FYI: Jets reportedly hiring Champ Kelly as Asst GM

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So our 2nd or 3rd choice for GM is now on board as an Assistant GM? Sounds like a solid addition to our front office. 

agree.  but thinking about it from his POV:  isn't this kind of....odd?  you interview for a job, lose, then take an assistant job to the guy who won?

hey - I'm all for it, but just odd.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how good this is.  It sounds like the reason they are going after Kelly is because the Eagles aren't letting Douglas poach the guys he wants.  IIRC, it may work out better in the long run because Kelly is probably further along and I hear those guys are only under contract through this year, so they may be coming over later. 

Kelly has worked with Gase and Douglas and was highly regarded.  Plus those guys will come over when their contracts are up.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I kind of agree -- but he's friends with both Gase and Douglas and I'd assume Assistant GM will be a step up in pay and title relative to his role with the Bears.

Either way it's a very encouraging sign that we essentially nabbed our first pick and the second most rumored guy on the market too. Feels like for once the Jets might be a halfway respectable destination that people actually want to go to.

oh yeah it's great for the Jets.  I'm just thinking out loud if I went on an interview and did this....

11 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

agree.  but thinking about it from his POV:  isn't this kind of....odd?  you interview for a job, lose, then take an assistant job to the guy who won?

It's still an upgrade from his position with the Bears. Probably more money as well. 

It's possible the Jets wanted Douglas all along and brought certain guys in, like Kelly, as sort of interviews for the Assistant GM role (and to satisfy the Rooney Rule). 

• Upvote 1

The Eagles will likely promote Andy Weidl to VP of Player Personnel and my guess is that promotion will come with a contract extension. There's a chance that he wouldn't sign an extension and would choose to leave next year to re-join Douglas but it wouldn't make a ton of sense because with a promotion he'd be co #2 under Roseman(along with Andrew Berry) and if the Jets hire Kelly as asst GM then if they hired Weidl it would probably be as a VP of Player Personnel which would either be equal to or under Kelly in the heirarchy. Regardless it would be a lateral move.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

There’s 32 GM jobs and 32 assistant GM jobs. Getting an assistant GM job helps you get a GM job in the future and he also got a promotion and I’m sure more money. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's still an upgrade from his position with the Bears. Probably more money as well. 

It's possible the Jets wanted Douglas all along and brought certain guys in, like Kelly, as sort of interviews for the Assistant GM role (and to satisfy the Rooney Rule). 

wow - you're giving the Jets a lot of credit!  we make some good moves and now all of a sudden we're thinking proactively?  what is going on here???

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, iggles nut said:

Per Neil Stratton of Inside the League. Not sure if you're familiar with him or not but he runs a service that helps agents get certified.

Neil Stratton‏ @InsideTheLeague 26m26 minutes ago

More

Hearing the #Eagles have played hardball with the #Jets as new GM Joe Douglas seeks to stock his front office. As a result, I'm told #Bears Assistant DPP Anthony 'Champ' Kelly will be hired by NYJ & is expected to be Asst GM. Kelly has history w/Thomas (#Bears) & Gase (#Broncos).

so when their contracts run out, they will drag their bitter little asses over to Joe, who wiill grant them raises.

The Eagles really have become the most notorious for not giving their guys a single chance unless they are required to.  You have to think at some point that's going to come back to bite them, right?  If you had a chance of a coaching/staffing job with both the Eagles and another team, would you really trust the Eagles to not interfere with your own professional future?

All evidence suggests the one and only reason the Jets were able to get Douglas from them is because, by giving him final roster control, the Eagles could do literally nothing about it.  They've been repeatedly reported as blocking teams from talking to any of their guys whenever possible, and it sounds like they're doing it again now.

That said, I have no issue with the Kelly hire, regardless of why it happened.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

He is asst director of player personnel with the Bears.  Assistant GM is still a promotion.  

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Eagles really have become the most notorious for not giving their guys a single chance unless they are required to.  You have to think at some point that's going to come back to bite them, right?  If there you had a chance of a coaching/staffing job with both the Eagles and another team, would you really trust the Eagles to not interfere with your own professional future?

All evidence suggests the one and only reason the Jets were able to get Douglas from them is because, by giving him final roster control, the Eagles could do literally nothing about it.  They've been repeatedly reported as blocking teams from talking to any of their guys whenever possible, and it sounds like they're doing it again now.

Bet the Vikings wish they had blocked them from hiring the guy they brought in as OC and had to fire in like week8?

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Eagles really have become the most notorious for not giving their guys a single chance unless they are required to.  You have to think at some point that's going to come back to bite them, right?  If there you had a chance of a coaching/staffing job with both the Eagles and another team, would you really trust the Eagles to not interfere with your own professional future?

i also wonder if there is something to the timing of the hire.  if the jets had reached out to the eagles, bears, etc., in jan/feb, would these teams have been more likely to try and block the hire b/c it was right before the draft?  

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Bet the Vikings wish they had blocked them from hiring the guy they brought in as OC and had to fire in like week8?

Actually, the only reason the Eagles didn't block it that time was because his contract had expired, so they couldn't.  Of course I get that it was a joke, but... just saying.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Nice, this was the dream scenario a week ago. Another great talent evaluator who worked well with the other people in the building. Things almost seem to be going too good though which doesn't sit well with me as a Jets fan. Just seems too right.

Signs of the Apocalypse Jets edition:

1) Jets will draft a true franchise QB - Mr. Darnold

2) Jets sign a offensive minded HC - Mr Gase

3) Jets hire young respect highly sought after (by other teams too) GM - Mr Douglas

4) Another GM candidate who is apparently respected and talented signs on as GMs right hand man - Mr Kelly

5) Jet draft Oline high in draft - ?

6) Mr Darnold outduels Brady* in NE in AFC Champ game in Brady's* last chance at another SB - ?

7) Jets about to win SB China nukes said superbowl as a show of force - ?

I like this.  except #6 is in NJ.  ?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

He is asst director of player personnel with the Bears.  Assistant GM is still a promotion.  

Yup, I understand.  And I get it's football, but if it were ME interviewing for a job, and someone beat me out, and now I'm gonna work under him/her?  

unless:  SABOTAGE!  LOL

Another great move for the franchise.  Boy we sure are gettin' awfully "lucky" these days.

As for the guys coming over from the Eagles, forget it.  Douglas does not impress me as the type of guy to wait a full year for "his boys" to shake out of their current situations.  He's moving on, building his own staff and legacy with the Jets, as he should.

If some of these guys become available in the future, then so be it.  In the meantime, full steam ahead.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1