Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

On 6/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, Untouchable said:

Pretty much 

I was on record multiple times before the ‘18 draft saying that I would take Mayfield at #6. But only provided that guys like Darnold and Rosen were gone. I even preferred Allen over him. But I still realized that we absolutely HAD to grab one of those top prospects and even though I had plenty of issues with Mayfield, I still thought that he was worthy of a 1st round pick. Not Top 10 really, but a solid prospect who admittedly possessed the accuracy that you need to be a consistent, good NFL starter.

But once we traded multiple 2nd rounders to move up to #3...I wanted dick to do with the guy. We were almost assured of Darnold or Rosen at that point.

I think Mayfield will ultimately be a Jeff Garcia type. He’ll have an 8-10 year run as a quality starter in Cleveland, make a couple of pro-bowls, be beloved by the fanbase, and then transition to being a quality backup for a few years if his ego can handle it.

Not a bust, but not the 15 year, Top 5 QB that I very much believe Darnold will end up being.

Lmao

• Confused 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, joewilly12 said:

Im so glad we got Sam Darnold instead of Baker Mayfield and the circus atmosphere is gone from here. 

Jets fans feel the need to tear down Mayfield. It makes them feel better about having Darnold when they tell themselves Baker will implode. Me? I root for Darnold because I’m a Jets fan, but I’d rather have the guy who set the rookie passing records and turned his team around.

Mayfield did what we dreamed Darnold would do last year. Let’s hope our guy can catch up.

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Except Darnold was playing with a High school level offense whereas Shorty McShortpants had actual offensive weapons and real talent around him. 

🎼Whatever gets you through the night... it’s alright, it’s alright....🎼

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

What record did that ****tard Mayfield break?  

Lol.

Touchdown passes fo r a rookie QB

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

I don't think there's any point in debating Darnold v Mayfield until they have a few years under their belt. 

I personally preferred Darnold throughout the process and still do now. However I always thought Baker would have a much better rookie season than him, and my preseason predictions for both of them ended up being almost 100% accurate. Baker was simply a more developed and pro ready QB. He had double the starts Darnold had in college, he's played QB longer than Darnold, and is just older than him. He also had a significantly better roster than Darnold, and (post Hue) had much better coaching. Baker was always going to have a much better season than him.

Overall Baker is the better QB now, but Darnold has a higher ceiling. If Darnold takes his huge progression from last year and builds on it then he will be the better QB. However until Darnold reaches his potential, Baker is the better QB. 

Actually I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s way too early.

That’s why I lmao’ed @Untouchables last two paragraphs. (all in good fun though, he’s a good poster, and I think he knows that’s  how I meant it) just read the thread though, and so many others where Mayfield and or Darnold are the topic.

You’re finally beginning to see some begrudging respect for Mayfield. The beginning of last year everyone here was killing him.  I don’t know why. He was gone when we picked. 😢

As far as Darnold, he’s spoken of here as a cross between St Francis of Assisi and Johnny Unitas, all because of feelings, 3 games, and oh yeah, “Watt said he’ll be a heckuva Pro”. Heck I think his grandmother is actually posting here as Helen of Troy.

I get it. We’re screwed if Darnold doesn’t become what we all think he can, but if he did what Mayfield did last year, we would have already put up a statue in front of Met Life.

EDIT.  I apologize @Grandy this reply was actually meant for @rammagen even though yours was very similar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

No sh*t?  

Ugh, makes me hate him even more.

He’s the Brooks Koepka of the rookie QB class of ‘18.😜

• Haha 1

Joe Namath is why I became a Jets fan in 1964. I went against my grandfather and dad, who love/d the Giants when I did. For some reason Mayfield reminds me of him.

Dan Marino is the only other player I’ve wanted the Jets to draft as much as I wanted them to take Mayfield. I was sick when the Browns took him. I think he is going to be Namath, Marino good. 😩

BTW I love his talking. He keeps backing it up. Just like some guy did for our team 50 years ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

He's getting obnoxious. 

This is me from now on in threads about Mayfield....🤐

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The point is not who draws more, the point is Baker said something that is total BS. NYG fans come out to the stadium and care deeply for the team. 

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I come from a family of Giants fans, only my brother wasn't  upset they traded OBJ and his reasoning was that this will get us back to the SB. Baker was totally talking out of his rear end

In before  @Peace Frog and @Jet_Engine1 see this and start calling you a Giants fan...😇

14 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

What a douche!

You do realize this is a staged photo shoot here right?

You know, and like how that isn’t really his pet tiger... and that isn’t his car...

