Thoughts On Darnold 2.0

Sam Darnold

Summer is coming, and while Jets fans surely have plenty of positive things to think about for the next few months, perhaps none can be considered more exciting than the prospect of the continued development of second-year starter Sam Darnold. In a rookie campaign which had ups-and-downs characteristic of most first-year signal-callers, the QB put together a string of games late in the schedule to give everyone a glimpse of not only why he was selected with the third pick overall in the 2018 NFL Draft but also should be the main reason Gang Green ends its playoff drought.

Heeding Pro Bowler Jamal Adams’s call for more “big-time players,” the front office has surrounded Darnold with arguably the most talent that the team has had in years. Roster upgrades and returning veterans include a collection of offensive weapons. The Jets put its cap space where its mouth is to get free agent Le’Veon Bell, who is expected to put up Le’Veon Bell-type numbers and give a jolt to both the running and passing games. Regarding the air attack, the hope is that Darnold will build on his deep-ball rapport with Robby Anderson, regain chemistry with a healthy Quincy Enunwa, and develop familiarity with new slot receiver Jamison Crowder.

Two potential X factors for Darnold are Chris Herndon and Ty Montgomery. Among all rookie tight ends last season, Herndon finished first in receptions, tied for first in touchdowns, and second in receiving yards. He was also sixth in the league in first-down percentage by tight ends receiving 50 or more targets and, like the Jets QB, will be looking to step up in his second year. While Montgomery, who was utilized as both a receiver and running back by the Green Bay Packers before a brief stint with the Baltimore Ravens last season, brings the kind of versatility that opens up options and can help a young quarterback.

Youth and talent are obviously on Darnold’s side. The California native, who left college after his red shirt sophomore season, was the youngest Week 1 starter since before 1970 and the youngest in the history of the NFL to record a passer rating of more than 115 on 30-plus attempts. He also holds Jets team records for a rookie QB, including highest single-season completion percentage (57.7) and highest rating with a minimum of seven appearances (77.7). There is no reason why the cool, calm, and collected 22-year old couldn’t make a beeline for the spot as the best quarterback in the AFC East this season. 

By all accounts, #14 has looked sharp in OTAs and minicamp and received high marks from his teammates and the media. Exhibiting the traits that you hope to see in your starter, the QB has even mentioned inviting some of the offensive players to get together for some extra work before the start of training camp. All indications point to Darnold making a big jump in his second season, the thought of which should keep fans feeling good all summer long.

The post Thoughts On Darnold 2.0 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
xRY9AhIzasE

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Not as catchy as "The Pig is Ripe", but you never know ...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I've given this much thought over the last 15 minutes.

Due to massive amounts of steroids and pilfered practice and game film used up in Inbred New England, "The Pig is Ripe" is I think played out and old, although I am surprised it didn't do the job it promised, but reality and history are what they are.

Motion to change "The Pig is Ripe" to "The Duck is fapping"...does it go to a Vote?  Yes? No?.....(Lifts glass)...."Here,Here"

Full disclosure, I actually used "The Pig is Ripe" the other day in a post, and sadly it just didn't have the same ring to it as in days gone by.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Due to massive amounts of steroids and pilfered practice and game film used up in Inbred New England, "The Pig is Ripe" is I think played out and old, although I am surprised it didn't do the job it promised, but reality and history are what they are.

Motion to change "The Pig is Ripe" to "The Duck is fapping"...does it go to a Vote?  Yes? No?.....(Lifts glass)...."Here,Here"

Full disclosure, I actually used "The Pig is Ripe" the other day in a post, and sadly it just didn't have the same ring to it as in days gone by.

I think this has got legs. TDs passes can be met with cries of "THE DUCK IS FAPPING!!!" in the game day thread.

Darnold is balling out ... "hey, is that duck fapping today or what?".

MAKE IT SO!!! ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

You know it’s going to happen with Le’veon Bell in the fold, the inevitable comparison of Sam to Big Ben.

Sams not as bull strong but coming out of USC comparisons were made of the two. 

Think about this kids demeanor, how lucky are we? The calm, cool, collected redhead displays that quiet confidence that teammates will love. His opening game on the road vs Detroit as the youngest QB to start since the 1970 merger! When his great career is over that interception on his 1st throw will be the start of his A FOOTBALL LIFE story. 

