Jets Sign a Few Cornerbacks

Mark Myers

The New York Jets made a few roster moves this week on the defensive side of the ball. They signed CB Mark Myers and waived S John Battle.

Myers originally signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent in 2018. A Southeastern University product, the 5’10”, 185-pounder was a four-year starter for the Fire and totaled 91 tackles, 25 passes defenses and nine interceptions in 33 games.

Battle originally signed with the Jets in May as an undrafted free agent. The LSU product recorded 139 tackles, 2.5 stops for loss and 14 pass defenses in 2016-18.

They also claimed CB Montrel Meander who finished last season with the Raiders. That move is interesting because Gregg Williams is familiar with him, having coached Meander last season.

We've claimed CB Montrel Meander on waivers from Oakland.

? https://t.co/W00bIzDO42 pic.twitter.com/6UDvnMivCm

— New York Jets (@nyjets) June 12, 2019

Meander spent the majority of last season with the Browns, the team that signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2018. The 6’2”, 215-pounder was with Cleveland’s practice squad for the first 12 weeks of the year before he finished the season with the Raiders.  

The post Jets Sign a Few Cornerbacks appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
U8rn58z7xVo

Click here to read the full story...

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

2 is a couple, not a few....

Good thing he didn't say several!  I have to admit, I was expecting to read about someone I missed when I saw the title. 

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

Montrel Meander - sounds like he should be a Free Safety

They list both these guys as corners, but both have played safety. Meander was consistently listed as a safety prospect coming out and Myers said he could play any spot in the secondary in his interviews.  They are a pretty funny read - he had the kind of confidence you want, but he'd probably get ripped around here for comparing himself to greats.  He was a tryout player that the Bucs kept for camp.

I read up on him a bit last night.  He didn't play football his senior year and ended up with Southeastern Fire, as they added a football program.  He spent some time with the Apollos in the AAFL, but didn't finish the season with him.  He apparently has some serious return skills.  There were some quotes from scouts stating that the team had prepared well for their inaugural pro day.  I think that led to my favorite quote by Myers.  When they asked him what was the most important thing he learned from coaches, he said it wsa from his first DC who told him to try to dominate on every snap.  Whether it is a game or practice.  He said he practices every practice snap like that.  Probably just coachspeak, but it fits the Douglas love football narrative.

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Good thing he didn't say several!  I have to admit, I was expecting to read about someone I missed when I saw the title. 

They list both these guys as corners, but both have played safety. Meander was consistently listed as a safety prospect coming out and Myers said he could play any spot in the secondary in his interviews.  They are a pretty funny read - he had the kind of confidence you want, but he'd probably get ripped around here for comparing himself to greats.  He was a tryout player that the Bucs kept for camp.

I read up on him a bit last night.  He didn't play football his senior year and ended up with Southeastern Fire, as they added a football program.  He spent some time with the Apollos in the AAFL, but didn't finish the season with him.  He apparently has some serious return skills.  There were some quotes from scouts stating that the team had prepared well for their inaugural pro day.  I think that led to my favorite quote by Myers.  When they asked him what was the most important thing he learned from coaches, he said it wsa from his first DC who told him to try to dominate on every snap.  Whether it is a game or practice.  He said he practices every practice snap like that.  Probably just coachspeak, but it fits the Douglas love football narrative.

I was really just making a stupid joke about his name "Meander"

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

2 is a couple, not a few....

While many people would agree that “few” means three or more, the actual dictionary definition of “few' is, “not many but more than one.” So, a “few” cannot be one, but it can be as low as two.

Yeah and if I put couple in the title people would say they can't stop Tom Brady since they are dating each other.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetstream said:

Meander has to be a Greg Williams suggestion, since he had him on the Brown's practice squad...so who knows what he might be

Was thinking the same thing. The odd (scary) part is the Browns let him go when Willians was there I believe. So Williams must be like wow the corners are really bad here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

While many people would agree that “few” means three or more, the actual dictionary definition of “few' is, “not many but more than one.” So, a “few” cannot be one, but it can be as low as two.

Yeah and if I put couple in the title people would say they can't stop Tom Brady since they are dating each other.

My wife is always asking me why I’m always reading stuff on Jetnation. Going forward, I’ll point to this post and say, “I’m improving my English”.

You learn something on Jetnation every day.

• Sympathy 1

One guy I was surprised that they didn't go after was EJ Gaines.  He started 25 games over two seasons for Gregg Williams with the Rams between 2014 and 2016.  He missed 2015 with a lis franc injury.  Williams had him again for another few starts in Cleveland last year, but got knocked out with a couple of concussions.  Kid signed back with Buffalo for peanuts ($1.7M).  Some of the Cleveland blogs said that he struggled with Williams and the Rams and that it was a Dorsey signing.  Maybe that is the case.  

8 hours ago, GreenFish said:

So this is how things are suppose to work.

Gase: We are thin at corner

Douglas: ok. Let me see what I can do

as opposed to Macc:  Well, here... here is a shiny new DL. Best player in the draft. Never expected him to be there for us. He can rotate with the other 1st round DLs. Or we can get rid of them for minimal returns. Or play them at LBer. 320lbers are super versatile like that. Be creative.

These guys may not make the roster but at least we already know Douglas will attack obvious weak points.

Fixed.

• Upvote 1