Or do you just like saying “douche”?

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I am 40 years removed from being a millennial and I haven’t “adopted” the Browns as my team but I’m sick and tired of watching the Pats and Steelers and Seattle and a whole host of other teams dominate the NFL landscape. 

Looking for some new blood. 

Jets 1000%. 

Ive never had a reason to hate the Browns (other than the Gastineau game) so I’m looking forward to building a rivalry. 

Loved Sam I’m college- clearly the best college QB since Luck IMHO and Baker was my number 2 out of that draft.

So sue me.

I would NEVER root for the Browns over the Jets but if they start to beat up NE and PITT?

This 100%

Plus I’ve loved Mayfield from the day he planted the Sooner flag on the “O” at Ohio St. He’s a ball breaker, but I like that...

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

It must feel great to be a part of a group/family where everyone thinks you're an annoying irrelevant tool.

I can't imagine hanging out somewhere that people thought I was a dick.  

You put this on a tee for me, but I’m biting my lip... really hard right now!

😇

just kidding....

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thanks for hashing your position out. I think we may actually be closer to agreeing than I thought. Definitely agree that with those SBs (or maybe even without either one of them), he wouldn't get in. Of course, I think he will get in. Whether he deserves to or not will likely be a debate that is never resolved. :) 

You’re behaving way too maturely for this conversation. I think we are supposed to attack @nyjunc with personal insults because he has a opposing view then most of the others.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I think most people know how much I like Baker. Mayfield, so I’m probably biased here. But....

After his sophomore season, Darnold’s “rating” was at its peak, and he was the #1 QB prospect. His junior season was a disappointment in comparison, and he slipped to the point where Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield were all considered on par with him, there was no real consensus #1, until...

The only person who actually got to decide who should be ranked higher was Jim Dorsey, the Browns GM. He decided to break my heart and choose. Mayfield #1. That ended any discussion of who was ranked higher. The only person (and a extremely credible one) who got a chance to decide, chose Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Nothing wrong with that. At least you’re not an a$$hole about it.  

Yeah. I hate when people act that way.... 😇

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

Would you trade Darnold straight up for Mayfield? 

I know I wouldn't. 

I’d do it in a second. Most here would probably agree with you. Jets fans are mostly going to ride Darnold.

Browns fans would laugh at the thought of doing it.

It would be an interesting question though if asked to fans through out the league. I think Mayfield would still be the choice though nationally. What do you think?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's how hate works.

Haters hate. 😆🏈

I think it’s more that fans fan.

I don’t even want to get involved in discussions about Sam and Baker any more. 🙄 As far as this “trade”, I credit you for taking the high road on a subject that I said earlier would be laughed off any other NFL fan message board.

I get that this is a Jets board, and fans are loyal to their own guy, so it’s got legs here. This is the only place it does though.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I said it and I still believe it. Like most of you, I’ve been pining for a FQB since Penny and then since we whiffed on Sanchez.

Before last year, I spent the last 5-6 years watching either live or via DVR every televised game of ALL of the top QBs and of all of them, Sam’s game, size, arm talent, accuracy, demeanor most reminded me of Luck. I’m not a GM or pro scout or a published draft guru but that’s what I saw.

And I loved Baker and saw every single game he played but I preferred Sam.  

Damn. You watch a lot of football. 😜

23 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Even Stanfords’ Coach Shaw compared Sam to Andrew.  A lot of people skimmed over the part where he compares certain traits they both shared, but the media and fans ran with it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/08/22/stanford-coach-david-shaw-compares-sam-darnold-to-andrew-luck/amp/

Stanford coach David Shaw compares Sam Darnold to Andrew Luck

Any great quarterback prospect for the foreseeable future will be compared to former No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck, and USC’s Sam Darnold is the latest to get such treatment.

The latest to make that comparison? None other than the man who coached luck at Stanford, David Shaw.

Shaw told ESPN The Magazine’s Molly Knighthe sees Luck’s rare ability to anticipate throws, one of the most vital and underrated traits in a successful quarterback prospect, in the Pac-12 rival passer:

He’s the best college quarterback I’ve seen at anticipating since Andrew Luck. When you evaluate quarterbacks who can play at the next level, you’re looking for guys who can see a play before it happens and get the ball out of their hands quick. He’s the best I’ve seen in years.

Darnold took over as the Trojans starter when the team was sputtering at 1-4 last season, leading them to nine straight wins and a Rose Bowl shootout victory over Penn State.

