Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Baker Mayfield is 100% right. Probably shouldn’t have said it, but it makes him no less correct. 

I don't  think so. This could turn into a pretty messy situation. I think Johnson is going to be there for the season and Baker should be smart enough to realize  this and stand behind his teammate.

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I get that but he wasn’t even speaking on his money. Where are y’all getting this from? Duke wants to leave because he’s soon to be behind Nick Chubb AND Kareem Hunt. The guy’s gripe is over playing time and his role on the team. If it was contractual issue then I’d agree with you but it’s not lol. I have no problem with Baker publicly telling a guy to buy into his role on the team no matter what that is or get lost. He’s being as blunt as possible and you really can’t hate on that. Could Baker have packaged it differently? Sure but it is what it is.

Le’Veon Bell’s situation was contractual. People were counting his pockets. Again, not so much this tho.

I didn't  get the buy into your role or get out. I felt It was more you are either with us or you are not and if you are not then get out. 

I don't  blame Duke for wanting to leave. He has talent and a lot of teams would love to sign him and feature him as a third down back. That said due to Kareem  getting a long suspension,  he most likely will retain that role but the writing is on the wall. Johnson will be the odd man out in the rotation once Hunt starts playing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So much pointless butthurt. You get that how good Mayfield is and how good Darnold is are not zero sum, right? Based solely on his ability to make Jets fans threatened and irrational and bitchy and delusional Mayfield projects as the next Brady. As compared to Darnold's being hopefully probably pretty good.

Are you seriously saying Mayfield projects to be the best QB to ever play the game, because that is what Brady is. Didn't  Brady take the Pat's to a SB his first season. I think Baker fell a bit short of that. Maybe this season he proves me wrong but nothing I saw last season even suggests he will be the next Brady

• Thumb Down 1

18 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Jets fans feel the need to tear down Mayfield. It makes them feel better about having Darnold when they tell themselves Baker will implode. Me? I root for Darnold because I’m a Jets fan, but I’d rather have the guy who set the rookie passing records and turned his team around.

Mayfield did what we dreamed Darnold would do last year. Let’s hope our guy can catch up.

Reverse the teams and put Darnold on a loaded Browns team and Baker with nobody to throw to except Anderson and Herndon.  Do you think Baker still has a record?

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Record setting rookie season.  The guy can say anything he wants about Giant fans.  He is awesome!

Sure, even if it is no way rooted in reality.  Sounds like Baker could tell you the sky is purple. 

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Metlife Stadium capacity: 82,550

FirstEnergy Stadium capacity: 67,895

The point is not who draws more, the point is Baker said something that is total BS. NYG fans come out to the stadium and care deeply for the team. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You hypocrites masturbate to a non-stop self-promoting strong safety with one career garbage-time interception but yes certainly a sassy 22 y/o QB who played like Drew Brees would certainly be beyond the pale. 

The only thing he has in common with Brees is lack oh height.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I come from a family of Giants fans, only my brother wasn't  upset they traded OBJ and his reasoning was that this will get us back to the SB. Baker was totally talking out of his rear end

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He won the heisman.  The spotlight has been directly on him for years.

Winning that trophy means nothing to NFL players. It's  only a big deal in college

15 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Giant fans think Eli is a Hall of famer, it's hard to take them seriously. Odell was a special talent who was frustrated playing with a bad QB.  It was a mistake to move him.  They would have had 2 experienced top players on their O this year and moving forward.

Baker was off only because pretty much every team struggles to attract fans when they stink.  Last year Cleveland had optimism with Baker so he didn't see the empty seats they had a year earlier or teams like the Giants (and Jets) have seen during these lean years.

I would guarantee Eli makes it to the HOF. 

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It would be the biggest sham in the history of the hall, a total disgrace.  They have let undeserving players in before and they will again especially with that last name but he doesn't even belong in the discussion.  The Hall is supposed to be for the greatest players of all time, I have yet to see one person state a case why Eli is one of the greatest QBs of all time.  Because his D carried him to two SBs and he won MVPs he didn't deserve is not enough to get enshrined in the hall.

