Jets claim CB Meander from Oakland

Montrel Meander really lit it up today.   The safety, who measures about 6-feet-2-inches and 208 pounds, timed 4.42s in the forty, touched 37.5 inches in the vertical jump and reached 10-feet-4-inches in the broad jump.  Meander is being compared to former Hurricane Adrian Colbert, the seventh round pick of the San Francisco 49ers who turned out to be a steal for the franchise.

Meander will be making an official thirty visit to see the Indianapolis Colts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, static14 said:

Montel Meander signed after being waived by The Raiders. Don’t know anything about him but I hope his name isn’t indicative of his coverage ability. 

This prediction didn't take long to come true...

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Now when the Raiders cut someone , the Jets can sign him to their 53 man roster. So not only can you get great story lines, but might be able to upgrade your talent level in the process.

Texas transfer Meander hungry for second chance at Grambling

Sean Isabella, sisabella@thenewsstar.comPublished 3:35 p.m. CT Jan. 12, 2016 | Updated 3:41 p.m. CT Jan. 12, 2016

Former Texas wide receiver Montrel Meander is looking

Former Texas wide receiver Montrel Meander is looking for a second chance at Grambling. (Photo: Courtesy University of Texas)

For almost two years, Montrel Meander's life, let alone his football career, was in limbo.

Thanks to a mutual interest with Grambling, he'll get a chance to resurrect his playing career for what he and the Tigers hope is for the next several years.

In actuality, Meander, a former 6-foot-3 Texas wide receiver, will have an opportunity to start his career since he's never played a down of football at the collegiate level.

After sitting out the 2013 season with a redshirt year, Meander was involved in an incident in June 2014 that later led to a sexual assault charge and his dismissal from the football team.

Court proceedings followed and were pushed back, as is commonplace with the legal system, before the charges were dismissed this past October.

"Because I've been out for so many years I'm just hungry for this second chance and I'm more humble and focused," Meander said. "I have a stronger mindset now. I can only express my anger on the football field and not get in trouble for it."

Meander said he had suitors after he was cleared — some who reached out to him, like Grambling, and some he reached out to. Naturally, the one's who reached out to him were ready to move past the story hanging over his head from Texas. Some additional schools — small Division I programs and a team from the Pac 12 who he didn't disclose, were hesitant.

"The coaches were sincere with me. They showed appreciation about me coming and being here," Meander said of Grambling. "The few players I did meet, I enjoyed their company also. Just the school, it's spirited. There's a lot of people that enjoy Grambling State University."

Since Meander had plenty of time on his hands to digest things, he said he discovered one main takeaway.

"I learned just to always listen to yourself and listen to no one else," he said.

Whether he needs it or not, Meander will have a solid support system and foundation at Grambling. Tigers coach Broderick Fobbs serves as a father figure to his players and wants to see them excel in life and not just on the football field.

Meander should be able to do both despite being unproven at this level.

Playing time is always hard to come by at receiver since the Tigers have seemingly endless weapons at the position on an annual basis.

But GSU's offense likes to spread the ball around, and someone needs to take the production left by Chester Rogers (46 catches, 707 yards and 6 touchdowns) and Ka'Jandre Domino (31 catches, 333 yards and 3 touchdowns).

Just now, GreenFish said:

******* Joe Douglas with the random waiver pick up. Watch this guy become an all pro. We’re the new Pats. Every time we pick up some random guy, fans of other teams are going to be like, watch him become an all pro.

I hope so because MM did the same thing and none amounted to anything. 

Article from Oct 2015:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/sexual-assault-case-against-montel-meander-dismissed/1049515467

Sexual assault case against Montrel Meander dismissed

AUSTIN (KXAN) -- The sexual assault case accusing a former UT football player of assaulting a girl on campus has been dismissed. The decision to dismiss the case against Montrel Meander came after the jury acquitted Kendall Sanders last week of the same charges.

The victim, referred to as Jane Doe, in the assault case testified against Sanders earlier this month. The anonymous victim claimed she went back to Montrel's San Jacinto dorm room after drinking on 6th Street. She said she initially consented to sexual intercourse with Meander.

Doe then states Kendall Sanders showed up at the dorm room and the two former football players assaulted her despite her pleas for them to stop. The 5'5' woman said her attempts to fight off the men was impossible. Doe told the jury while she begged them to stop Sanders said "You are going to like it," and "You can leave when I am finished."

In their opening statements the defense said they intended to show Jane Doe did give consent to both men, but reported it as sexual assault for fear of embarrassment after Sanders took a picture of her during sex.

In her testimony she said if she could relive that night she wouldn't have gotten drunk, and wouldn't have gone home with Montrel.

5 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Montrel Meander really lit it up today.   The safety, who measures about 6-feet-2-inches and 208 pounds, timed 4.42s in the forty, touched 37.5 inches in the vertical jump and reached 10-feet-4-inches in the broad jump.  Meander is being compared to former Hurricane Adrian Colbert, the seventh round pick of the San Francisco 49ers who turned out to be a steal for the franchise.

Meander will be making an official thirty visit to see the Indianapolis Colts.

Safety? Is this kid a safety or a CB? Not like we couldn’t use 3 new cb and 3 new safeties anyway.