Some interesting comments from Kirwan /Carucci on Douglas hire

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Said that in today's NFL the model that works is to have a GM and HC that are really in lockstep and work as a team.

I never would have guessed that the HC and GM should be on the same page cooperating. Ice Cube is clearly stuck in a loop as well digesting this new concept of teamwork.

confused ice cube GIF

26 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I never would have guessed that the HC and GM should be on the same page cooperating. Ice Cube is clearly stuck in a loop as well digesting this new concept of teamwork.

confused ice cube GIF

That seems like an incredibly obvious statement but Kirwan actually addressed it and said its not that common, and despite him being a GM, said it rarely happens when the GM has all the control. Our Jets are a perfect example. He essentially said that they have been considered completely separate things, but that is not really the case going forward.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Warmbrother said:

Ive been a suffering fan for decades.... 

1998 was my only year old of true glee. After that, almost nothing but disappointment. 

Many times ive said "man this year is going to be different" 

BUT THIS YEAR ITS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT!  

Each year IS different: different levels of suck!!

I'm happy 'everyone' is happy with this choice. I was surprised by the firing--and saddened a little; I felt the Jets were inching along, getting better, personnel-wise--but I certainly can't defend Maccagnan's record: it was weak. So, if people are happy then we can pretend that we can be as good as we need to be to show significant improvement THIS SEASON.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Each year IS different: different levels of suck!!

I'm happy 'everyone' is happy with this choice. I was surprised by the firing--and saddened a little; I felt the Jets were inching along, getting better, personnel-wise--but I certainly can't defend Maccagnan's record: it was weak. So, if people are happy then we can pretend that we can be as good as we need to be to show significant improvement THIS SEASON.

I realize I am a Gotham Green colored glasses, dyed in the wool fan, but really with all the changes and 2nd year of SAM DARNOLD!! how can we not significantly improve?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Was listening to NFLN on Sirius yesterday and Kirwan and Curruci made some really interesting observations about the Douglas hire. They basically said:

1. The Jets are AHEAD of the curve in their coach and GM combo. Said that in today's NFL the model that works is to have a GM and HC that are really in lockstep and work as a team. Carucci spent a lot of time comparing the situation to Levy/Polian in Buffalo and said that the Jets are potentially duplicating that type of situation

2. Kirwan, said, which shocked me, that the organizational structure of GM having all the power and the Head Coach reporting to him is not effective in the modern NFL. He thinks the Head Coach is more important than the GM and that they should be equals, both reporting to the President, with the Head Coach actually having more influence than the GM. Jets get roasted routinely for this structure but both guys think it is actually the right structure

3. Both think Douglas will be an awesome GM, and even more so because he is aligned with Gase.

Well, that's good to hear, not that it makes a damn bit of difference? It only matters if RESULTS follow. I just think they really needed to fire Mac. He was garbage. I also think hiring Joe Douglas put the Jets on the right track again. Now, we must see results to decide if the team is still F*cked up.

Was listening to NFLN on Sirius yesterday and Kirwan and Curruci made some really interesting observations about the Douglas hire. They basically said:
1. The Jets are AHEAD of the curve in their coach and GM combo. Said that in today's NFL the model that works is to have a GM and HC that are really in lockstep and work as a team. Carucci spent a lot of time comparing the situation to Levy/Polian in Buffalo and said that the Jets are potentially duplicating that type of situation
2. Kirwan, said, which shocked me, that the organizational structure of GM having all the power and the Head Coach reporting to him is not effective in the modern NFL. He thinks the Head Coach is more important than the GM and that they should be equals, both reporting to the President, with the Head Coach actually having more influence than the GM. Jets get roasted routinely for this structure but both guys think it is actually the right structure
3. Both think Douglas will be an awesome GM, and even more so because he is aligned with Gase.
For number 2. It makes a lot of sense to not have the HC report to GM. Jets aren't the only team to setup structure the way we have it. Only JN and some bad media writers use that as a critisim.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The idea that the GM and the HC should "be on the same page" is not some "modern day NFL revelation".  In fact, it was the main complaint we all had about having the Johnson Bros hire these positions individually.  Was Macc on the same page as Bowles and vice versa?  Obviously not!  

It is INHERENT in the "old school" way of thinking that the GM and HC will be on the same page because the GM hires the HC, for crying out loud!

If their point is that, nowadays, the HC is more important than the GM, then let the HC hire the GM.  That actually did happen in this case.  However, the whole "and they should each report to the President" thing feels hollow because they're reporting to CJ instead of a real football guy (e.g. Mike Shanahan or someone like that).

