Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I agree but this is just OTAs... The season isn't close and this junk is already happening... Not saying I don't agree... Him sating that was basically like we are going to be great so anyone that doesn't want to be here GTFO... 

We get it... but if this little thing bothered you from the media... just wait until real rumblings start happening... thats when the true rifts in the locker room will start... or when they lose a game 50-45 and Mayfield calls out the defense. It's gonna be fun

exactly.  we have seen this first hand for years!  aren't we all sick of it?  2018 draft I had it in my head that Darnold was going #1 or #2.  was convincing myself that Mayfield would be ok.  "sure he's short, but he can play"  "sure, he's a total a$$hole, but he'll grow up"  etc.

look what happened with the idiots and Beckham.  all the talent in the world and he's gone AFTER they just gave him  a big contract LAST YEAR!  the "classy giants" with a guy assaulting a player on the field, taking a pi$$ in the endzone, saying crap about his teammates to press etc etc etc.  the giants never came close (nor were they going to) to a SB with that a$$clown on their team, and nobody was more ticked off that they got rid of him than me.

Mayfield is not there yet, but if he's already starting with this crap, talking s#$t about his former coach last year, etc.  whew.  I'll stick with boring Sam.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I was surprised by the Monken news. I really don't think Kitchens will be able to handle this HC role. 

if he's going to get it figured out, I just hope it's after week 2!!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

See @Skeptable?

Untouchable is being honest. 

Like I said, it isnt you specifically but its crystal clear that Jets fans are wishing for the Browns downfall. Proof right there. 

I actually respect untouchable here because he's the only one willing to say it. I cant hate on that if that's his position. Its the Jets fans who pretend that this isnt how they feel. 

Im a Jets fan and I want the Browns to kick ass the year. Jets fans know it and give me sh*t about it, but one thing they can never give me sh*t on is lying about how I feel. Many Jets fans are lying about their hatred for this team. Just be honest. 

I can only speak for myself, but I don't know.  Giants?  HATE.  (HAAAATE) Pats?  Hate.  Browns???  who???  to me, they are like the Jets.  if they win, they win.  God bless 'em.  who cares.  just don't win week 2.

IMO the giants had a better/similar team last 5 years with OBJ than these Browns and they did absolutely nothing.  the guy is a cancer, and no team with him will win anything.  again, just my opinion.  he needs someone like an Eli, or to a lesser extent a Darnold, to reel him in.  Darnold, like Mayfield, is so young and will not command his respect, but he's a grounded guy.  I mean for God's sake he had a 2-time SB MVP and he couldn't reel in that insanity.  LAST thing that moron OBJ needs is a youngster like Mayfield feeding into this crap.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This isnt surprising. Why? Because they won 8 games in 3 years....7 of them coming just last year from that rookie. Of course they're at a all time high in confidence when you win 1 game in 2 season Slats. 

Look at the confidence of Jets fans with Sam Darnold. 

Look, we're 3 pages in. We all know why Jets fans are even talking about this non story. 

Im not going back and forth about this. Deep down Jets fans know why they are so concerned about the Browns and Mayfield. 

Knicks fans were confident they were going to get Zion and Durant (95%!!!)

Confidence means nothing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

browns.jpg

At 1-6, I see the Browns imploding after their must-win post-bye game at Foxboro goes 39-6 Patriots.

SAR I

that 1 win better not be against the Jets!!

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im so glad we got Sam Darnold instead of Baker Mayfield and the circus atmosphere is gone from here. 

me too.  and I don't get why people on here are saying Jets fans are afraid of Mayfield, or whatever.....Josh Allen?  I get that, but Mayfield was gone.  we could not have gotten him.  end of story.

If Darnold wins a SB, Browns and Giants look like fools.  if Mayfield wins one?  ummmm why do we care?  unless Browns beat Jets in AFC Championship game, it means squat to me!  Now if Josh Allen and the Bills win one, then I can see Jets fans being pi$$ed.  A ) it's the Bills and  B ) we could have had him and took Sam instead.  But not the case with Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Williams demands accountability, publicly talks smack about Adams, no filter or BS, "coached better players", etc.  Jets Fans Rejoice.

Mayfield demands accountability, says "be here or not if you want, we the team are going forward", no filter or BS, etc. Jets Fans Proclaim Implosion.

Saturday Night Live in it's heyday couldn't write this any better.

Mayfield is 100% correct.  Want be be here, great, lets get to it!  Don't, fine, **** off and get out the way player, we got a team to lead.  He's 100% doing what Jets Fans have wanted our team and players to do for ages, ignore the bullsh*t and get to business.

