FYI: Jets reportedly hiring Champ Kelly as Asst GM

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

agree.  but thinking about it from his POV:  isn't this kind of....odd?  you interview for a job, lose, then take an assistant job to the guy who won?

hey - I'm all for it, but just odd.

I think behind closed doors everyone knew it was Joes job. 

You take the interview because it is a resume builder for when you do become available

All the time you see when it is time to hire a GM and all these names come up, “Champ Kelly interviewed for the Jets job last year and will likely be a taken by this team”.

Great candidates know when to take an interview. Champ Kelly will either be our assistant GM or in serious talks with another team next offseason for a GM position. 

Either way it’s not like he is going to take Ryan Pace’s job in Chicago. 

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m not a Mangini fan. My point was if the gm and hc were in sync with a united vision, management would have let them continue to build their roster. 

Mangini the coach sucked. Mangini the talent evaluator was very good. My point is, keeping Mangini or firing him, a good front office would have kept the roster going. Instead that all went away, crashed & burned.

Mangini’s alleged talent evaluation skills are maybe the most overrated thing here at JN. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Overrated in what context? In terms of Jets talent people , he’s obviously the best of the last 20 years.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His three drafts were better than the subsequent ten drafts, but ok. 

Because some uh, never mind, choose to give him the credit for those drafts over the GM. Yet, no one in the NFL is offering him a front office job. Crazy. But yeah, light the candle on your shrine. Feel free. Dude sucks, though. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Yup, I understand.  And I get it's football, but if it were ME interviewing for a job, and someone beat me out, and now I'm gonna work under him/her?  

unless:  SABOTAGE!  LOL

"Pride only hurts it never helps" - Marsellus Wallace

increased salary and responsibilities and the order of interviews will not matter,  just have to fight through that stuff, when you're retired and kickin' it in the Caribbean you're gonna say, "Marsellus Wallace was right."

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Because some uh, never mind, choose to give him the credit for those drafts over the GM. Yet, no one in the NFL is offering him a front office job. Crazy. But yeah, light the candle on your shrine. Feel free. Dude sucks, though. 

No shrine. But in the context of the Jets, the drafts were coincidentally better while he was here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No shrine. But in the context of the Jets, the drafts were coincidentally better while he was here. 

And yet, he can’t get a job. The man who actually made those picks got one, though. Go figure. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

And yet, he can’t get a job. The man who actually made those picks got one, though. Go figure. 

Which one of them stamped a permanent asterisk on twenty years of NFL record keeping and ensured its headline coach, quarterback, and team are basically Shoeless Joe Jackson? Is it the one that’s in exile? Because that’d be another #coincidence 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which drafts were those drafts you remember. 

Its gone from crediting him for the good picks only to the entirety of the three drafts.  

Where was our GM out on hiatus? 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which drafts were those drafts you remember. 

Its gone from crediting him for the good picks only to the entirety of the three drafts.  

Where was our GM out on hiatus? 

Tannenbaum was absolutely catastrophic as a GM in any and every year he operated without Mangini. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

4 Ring of Honor players in 2 years.

These would be so on point if Mangini was the actual person making the picks.  

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tannenbaum was absolutely catastrophic as a GM in any and every year he operated without Mangini. 

You mean he was absolutely catastrophic when as a GM Rex was making picks?

Sorry, Tanny was the GM, he made the picks,

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

I think behind closed doors everyone knew it was Joes job. 

You take the interview because it is a resume builder for when you do become available

All the time you see when it is time to hire a GM and all these names come up, “Champ Kelly interviewed for the Jets job last year and will likely be a taken by this team”.

Great candidates know when to take an interview. Champ Kelly will either be our assistant GM or in serious talks with another team next offseason for a GM position. 

Either way it’s not like he is going to take Ryan Pace’s job in Chicago. 

Has a Jets exec been hired for a promotional position by another team since Ron Wolfe left? Seriously.

Its about Goddamn time we get some actual talent in the FO.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which one of them stamped a permanent asterisk on twenty years of NFL record keeping and ensured its headline coach, quarterback, and team are basically Shoeless Joe Jackson? Is it the one that’s in exile? Because that’d be another #coincidence 

NFL teams hate talent evaluators with talent. I’m sure that’s why Mangenius can’t get work. He’s just too good. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

NFL teams hate talent evaluators with talent. I’m sure that’s why Mangenius can’t get work. He’s just too good. 

You’re aware of the dregs that keep finding work in the NFL. There’s no logical reason for Mangini not to have a job in the league other than that he was blackballed. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’re aware of the dregs that keep finding work in the NFL. There’s no logical reason for Mangini not to have a job in the league other than that he was blackballed. 

The logical reason is that he actually sucks and has the personality of an angry shoe. Everything else is fan fiction speculation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

The logical reason is that he actually sucks and has the personality of an angry shoe. Everything else is fan fiction speculation. 

In fact, he does not “suck,” and even if he “sucked,” there are a plethora of men with records worse than his who keep finding work. 

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean he was absolutely catastrophic when as a GM Rex was making picks?

Sorry, Tanny was the GM, he made the picks,

He made the picks, but the head coach very heavily influenced his decisions.

When Mangini was here, they put a premium on high character guys. As soon as Rex showed up, that philosophy went out the door. That isn't mere coincidence.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

In fact, he does not “suck,” and even if he “sucked,” there are a plethora of men with records worse than his who keep finding work. 

I’m out to dinner with my girlfriend for her birthday you tranny-chaser. I’m done for, at least, a while. Mangini sucks, though, that’s why he can’t get work. Nobody but you, who has never met him, likes him. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

He made the picks, but the head coach very heavily influenced his decisions.

When Mangini was here, they put a premium on high character guys. As soon as Rex showed up, that philosophy went out the door. That isn't mere coincidence.

Tannenbaum was an accountant and he knew it, which is why he delegated the draft and free agency. Does anyone think Mangini would ever sign Plaxico Burress or draft Quinton Coples? Likewise, does anyone think Rex is banging the table for Eric Smith or Kellen Clemens? 

• Upvote 2