Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

Jets fans fear that the guy they were supposed to get is better than the guy they got and it creates this weird energy. Chill guys... Mayfield is going to be the best QB from the draft class but maybe Darnold can be the most successful.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That sums up his entire posting history. 

Yeah but in this case he’s not wrong. Manning will get in and he will be the worst player to ever be inducted into the hall of fame.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think that's junc's argument though.  I think he not only thinks he shouldn't be a HOFer, he thinks he was a terrible QB.  Even when junc is kind of right, he's still wrong. 

Eli was a mediocre QB his whole career except maybe 2 years where he was maybe top 10. He shouldn’t be a HOFer except he will be because the way we evaluate is flawed. 

I don’t see where Junc says Eli sucks but he’s right in that there’s no argument that Eli is not as good as Rivers or his contemporaries that will be in the Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except I don't think anyone is arguing that Eli was better than Phillip Rivers.

There’s a good debate to be had about whether or not, Rivers (consistently a top QB) is more deserving of HOF consideration than Eli (mostly average but lucky). I just don’t think this message board is the place for it right now, everyone seems wound up and stir crazy.

Also Mayfield 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd say he elevated his team's play for those 2 Super Bowl runs.  Beating the Patriots in a Super Bowl is not easy.  Doing it 2x makes him a hero. 

Even if he sucked for most of the rest of his career, he has that.  He's basically Joe Flacco except he had 2 magical postseason runs instead of 1.

What’s crazy is that if the Giants weren’t some weird cult of AM radio listeners the Giants would have moved on from Eli like the Ravens moved on from Flacco. 

Also Flacco and Eli are basically the same player except, Flacco is a better Playoff QB.

Also you’re agreeing with Jet Nut... think about that.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Rivers obviously has the better composite numbers, but for whatever reason always took a dump in the playoffs. The game on the torn ACL will give him street cred though. Eli gets in on the starts streak and Super Bowls. QB's who play as long as they have will always get consideration. 

You have to look at the coaching here. I can’t name any of River’s coaches besides Anthony Lynn. Manning was coached by a HOFer. 

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Btw, I’m not sure you fully understand...how crushing it is to my life...that a stranger...on the f*cking internet....buttfumbles....my posts.

It is...devastating. 

@kdels62

Hmm... what? I just think sophomoric, name calling on an internet message board is worthy of a little picture of a handsome man running into a big man’s butt.

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s not innocent. 

It f*cking hurts man. 

I’m fragile and the horror of what you have done effects me.

Real peoples behind real keyboards. 

Why you so mean. 

You’re very cool.

But you’re missing the point of all of this. Is Baker Mayfield a top QB in the league? The answer is clearly yes.

Just now, Peace Frog said:

No YOU’RE missing the point. 

I’ve been a Baker fan for 3 years. Not as good as Sam but damn good. 

You’re disrespectful,horrific, ne’re I say hateful “buttfumbling” of my post is unacceptable. 

I WILL not accept it. 

Take it back. 

Meanie. 

Baker Mayfield is better than Sam Darnold, always has been but I hope Darnold can make it debatable.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I would buttfumble this post.

But that’s not my style. 

And if you did, I wouldn’t mention it or write a series of posts to convince everyone that it doesn’t bother me. 

But also yeah, Mayfield is better at everything except being a Jet.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats nice, one partial season, two completely different staffs, with massively better offensive personnel in Cleveland and  you make as foolish a statement as there is.  

You arent even a good troll, just a troll

Also 3 seasons of excellence at OU. A record setting season with less than 16 games played. Stronger arm, more accurate than our guy. 

Darnold will probably be good. Mayfield is good.

It’s not trolling, it’s just reality.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

So what did baker say 

He directly scolded his receivers for running routes in a way he felt was unacceptable. It’s had zero fallout.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes 24 and Sam was 21 a year ago.  

I didnt say Mayfield wasnt good, never have.  Just asking, yes or no, does Mayfield have the season he had in Cleveland if he started on last years Jets team?  Same number of games, RAnderson, Enunwa etc out?  No run game?  

Same numbers?  

Reality is you cant look past the stat sheet if you answer yes

He’d have had a better year than Darnold did. 

Fun fact: last season Mayfield was 23, 2 years older and miles better than Darnold. 

What is it that Darnold does better than Mayfield?

Arm strength: Mayfield

Accuracy: Mayfield

Decision making (on field): Mayfield

Track record: Mayfield

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you know this how?  Other than to guess.

Anyone who says Mayfield has the stronger arm sets the record straight right away.  

You make a lot of assumptions off a partial season.  

