Poll: Where do we stand on Adam Gase's ability as a HC to make this franchise a winner?

Poll: Where do we stand on Adam Gase's ability as a HC to make this franchise a winner?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Where do we stand on Adam Gase's ability as a HC to make this franchise a winner?

• I'm extremely optimistic
    • I'm kind of optimistic
    • We'll see. He's really more unproven than anything else.
    • I'm kind of pessimistic
    • I'm extremely pessimistic

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/25/2019 at 01:52 AM

Gase is, at worst, an upgrade from Bowles.  At best, an offensive guru who has been saddled with bad QB play. If the result turns out to be somewhere in the middle; a guy who can optimize the best offensive talent we've had in decades, then we should be able to win ballgames. Every time we played the fins, I was always impressed (pissed) that they could execute and adjust. Things we seemed incapable of. I think a lot of the time, Gase falls into the trap of "going back to the well once too often" but doesn't allow himself to dig in heels for 60 minutes. That, in and of itself gives me a great deal of optimism. I have a feeling that within a couple years, being Sam's OC is going to be very similar to being Peyton Manning's coach. 

• Upvote 3

extremely pessimistic -there is zero reason for optimism he is a proven loser as his record indicates-his teams got WORSE not better under his watch and for an offensive "guru" his offenses were terrible. I have hope but that is different than optimism. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, kmnj said:

extremely pessimistic -there is zero reason for optimism he is a proven loser as his record indicates-his teams got WORSE not better under his watch and for an offensive "guru" his offenses were terrible. I have hope but that is different than optimism. 

Bill Walsh couldn’t make Ryan Tannehill look good

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bill Walsh couldn’t make Ryan Tannehill look good

People forget Tanny was a high draft pick

Tanny had more then one 4000 yard +season and threw for 24-27tds with only 12 ints-I would love Sam to throw for 4000+yards with that ratio

I would say his numbers regressed greatly due to poor health and the Gase system

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

the dolphins offense got worse not better under Gase he is a proven loser-he has not proven he can win and he has not proven his offense can be a top offense

He had nothing but terrible QBs.  He made the playoffs with a combo of Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore then when Tannehill got hurt had an old, fat Cutler off his couch.  Year 3 tannehill was back.  It's hard to win consistently without a QB, he has one now.

• Upvote 1

I am optimistic that he is an upgrade from Bowles and with a promising young QB it might be the right fit at the right time. That said, I am not so optimistic that I am locking in wins. Gase was not blowing away the NFL in Miami but I think the organization as a whole will benefit from having an offensive coach even if Gase ends up being a bridge to a better coach.

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He had nothing but terrible QBs.  He made the playoffs with a combo of Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore then when Tannehill got hurt had an old, fat Cutler off his couch.  Year 3 tannehill was back.  It's hard to win consistently without a QB, he has one now.

so I guess it is unfair to judge bowles due to your train of though-tanny threw for 4000+ yards more then once-I  only hope we get that from Sam

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

so I guess it is unfair to judge bowles due to your train of though-tanny threw for 4000+ yards more then once-I  only hope we get that from Sam

The difference is under Gase without a QB Miami overachieved every year, with Bowles and no QB the Jets underachieved every year.

• Upvote 1

Interesting all the "unproven," votes. The Jets alleged first choice, Matt Rhule, would certainly be less proven. You look around the league, and only 66-year-old Bruce Arians is a lock as more proven than Gase. Maybe 60-year-old Vic Fangio? But I think this website would've collectively jumped off a bridge if the Jets signed a 60-year-old defensive-minded first-time head coach. 

Gase went 5-1 over the Jets with his terrible team, and managed to take two from the Pats over that time, too. If nothing else, he's an upgrade over Bowles. 

• Upvote 2

Voted "we'll see".

Making no forward-looking evaluations till I actually see the man coach a game that counts here for us.

My feelings on his past/resume have been well covered at this point.