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THSI organization, s either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Those utterly non-PC answers are brilliant.  Had a Jets QB said them in the same spot, this forum would literally be deifying the QB for having said it.

maybe I missed it, but I did not read about ONE Jets player coming up to Williams after he said that about Adams?  until that happens, this comparison is out the window.  sorry.

plus, Williams has been here for a LONG time.  Mayfield has been here for a cup of coffee.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<Browns beat the Jets by 40 with Mayfield throwing for five TDs>

Jets fans: At least our quarterback didn’t slander Duke Johnson four months ago. 

I like this one better:

<Jets beat Browns by 40 with Darnold throwing for five TDs>

after game, Mayfield publicly blames OBJ for dropping two passes.  OBJ barges into press conference like a human torpedo, spears Mayfield, punches him repeatedly, then gets on all fours and lifts his leg mimicking a dog pi$$ing  on #1s face!!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

2 things:

Mayfield was right

Mayfield couldn’t give a big enough f*ck what people (fans, media, teammates,  Uncle Luke (honestly who gives a sh*t what his opinion is)) think about what he says. He’s going to lead the way he leads and he’ll either soar or crash and burn but it’ll be on his terms. 

IMHO he’ll be just fine and this will not lead to an implosion. 

Geno Smith didn't give a crap either and got punched in the face by a teammate for his efforts.

been down this road before.  I'll take Darnold.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This has nothing to do with Darnold v Baker--I'll take Darnold any day every day but you can't compare who and what Geno is/did (he was a punk and tried to scam a teammate out of pocket change after embarrassing him at his hometown charity football camp for under privileged children then mocked the dude about it in front of the locker room) to who Baker is.

Baker is taking a stand about the team.

Geno took a stand over $600.

Geno is/was a punk

Baker is a punk

Darnold is not a punk

it really is as simple as that.  a punk is a punk.  now you can say what Geno did is not comparable to what Baker did, and I would agree.  But the elements are there, man.  I am just SO DONE with those types of people on my team.  that's all this is about for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I don't think there's any point in debating Darnold v Mayfield until they have a few years under their belt. 

I personally preferred Darnold throughout the process and still do now. However I always thought Baker would have a much better rookie season than him, and my preseason predictions for both of them ended up being almost 100% accurate. Baker was simply a more developed and pro ready QB. He had double the starts Darnold had in college, he's played QB longer than Darnold, and is just older than him. He also had a significantly better roster than Darnold, and (post Hue) had much better coaching. Baker was always going to have a much better season than him.

Overall Baker is the better QB now, but Darnold has a higher ceiling. If Darnold takes his huge progression from last year and builds on it then he will be the better QB. However until Darnold reaches his potential, Baker is the better QB. 

If you are a Jets fan and wanted Baker, I don't know what to tell you.  it's like asking for OBJ.  I am so sick and tired of the Jets trying to get the best player, even if he is a POS off the field.  It is not a tactic that works well for the Jets.  Sure, it seems like it works for teams like the Pats, but not us.  We finally seem to be getting away from it.

Listen, I was one of those Jets fans who was convinced Darnold was going #1.  and why wouldn't I?  almost all the "experts" were predicting it.  God knows I've watched that One Jets Drive episode "the Call" like 50 times, and when they show Baker getting picked #1 you can even hear the commentator saying "WOOOOW!!!"  And as one of those Jets fans, I was trying to convince myself Baker would be ok.  "sure he's short, but it's ok".  "sure he's a jacka$$, but he'll grow up" etc etc.  I wanted no part of the 2 Joshs and was totally prepared for him to be my QB.  So I would be a complete hypocrite to be killing him now, especially after the year he had last year.  PLUS, he was drafted #1 - Jets had no shot at him, so why would we care?  If Darnold wins 5 SBs and Mayfield wins 0, it will be the BROWNS who will be killed for passing on Sam.  If the opposite happens, means nothing; Jets will not be killed because we had no shot at him.

Now if Allen or Rosen win SBs and we do not with Sam, THAT is a completely different story!!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Reverse the teams and put Darnold on a loaded Browns team and Baker with nobody to throw to except Anderson and Herndon.  Do you think Baker still has a record?

not a chance. that's why I am so optimistic after the last 4 games last year.  For Sam to be leading ALL NFL QBs (including Mayfield) during those last 4 games, with who he had as "offensive weapons".....I mean my God.....

