Coordinator Pressers

Lith

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's truly honest, detailed and unique insider info like this that makes me thank GOD we have Coach and GM pressers.

I mean seriously, how on earth would/could we know this vital piece of information without Coach Kenny Loggins telling us this?

"Real Impresed", clearly, SUPER BOWL!

"Another Coach out there", wow, I've never heard THAT kind of insight before.  Just wow! 

So I guess it's safe to say that you only opened up this thread to crap on anyone who takes an interest in what the coaches might have to say, right? I mean, if it's all just BS, why even click here? 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, slats said:

This is clearly the hot quote of the day. 

I wonder if this is part of Williams' usual shtick, call out the unit's best player (sorry @T0mShane) and tell him he's not so special. That's motivation for everyone, not just the Prez. 

With the GM who drafted him in the fifth round out the door and the head coach showing no interest in the draft this year, whatsoever, all of these draft picks have to work harder and not expect to make the team just because they're draft picks. Douglas and Gase don't give a ****. 

I’d guess it depends on the context of the conversation. Did Williams bring up Adams unsolicited, or was he specifically asked about him? Reagardless, it’s invariably true that Williams has coached a lot of players who are better than Jamal Adams. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess it depends on the context of the conversation. Did Williams bring up Adams unsolicited, or was he specifically asked about him? Reagardless, it’s invariably true that Williams has coached a lot of players who are better than Jamal Adams. 

Brah you think anyone is better than Jamal Adams.

So coming from you, it doesn’t really make a difference lol.

Great stuff! Thanks for posting Lith. Even though Warfish is gonna be pissed......lol
Re; Boyer - we talk about Gase maybe being pissed about some of Macc's move. Maybe Boyer had a say (to CJ) as well?
Re: GW - maybe now the "We signed 3-4 guys for a 4-3" BS will stop. Some on this board are not gonna be happy that he likes Leo.

Right. Not to keep beating on this one but this exactly why we were taking about liking the pressers and wanted to see someone like Williams speak.
I understand the point @Warfish was making of course, but this is the stuff I like to see and hear. Especially in mid June.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

So I guess it's safe to say that you only opened up this thread to crap on anyone who takes an interest in what the coaches might have to say, right? I mean, if it's all just BS, why even click here? 

I opened up the thread to see what special insights would be found, given previous discussions on the value of pressers.

There was nothing but the usual airy fluff, so I made fun of it.  

41 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Even though Warfish is gonna be pissed......lol

I understand the point @Warfish was making of course, but this is the stuff I like to see and hear. Especially in mid June.

And to be clear, I'm not pissed or mad or even critical of the Coaches or staff in ANY way.  This is how the business works. 

I'm just laughing my ass off at the fluff tbqh.  The weight people invest in these fluffy nothing comments is just damn funny.  Folks are right tho, we have little else to talk about in early June, and it's certainly not up to me what folks want to discuss, but I have the same right to an opinion as anyone else here, and I choose to use mine to mock these PR schtick events and (by extension) the idea that anyone takes these seriously as being meaningful, material indications of anything.  There are literally 100% cliche schtick. 

It's funny, even the Mod who is clearly butthurt over my satire post himself asked "....is this just Williams normal schtick", lol.  So yeah.\\:D/

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I opened up the thread to see what special insights would be found, given previous discussions on the value of pressers.

There was nothing but the usual airy fluff, so I made fun of it.  

Did you really?  Come on ?

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The weight people invest in these fluffy nothing comments is just damn funny.  Folks are right tho, we have little else to talk about in early June, and it's certainly not up to me what folks want to discuss, but I have the same right to an opinion as anyone else here, and I choose to use mine to mock these PR schtick events and (by extension) the idea that anyone takes these seriously as being meaningful, material indications of anything.  There are literally 100% cliche schtick. 

Maybe there is a disconnect but I don't think anyone here is taking anything said at these pressers seriously or that is material or impactful to how we're going to play as a team this year.

It's just mildly interesting to hear these guys speak after listening to the droning of Bowles and Mac for the past 4  years.  Which ALSO no one took seriously, but the difference in attitude and delivery is refreshing.  

Nothing more than that. A couple of interesting nuggets but no real strategery being espoused.  Passes the days till camp.

Gregg Williams excitable and revealing in first Jets words: ‘Culture beats strategy’

June 13, 2019 | 12:47pm | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Gregg Williams
Gregg Williams on ThursdayBill Kostroun/New York Post

Gregg Williams has been the Jets’ defensive coordinator since January, but Thursday was the first time he stood at the Atlantic Health Training Center podium to speak to the media.

Starting with a cordial, “Hello, hello,” he came out guns blazing.

“The reason I keep getting hired is culture,” Williams, who held the interim head coaching job in Cleveland last year, said. “And culture beats strategy any day of the week. It’s about how you find ways in yourself to be tougher, how you find ways to play harder, play smarter, for longer than any opponent you go against.”

Culture is what the Jets have talked up when asked about Williams throughout minicamp and OTAs. He wants the defense to play aggressive, and his players like that as much as you might expect.

Williams is a loud presence during practice, but described his coaching style as encouraging — the yelling, he said, can be premeditated and fake. He sees it as a trade-off: yell during the week then stay calm on Sundays.

“Try to put as much external pressure on them as we can, from distractions, voice, from fake anger,” Williams said. “That type of stuff to try to get ready to play on Sundays.” image.gif.cd86dccc894750d2d909793e29400e35.gif

He inherits a Jets defense that didn’t live up to its talent in 2018. The Jets were 25th in yardage and 29th in points, wasting away a year despite young talent in Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams. There are question marks — the cornerback position chief among them — but the potential remains, especially after drafting defensive tackle Quinnen Williams third overall out of Alabama.

Williams said he teaches concepts, trying not to overcomplicate despite using both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. It’s clear that much of his coaching style lies in motivation and, as Williams puts it, culture.

Adams found that out right away upon meeting Williams, who told him, “I’ve coached a lot better people than you before.” At the podium, Williams mimed a shocked face upon telling the story.

“Right off the bat,” Williams said. “But that was the point.”

If first impressions tell us anything, it won’t be the last time Williams makes that point.