Let me add that our new uniforms are eye catching. NY Jets are back on the NFL stage for the foreseeable future. Can’t wait for that National game vs the Browns. That will be the WE’RE BACK game.

I think his ability to see what's unfolding in front of him, especially when the pocket is breaking down, then throwing an extremely accurate ball is what will make him a star.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

You know it’s going to happen with Le’veon Bell in the fold, the inevitable comparison of Sam to Big Ben.

Sams not as bull strong but coming out of USC comparisons were made of the two. 

Think about this kids demeanor, how lucky are we? The calm, cool, collected redhead displays that quiet confidence that teammates will love. His opening game on the road vs Detroit as the youngest QB to start since the 1970 merger! When his great career is over that interception on his 1st throw will be the start of his A FOOTBALL LIFE story. 

Let me add that our new uniforms are eye catching. NY Jets are back on the NFL stage for the foreseeable future. Can’t wait for that National game vs the Browns. That will be the WE’RE BACK game.

If 5 years from now there are valid comparisons to Big Ben, we will all be doing handstands in the parking lots before games.?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

ooooooh the swine is plump my good sir

here's my thought on darnold 2.0

he's 22 and still from southern california 

the last game of the season at Buffalo in January could be like -14 degrees 

not saying Darnold can't be amazing but the fact he's looking awesome in shorts against air in June isn't all that relevant to playoff football 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

He’s not Big Ben at all.  

Obviously not in personality, explain the differences in football style?

Both strong

Can move in the pocket (But Sam can run a lot better)

Very accurate

Can get the ball out from different awkward positions

Just now, bitonti said:

here's my thought on darnold 2.0

he's 22 and still from southern california 

the last game of the season at Buffalo in January could be like -14 degrees 

not saying Darnold can't be amazing but the fact he's looking awesome in shorts against air in June isn't all that relevant to playoff football 

It was pretty cold as in that 2nd game in Buffalo last year? 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It was pretty cold as in that 2nd game in Buffalo last year? 

the temp at game time was 30 degrees 10 mph winds

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/buffalo/KBUF/date/2018-12-9

yeah pretty cold

but in January will be worse  like 18 and 35 mph (!)

there might not be any passing at all in those conditions 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/buffalo/KBUF/date/2018-1-2

22 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Sam said after that Buffalo game that  learning to keep his hands warm in between passes, he was fine. 

he's learning that's my point 

not that he's soft 

just you haven't been in Buffalo in January until you've actually been there in January. 

also most rookies have a soph slump. It happens all the time. Everyone's expecting his progress to be to the moon, 2nd year QBs take a step back sometimes. 

Darnold 4.0 and above he will be balling out under all conditions hopefully

right now hes still 22 and learning how to be a complete human being 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's learning that's my point 

not that he's soft 

just you haven't been in Buffalo in January until you've actually been there in January. 

also most rookies have a soph slump. It happens all the time. Everyone's expecting his progress to be to the moon, 2nd year QBs take a step back sometimes. 

Darnold 4.0 and above he will be balling out under all conditions hopefully

right now hes still 22 and learning how to be a complete human being 

I agree with most everything here except that I don’t think Sam was good enough to really have a slump. What would a slump be <55% completion? Guys like Mahomes and Watson have slumps. If Darnold does worst than last year it will be an epic disaster.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I agree with most everything here except that I don’t think Sam was good enough to really have a slump. What would a slump be <55% completion? Guys like Mahomes and Watson have slumps. If Darnold does worst than last year it will be an epic disaster.

If he's a step back from December Sam, but plays like that for the full year, that would still be pretty strong.

If he's step back from Full Year Sam, that'll be much more of an issue.

26 minutes ago, jamesr said:

If he's a step back from December Sam, but plays like that for the full year, that would still be pretty strong.

If he's step back from Full Year Sam, that'll be much more of an issue.

From what I saw last season, Mahomes, Watson and just about every team the Jets played, had better coaching and surrounding cast.  Now there is more weapons, but the most important unit on the field is the big question mark. The Oline.  

I like your Sabo guy a lot (thanks Villain), he summarized the hiring of the new GM and the reason to be excited about the fact he was a former offensive lineman.  That gives me hope for the future going forward.  Sam is the main piece, but he can’t do it without the guys in the trenches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1