Heading into the 2017 season, Darnold has sky-high expectations, both in the college football world and as a pro prospect, with many analysts projecting him as a potential No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

This article was from before the 2017 season. Going into that year we all wanted to “Suck for Sam”. He was thought to be the consensus #1 pick at that time.

His play that last season at USC wasn’t anywhere near what people thought it would be, and Rosen, Allen and Mayfield became thought of just as highly as Darnold going into the ‘18 Draft.

Dorsey, who is probably the best GM in the league, picked Mayfield #1 over him. Gettleman also passed on Darnold. Macc and the Jets were happy to grab him at 3, grateful he had fallen to them, or so they said.

Leading up to the draft, the rumor was the Jets hoped to get Mayfield. After they got Sam, the story became “we never thought he’d fall to us.” My feeling is they made the trade up to 3 hoping to get whichever of the 3 QBs were left on the board.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Darnold was still the #1 prospect on the majority of boards until Dorsey shocked everyone and selected Mayfield. Rosen was generally considered to be #1A, but had a late drop. Mayfield, on the other hand, had a late rise. Josh Allen was never considered higher than #3. 

The leak from the Jets' camp was that they weren't going to let Mayfield get past the #3 pick. Whether they were floating a trial balloon to gauge fan reaction at that point, as Rosen was a popular choice here, or they were sending a threat to Cleveland who were rumored at the time to be considering taking Barkley with their #1 pick and Mayfield with their #4, who knows? But the supposition was that Darnold was going to be gone in the first two picks. Either #1 overall to Cleveland, or #2 after the Browns took Barkley. I think they were legitimately surprised that Darnold fell to them, and if the Giants did like Darnold better than Barkley, they would've been deciding between Allen and Rosen. I'm sure they were pleased. 

Definitely agree the Jets we’re pleased. When they made the trade I don’t think they thought they were getting Darnold.

what the heck do I know though? I loved Mayfield, but to be honest, if I were Dorsey, I’d have taken Barkley first, then any QB with the 4th pick. I had no clue which QB would be best.

That just shows how much smarter Dorsey is then me, lol. He got Mayfield, Ward, and Chubb. That’s why I post on a message board and he GMs.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Big mouth Browns told Washington what was coming on the opening drive, but that did not slow down Baker.

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Serious?

I’ve never heard of this being done before, have you?

I mean, it’s ok, I guess, after all it’s a preseason game, but this sounds like something they’d do before a scrimmage.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure about this, but isn't this article a few months old? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember us talking about it before.

No harm though, it's a slow day, and nothing fires up the troops like a chance to pile onto Mayfield or the Giants, lol. This year we play both of them during the regular season. It'll be crazy around here those two weeks!

We've seen the Baker vs Sam movie once already. Advantage Baker.

The sequel is coming out week 2. Stay tuned. It should be fun.

Cue the Baker is 5 years older, has way more talent around him, Sam is humble and has a higher ceiling remarks from the peanut gallery.  :-({|=

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'll go with "Jets played 3 games in 11 days and were on the road in Primetime on short rest, with a HC who had no clue how to adjust to a different QB for $1000, Alex"

Also,.wasn't aware Sam was playing D in that game. Crazy!

"I'll go with the Browns were playing their 3rd game in 12 days, they had won once in what? 31 games(?) prior, and had perhaps the only HC in the league who was as clueless as Bowles, the only guy who would've started Taylor over Mayfield, for $2000 Alex... oh wait, it's the Daily Double? I'll go with everything I've got" 

...you're right about Sam not playing D that day, though. It's annoying that QBs can't do that. Maybe if Baker could've done it, the Browns could've won week 17 and made the playoffs. (That sounds kind of "Crazy" though, doesn't it?)

7 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

it's crazy how people seem to remember this game...I'll be the first to admit it was not Sam's best game, but even with that bad game, and Bowles being completely unprepared for Baker, as soon as Cle finally took the lead, Sam marched the Jets right down the field to take the lead back again.  but you know...Jets D....

add in Texans game and Sam could have been the youngest QB in history to lead three 4th qtr comebacks!

hmmm, and if the Jets defense had held their opponents to less points then the Jets scored in every game last year, Sam could've had an undefeated rookie season!!!

Damn that Kacy Rodgers and his defense!!!

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Sam has another year Under his belt  and a coaching staff that appears to be somewhat coherent. No excuses this time agreed. Let the ginger and the loudmouth fight it out. Can’t wait!! 

@nico002 I'm as far from a homer as anyone can be. I've seen way too much water pass under the bridge, lol.

