It won't mean a thing to you people, but to me...a gift!

14 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I don't post much at all anymore, but I do read the posts and let you younger guys hammer it out.  I've been a Jets fan since '64...a junior in high school when the Jets picked Namath.  Before that, not much of a fan of any particular team.  Fast forward to 1968, the Jets best team by far.  I'm in a little place called Vietnam.  Found out the Jets won the SB about 3 days after...communication wasn't like it is today.  They hire this Joe Douglas guy and to be honest, I didn't know much about him like most of you...just what I read after I knew the Jets were eyeing him.  I watched his presser the other day and afterwards, he brought his family on stage.  BAM...there it was!   Like a beacon in the dark that made my eyes almost as big as our HC.  Joe's dad standing in the back wearing a cap...it said VIETNAM VETERAN.  Like I said, it doesn't mean anything to you guys, but to me, this is an omen or it could be nothing.  Let's hope this is an omen, because I'm in the winter of my life and not many seasons left.

It means something to us Bill. And you have plenty of seasons left, Darnold and the dynasty will extend all of our lives.  :)

His introspective nature is now a valued asset when he’s sizing up players. It allows him to be super-observant. “I always paid attention to people,” he says. “I could get a good read on people.” He honed that skill when he was a scout with the Ravens. Phil Savage, who served as director of college scouting for the team, used to tell Douglas that, more often than not, the first impression is usually the right impression. “I believe there is something to that,” Douglas says.

Douglas refined his communication skills during the summer before his senior year at Richmond by working as an intern in Washington, D.C., with former U.S. Sen. Max Cleland, D-Ga.

“He was a Vietnam vet, and my dad was a Vietnam vet,” Douglas says. “I did a project on the senator’s campaign for a political community course, and he offered me an internship.”

Here is the whole article on Douglas, it is a good read:  http://www.joantupponce.com/personality-profile-joe-douglas/

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Those were good times, even though the Jets crapped the bed.  He's 35 now, can you believe it?!  He was still in high school when we all last met.  Hey, he reminded me of the HOT freaking wings you made...lol.

You guys have to get back up here for a game!

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for your service to our country. I was 9 years old & riding my bicycle when I saw men dressed in uniform at the neighbors house. I ran in the house & told my parents there were soldiers at the Miners house. 

I had no idea what was going on but my parents looked like they seen a ghost when they absorbed what I had just told them. God bless you & thank god you made it back. An absolute shame how soldiers in Vietnam were treated. A stain on American history.

IMG_2170.PNG

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, NIGHT STALKER said:

I don't post much at all anymore, but I do read the posts and let you younger guys hammer it out.  I've been a Jets fan since '64...a junior in high school when the Jets picked Namath.  Before that, not much of a fan of any particular team.  Fast forward to 1968, the Jets best team by far.  I'm in a little place called Vietnam.  Found out the Jets won the SB about 3 days after...communication wasn't like it is today.  They hire this Joe Douglas guy and to be honest, I didn't know much about him like most of you...just what I read after I knew the Jets were eyeing him.  I watched his presser the other day and afterwards, he brought his family on stage.  BAM...there it was!   Like a beacon in the dark that made my eyes almost as big as our HC.  Joe's dad standing in the back wearing a cap...it said VIETNAM VETERAN.  Like I said, it doesn't mean anything to you guys, but to me, this is an omen or it could be nothing.  Let's hope this is an omen, because I'm in the winter of my life and not many seasons left.

Thank you for your service.  I was born in 1959 and as a kid, my heart went out for all the young adults that were sent or decided on their own to go to Vietnam.  I have a special appreciation for all who fought in that war; you guys are all true heroes in my book.  My older brother was born in 1953 and was at the tail end of the war when he turned 18.  He met President Nixon at the White House when my brother won an award for Junior Achievement in High School, and promised my brother that the war would be over when he turned 18, and would not be drafted.  The war was not over when he hit 18, but His draft number was high, so he was not told to go to Vietnam.  

• Upvote 1