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/baker-mayfield-giants-fans-odell-beckham-jr/

Baker Mayfield Takes Random Shot At Giants Fans While Defending Odell Beckham Jr. During Interview, Giants Fans Fire Back On Twitter

by Jorge Alonso  22 hours ago

gettyimages-1017293674.jpg?quality=90&w=

GETTY IMAGE

This morning ESPN’s Mina Kimes released a wide-ranging interview with outspoken Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield that has plenty of people talking on the Internet.

In the interview, Mayfield randomly took a shot at Giants fans while talking about Odell Beckham’s desire to play in Cleveland.

Via ESPN

He sees the skepticism on my face and giggles. “When I want to stir the pot, I’ll click to see what [Colin] Cowherd’s said lately,” he says. In April, after the Fox Sports radio host said his sources had told him that Beckham was unhappy about being traded to the Browns, Mayfield snapped at him on Twitter: “Come to Cleveland and ask O if he actually likes it.” In April, he lashed out again when Cowherd listed some of Beckham’s off-the-field incidents, calling the host a “clown.” (Mayfield has an “incident” of his own on his record — in college, he pleaded guilty to public intoxication and disorderly conduct.)

When I ask Mayfield about the back-and-forth, he says it bothers him when people perpetuate misinformation about the wide receiver. “He’s here to work, and he wants to be surrounded by people who love him and support him and allow him to be himself,” he says. “He’s here to play in front of fans who actually care, who will actually show up to every game and pack the stadium and love him for who he is.” (Regrettably, the Browns do not play the Giants this year.)

Giants fans weren’t happy with Mayfield’s comments and fired back at him on Twitter.

Haha he just can't help himself... keeps stirring the pot... This team has disaster written all over it

God knows I HATE the giants, and especially their fans, so to a certain extent, I agree with Mayfield.  this is kind of a win-win to me.  anything negative to/about the giants is a plus, and again I feel we dodged a bullet with this guy being drafted by the Browns.  I can't even imagine if he was here and saying this crap about the giants!  it would be like Rex 2.0!  Yeah let me write a book about how the Jets will be the best NY team for the next 10 years and then the idiots win the SB the very next year.  Thanks Rex!!

I have said it on this thread many a time - nothing personal against Baker.  he was picked #1, so Jets had no shot at him, so there is no "jealousy", but man we do not need this crap.  Could you even imagine Darnold saying anything close to the things that come out of this guy's mouth?  now maybe Baker backs it up, wins a SB, etc.  fine then chirp all you want, but this whole yapping your mouth when you have done nothing is exhausting as a Jets fan, and I for one am sick of it.  Glad we have a "Derek Jeter" type who can lead by example and keep his mouth shut.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker is right about giants fans 

agree 100%.  hate 'em.  no good scum.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I get it, but there's a contingency of fans who NEED Mayfield to be bad and / or take any opportunity to bash him. which is just wasting energy IMO.  Just root for your guy.  It ain't rocket science.  If the Browns / Jets somehow become an actual rivalry, then I'll pay more attention to Mayfield.  

this.  I can understand the Browns fans hating on Darnold, because they COULD have had him; or us hating on Josh Allen for the same reason.  but makes no sense for us to hate on Mayfield - for his on field performance- because he was not available to us.  dead issue. 

now this off field crap - another story.  I'm sure a lot of Jets fans were thinking (like I was) that Sam would go #1, and that we would get Mayfield.  I know I was trying to talk myself into it:  "I know he's a total a$$hole, but he'll grow up" etc etc.  and seeing stuff like this, I think "man, we dodged a bullet!"

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, he probably would have had a disastrous rookie season with us. 

Crappy Jets roster + lame duck Bowles + Mayfield’s propensity to talk sh*t + NY media = total sh*tshow 

well yeah but even if he did the same - what did he go 7-7 during games he started?  so say he was with Jets and we went 8-8 AND he was talking all this crap?  oh man I'm getting REXingitus again....

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He wasn’t going 8-8 with the roster and coach we had last year 

well I didn't want to say that with all the Baker lovers on this forum, but I think we can all agree Baker had/has a MUCH better offense than Sam had here.  so there is NO WAY he was going to do better here than he did there.  I just gave the best case scenario, and even in that scenario (8-8) I would be cringing right now having him chirping all the time.

• Upvote 1

Giants fans really aren't that bad. At least in my experience. Always got along with them. And they beat the Pats twice. I'm a Yankee fan and will always root for the Mets (sans those 4-6 games per season) for '86 alone.

Why hate these other local teams? The only legit local beef is in the NHL. All 3 local teams in the same division. And... it's hockey. Best sport ever. I would say Knicks/Nets, but when are they ever good at the same time?

Mayfield gonna Mayfield. Great rookie season. I understand the 'swagger', what have you. They better be good this year though or they're going to get slaughtered in the press and online. 

