All The Newspaper Weasels Who Unfairly Crucified Christopher Johnson Are Walking Back Their Positions - Let’s Not Let Them Get Away With It

SAR I

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So you actually think that when the biggest team decision in the last decade was made our CEO was on a pool float in the Caribbean while Mike Maccagnan was working autonomously with the Indianapolis Colts to move up to #3 in the entire draft?

And furthermore, you actually think that when the Jets were on the clock and Sam Darnold was sitting there that it wasn't Christopher Johnson's decision to take him? 

Do you own your own business?  Or do you report to someone that ultimately reports into a CEO?  I ask because it doesn't appear that you know what CEO's actually do.  CEO's set the strategy, CEO's make the big decisions, CEO's know everything because they are running everything.

SAR I

So basically you're saying that you think CJ is the NYJ's version of Jerry Jones.  I guess that means you still think CJ is our GM, regardless of what moves Joe Douglas makes.

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

How about we let people EARN respect? CJ hasn’t proven much yet at all. He’s on an upward trend but still has a long ways to go and to prove that he isn’t indecisive or that he can make sounds decisions on his own.

I’ll completely give him credit if he can’t make good decisions, realizes that and then leans on the right people. That’s fine too. Just give things a chance and stop jumping to conclusions prematurely. 

Premature is never a good thing.....

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Smart football people?  What smart football people?  The last smart football people we trusted led us to John Idzik, Todd Bowles, and Mike Maccagnan.

How about CJ was born into money but turns out is a smart businessman who knows how to be a CEO and what decisions to make as the leader of an NFL team?  Were these decisions bad?  Was trading up to #3 bad?  Was firing Bowles bad?  Was firing Maccagnan bad?  Was hiring Gase and Williams and Douglas bad?

Someone executed all of this in the past 14 months.  What, you think it was smart football people like Charley Casserly?  How about the answer is very obvious.  How about it was Christopher Johnson.  Not sure why that's so controversial.  He's done a great job.  Let go of your hate and give the man a pat on the back.

SAR I

So you're saying WJ is the cause of all our troubles then? (because he was the primary owner when we hired Casserly to recommend a GM and HC)

I don't think it was pretty leaving it when he did but CJ made a bold move to cut bait when he did and stuck with it. Got rewarded for it.

If he fired Mac in December and didn't have a HC named Gase, I don't know if Joe comes to NYJ. Funny how life works out, leaving Mac in too long enabled Joe Douglas to be landed.

Could have pussied out and waited until end of this year then played the GM shuffle with everyone else. 

Not saying he deserves a design award for how it all came together and played out, just saying life presents the unknown sometimes.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Or CJ made the shortlist of HC candidates and asked Maccagnan to participate in the interview process.  When it was complete, CJ decided that Gase was his man and made sure Maccagnan knew it and would publicly buy into it.

Once Gase was aboard it was time to covertly make a shortlist of GM candidates and Douglas was on the list from both Johnson's and Gase's standpoint.  All that was needed was to get Maccagnan out of the building, start the Rooney process, and get Douglas's contract signed.

SAR I

Do you really believe that CJ was the one who assembled the short list of HC candidates? 

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Smart football people?  What smart football people?  The last smart football people we trusted led us to John Idzik, Todd Bowles, and Mike Maccagnan.

How about CJ was born into money but turns out is a smart businessman who knows how to be a CEO and what decisions to make as the leader of an NFL team?  Were these decisions bad?  Was trading up to #3 bad?  Was firing Bowles bad?  Was firing Maccagnan bad?  Was hiring Gase and Williams and Douglas bad?

Someone executed all of this in the past 14 months.  What, you think it was smart football people like Charley Casserly?  How about the answer is very obvious.  How about it was Christopher Johnson.  Not sure why that's so controversial.  He's done a great job.  Let go of your hate and give the man a pat on the back.

SAR I

Geezus you're dumb.

Stepping aside and letting the smart people run things refers to Douglas and Gase - who you have just been arguing are the result of genius CJ being a great CEO.