Douglas was on with Kirwan and Miller today. Mostly same answers as yesyerday but couple interesting things:

1. He hinted that the current Jets evaluation system and ratings for players on the roster are different  than ratings for college players. But under Ozzie they are the same so you can instantly identify player upgrades

2. He us super high on Darnold, said something like night and day improvement from fame one to last 4 but not in this words, more GM soeak

3. Impressed that practice energy in last week of OTAs is do high after the mandatory mini camp. Sounds like that is part of Gases purpose in doing it this way

4. Couldn't remember 33s last name. Seriously.

Overall he instills confidence and us not evasive or vague in answers though prone to catch phrases.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

By the way.....every time someone whines and complains about Woody and/or Chris....just remember.

Charles Dolan was the other bidder for the Jets in 1999.  In fact, I think he was the high bidder and favorite to get the team before Woody showed up.

If Charles Dolan had upped his bid, it's almost certain that James Dolan would be running this team now.

James ******* Dolan....just imagine how bad it would be under that imbecile.

We should all kiss the feet of WJ for saving us from that disaster.

We'd have a Jets-only stadium and it couldn't get any uglier than the one they're presently sharing.

We've won nothing in the past 20 years to compare so favorably to anyone. They've still won nothing and all we've got so far is the appearance of hope after falling into it by accident.

Dolan is an idiot, no doubt, but so are both Johnson brothers. All of them are egomaniacs who insist on being key parts of the process, which more often than not leads to being key parts of the failure. 

Drinking a glass of throw-up is better than a glass of diarrhea. Both are horrible, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Please do tell...love to hear about this make believe land you live in. 

Instead of the goofy comeback, tell me how he has failed miserably in his 2 seasons.  

Was it firing Bowles?

Hiring the guy he wanted, whether you wanted him or not.

That he saw a problem with Macc and fired him?

Or that he hired the top candidate to fill the GM spot.

His players love him, the press likes him, he doesnt meddle, the team is looking up and you want to play the "Our owner sucks" nonsense until the very end.

As I said, give us the examples of his failing.  As bad as you say it is, should be easy

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Dolan is an idiot, no doubt, but so are both Johnson brothers. All of them are egomaniacs who insist on being key parts of the process, which more often than not leads to being key parts of the failure. 

What has Chris Johnson done that tells you hes an egomaniac?
How does Chris or even Woody act thats any different from any other NFL owner? NBA owner? MLB owner? I love the idea that you can drop almost a billion dollars and then should disappear from the planet.

Its almost as ridiculous as whining about the look of the stadium.  Which of course is as ridiculous as the constant whining by Jets fans and thats Jets fans only that we share a stadium with the Giants.  Never, ever hear a Giant fan cry and moan like this fanbase over a stadium that is used 10 times a year.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Instead of the goofy comeback, tell me how he has failed miserably in his 2 seasons.  

Was it firing Bowles?

Hiring the guy he wanted, whether you wanted him or not.

That he saw a problem with Macc and fired him?

Or that he hired the top candidate to fill the GM spot.

His players love him, the press likes him, he doesnt meddle, the team is looking up and you want to play the "Our owner sucks" nonsense until the very end.

As I said, give us the examples of his failing.  As bad as you say it is, should be easy

Are you serious? You mean like 4 and 12 or 5 and 11. Period. End point.

How bout letting our coaches and gm get Sam injured his rookie year because they I guess just didn't like him that day. 

Or more like the signing guys like crowder that sh*t on cops and the flag. Or do you mean more stuff like hiring incompetent coaching staff or not addressing obvious sh*tty scouts.

Oh one of my favs is the highschool level media comms guys. God the presser for our new GM did you see that, it was like they were filming in a dark closet.

Anyway I like how you are so convinced of your fantasy world, you thought you were somehow putting me on the spot. Bro you made the claim and I pointed out how ridiculous it was. It's wasn't a goofy comeback it was just obvious.

Dude I'm not a ownership hater, but you act like c Johnson is sort of great owner then when I call bs you ask me to convince you??!!?

Have you not watched us for the last two seasons? Im looking forward to this season. But I miss Woody.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How does Chris or even Woody act thats any different from any other NFL owner? NBA owner? MLB owner? I love the idea that you can drop almost a billion dollars and then should disappear from the planet.

Its almost as ridiculous as whining about the look of the stadium.  Which of course is as ridiculous as the constant whining by Jets fans and thats Jets fans only that we share a stadium with the Giants.  Never, ever hear a Giant fan cry and moan like this fanbase over a stadium that is used 10 times a year.  

Well Woody at least fired guys after they failed and it was obvious they were done. Maybe not the quickest but he took shots and moved on. Chris just was like well...how about let's waste a few more years lol.

17 hours ago, KRL said:

The reporting structure thing was way overblown.  People need to realize football owners are taking the organizational
structures they use in their other businesses and bringing them into the league

When you're talking about Woody and Chris Johnson, what other businesses are you referring to, exactly?

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The formula for success is a QB + Defense.  We're finally close to having both.

What I’ve noticed is most of the best teams are really well balanced. Colts, Saints, Chargers, Chiefs(Their D was questionable), Rams, Texans. 

They all have this balance to them. Offense can score and Defense can make plays. I know this is really just common sense but it’s the truth as well — gotta have balance. The Jets are close to that.