No bigger a-hole in the world than a New York “football” giants fan. Just a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

If he was a Jet, people would be tying themselves in knots here to defend him. Such is fandom.

I can only speak for myself, but I agree.  I have mentioned this on this very thread a few times:  draft 2018, I was convinced Darnold was going #1.  I was trying to pump myself up for Baker: "yeah he's really short, but it's ok"...."yeah he's a f#$%ing a$$hole, but it's ok, he'll grow up".  As a long suffering Jets fan I am just SO SICK AND TIRED of having to defend the "bad character" guys the Jets always used to bring in here.

driving 100 mph while high, and a kid in the backseat with a friggin gun in the car....starting QB who gets punched in the face BY HIS TEAMMATE over a small amount of $$$.  etc etc etc  Just sick of it!

Is this Baker stuff the end of the world?  no.  certainly not for the Browns, but I would be in the fetal position right now if he was our QB and doing this crap.

1 minute ago, sackdance said:

Hopefully we can go 2-0 vs. Browns and Giants this season. 

Do the Giants ever play the Jets as a home game? Would have been nice to been the away squad this year.

yes, it switches each time.  they were home in 2015; they will be home again next time in 2023.

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Wow ....

Darnold had 1/4 the supporting cast of Mayfield last year.

This year will tell a lot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

exactly.  and....Mayfield only won 3 more games than Sam.  THREE!!!  not like he went to the playoffs or anything!  Texans game, Packers game, even the Browns game:  all of them Sam had the lead late in the game and the Jets "staunch D" did what we Jets fans have come accustomed to:  they blew it!  the only reason we won the Colts game was because Sam had given the D such a huge cushion.

Point is:  Jets easily could have been a 6-7 win team last year.  with THAT roster....crazy!!  If Mayfield does not make the playoffs this year with his roster.....wow

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If he was the Jets QB (and almost was) you’d be eating this up for breakfast lunch and dinner. Everyone here would. 

Let him be who he is, I say. It’s fun and nice change for the NFL and Kraft era of snootery

not me.  not a chance in hell.  you remember how Sanchez got killed for that whole GQ white t-shirt thing?  this is worse.

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Sam and Baker are diametrically opposed personalities. 

I like them both. MUCH happier that Sam is our QB and I truly believe he’ll be the better QB but Baker is fun and will be damn good. 

And I get that some folks hate Baker’s act but I think he’s entertaining AND a great QB. 

Going to be a fun 12 plus years. 

someone mentioned yesterday that WWE icon Stone Cold likes Baker.  I think if Baker was in the WWE, his act would be absolutely perfect!!!  Hell, I'd cheer for him!  and Sam?  well Sam would be so damn boring and would be run out of WWE so quickly that's for sure!

But this is the NFL, not WWE:  I don't want that crap out of my QB, no matter how good he is.  We have been down this road before too many times.  So nice to have Sam as "the face that runs the place"!!

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I can tell you theres not a 34 page thread on sam darnold on the browns board.

well of course not!!!  what could they possibly say:  "OH MY GOSH SAM DARNOLD JUST SAID 'AWW SHUCKS'!!  HE SAID 'AWW SHUCKS' GUYS!!!!"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Jet Nation's obsession with all thing Mayfield and all things Giants is bordering on clinical....

The Big Mouth QB is using his Big Mouth to have the back of his fellow Big Mouth WR by trashing his former team.

Is that a surprise?  Do we care?  Should we care? 

And why should we care if he "shuts up"?  Let him talk, if it distracts him from play on the field, that only helps us.  So let him yap all he wants.

I think the term you're looking for regarding OUR team is "dodged a bullet"

whew!!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you and I would disagree on that point, I'd have been very happy to have drafted Mayfield, and his yapping (while not my preference) is irrelevant if he backs it up on the field.

It's amazing to me that a fanbase who loved/loves Joe Namath now hated Baker Mayfield, the 2019 version of Joe Namath in terms of bravado and a big mouth.  