I dont have a problem with CJ - hes infinitely better then Woody, but stop acting like he is some genius or that he orchestrated us getting Sam.  He should now step aside, and let the football people (since you can't read I mean Adam Gase and Joe Douglas) run things.

You're so hell bent on defending your troll post, you dont even read what people say.

PSL GOLD

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes.... but when they did it, most were calling it bad timing.  NOT ME. 

I think almost everyone wanted Macc fired but they wanted it done to start the offseason (which would've given the replacement GM the opportunity to run the draft and spend $100M in free agency).

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So basically you're saying that you think CJ is the NYJ's version of Jerry Jones.  I guess that means you still think CJ is our GM, regardless of what moves Joe Douglas makes.

Why is it so hard to believe that you have a smart owner?  Isn't that what you always wanted? 

Being so filled with hate and negativity, would you even know it if it actually happened?  As a charter member of the He-Man Jets Victims Club, could anyone trust your judgement on the matter?

Someone made some tremendous moves in the last 3 years to get us out of a rebuild and onto the road to the playoffs.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

No, to summarize:

Christopher Johnson is a shrewd CEO who knows a thing or two about business and just got the best HC candidate and best GM candidate in the NFL to join a 4-12 also-ran.  And his ingrate fans should flog themselves for believing the BS from the print media who time and time again treat them like the pathetic victims they are.

SAR I

If Christopher Johnson is such a shrewd CEO how come he didn't fire both Bowles and Maccagnan after the '17 season?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

CJ just made the 5 most important decisions in his career and for the next 2-3 years he can fade in the background and just open the wallet when asked:

1.  Ordered the trade-up in the 2018 draft.
2.  Picked Sam Darnold.
3.  Fired Todd Bowles & Mike Maccagnan.
4.  Hired the best HC candidate in the NFL.
5.  Hired the best GM candidate in the NFL.

Thank you Christopher Johnson.  Great job.  It's the Joe and Adam show now.  We're in good hands.

SAR I

I'm not sure I'd give him credit for numbers 1 and 2 but right now that doesn't matter. In the end everything that happens under his watch will be attributed to his decisions.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you really believe that CJ was the one who assembled the short list of HC candidates? 

100%.  Why, Maccagnan is qualified?  Somehow he's plugged in to the NFL fraternity of insiders that generates the hot names and not one of 32 owners and their expansive inner circle?

Are you pissed that Maccangan is gone or something?  Not sure why you're giving him so much credit.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not Superman, just a little smart, just a guy who learned from the past and didn't want to repeat it:

The Jets always win meaningless games and screw themselves in the draft the following year.  So he corrected that by aggressively trading up in a QB-rich draft.  Not Superman.  Just smart.

The Jets always get the worst GM candidate available because the incumbent HC is a lame duck rookie.  So he corrected that by going out and hiring the best HC available and one that was an experienced HC who cut his teeth elsewhere.  Not Superman.  Just smart.

The Jets always get the worst HC candidate available because the Jets lose and have no quarterback and thus no hope.  So he corrected that by going out and trading up to get a bonafide franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold to attract coaching talent.  Not Superman.  Just smart.

McCown, Bowles, and Maccagnan were JAG pieces for a rebuild.  Quiet types, won't ruffle feathers, doing an average job while we patiently add some roster pieces.

Darnold, Gase, and Douglas are elite NFL talent, big cogs in a wheel that can lead to a Championship. 

Christopher Johnson executed his strategy perfectly.  If some Jets fans want to play the victim and believe the victim media, have at it, I can't stop you.  But I know what went down and I'm extremely proud of our CEO and how he quickly wrapped up the rebuild and jump-started the ascension to consistent winning.

SAR I

All reports point to Macc and Chris wanting another head coach, and they botched it.

Adam Gase fell into their laps and Adam Gase is the reason all of this happened.

Christopher Johnson, did not fire Macc until Adam Gase woke his ass up.

