The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont root for injuries.  Never will.  But if Mayfield or Brady were injured on field and it ended their career, I hate to say it, I think I'd fine some joy in watching that happen.   It's awful, I know but I'm pretty sure I'd be like, "good riddance".  I'm not proud of admitting that but I cant think of 2 athletes I've hated more in my entire lifetime...maybe Jason Taylor. 

Same here.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Agreed, but there is no plus to these statements... You are just giving more material for opposing defenses to hit you. Maybe he is the next Aaron Rodgers or Favre or better... but man, he is just making it more difficult. Every defense in the league is going to be hyped up to punish him.

Yep. Definitely no plus in going out of his way to defend his new hyper-talented diva WR who needs to feel loved.  I see no way this can benefit the Browns at all, especially not at the extreme cost of angering <checks notes> Giants fans

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yep. Definitely no plus in going out of his way to defend his new hyper-talented diva WR who needs to feel loved.  I see no way this can benefit the Browns at all, especially not at the extreme cost of angering <checks notes> Giants fans

You are missing the big picture. You think this is isolated. This is just the beginning of a long string of running his mouth.  Thats all, karma is a bitch

35 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I don't understand this fascination with Mayfield.  It's not like the Jets had a chance to draft him, and we got a damn good QB in Darnold, who most "experts" felt was a better prospect and that would have a better career.  I don't need Mayfield to be bad to make myself feel better about having Darnold.  I just need Darnold to be great and make the Jets a perennial playoff team.  Fingers crossed. 

I am just happy he is not a Jet... I was all for him and wanted the Jets to draft him. Photographic memory, most accurate QB in college.. etc. etc.

But every time he opens his mouth it makes me glad he didn't end up in NY. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

36 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I don't understand this fascination with Mayfield.  It's not like the Jets had a chance to draft him, and we got a damn good QB in Darnold, who most "experts" felt was a better prospect and that would have a better career.  I don't need Mayfield to be bad to make myself feel better about having Darnold.  I just need Darnold to be great and make the Jets a perennial playoff team.  Fingers crossed. 

Surely you can understand the logic -- as the top two QBs taken in the draft (and likely the only two to turn into stars, IMO) their careers will be forever intertwined. Jets fans want their guy to end up the better of the two.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I dont root for injuries.  Never will.  But if Mayfield or Brady were injured on field and it ended their career, I hate to say it, I think I'd fine some joy in watching that happen.   It's awful, I know but I'm pretty sure I'd be like, "good riddance".  I'm not proud of admitting that but I cant think of 2 athletes I've hated more in my entire lifetime...maybe Jason Taylor. 

The Irony of Brady is that it was Mo Lewis injuring Bledsoe that brought forth the last 20 years of Jets misery.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Surely you can understand the logic -- as the top two QBs taken in the draft (and likely the only two to turn into stars, IMO) their careers will be forever intertwined. Jets fans want their guy to end up the better of the two.

I get it, but there's a contingency of fans who NEED Mayfield to be bad and / or take any opportunity to bash him. which is just wasting energy IMO.  Just root for your guy.  It ain't rocket science.  If the Browns / Jets somehow become an actual rivalry, then I'll pay more attention to Mayfield.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I get it, but there's a contingency of fans who NEED Mayfield to be bad and / or take any opportunity to bash him. which is just wasting energy IMO.  Just root for your guy.  It ain't rocket science.  If the Browns / Jets somehow become an actual rivalry, then I'll pay more attention to Mayfield.  

this.  I can understand the Browns fans hating on Darnold, because they COULD have had him; or us hating on Josh Allen for the same reason.  but makes no sense for us to hate on Mayfield - for his on field performance- because he was not available to us.  dead issue. 

now this off field crap - another story.  I'm sure a lot of Jets fans were thinking (like I was) that Sam would go #1, and that we would get Mayfield.  I know I was trying to talk myself into it:  "I know he's a total a$$hole, but he'll grow up" etc etc.  and seeing stuff like this, I think "man, we dodged a bullet!"

