Poll: Where do we stand on Adam Gase's ability as a HC to make this franchise a winner?

Poll: Where do we stand on Adam Gase's ability as a HC to make this franchise a winner?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Where do we stand on Adam Gase's ability as a HC to make this franchise a winner?

• I'm extremely optimistic
    • I'm kind of optimistic
    • We'll see. He's really more unproven than anything else.
    • I'm kind of pessimistic
    • I'm extremely pessimistic

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/25/2019 at 01:52 AM

Adam Gase has potential, but needs to learn alot from why he failed in Miami.

He had issues on the Xs and Os side of things.  We dont know if it was his fault or if he didnt have a qb who was talented enough to execute what he was asking.

His biggest issue was the personality clash with his players.  He ostracized many talented individuals with his “my way or the highway” attitude.  He has to realize you are not going to have 53 guys with jerry rices work ethic.  

Bill Parcells was very good at managing different players different ways.  Gase needs to realize u cant manage each individual the same.  He has to be smarter then that and figure out the psycology part of coaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I created this poll because it feels like the forum has really swung toward thinking Adam Gase is going to be great.  Personally, I still think he's unproven.

You’ve described our reaction to everything: brief explosion of unreasonable hate followed by long period of unreasonable optimism 

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He had issues on the Xs and Os side of things.  We dont know if it was his fault or if he didnt have a qb who was talented enough to execute what he was asking.

His biggest issue was the personality clash with his players.  He ostracized many talented individuals with his “my way or the highway” attitude.  He has to realize you are not going to have 53 guys with jerry rices work ethic.  

Bill Parcells was very good at managing different players different ways.  Gase needs to realize u cant manage each individual the same.  He has to be smarter then that and figure out the psycology part of coaching.

honestly, i don't know a lot about gase's tenure in miami.  yes there were reports of players not liking him but imo these guys like landry are troublemakers for all of their talent.  and he inherited a punk qb in tannehill.  with the jets he is getting a relatively young team with a qb who wants to play the game and be better and then had some say in getting some of the players during free agency and the draft.  he wanted mosley to be his defensive leader.  so in this context he is making the right moves.  x's and o's?  he got manning's blessing and that counts for quite a bit.

if there is any downside it's that this team is set up for him to succeed and so he must.  if this team starts off slow or misses the playoffs badly, it'll be very rough here.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mike135 said:

He just needs to stand aside while Sam takes us to the promised land.

I agree, that's what he needs to do. That's why I'm only modestly optimistic in Gase.

Hopefully we never have to find out what Gase can do without Darnold.

Whoever is to blame for our success will be argued around here for the next 15 years. 

there's very little evidence he's a good head coach. I'm thankful he's partly responsible for the front office shake up, but that doesn't change my view of his coaching ability. I don't understand how people can say he's unproven. He's not a rookie HC. Under his watch the Dolphins where a mediocre to bad football team. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I call BS. He managed different players and cut bait with problems.

Look how he is handling Bell. Jarvis Landry was a punk... No need to handle him if he is just a problem.

• Upvote 1

I voted "kind of optimistic" because of the way Sam closed out last year. The fact is that Gase is unproven.

The team that we have now is much improved on paper. If it comes together, Sam progresses, Bell is himself, Greg Williams has the D rolling then what is not to be optimistic about. 

41 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

there's very little evidence he's a good head coach. I'm thankful he's partly responsible for the front office shake up, but that doesn't change my view of his coaching ability. I don't understand how people can say he's unproven. He's not a rookie HC. Under his watch the Dolphins where a mediocre to bad football team. 

He was one game under .500 coaching a dysfunctional organization. When you get a coach with previous head coaching experience, the hope is that he learned something there. So he comes to the Jets, also a dysfunctional organization, and promptly organizes it. Ousting the GM and getting his own guy in there. Maybe two of his own guys if Kelly also comes on board. Looks like he learned something. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Sam Darnold at QB as opposed to Tannehill, Osweiler, Cutler, and Moore. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Adam Gase overachieved every season in Miami without a decent QB.  He's going to do great things here

Some people just love drinking the kool-aid. I'm more of a show me first type of person. He hasn't done anything in this league to deserve anything more than that. 

• Upvote 4

I think he'll be a decent coach at least. 

He was 23-25 with the Dolphins but over performed every year. He also had terrible QB's in this stretch but in his system they posted good numbers (Osweiler had close to a 90 rating this year, and Tannehill had over 100 rating most of the year as well)

Am I completely sold on what he can do with the whole team? Not yet. However I'm sold on the fact that he will be great for Darnold in his development and that's the most important part as of now.

• Upvote 3

I thought Miami was a 2 win team last season. They did better that us - which aint saying much for Bowles. Gase needs to be less predictable on offense. He already has Jamal Adams calling out his plays  during offense defense practices. This Jets team will be immensely better this season.

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, Tyler Durden said:

He might have had a mediocre team, but the Fins kicked the Jets butts when they played us.  He was also able to beat the Patriots with that mediocre team.

I do not believe he was a mediocre coach; I believe his talents and abilities will be better utilized as our head coach.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, Tyler Durden said:

Some people just love drinking the kool-aid. I'm more of a show me first type of person. He hasn't done anything in this league to deserve anything more than that. 

I observed him in Miami for 3 years, I thought he did a great job and I was happy, but surprised, we got him.  I am very optimistic.  Maybe he sucks? Who knows what will actually happen but I feel great with where we are at right now.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:49 AM, Tyler Durden said:

On 6/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, Tyler Durden said:

Theres plenty of evidence that he can coach, you just actually have to look at the games he coached to see it.  Not just go by the record of a team missing its QB for long stretches of time.

Its not about drinking the kool-aid, its being a fan.  If you cant be optimistic at this time of the year, with a new HC, new GM new attitude you just dont get it.

• Upvote 1

Basically  as the team is constructed now, everything is in place for him to succeed  from the QB, to the defensive leader, to the front office. They are all his guys or a guy he is excited about (Darnold) so there is that. I don't think I have ever seen a situation like this on the Jets where a HC had this much power or support  except for Parcells but even this situations seems more favorable for Gase than Tuna experienced.  

That said, I voted he is unproven. I personally  think he has an opportunity  to be Belichick in terms of having a superior talent at QB and just riding him to wins and being precieved  as a genius. I'm not sure he makes this team a winner on his own.