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Well Woody at least fired guys after they failed and it was obvious they were done. Maybe not the quickest but he took shots and moved on. Chris just was like well...how about let's waste a few more years lol.

Well Chris has been running the team 2 years.

He just fired Bowles and Macc.

Both worked under Woody a lot longer than under Chris.

Trying to figure out firing your HC & GM after two seasons isnt firing guys after they failed and "...how about let's waste a few more years lol."

I like the direction the team is moving towards.  I like the players in charge today more than before.  The team is now, admittedly after being trashed being lauded for hiring JD, I wanted Gase the minute he was fired in Miami, I like how he connects with players and others like Douglas who mentioned it at his presser.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Douglas was on with Kirwan and Miller today. Mostly same answers as yesyerday but couple interesting things:

1. He hinted that the current Jets evaluation system and ratings for players on the roster are different  than ratings for college players. But under Ozzie they are the same so you can instantly identify player upgrades

2. He us super high on Darnold, said something like night and day improvement from fame one to last 4 but not in this words, more GM soeak

3. Impressed that practice energy in last week of OTAs is do high after the mandatory mini camp. Sounds like that is part of Gases purpose in doing it this way

4. Couldn't remember 33s last name. Seriously.

Overall he instills confidence and us not evasive or vague in answers though prone to catch phrases.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Leaving himself and his equally unqualified brother in charge through all the fails - including the latter’s admission he was unqualified on his own for 2 seasons without hiring someone qualified instead - makes him an egomaniac. 

Also since when are Cro-Magnon Giants fans the measuring stick of anything positive? The stadium is ugly inside and out among those built in the last 20 or so years. Not my biggest gripe by any stretch, but it's true.

I'm optimistic with the recent results, but it's too convenient to whitewash a couple decades' investments (including one winning season in the last eight) as some worthwhile means to an end. Also it's only a worthwhile end at the point the Jets win a championship, not merely today's point where they finally hired a GM who's well thought of by more than 5 people in NFL circles.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Leaving himself and his equally unqualified brother in charge through all the fails - including the latter’s admission he was unqualified on his own for 2 seasons without hiring someone qualified instead - makes him an egomaniac. 

Also since when are Cro-Magnon Giants fans the measuring stick of anything positive? The stadium is ugly inside and out among those built in the last 20 or so years. Not my biggest gripe by any stretch, but it's true.

I'm optimistic with the recent results, but it's too convenient to whitewash a couple decades' investments (including one winning season in the last eight) as some worthwhile means to an end. Also it's only a worthwhile end at the point the Jets win a championship, not merely today's point where they finally hired a GM who's well thought of by more than 5 people in NFL circles.

Who are these mythically qualified owners we've missed on having?  Who comes into the league, drop the money it takes and are qualified?  This is the most overstated idea.  JJones played college football and is a boob when it comes to running a team on his own.  Thats after winning SBs with JJohnson and Switzer.  Went almost 20 years without a playoff win.  Who cares, no one is qualified.  I keep asking, what owner did what exactly to win games and how?  Other than winning the crap shoot of hiring the right GM or HC or luch out because they were in a position to get the right QB.  CJ has been fine.  If these two work out hes done a great job. 

The stadium isnt ugly inside.  Nothing about it is, unless you dont like grey.  Big friggen deal, they went with a neutral color since there are two teams.  I know, hard to believe, I go to my seats and actually dont get pissed or feel bad at the color choices.  Jets fans are like gay designers, critiquing color palettes.  I sit in the seat, I have more room that any other seat I've sat in for football, anywhere and my sight lines are perfect.  Not good enough.  Why, because the Giants and their fans are there when were not.  Oh, the Giants fans are the measuuring stick when its our fan base that constantly cry and moan about the way theyre talked about, the way the press treats them better, the was we're second class, somehow, in a stadium we jointly own, explain that one, and that only our inferiority complex cry baby fanbase bitches and moans about.  I'll bet the Charger fans dont cry over their stadium, the Rams also, both will act like the Giant fans, none will sob away like some Jets fans.  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What I’ve noticed is most of the best teams are really well balanced. Colts, Saints, Chargers, Chiefs(Their D was questionable), Rams, Texans. 

They all have this balance to them. Offense can score and Defense can make plays. I know this is really just common sense but it’s the truth as well — gotta have balance. The Jets are close to that.

Right, but you can't have All Pros everywhere and if you do (the Rams were getting close last year) then it doesn't last long because of the Cap.  Think Jets in 2010 and how quickly that window closed.

If given a choice I'd try to sustain what the Patriots have done.....high-end QB who you hope can elevate average players around him (that means spending LESS on skill positions.  I know...I know!) and spending on Defense.  A team inevitably has to have a couple position groups that are barely average if you're going to be strong in other key areas.  Picking those spots is both the art and science of team building and longterm sustainability.  I'm glad we have Joe Douglas.