Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

On 6/14/2019 at 9:35 AM, Legend Killa7 said:

THIS is the type of crap that drives me nuts.  will Mayfield be better than Darnold?  maybe, maybe not.  But man, I would not want this crap on my team!  so sick of years upon years of crap like this on our Jets.  Could you EVER see Darnold doing anything like this?  I mean the guy is borderline boring to be quite honest!!!

they try to mic him up during practice and you fall asleep!!  LOL

but yeah Mayfield...and just wait till OBJ gets going...

I’m still a bigger fan of Darnold even before the draft I wanted Sam here 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, I think he only won 2 more games than Sam, but he lost 1 less.  Mayfield was better than Darnold in every category - 6% more completions, 40 more ypg, more game winning drives, like 10 more TDs with less INTs, .8 more ypa.  I am happy with Darnold, but at this point Mayfield has been the better QB. 

But you have to take into account that Baker has better protection and weapons. Also is two years older so he might of been more NFL ready in year 1 but I doubt that’s gonna last.  Don’t get me wrong Baker was impressive but Sam can do more things IMO and has the higher ceiling.  Sam was great in the second half despite no oline and no weapons outside of a rookie Herndon and Robby 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%!!

And I wanted the Jets to draft Mayfield.......

My fear concerning Darnold was the Jets have never really developed a QB properly as far as I can see (Closest was Chad) and certainly not in the last 15 years, Baker IMO had less Downside forget Upside, so I wanted Baker for that reason alone.. 

Think with Bowles and Mac incharge could anyone truly believe that they were going to groom a young QB?

What has happened so far in IMO is a miracle.

I think it just shows how good Darnold is. Despite having an awful coach and no protection or weapons his rookie year as a 21 year old he still impressed. For example   When Baker faced the Texans who were a playoff team and a defensive monster he obviously struggled a lot.  When Sam faced them he singlehandedly almost beat them.  So much that the Texans were praising him afterward.  I think Gase and Douglas are gonna help Sam reach his ceiling

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I didn't know about Mayfield and the Texan's game...

I am actually going to look at it now!

Thank you!

Sure.  I think he threw 3 picks.  I’m not trying to say Baker wasn’t good because he obviously was but I always wanted Sam    Before any other QB in that draft.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you have to remember for all his production with those weapons he beat one team with a winning record.

Very True.  

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Could of been worse, my choice was Josh Rosen. Imagine him behind the Jets line..

Oh god lol

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Only took him 7 years of saying and doing endlessly stupid things in college and the pros to finally recognize this.  

Let's see how well he sticks to this script when the team opens up with a Week 1 blowout loss against the Ravens.

I have a feeling his new “philosophy” won’t last 😂 

• Upvote 2

Look I don’t sugarcoat it I don’t like Baker on a personal level.  I never liked the brash personality type.  It’s just not for me and when I played sports I was more reserved and let my play do the talking.  Now I do think Mayfield is talented. However I never felt his ceiling was that high.  He was the most QB ready coming out of the draft compared to Sam and Allen but I think it was because he a couple years older and more experience.  I mean last year was an eye opening experience because he had more hype than anyone coming into year 2 along with a Ton of talent around him and he took a big step back.  Maybe that was just a down year but who knows.  I’m not gonna blame Kitchens just like I’m not blaming Gase.  We shall see 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Not bad, I got a chuckle out of this post, so consider this me giving you the last word.

@Jets723 seems to be a big fan of yours also, so you've got the weasel stamp of approval thing going for you too.

So giving a upvote means that you are “ a big fan” Very Interesting 🤔 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And its not just his personality potentially getting in the way when the chips are down.  It's a lack of experience in dealing with adversity.  In the Big 12, the chips were hardly EVER down because of how weak the defenses were.  Mayfield is facing adversity for the first time in his playing career.  

Hence why that Georgia player was yelling "Humble yourself!" at Baker after the Bulldogs beat the Sooners in the 2018 Rose Bowl.  And yes, while that was a high scoring affair (54-48), Mayfield had a very pedestrian day (23/35, 287 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT).  Oklahoma's ground game (242 rushing yards, 2 TDs) carried the day for OU.  

Yeah look despite what I think of him personally I think he has talent.  I just don’t know how consistent he can be or his overall ceiling.  Obviously he was a couple years older and had more college experience than the other QBs in that draft but I’m not sure is he is a finished product at this point.  I do think last year was very telling considering all the talent he had around him and still took a big step back 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company