If he makes it he will be the ONLY QB to have never made a single all pro team, he will be the only 2 time QB champ that never led his O to at least 20 points in either SB.  

What are you talking about? I don't  like Eli and I don't like the Giants but the helmet catch is one of the most memorable  passes ever thrown in a SB. Don't  blame Eli for the WR making the catch 100x harder than it had to be, but he got the ball there and got it there under pressure. He also threw the winning TD pass to Plaxico. 

Eli also topped 3k yards many times in his career

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He basically threw a hail Mary to Tyree.

Year in, year out in the top 10?  That's because year in and year out he's top 10 in attempts in mostly meaningless games accumulating garbage time numbers.

He should be top 10, if he was great he'd consistent be top 5 while leading categories now and then.  

15 seasons, here are his top 5 finishes:

Attempts 4

Yards 3

TDs 3

Rating ZERO

INTs 6(led three times)

Leading the league in a major category other than INTs (which he did three times)?  ZERO

He only earned 2 pro bowls, he made 2 more when multiple QBs dropped out and he was sent as a replacement.

ZERO all pro teams

He's only earned player of the week 4 times in my 15 seasons, for perspective Ryan Fitzpatrick has won that award 7 times (126 starts compared to 230 for Eli), Chad Pennington 6 times in just 81 starts.

It's not that he's never won without a D, most winning teams have good Ds.  He's never won without spectacular playoff defense.  He's only won playoff games in 2 postseasons and in those playoff wins his D never allowed more than 20 points.

Eli played well in both SB wins but without incredible D he doesn't get close to either SB.  He was a lot like Sanchez, the difference was Eli's D's stepped up in conference title games and SBs while Mark's did not.

I love how you go back to insulting me, you can't attack the argument so you attack me.

The assertion that it was a hail mary pass is ridiculous because it came down right where the reciever was, he didn't  just throw it into a group of players which is what a haol mary is and hope for a llucky deflection, there were only 2 players where the ball came down, Tyree and the Pats defender so the ball was placed where a catch could be made. 

Why do you insist on this crap. Eli has led the Giants and led that team well. 2 SB"s. Many winning seasons. And please, name me a team that win it all without a really good D. The Chielfs last season had the best O I think I ever saw. What happened there? In OT they couldn't  stop water rolling down a hill let alone the Pats.  No team wins a SB without that. 

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He threw it up for grabs, it was a desperation play.  It worked, credit to him for escaping the tackle and getting the ball up but it was a very lucky play just as the game ending int that Samuel dropped was very lucky.

Eli as a starting QB is just 2 games under .500, he's only been to the playoffs 6 times in 15 years and has gone one and done 4 of those 6 appearances.

You need good D to win, Eli needed spectacular D to win.  He's never won a playoff game when his D allowed more than 20 points.  He's the only multiple SB winning QB that hasn't led his O to at least 20 points in a SB, he's one of only 2 SB winning QBs that didn't lead his O to more than 20 in regulation in both conf championship game and SB(in games they started and finished) and he did this TWICE! The only other QB to do this was backup Jeff Hostetler in 1990 and in the SB he and his O won that game by holding the ball for 40+ minutes keeping the high powered Bills O off the field.

You know what, I would take Eli and all of his stats over having a QB like Marino who lit up the record books and never won a SB. 2 rings for Eli. End of story. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You are insane then.  Put Marino on those Giants teams and they are a dynasty.  They wouldn't have been sneaking into the playoffs as a WC or 9-7 weak division winner.

Dan Marino played on most weak teams and was 147-93 as a starter, Eli is 116-114. Marino once led his O to 34 points in a playoff game and lost.  

Eli over Dan Marino 😂😂😂😂

Marino is exactly what you are criticizing  Eli for. A QB that never got it done in the post season. Oh wait, Eli won two SB's so check that. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jet Nation's obsession with all thing Mayfield and all things Giants is bordering on clinical....

The Big Mouth QB is using his Big Mouth to have the back of his fellow Big Mouth WR by trashing his former team.

Is that a surprise?  Do we care?  Should we care? 