Joe Douglass was hired because of Adam Gase.

Macc pulled off the trade that got us Darnold, but that's it.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Why is it so hard to believe that you have a smart owner?  Isn't that what you always wanted? 

Being so filled with hate and negativity, would you even know it if it actually happened?  As a charter member of the He-Man Jets Victims Club, could anyone trust your judgement on the matter?

SAR I

Just more complete nonsense from you.  We've been over this before.  Go look at my post history (a few examples below).  Since the day we got Sam Darnold I've said multiple times that I've never been more optimistic about this franchise.  

As for our owner, yes I want him to be smart.  I'm just not willing to twist everything that happens into "CJ is the equivalent of a brilliant chess player but for a football owner".  Meanwhile, you've convinced yourself that CJ traded up for #3 overall, drafted Sam Darnold, came up with a short list of HC candidates, etc. 

1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

But...that’s...it?

That’s the equivalent of “So Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the rest of the play?”

Sam Darnold IS the franchise and why we have Gase and Douglas and finally optimism for the future of this franchise. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

But...that’s...it?

That’s the equivalent of “So Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the rest of the play?”

Sam Darnold IS the franchise and why we have Gase and Douglas and finally optimism for the future of this franchise. 

Macc didn't make it through the overture.

8 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If Christopher Johnson is such a shrewd CEO how come he didn't fire both Bowles and Maccagnan after the '17 season?

They were our hand-picked rebuilding HC and rebuilding GM and the rebuild wasn’t over then. 

Once we turned the corner from rebuild to ready-to-win we were able to attract superior talent at both positions.  

SAR I

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

What other decisions do you think he has to make in the near future? He could go on a two year vacation and he's already done more than his brother in 15 years. It's not like he is going to dictate who Douglas signs for his scouting staff.

He has to decide whether he’ll sit back and let the professionals run the team, or mettle. That’s really the only “decision” in the near future but it’s important. I agree the hard stuff is out of the way but just because changes were made, does not equal success or make him a good owner. Especially after his really rough start. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

100%.  Why, Maccagnan is qualified?  Somehow he's plugged in to the NFL fraternity of insiders that generates the hot names and not one of 32 owners and their expansive inner circle?

Are you pissed that Maccangan is gone or something?  Not sure why you're giving him so much credit.

SAR I

You think CJ has enough confidence in his own football acumen that he would even trust himself to come up with a short list of HC candidates?!  Didn't he say something about how he was still learning the ropes when he fired Macc?

Macc is an actual football guy (albeit a fairly sh-tty GM).  That's why I would think he would make more sense as the guy who chose the short list of HC candidates.

As for you trying to push the "are you pissed that Macc is gone or something" angle, you know perfectly well that I wanted him fired.  It's just that I wanted him fired going into this offseason, as opposed to after allowing him to spend $100M and run the draft.  That said, I do credit Macc for trading up to #3 and for drafting Sam (though drafting Sam was a no-brainer).  Obviously CJ signed off on the moves but they were still Macc's moves.  If CJ were so confident of himself as a GM (which we all know he's not) then he wouldn't have hired JD.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

This is about the media not about the coaches and owner... Don't detail the thread

I think you meant “derail” and every thread deviates from the original topic at least a little bit. Especially when it’s actuslly related. Don’t tell me how to post. Just agree or disagree. Thank you. 

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

All reports point to Macc and Chris wanting another head coach, and they botched it.

Adam Gase fell into their laps and Adam Gase is the reason all of this happened.

Christopher Johnson, did not fire Macc until Adam Gase woke his ass up.

Joe Douglass was hired because of Adam Gase.

We still don't even know if Adam Gase is any good btw.

8 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Irsay:  Hey Chris, what’s up?

CJ:  I’m looking to trade up. 

Irsay:  I’m looking to trade down.

CJ:  Have your guy call my guy and let’s make it happen. 

Irsay:  Yeah, they’ll look at the chart, it’s pretty straightforward. 

