Offensive line depth chart

I wouldn't be surprised if Edoga beats out Shell for the starting RT position. I think the rest of the line is set as far as the starters go but I do see some waiver claims probably making the final roster and PS.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, RobR said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Edoga beats out Shell for the starting RT position. I think the rest of the line is set as far as the starters go but I do see some waiver claims probably making the final roster and PS.

Oh you just KNOW they'll be additions/changes by Douglas on that final roster. That's what he's here for.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, RobR said:

I think the light needs to come on for Edoga and even if it does he’s going to need a year in the gym

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

If there's one thing I'm eager to see unfold is how Douglas approaches the Oline. He'll do what he can now but by this time next year I suspect it will look very different.

Minimum two new starters in 2020 on the OLine would be my guess.  Could easily be 3 or 4 and no, I'm not exaggerating.  If Douglas had his way he probably want to transition away from Beachum at LT (average and getting older), Harrison (a bandaid at Center who I'd love as the backup), Winters (time to let him walk, we can do better), and Shell (another guy I'd love to see as a backup).  I'm hopeful Edoga can supplant someone, perhaps Shell at RT this year.  The idea he can be our LT by 2020 or 2021 is a big stretch.  I think the Jets are drafting their next franchise LT 10 months from now.  The Draft is heavy on OLine talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I think Shell will be our RT for a while? He's a decent right tackle, it's Winters & Beachum that need to be upgraded. I think Harrison will play better with a better offensive scheme under Gase & Sams development & recognition being quicker in his 2nd season coached by competent men.

Thanks Sarge, better question for the OP; in 3 years, who is still on the roster ?

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

LT Beachum - Edoga - Smith 

LG - Osemele - Compton - Morgan 

C - Harrison - Toth - Lobedahn

RG - Winters - Braden  - Jones 

RT Shell - Qvale - Anderson - Miller

players need to step up thier game for more than 1 or 2 of them to remain Jets after the JD overhaul

stat of day Mac drafted the same number of QB's as OL (3 each)

• Upvote 1

true enough they need more oline talent but at the same time we'll see how much better this line will perform with a qb who can make quick decisive throws and receivers who can get open earlier.  and bell should also help with his versatility and ability to read where the holes are.  it takes time for a line to play well together.

13 hours ago, RobR said:

I doubt that and I like Edoga

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, RobR said:

I really hope that happens.  I just don't think Shell is up to the task.

13 minutes ago, peebag said:

I really hope that happens.  I just don't think Shell is up to the task.

Shell was drafted in the fifth round. Only in macs world to gm’s expect An OL to be a starter in nfl. Sure once in a while you pull the lucky card, but he should be looked at as just depth. Now that we have a gm who actually values the OL, I think to a very high extent, you will see a major push on the OL next yr. I would almost guarantee Douglas grabs one in first or 2nd round next yr, maybe both. Not sure about the FA OLs available, but we should be able to grab one or 2 good ones there. I don’t think we have much of a commitment to our current OL past this yr

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Shell was drafted in the fifth round. Only in macs world to gm’s expect An OL to be a starter in nfl. Sure once in a while you pull the lucky card, but he should be looked at as just depth.  

he's art shell's nephew 

the guy is going to get a thousand chances in the league whether he starts for the jets or not 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's art shell's nephew 

the guy is going to get a thousand chances in the league whether he starts for the jets or not 

Lol nobody gives a dam. Why he was drafted exactly where he should have been drafted. If you can get a fifth round OL to be a decent backup, not a bad pick. Problem is our former gm would ONLY draft OL in rounds five though seven. He felt the pressure to really push the envelope by grabbing one way up in 3rd lol. Mac is going to choke on his coffee when Douglas pick 2 OLs in top 3 rounds next yr lol

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol nobody gives a dam. Why he was drafted exactly where he should have been drafted. If you can get a fifth round OL to be a decent backup, not a bad pick. 

Halapoulivaati Vaitai was drafted like 10 picks after Shell in the same draft. Presumably Joe Douglas had a hand in that...  they are both starting quality players

not all pros not bums, in between 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Halapoulivaati Vaitai was drafted like 10 picks after Shell in the same draft. Presumably Joe Douglas had a hand in that...  they are both starting quality players

not all pros not bums, in between 

No surprise Douglas and not Mac found the diamond in the rough, especially an OL..  Ha shell is nowhere near the caliper . H. V Is. Shell can’t find his way on the starting line of a OL of a bellow average OL. H. V is now going to be starting guard on a very good OL, a position he never played before.. I can’t wait until Douglas makes our OL good.. Darnold deserves a very good one.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:32 AM, bitonti said:

people are underestimating the impact of KO at LG 

he's a mauler 

What were your thoughts (if you saw it) about the breakdown showing KO struggling last year in a zone scheme?

I love KO, he brings a lot to the table as far as attitude and aggressiveness and I personally believe last year was an aberration, but he definitely should be in more of a power blocking role then zone.

As for the Oline in general, theres no point in having a Qvale on the team if we have Compton.  You can have 1/2 veteran backups but for the most part the backups need to be players you are developing.  I can't imagine Ben Braden is a worse football player then Qvale, who is essentially terrible. 

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

What were your thoughts (if you saw it) about the breakdown showing KO struggling last year in a zone scheme?

I love KO, he brings a lot to the table as far as attitude and aggressiveness and I personally believe last year was an aberration, but he definitely should be in more of a power blocking role then zone.

As for the Oline in general, theres no point in having a Qvale on the team if we have Compton.  You can have 1/2 veteran backups but for the most part the backups need to be players you are developing.  I can't imagine Ben Braden is a worse football player then Qvale, who is essentially terrible. 

I think you are a bit hard on Qvale.  He played about 1/3 of the snaps in 2016 and 2017.  He is cheap and has experience at G and T.  He's not a guy you hand a job, but with a new staff he either takes a step up or he is gone.  I don't think we really have any idea what many of these guys would be in a normal system.  Qvale made the practice squad in 2014 under Rex, with Mornhinweg at OC and Devlin at Oline coach.  In 2015 Bowles came in and brought along Chan Gailey and Steve Marshall at Oline coach.  Marshall stayed constant, but Morton took over at OC in 2017.  In 2018 Bates was OC and added Dennison at Oline coach and Qvale's time dipped.

None of this is to say that he is any good, but there are decent players that get lost in that kind of upheaval.  He is listed with 14 NFL starts and has played at TE to help Shell out on numerous occasions.  

On 6/12/2019 at 11:26 PM, RobR said:

Based on what Joe Douglas has said and his reputation I think it's a given that he'll be active in trying to upgrade the offensive line depth on the waiver wire.

7 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

That overall C depth is ridiculous.  If you want to point to one single reason why Macc got the can just look the lack of quality starters in our OL line.  A ____ ing joke in every way.

This has been going on since Faneca retired. Woody, Brick, Nick. It's absolutely pathetic. Invest in the investment.

• Upvote 1