And why should we care if he "shuts up"?  Let him talk, if it distracts him from play on the field, that only helps us.  So let him yap all he wants.

We care because Mayfield and Darnold are going to be linked together for the rest of their careers unless one is great and the other sucks.

All I can say about this is Mayfield better light it up this year. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Interesting, because when I think Darnold, I think "Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson", in a very similar way as I think of "Elway, Blackledge, Kelly, Eason, O'Brian, Marino" or "Manning, Rivers, Rothlisburger, Losman, Sorgi (just kidding)".  I think about the class, not an individual, when it comes to who they should be compared against in their future careers.

I'm not worried about if Mayfield lights it up this year.  I care if Darnold lights it up this year.  Sub-3,000 yard, sub-60%, sub-25 TD seasons won't cut it going forward.  I'm very interested in seeing the greatness people project for Darnold start to show itself in production and wins.  Only thing I care about Baker is seeing Darnold out-shoot him on the field.

They are linked because the Browns passes on Darnold. Same way O'Brien and Marino were linked because the Jets passed on Marino

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Working with a worse coaching staff and less talent (most of the time) O'Brien had a winning record against Marino.  Just say'n.

I don't  know what it was but O'Brien did things against Miami he never did against any other team. 

With the way Baker is playing, I don't  think this is going to be that kind of rivalry.  Baker is looking very ordinary. 

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except we were linked to Marino because we passed on him when we had th chance to draft him and elected to pass. 

We're not linked to Baker, we didn't have a chance to draft him and did t pass on him.  If Darnold becomes Marino to Bakes O'Brien then Browns fans can cry.  Doesn't effect us in any way what Baker is or becomes.  

Just the fan boys needed to fire off as if liking a player is award worthy

It's  a story. I'm sure the media will keep it alive. 

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I one in the media is really working this story now.  

They wanted Baker, we got our guy, who we wanted. 

Media can go after Cleveland if Darnold turns into the better QB given they passed on Sam for Baker.  But we aren’t connected in any way to Baker from a Jet point of view.  That’s two different t things 

Well if you look around this forum, this was one of many of Mac screw ups not tanking correctly to get the first pick, so if Baker turns out to be the winner in the who is better contest, I am sure you will have a lot of of others you can preach this to. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No one tanks.  No one screws up.  Other than those who think we screwed it up.  Browns didn't win a single game.  

Which nitwit is complaining or willing to argue that we didn't win less than 0 games?

They had the first pick no matter what we did

I have read plenty of times we should have started Hackenberg or Petty followed by if you are going to tank, tank correctly. Never mind we would have had a player revolt.  

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We played Petty, you do understand that, right? 

Teams don't tank, dumbassed fans will argue we could have lost more than the 0-16 Browns.  You can't make this up.  

Simple math.  Can you just stop 

And who are all these clowns who still are arguing we should have tanked for Mayfield?  The QB no one had going 1

you keep telling yourself we could have drafted BM.  And stop, I'm done with this 

First off, I never wanted to tank, I want the Jets to win, always have and always will. I want to be entertained, not pissed off like I am now. I'm just repeating what I have read here. 

I just caught  Baker's post game from yesterday.  WTF is wrong with this guy, You don't  rip the refs when you blow a 2 score lead and throw three picks. Hey Baker, instead of making excuses why you didn't win, maybe you should figure out how not to lose. I hope they give this doof the biggest fine on record for talking about the refs not because he did it but because he such a total idiot.  

Cleveland,  thank you a million times for taking this guy and leaving Sam. If he was a Jet, I think I would just stop watching the team all together at this point. 

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Time to sit back and watch everyone rip Mayfield for saying he wants to keep quiet, and focus on playing well and winning football games.

Let the fun begin.... :hap:

You are setting yourself up to ridicule.  Baker is going to talk 💩 and do stupid things. Doing that isn't out of character for him, it is the real Baker. To think he is suddenly going to be Cally cool like Darnold is not reality. Personally I think Bakers way is ok as long as you back it up but as you can see, Baker couldn't  even stop himself from talking about not talking.  

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company