CJ:  St. Elmo’s at the combine?

Irsay:  Have your gal call my gal and let’s make it happen.  Some golf maybe too.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Irsay:  Hey Chris, what’s up?

CJ:  I’m looking to trade up. 

Irsay:  I’m looking to trade down.

CJ:  Have your guy call my guy and let’s make it happen. 

Irsay:  Yeah, they’ll look at the chart, it’s pretty straightforward. 

CJ:  St. Elmo’s at the combine?

Irsay:  Have your gal call my gal and let’s make it happen.  Some golf maybe too.

SAR I

Link?

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He has to decide whether he’ll sit back and let the professionals run the team, or mettle. That’s really the only “decision” in the near future but it’s important. I agree the hard stuff is out of the way but just because changes were made, does not equal success or make him a good owner. Especially after his really rough start. 

He doesn't seem like the type of owner that is going to be banging the table on draft day for a certain player. He hired Douglas to a lucrative contract to be the decision maker when it comes to personnel moves.

I think he realizes his limitations when it comes to building a team and he's been forthcoming about how some of it was overwhelming. He's the anti Woody and we should all be happy for that......e.g. he's not forcing his GM to trade for a Tebow just for the limelight. I genuinely think all he cares about is winning and he's going to step aside and let JD make those decisions.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

He doesn't seem like the type of owner that is going to be banging the table on draft day for a certain player. He hired Douglas to a lucrative contract to be the decision maker when it comes to personnel moves.

I think he realizes his limitations when it comes to building a team and he's been forthcoming about how some of it was overwhelming. He's the anti Woody and we should all be happy for that......e.g. he's not forcing his GM to trade for a Tebow just for the limelight. I genuinely think all he cares about is winning and he's going to step aside and let JD make those decisions.

I hope you are right and giving in to the longer term/higher salary contract for the GM is a great sign that he may “get it” and get out of his own way which many owners fail to do. Time will tell.

I refuse to give praise anymore until it’s earned and works. Who knows if he will mettle or not. He’s had some very odd moments as owner so far and made some bad decisions is all that I’m saying. The jury is still out. I think we are definitely moving in the right direction and I’m very excited for this regime. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

And so it begins. 

So last month CJ was a dysfunctional fool and now he’s a genius.  Nice try you sycophants.  We won’t forget what you put Coach Gase (backstabber!) and Mr. Johnson (absentee owner!) and the entire organization through (dysfunctional!).

First up on the hypocrites list, Brian Costello:

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/joe-douglas-was-worth-the-drubbing-christopher-johnson-took/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Not happening.  Apologize.

SAR I

The bastages.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I realize he’s been controversial in the past at other, lesser websites, but SAR is a true artist and master of the form.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Na mate, far too obvious to anyone with half a brain and an attention span longer than that of a gnat.

Truth,  brother War. Tired schtick is tired. A true artist creates outside the confines of predictability, all the while facing his critics with a strong jaw and wherewithal. Here? Safety abounds, and critiques are nuanced so as to not annoy the already overburdened mods. 

And Brian Costello is the second best Jets beat writer out there. Change my mind. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hope you are right and giving in to the longer term/higher salary contract for the GM is a great sign that he may “get it” and get out of his own way which many owners fail to do. Time will tell.

I refuse to give praise anymore until it’s earned and works. Who knows if he will mettle or not. He’s had some very odd moments as owner so far and made some bad decisions is all that I’m saying. The jury is still out. I think we are definitely moving in the right direction and I’m very excited for this regime. 

You're right.....time will tell. I've been a Jets fan for a long time so I know how these things can go and normally expect them to go.

Even if these moves backfire and don't work out I'll still give him credit because I liked the moves he made. That doesn't happen very often with this franchise. My biggest hope is Woody never steps foot within an ocean of this team again and if CJ's ways start working that should seal it. Woody is an awful owner when given control of the team. CJ has been pretty damn good considering he had zero experience a couple of years ago.