Good for you though.  I'll take the kid whos 3 years younger and was the higher ranked QB going into the draft.  Thats me, argument is over you believe what you want

2 years younger. Anyone that had him ranked higher were wrong. If you watched those games you’d know how good Mayfield was. 

Mayfield has the stronger arm, if you watch then you can see it. The ball explodes out of Mayfield’s hand and he darts balls into tight windows. Darnold isn’t on that level.

Also don’t ask me a ridiculous hypothetical and then say that my answer is invalid because there are no statistics for an alternative reality. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Mayfield had nearly twice the college experience that Darnold had. It's no surprise that he had a better rookie year. He's talented. But I don't understand giving him the edge in arm strength, accuracy, or decision making going forward. I look forward to seeing how their careers play out. Sam's now my QB, and I'd bet on him as the bigger, stronger dude with the higher ceiling. We'll see. 

He gets the edge in those because he has those traits over Darnold. He was statistically better in his first season at OSU than Darnold was in his best college season. And for all of Darnold looking more prototypical, he is not as good.

I want Sam to be great and I think he’ll be plenty good to win in this league, but I can’t buy that he’ll be better than the guy that is elite in all relevant measurements of quarterbacking.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Explodes out of his arm.

LOL

Watch USC games 

I watched so many USC games that I was sure Darnold wasn’t the best QB to come out that year. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was ranked higher for two years.

Baker was ranked behind Darnold, Rosen and Allen.

Right or wrong ultimately isnt the point.  Neither is to just say, they were wrong after playing part of one season

Ranked higher doesn’t mean anything. It is literally nothing, especially since it was the opinions of people that don’t work in front offices. 

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Right now I’d say yes baker has a slightly stronger arm if we are talking about simply rifling a ball in a straight line.

however Darnold has a stronger arm throwing on the move and from awkward positions/his feet not set. 

You don’t make the throw @ 1 min in this video without incredibly special throwing abilities. 

Darnold is a good talent but Baker makes ridiculous throws all the time from any body position. If Darnold manages to be individually better than Baker it’ll be an upset. Darnold may end up more successful and I hope he is.

2 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Two years is A LOT of development time. A guy coming into the league as a 5th year senior compared to a RS Sophomore is pretty drastic.

Irregardless this whole argument is stupid. Mayfield was much better than Darnold as a rookie, but nobody knows what the future holds. 

The problem with equating these things is that it ignores that Baker’s worst in college was better than Darnold’s best. It also ignores that Darnold’s rookie season means that he can either be good or bad going forward. For Mayfield to fail to be anything other than really good would be an upset.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Mayfield is great, extremely accurate with a strong arm but he doesn’t have the same ability to read and dissect defenses like Sam and doesn’t have Sam’s ox-like physique. Sam’s arm is just as strong and I’d argue more accurate into tight windows.  

But you can’t actually argue that he’s more accurate, it’s just not true at any level. Mayfield’s big calling card is being as good with his eyes as he is talented with arms. He’s that good and he’s shown it at the NFL level, Sam hasn’t yet.

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I don’t agree- show me one throw Baker has made that is comparable to that. Baker is a twitchy rythm passer.

There’s a throw in here that 40 yard across the field while on the move. It’s wild. But he can do what Darnold can do and then he does all of it better. 

12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Not true- Darnolds 6 best games last year are comparable to Bakers best six. Darnold has shown the ability to play at an elite level just like Baker has. Difference is Baker was more consistent and didn’t have as big of down games.

In his best 6 games Mayfield had the same amount of TDs as Darnold’s whole season. But yes I believe Darnold can be exceptional, but he won’t be Mayfield.

14 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

If you’re pumping your guy, you should at least know mayfield attended OU and not OSU.  I think those schools hate each other.

The shame

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

Too much fun.  Let the fanboys go at it.  

Mayfield is a brown, they can cry and argue all they want....fact, Sam is a Jet.  He’s who you got, and frankly, the Jets could have done a lot worse.

I think Mahomes is much better than mayfield, or Sam.  Couldn’t care less about the Chiefs though.

I just really like Mayfield. His personality is fun and he’s really good. I’m so excited for Darnold’s career but I don’t believe he’ll be as good as Mayfield who will be an all-time guy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobR said:

Would you trade Darnold straight up for Mayfield? 

I know I wouldn't. 

I’d give Darnold and a first right now. At the end of the season I might only give Darnold.

If Darnold this year has Mayfield’s rookie season, we’ll all be so happy.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And from reading your college reviews you didnt notice or care that Baker played in a gimmicky wide open offense while Darnold played in a more conventional, pro style offense.  Or that Darnold lost a large portion of his team going into his senior year.  We already know that you dont see that a year and a half exp vs 4 makes and their ages make them different then and now.