• Upvote 4

Haven't seen this anywhere, if it was posted sorry.  The irony is amusing for anyone who remembered Baker asking for fans to actually show up last season and then blaiming the poor attendance on the weather.

this tools routine wouldn't play out well here.  Giants fans

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield sure likes to hear himself talk. In fact, it seems as if he never stops talking, often taking aim at things he doesn’t like or disagrees with, which was a trend that continued on Wednesday.

In discussing the offseason trade of wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., Mayfield put New York Giants fans in his sights, suggesting it will greatly benefit OBJ to play in front of fans who actually show up and care.

Read that again: Fans who actually show up and care.

“He’s here to play in front of fans who actually care, who will actually show up to every game and pack the stadium and love him for who he is,” Mayfield told ESPN.

It’s clear that Mayfield missed the outrage from most Giants fans in the aftermath of the Beckham trade — many of whom still love and respect the receiver — but that wasn’t his only swing and miss.

The mere notion that Giants fans don’t show up and pack the stadium is not steeped in any sort of reality. In fact, it’s completely fake news.

Struggles or no struggles, Giants fans pack MetLife Stadium every single week without issues and actually travel quite well in comparison to other fans like, say, those of the Cleveland Browns, who have spent nearly a decade wearing paper bags over their heads.

Not only was the Giants’ fanbase just listed among the top five in football courtesy of a recent study done by Emory University’s school of business, but they outdrew the Browns a season ago in terms of overall attendance (No. 4 to No. 18).

Even in 2019, with expectations sky-high for the Browns and the exact opposite for the Giants, expect Big Blue fans to show up their Ohio counterparts just as they always do. Maybe Mayfield will notice.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Giants average attendance: 76,940 

Browns average attendance: 65,765

He's getting obnoxious. 

Cleveland, a wasteland with nothing to do.  Indians and Cavs?  

Giants have to compete with the Jets, Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders for dollars. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No doubt, but I would have a lot more emotional investment in how Mayfield turns out if the Jets actually had a chance to draft him. Since he was already gone when we picked Darnold, his level of success/failure is mostly unrelated to how I feel about the Jets taking Darnold.

This isn’t a Ken O Brien vs. Dan Marino Situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Cleveland, a wasteland with nothing to do.  Indians and Cavs?  

Giants have to compete with the Jets, Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders for dollars. 

Exactly

Also the Browns haven't sold out a game in over a decade.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

now this off field crap - another story.  I'm sure a lot of Jets fans were thinking (like I was) that Sam would go #1, and that we would get Mayfield.  I know I was trying to talk myself into it:  "I know he's a total a$$hole, but he'll grow up" etc etc.  and seeing stuff like this, I think "man, we dodged a bullet!"

Yea, he probably would have had a disastrous rookie season with us. 

Crappy Jets roster + lame duck Bowles + Mayfield’s propensity to talk sh*t + NY media = total sh*tshow 

Browns fans are some of the most passionate fans out there. 

The NY Metro area has twice the population of the entire state of Ohio. And 10X the population of the Cleveland metro area. Yes, the Giants have to compete with NYJ. But the NY market is a whole lot bigger that the Cleveland market.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, he probably would have had a disastrous rookie season with us. 

Crappy Jets roster + lame duck Bowles + Mayfield’s propensity to talk sh*t + NY media = total sh*tshow 

well yeah but even if he did the same - what did he go 7-7 during games he started?  so say he was with Jets and we went 8-8 AND he was talking all this crap?  oh man I'm getting REXingitus again....

26 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Giants average attendance: 76,940 

Browns average attendance: 65,765

He's getting obnoxious. 

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He's right. 

Met Life seats 82,500.  That's 93%.

Cleveland Browns Stadium seats 67, 895.  That's 97%.

And Giants were a totally PSL'ed. Sold out for 30 years since inception.

Mayfield is a good QB, may even turn into a great QB, but goddamn do I find him hard to like and am glad he's not on the Jets. It's one thing to be outspoken and confident, but it seems he goes out of his way to run his mouth. Colin Cowherd, Hue Jackson, Giants fan, which i can agree all deserve criticism but just stfu and play. If he has a bad season in the near future all this will come back to bite him in the ass.

• Upvote 3