Unfortunately, I was not alive for Namath, but different times, man.  Namath would not have lasted in this day and age.  Sucks for these guys that they are held to such high standards, but it is what it is.

and I personally do not HATE Baker.  I was prepping myself for him to be our QB last year because all logical signs pointed to Sam going #1.  I knew he had talent, but that he was just such a jacka$$.....again, I was not alive for Namath, but what everyone talks about is "the guarantee" - that is not the same as what Baker does!  Joe said WE will win the game, etc etc.  he never said: "we will win the game because Baltimore sucks and has been overhyped; their QB can't hit the ocean from a boat" etc.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Joe was the type to talk trash about another team's #1 draft pick?

as for the "obsession" with Baker and giants:  I don't think there's an obsession with Baker.  people just talk about what's happening in the NFL.  Last night, Jimmy G had a terrible game.  there is now a thread here about that.  obsession?  Baker keeps running his mouth.  when he does, there is a thread on here.

now the midgets is a different story.  whether you like to believe it or not, we are the "little brother" to the giants.  sucks, but until the Jets start winning some SBs, you really got nothing to say to a giants fan.  and to have someone like Baker come here - as a JET - and say what he said about Daniel-sahn.....holy crap - what a mess!  Now if Baker had just won 2 SBs with the Jets, sure yap all you want, but not when you're 6-7 in your NFL career!

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

can you imagine if this a$$ clown was our strong safety with one career interception and talked too much?

again there is "talking" about yourself (i.e. Namath and Jamal - We will win SB, I guarantee it, WE need dogs, etc) and there is "talking s#$t" (i.e. baker).  when has Jamal said something like what Baker keeps doing?  going out recruiting Bell, and talking about how we need better players is not the same thing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree, in the THIS age, with today's medicine, Namath's good looks, chutzpah and charisma and arm......dear Lord, he'd be a massive star.  Maybe THE most massive star.  

A thread about Baker talking is akin to a thread about water being wet.  After a while it's like "yeah....and?"

I'm so sad for you that you see yourself, and your fandom, as somehow "lesser" than that of Giants Fans.

I am no other fan's "little brother".  I am so glad I moved away from New York before this kind of attitude could set in.

Namath:  I agree with the stuff you said, but I am referring to the lifestyle stuff.  It's like Mickey Mantle and the drinking.  wouldn't fly today.  everyone has a cell phone camera these days, everyone is so sensitive these days, etc.

YOU'RE sad???  I'M FRIGGIN' SAD!!!  listen I have said multiple times on this board that my whole family, my friends, pretty much everyone I know is a giants fan.  and they torture me!  when we had Rex and he wrote the book and proclaimed Jets would be best NY team for 10 years and then the midgets win a SB - how do you think that went over?  I didn't say that!!!  but I had to back it up...and PAY for it.  I got texts with a cartoon caption of an older brother in a giants shirt with his arm around his little brother (in a Jets shirt) and the caption read: "don't worry lil brother - we took care of those Pats for ya!"  now how do you respond to that???  

that's why I was so thrilled we got Sam.  he does things the "right" way, and he sure SEEMS to be legit on the field.  I know he's a work in progress, but he's our great hope!  and until the Jets start winning some SBs, every time I see one of my idiot friends or a family member and they hold up 4 fingers......I mean sure I can hold up my middle finger, but I sure would rather have some actual ammo!!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Saying we need better players is also saying the players we have aren't good enough.

But, that's hardly the point...

I'm not pretending that what Mayfield said isn't worse than what Jamal has said, but I'm also not pretending that it's the words, and not the jersey, that's the actual reason why what Mayfield says is bad and Adams says is good.

I disagree.  really - what has Jamal said?!?!?  I mean really....there was an article the other day about how he stayed after the green and white scrimmage till the very end to sign every last autograph!  video of it too!  Metlife is EMPTY - there are like a dozen people there and he's still signing.  the guy is a good dude!  Baker is a jerk.  and I have said if he was on the Jets, I'd be rooting for him because he's wearing a Jets uniform.  but I'd be cringing every time he opened his mouth, had a press conference, etc.

better comparison is Baker to OBJ.  and I wouldn't want that jerk on my team either.

7 minutes ago, King P said:

JN: "Giants taking Daniel Jones was a terrible pick!"

Baker Mayfield: "Giants taking Daniel Jones was a terrible pick!"

Also JN: sohWhy9.jpg

you are absolutely correct.  but we CAN say it - he absolutely CANNOT.  kind of sucks for these athletes, but if you're going to make all that $$$ playing a sport you love, unfortunately, there is a down side.  they are held to very high standards.

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'll go with "Jets played 3 games in 11 days and were on the road in Primetime on short rest, with a HC who had no clue how to adjust to a different QB for $1000, Alex"

Also,.wasn't aware Sam was playing D in that game. Crazy!

it's crazy how people seem to remember this game...I'll be the first to admit it was not Sam's best game, but even with that bad game, and Bowles being completely unprepared for Baker, as soon as Cle finally took the lead, Sam marched the Jets right down the field to take the lead back again.  but you know...Jets D....

add in Texans game and Sam could have been the youngest QB in history to lead three 4th qtr comebacks!

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company