that.  He is a bad head coach.  I wanted him gone.  You wanted him gone.  Well, he is gone.  And what he does in Tampa does not matter.  At least not to me. 

I will not take pleasure in him failling in Tampa and it will not bother me if he succeeds.  I don't hate the guy; I am just glad he is not our coach anymore.

Very well put. I would hope most feel that way.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Very well put. I would hope most feel that way.

I don't feel that way at all. He grinned his way through 4 years of being a moron, punting down 3 scores in the 2nd half, screw him, I hope he goes down in flames & gets sick on stolen crab legs from Winston.