Baker had the better rookie year, we all know this.  Most of us think that by the time Darnold hits 24 years old, he will be the better QB.  

Darnold played in a spread system and made no line checks. There was nothing pro-style about Darnold’s college ball. And yes Darnold is younger but in college in his first year starting Mayfield did what Darnold did, but he did it better. 

If Darnold can improve to Mayfield’s performance last year this season will be a success.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure he did.

You'll just keep going.  Mayfield played in a completely different O, in a different conference against weak defenses.  I dont care what your comeback is.  Hes older.  Hes played more games.  He played in a gimmick O that had people wondering if he would have problems in the NFL.  He was ranked 3-4 spots below Darnold, even with the age and exp differences.  There are no butts.  

The last line is just some lame troll try

Didnt realize how bad a Mayfield fanboy you were.  You might be the biggest Baker fanboy on JN.  Congrats.  

What’s weird is that I have a point a view, backed by all these facts and observations. Other people disagree and we get along, jovially laughing at my follies or just disagreeing. 

Then you come along, like a vacuum of joy and condescend and speak like someone with more than an ill conceived prepackaged opinion. You bore me.

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You pretty much have given your opinion, which you are total entitled to off of your feelings.

You feel that BM has a stronger arm, no facts.  You feel he can read a D better, not a fact.  You feel hes more accurate, not a fact.  You feel he would have been better than Darnold if he had played on the Jets last year, not a fact.  You feel those who ranked him 4th or so last year were wrong, not a fact.  Check out the definition of a fact, might help 

So yeah, when I point this out, some say, youre right, others get their panties twisted and say things like "a vacuum of joy and condescend and speak like someone with more than an ill conceived prepackaged opinion. You bore me."

Have to love those who talk about free flow of opinion and then fight with everyone who has a differing opinion and claim there here to fight.  Youre telling the same old story.  Best is you jump to the defense of every poster on the board who I think is clueless.  And hey, have to ask.  Since youre bored, wtf do you keep replying to me, cant you let anything die?  Oh yeah, its me and my prepackaged opinion  

Bye, dont reply, youre really boring with your whining 

I can’t help myself. I love to debate and discuss opinions and provide facts for the things I think. You don’t. For instance, PFF points out that Mayfield better than Darnold based on his on field performance and evaluations. You disregard that because “your eyes are better.” Every metric shows that Mayfield is better and has been better than Darnold at every level. You disregard this because “your eyes.” You cite sources that liked Darnold but don’t look at their evaluation method which they don’t provide and mostly consists of “I liked the way this looked,” without regard for their past failures. 

So while I’ll give you my opinion I’ll give you good reasons for those opinions. You’re just loud.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every matrix showed that BM outperformed Darnold up until the ending 4 games of the season.  True.  With better players, better coaching and more exp right now, yes.  We all get this.  The mistake is actually thinking this means it waill always stay this way because PFF says what we all saw in the numbers.  You can argue with yourself all you want but you just dont Fn get it.  In fact maybe thats your problem, you dont even know the argument that youre starting.

So where am I loud?  Why do you really keep coming back?  

Im BORED, one last time, GO AWAY

So Mayfield is better and the only thing that might make him not better in the future is your hope? I agree with this.

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Some hope yes of course, but we are projecting Darnold based on his age, talent, and performances. The kid is incredibly talented. Tony Romo believes Sam has the potential to be the best QB in the NFL- is he basing it off hope too?

Kind of. He gave a hot take and didn’t give you film or analysis, he just made a statement that if he’s right he’ll take credit for and if he’s wrong it’s no harm no foul.  No one saw Mayfield being as good as he was last year. There are sites that have lists with Mayfield as the 10th best prospect in the last 2 years, it’s important to know what they missed. FWIW you and I didn’t see eye to eye on Darnold before or during the season but I’ve definitely grown to believe in Darnold’s ability.

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I’ll have to say, you guys are “different”.

The longest running thread of all time on our USC message board was “What is better than a wet Song Girl?”, 1,000+ pages of photos of the Song Girls over the years in different poses, lots of photos of them in their tight sweaters jumping into the lake in Tahoe (a tradition), into a pool for the charity “Swim with Mike” and anywhere in the world they’ve made an appearance representing the US and USC.

I’m definitely telling them about this QB fanboy stuff.  🤣

Do you have any links? 

Are any of them mouthy and on the shorter side?

• Haha 4

Mayfield should never have gotten married. That's my only takeaway. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company