Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Change the names to Darnold and Bell and everybody says non-issue. Sure, it sounds company man af if Johnson were angling for something besides just plain off the team, but since he isn't, what do you want Mayfield to say? The same thing, but in the more diplomatic language of bland cliche? That's not the kind of guy he is and not the kind of quarterback anybody really wants. It would be a whole other thing if he was involving himself in a teammate's contract dispute.

Well, Darnold wouldn't say that. That's the difference.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Williams demands accountability, publicly talks smack about Adams, no filter or BS, "coached better players", etc.  Jets Fans Rejoice.

Mayfield demands accountability, says "be here or not if you want, we the team are going forward", no filter or BS, etc. Jets Fans Proclaim Implosion.

Saturday Night Live in it's heyday couldn't write this any better.

Mayfield is 100% correct.  Want be be here, great, lets get to it!  Don't, fine, **** off and get out the way player, we got a team to lead.  He's 100% doing what Jets Fans have wanted our team and players to do for ages, ignore the bullsh*t and get to business.

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THIS organization, so either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Those utterly non-PC answers are brilliant.  Had a Jets QB said them in the same spot, this forum would literally be deifying the QB for having said it.

Yeah, but it's not about what the fans want. It's about other guys in the locker room. The point of the article is that other Browns players didn't like what he said and confronted him about it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, "Implosion", I get the spin.  

Jets Fans when the media spins something here:  DAMN MEDIA GRRRR!!!!

Jets Fans when another towns media gins up a story:  Wow, we TOTALLY believe that, IMPLOSION!

I mean, I think most posters see it for what it is.

The most notable part of this for me is the contrast between Baker and Darnold, seeing as they were the two QBs we were most likely to end up with. Some like Baker's brash confidence and attitude but I think it's hard to look at how he carries himself and not think he'd be the Rex Ryan of QBs in New York.

Who knows how their careers will end up measuring up over the long haul in terms of production but I can say I'm happy as hell Darnold has an Eli Manning/Derek Jeter type demeanor instead of a Rex Ryan one.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

100%

Like I've said, I like Mayfield, don't have a problem at all with most of his, "stuff," but you stay out of your teammates' management-labor issues. Either support your teammate or shut up. 

I mean, this is pretty much the stance every athlete has ever taken. When it comes to "business" you never criticize a teammate (or another player, really) on how they manage their career.

Leveon getting killed by the Steelers offensive line last year is honestly one of the only times I can ever remember players going after a teammate over something like this (which isn't' a great sign, tbh.)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think much of it comes from the amount of money Bell got and was leaving on the table.  Bell was right not to let the Steelers ride him like rented mule, but when none of the linemen make half that tag and they are killing themselves every down, it's tough not to want the guy in the trenches. 

I agree -- and I'm sure many of the lineman viewed Bell's "patient" running style as a product of their elite blocking. It was still odd to see them rip him.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Duke Johnson has a point.  The Browns extended him and dumped Crowell, but they will probably lose interest in him if/when Hunt comes back around mid-season.  They will cut him in 2019 and he will be looking for a new deal at 26 off a down season behind Chubb and Hunt.  Duke has to press the issue now because he will be losing the upper hand shortly.   

I have no real issue with Duke wanting out and I have no real issue the Browns holding onto him. Nobody is really in the wrong here, both sides are just acting in their own self interest. Standard stuff, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ah, the ol' "New York is special and different" trope.

It's really not.  Not that anyone can convince New Yorkers of that.

Rex didn't fail in New York because he was Rex'ian in his big huge mouth.  He failed because Sanchez was a horrible QB who never got better over his career and he never could sort him out (or the Offense itself) or get a better one.  New York (and Jets Fans in the vast majority) loved Rex when he was here and winning.

Yeah, this just isn't true. Smaller markets have less media, get less attention. You fart in the wrong direction in New York and it's a story. Granted it's less of an issue in football (the NFL is truly a national league in a way the others aren't) but it's still true.

Here's the reality -- the best teams limit distractions. They limit schisms. They limit stories. This allows them to keep the focus on football. You see this in all good organizations and when teams like the Steelers and Giants go off the rails and start becoming a circus, you see the decline.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Indeed, we don't know.  Baker is volitile and passionate and that, if not controlled, can burn up and out a guy.

Darnold is laid back SoCal  vanilla milktoast, he always says the right thing (so far) and seems unfazed (and dispassionate at times).  That can be great if the passion is still these under the skin, behind the scenes.

I'm not happy to have one over the other, I want the one who is going to win 5 Super Bowls.  We don't know which, if either, is that guy yet.

Look at how the overwhelming majority of Super Bowl winning QBs act in the media. There's a commonality.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Counterpoint: Joe Namath.

Yes, 50 years ago when there were three TV channels, no internet and no social media. There will never be another Joe Namath.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I don't understand this fascination with Mayfield.  It's not like the Jets had a chance to draft him, and we got a damn good QB in Darnold, who most "experts" felt was a better prospect and that would have a better career.  I don't need Mayfield to be bad to make myself feel better about having Darnold.  I just need Darnold to be great and make the Jets a perennial playoff team.  Fingers crossed. 

Surely you can understand the logic -- as the top two QBs taken in the draft (and likely the only two to turn into stars, IMO) their careers will be forever intertwined. Jets fans want their guy to end up the better of the two.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

No doubt, but I would have a lot more emotional investment in how Mayfield turns out if the Jets actually had a chance to draft him. Since he was already gone when we picked Darnold, his level of success/failure is mostly unrelated to how I feel about the Jets taking Darnold.

This isn’t a Ken O Brien vs. Dan Marino Situation. 

Definitely agree that Allen or Rosen being better than Darnold would be way more of a big deal.

• Upvote 3

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company