Also, lol at all the logical fallacies in the post above mine, wow.  ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, kmnj said:

People forget Tanny was a high draft pick

Tanny had more then one 4000 yard +season and threw for 24-27tds with only 12 ints-I would love Sam to throw for 4000+yards with that ratio

I would say his numbers regressed greatly due to poor health and the Gase system

His numbers regressed because he sucks.  Tannehill is a checkdown loser

On 6/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, slats said:

Interesting all the "unproven," votes. The Jets alleged first choice, Matt Rhule, would certainly be less proven. You look around the league, and only 66-year-old Bruce Arians is a lock as more proven than Gase. Maybe 60-year-old Vic Fangio? But I think this website would've collectively jumped off a bridge if the Jets signed a 60-year-old defensive-minded first-time head coach. 

Gase went 5-1 over the Jets with his terrible team, and managed to take two from the Pats over that time, too. If nothing else, he's an upgrade over Bowles. 

Arians only wanted the bucs job

Only coach I wanted over Gase was McCarthy and tbh Gase is probably better

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 5:16 AM, Jet Nut said:

Theres plenty of evidence that he can coach, you just actually have to look at the games he coached to see it.  Not just go by the record of a team missing its QB for long stretches of time.

Its not about drinking the kool-aid, its being a fan.  If you cant be optimistic at this time of the year, with a new HC, new GM new attitude you just dont get it.

23-25 lifetime , is a good indication  that more mediocrity is coming. Gase gonna Gase. 

2 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

23-25 lifetime , is a good indication  that more mediocrity is coming. Gase gonna Gase. 

Yeah, Shanahan, Belichick and others say hi 

in fact they were worse at their first stops, they had their QBs.  So please, tell me more 

• Upvote 2

I'm on the fence. I really don't think he's done anything to deserve any sort of revered status? I just think the whole package now is much better collectively. Between crazy eyes and Joe Douglas you've got the best up and coming front office the league has to offer. I do think Eyes did a great job scheming the Jets as HC for the Dolphins, but with so little talent and toilet coaching, it's really nothing special. Kind of like outcoaching Rich Kotite.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, slats said:

Where, other than from people who post here has anyone written that Ruhle was the Jets first choice?   Curious because All I have ever heard is they talked staff and Ruhl didn't have anyone with NFL experience and the Jets wanted him to get someone with it to coach Darnold.  Then Ruhle had a hissy fit and talks broke off.  How did that become first choice?  Especially after their first interview, McCarthy was the rumored first choice.  And that was totally wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, Shanahan, Belichick and others say hi 

in fact they were worse at their first stops, they had their QBs.  So please, tell me more 

Gase is not a future star. His goof face press conference  pic all over the Internet is a hint. 

Go ahead and hope as you shall.

• Thumb Down 1

I have hope that we have finally have the stars aline for us
I keep thinking how crappy Belichick was in Cleveland and how he struggle with Bledsoe his first year in NE. He looked quite ordinary
until Mo Lewis hit his QB and Brady got his chance to start. Can you imagine if Bill never had a Brady, how long would he have lasted in NE?
I know Gase is not Belicheck but both were considered up and coming talent in the coaching NFL coaching ranks, when they began there second HC’ing job.
An thinking about it,Gase has a better W/L record at the same point in there careers.
So as I see it, we have the HC coach, we have one of, if not the best DC in the NFL, we have the QB, with the bonus of one years experience under his belt.
So maybe, just maybe it’s the Jets turn to start a dynasty and control the AFC east for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Gase is not a future star. His goof face press conference  pic all over the Internet is a hint. 

Go ahead and hope as you shall.

Like anyone gives a fu(k what a Giants/Pat's fan who thinks Hacks name is funny had to say on this topic.  Here's basically a .500 in 3 seasons most of the time without his starting QB.  I'm ok with that.  Better than a Shurmurs shltty assed resume.

• Upvote 1