Brandon Shell

Mose4

I was just curious what Jets fans thought of Brandon Shell. I'm a Colts fan but thought this was the best way to find out. I went to high school with Brandon and have tried to follow his career but probably not as close as some of you have. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s had some really solid moments and some “mehh” ones too. High points were limiting guys like Cam Wake and Khalil Mack from getting to the QB and he definitely has good strength and hand placement... but I think he’s been average for the majority of his starting time here because he’s been a bit too inconsistent in getting push on running plays.... I think we could stand to upgrade RT but Shell’s been decent enough to hold the fort down until then.

Well he is/was until next year. I wouldn't re-up him at the current FA inflation rates. Not when we can find a college LT with the size but maybe not the feet to play that position in the pros, without burning a high pick to find him. 

He was more a good pick for a 5th rounder more than a good pick outright. 

Also he's not very reliable health-wise for such a young guy. Jets fans overlook it because we've been eliminated by midseason every year since we drafted him. If we were a playoff team then his inconsistent play and late-season health issues would be more magnified. 

That said, he's still young and it's more than possible that he improves and shows he's worth more than a cheap rookie contract. As the weakest link on the line he'd be more than adequate, especially at his current/prior dollars. Based on the body of work through 2018 he's not worth extending IMO. 

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the feedback. He was amazing in HS and at USC so I’ve had high hopes for him. Becoming a starter so quickly after being a 5th round pick was impressive to me and I’ve never heard and complaints for the RT position which is usually pretty good for a lineman. Sucks he probably won’t be extended with y’all but sounds like he will probably land a starting gig somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Brandon Shell is good. He's not great. Not much push in the run game but solid in pass protection. He's a starter but he'll probably never be a true stud player, might have a long career tho. 

Good post. Same thing with Beachum. Can pass block. Not much help in the running game.

10 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Brandon Shell is good. He's not great. Not much push in the run game but solid in pass protection. He's a starter but he'll probably never be a true stud player, might have a long career tho. 

Good enough where you dont really worry about him too often, not good enough where you care and talk him up

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Mose4 said:

Thanks for the feedback. He was amazing in HS and at USC so I’ve had high hopes for him. Becoming a starter so quickly after being a 5th round pick was impressive to me and I’ve never heard and complaints for the RT position which is usually pretty good for a lineman. Sucks he probably won’t be extended with y’all but sounds like he will probably land a starting gig somewhere. 

I’m sure he was. Plenty of (if not most) NFL starters were “wow” players at lower levels. 

I didn’t say he wouldn’t be extended; just that my personal opinion is he’s not yet shown he’s worth extending at starter money for the Jets. Understand, he is the only offensive lineman on the team who isn’t playing under a free agent contract. That makes his value to the team higher (though he did reach incentives to bump his 4th year money from around the league-minimum salary up to $2MM).

If/when his rate jumps from $2MM to $6-10MM per, he’s less attractive and it’s harder to overlook his shortcomings. At a low salary the team has more give and take, in that the money they’re not paying him (at least in theory / on paper) can be used to shore up another position, or for more expensive OL depth behind him. That flexibility dries up when he’s making veteran FA money. 

Honestly I don’t know what they’re going to do with him. I expect it depends on how well he plays this year (duh), but they have 5 starting OL contracts expiring in 2019 and 2020. They can’t let them all go (well they can, but they won’t), and it’s a strain on other positions, and a competitive disadvantage relative to other teams, to have zero starters in this unit playing on cheaper rookie deals where they’re grossly outplaying what they’d have cost as UFAs. 

• Upvote 2