The offseason’s most underrated move is...

If I thought we were in contention for a Superbowl this year, then yes, having a solid back up QB who could come in for a three game stretch and keep us winning, would also be my choice.

But having a true slot receiver in Crowder, allowing Robby and Quincy to work the edges, while Herndon and Crowder also work the middle, is going to be a huge for Darnold's development.

Because that is what this year is ultimately about more than anything else....Darnold's development.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, IndianaJet said:

If I thought we were in contention for a Superbowl this year, then yes, having a solid back up QB who could come in for a three game stretch and keep us winning, would also be my choice.

But having a true slot receiver in Crowder, allowing Robby and Quincy to work the edges, while Herndon and Crowder also work the middle, is going to be a huge for Darnold's development.

Because that is what this year is ultimately about more than anything else....Darnold's development.

Still need wr depth.  Q is an egg 

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/06/10-thoughts-as-jets-finish-spring-practices-how-is-sam-darnold-handling-adam-gases-playbook-what-did-quinnen-williams-reveal.html

2. Pray for Darnold’s health

Maybe that’s overstating it a bit, but the Jets’ backup quarterbacks did not look great this spring. They all had some flashes, but they were fairly brief. For the most part, there was a clear drop off once Darnold left the field and the likes of Trevor Siemian, Luke Falk or Davis Webb took command. Perhaps some of that had to do with the fact that they were working with lesser talent, too. But there is little doubt that Darnold is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the quarterbacks on this team. His health will be vitally important this season. It’s an open question if the Jets would be able to win if Siemian or one of the others was forced into action. These guys aren’t Nick Foles.

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, IndianaJet said:

not to mention a pass catching te.  it looks like they may have more than 1.

Most under rated move the Jets made was signing Rb Ty Montgomery . Gives the Jets another Rb with receiving skills.   Gives the Jets more options on offense, as they might elect to put both L Bell , and Ty Montgomery in the backfield together.  Can empty the backfield and a lb or safety would have to cover them.( clear mismatch).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets might not have the biggest names, or that iconic tall WR/end zone guy, but the WR corps, combined with Bells receiving ability and at least two TE's on the team that are legit offensive threats (assuming the kid drafted is legit) combined with any head coach not named Bowles and any offensive coordinator he hired, has me thinking the Jets offense will be pretty good. 

Bell

Anderson

Powell

Enunwa

Herndon

Wesco

Montgomery

Powell?

Not bad

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to "Actually" this thread, but I'm still amazed at how quickly and aggressively Gase has seized power here. The dude was a failed and damaged coach five months ago who was going to have to beg for an OC job somewhere and now he's one of the most empowered coaches in the league: fires the GM he doesn't like, brings his buddy in, gets the owner to pay his buddy $3.3m per for six, has effectively cowed the NY media, silenced Manish, impressed Francesa, and is keenly aware that his ticket to success is through Sam Darnold. It really has been an impressive stretch for Gase. If he starts making playoff appearances, he's going to be the biggest coaching story in New York since Pat Riley.  

It is one of the most interesting storylines in the past few years in the NFL in my opinion.  He goes from one of the hottest HC candidates of the last 5-10 years, playoffs in year one, to the stuff you mention.  Really quite interesting.  Gonna be fun to watch it unfold, one way or another.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

The Jets might not have the biggest names, or that iconic tall WR/end zone guy, but the WR corps, combined with Bells receiving ability and at least two TE's on the team that are legit offensive threats (assuming the kid drafted is legit) combined with any head coach not named Bowles and any offensive coordinator he hired, has me thinking the Jets offense will be pretty good. 

Bell

Anderson

Powell

Enunwa

Herndon

Wesco

Montgomery

Powell?

Not bad

I think the top five guys have a real good chance to be greater than the sum of their parts, especially with Darnold throwing them the ball. But I also think if they lose one or two of those guys, they're in serious trouble. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is one of the most interesting storylines in the past few years in the NFL in my opinion.  He goes from one of the hottest HC candidates of the last 5-10 years, playoffs in year one, to the stuff you mention.  Really quite interesting.  Gonna be fun to watch it unfold, one way or another.

Exactly.  We have been boring and bad for most of the last 8 years.  I do think we will be improived this year, not predicting playoffs yet as I still think we have some significant holes.  But between the personaltiies of Gase & Williams, development of young guys like Adams, Darnold addition of Bell & Crowder to the offense.  We will definiely not be boring.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to "Actually" this thread, but I'm still amazed at how quickly and aggressively Gase has seized power here. The dude was a failed and damaged coach five months ago who was going to have to beg for an OC job somewhere and now he's one of the most empowered coaches in the league: fires the GM he doesn't like, brings his buddy in, gets the owner to pay his buddy $3.3m per for six, has effectively cowed the NY media, silenced Manish, impressed Francesa, and is keenly aware that his ticket to success is through Sam Darnold. It really has been an impressive stretch for Gase. If he starts making playoff appearances, he's going to be the biggest coaching story in New York since Pat Riley.  

We're just a bunch of guys cheering our team on, some at the stadium from a decent distance & most watching from TV through a focused small square area of the field. 

I honestly think Gase twice got an upclose and personal look at the youngest QB to ever start a game since the 1970 merger & he FELL IN LOVE! 

There's something happening for our Jets and it's quite extroidinary. In the 2nd half of the season it seemed that after every team we played, win or lose had some type of complement for Sam Darnold. Anyone who has ever played sports knows that feeling. I played High School basketball on Long Island, I was a point guard. I played in a summer league and went up against a kid from Half Hollow Hills who was an all league player, a year older, plus I knew this kid had participated in every BBall camp that existed during the summer. It was an eye opener, even at that level, made me even question my own skills, it was a punch in the gut. 

Can you imagine what it's like in the Pros? Many more GREAT players, but certain guys shine. Guys like JJ Watt, would mention him without being asked after the game. Opponents see it, teammates see it. Gase saw it. And he probably after getting a Jets job he coveted to mentor Darnold, said, damned if I'm letting anyone get in my way after my experience in Miami. That's why I'm so freaking excited about these trifecta of Gase, Darnold, Douglas, there is NO WAY these guys EVER think in terms of a lost season or wait until next year, there is no doubt in my mind Gase & Douglas are already huddling on any perceived weakness & will try to do whatever it takes to try & knock the Patriots off their perch in the AFC first. 

No season is a giveaway when you've secured your QB in the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

Gase

With out Gase the Jets stagger into the year with yet another HC/GM clashing. Not allowing the HC to give his opinions to the scouts is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  

With out Gase mac would probably be here for another 3 years. Even if CJ fired Mac you know he would have just hired who ever was the cheapest candidate.  

Can't say for sure what's going to happen with Douglas, but he sure seems to have the credentials.  

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase is more Boardwalk Empire Steve Buscemi than Airheads Steve Buscemi

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1