That said, I think the Jets are going to come out and destroy the Browns and Mayfield on national tv that night. I'll be shocked if they don't.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I know isn't it weird?  when you don't have a bunch of a$$holes on your team, you have to go elsewhere to find something to talk about.  feels good....

This is actually a really good point. The Jets do seem to have a good group of guys on this team...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

really?  wow.  wish I had your confidence!  The Jets fan in me (you know - hope for the best, but expect the worst) does not like the first 6-7 games of our schedule....

I don't either, but I'm actually more worried about the Buffalo game in week ! then the Cleveland game. 

I think they'll be more fired up for the Monday Night stage, against a team like the Browns, then for any game this year except maybe the prime time Pats matchup.

I love Mayfield, he's my favorite player in the league, but he's going to have a figurative "target on his back" with all the expectations for him and his team this year. I think he'll end up thriving, but the Jets game has "trap" written all over it.

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

At least Brady had the decency to keep his yap shut until he actually did something in the league. This midget douchebag is a loser by his own standard and still runs his yap. Because hes a false confidence punk that has a need to validate himself. Its gonna be fun watching the dumpster fire the Browns become the millisecond they face adversity. 

Not shocked the guy voted "biggest douchebag in College Football" is your favorite player. LOL.

And your rebuttal about Baker not playing D while ignoring legit arguments is typical. LOL. Pathetic.  I know, I'm a Darnold "ball washer", right? This is a Jets fan site, if you dont like it, go back to BigBlew.com or maybe try to find a Browns Website. I hear that most of Cleveland has the interwebs nowadays. 

20190820_200924.thumb.jpg.0ea650c571b9eb7ea0791ff6fc37f809.jpg

🙄

Hmmmm, You're what? 45 years old? This reads like something written by a 12 year old.

Sad...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 1:58 AM, jetstream23 said:

This guy can’t stay out of the news...

3EBFA7CD-FAA8-41BF-8E69-B5ADBC0FAD86.thumb.jpeg.599387d4fd10d89a2e999f13bc335d77.jpeg

“If the seminal 2009 rap song “Loyal” featuring Lil Wayne and Tyga by Chris Brown has taught us anything, it’s that these hoes ain’t loyal (those are rap lyrics, not my actual opinion, please take up your grievances with Mr. Brown).

Just as people were beginning to forget the sh*t storm of a season that former #1 overall NFL Draft pick Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns had this past year, some random chick named Kacie has come out of the woodwork on Twitter to slam the former Heisman Trophy winner and University of Oklahoma star by claiming she gave him “head” in his “back seat” (again, their words, not mine, kindly direct your frustration through the proper channels).

@kaciejdingess wasn’t done there, though, as not only did she let everyone know that Mayfield blocked her on Twitter and that she apparently gave him head, but she came ready with the receipts, as she tweeted what appears to be a video of Mayfield sending her a selfie on Snapchat.

63BE6EBF-14F9-415C-BFDD-A2601ED80DE3.jpeg.0009dd1b571271f6639cbd6e0ea99334.jpeg

While this is clearly a he-said vs. she-said scenario — leaving no way to determine what’s fact and what’s fiction — one thing is certainly true: whatever it is that Mayfield did to this girl, she’s prepared to pubically drag him for it on the internet.

Mayfield and his wife Emily Wilkinson got married in July of last year, so obviously, the Browns QB is going to have some explaining to do tonight regardless of what may or may not have actually happened.

Let this be a lesson to all of you young guns out there with a girlfriend: DELETE SNAPCHAT.“

BCB2911A-AAAE-4F22-94DC-E087E063ADBB.thumb.jpeg.63f9b91b7a03cb867b456fb3d87c2ab5.jpeg

99EA68CF-4AAA-4E86-B724-E1819D256732.thumb.png.eab4668e7eb12993d8b632398fe91652.png

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

What could have been

8A33B88C-EB31-478A-B213-1C56065C650A.jpeg.dd52e9bc83cd088806b0242cf5738beb.jpeg

LMAO I was waiting for this....

I saw this story last night, and @Philc1 I swear I wanted to throw you a bone and tell you about it.

So here goes... go to BrownsBoard, they have a 15 minute video with the girl talking about this on a radio show. Then another chick calls in saying the same thing. You're gonna LOVE it...

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Pleeeeease tell me that Odell Beckham called in next! lol

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Me and Villain are in for a long day, LOL

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I saw the video thanks

Baker’s nfl career is jumping a very big shark

Meh, I don't think he's the one who comes off the worst in this one. The line starts with the girl, then the radio personalities...

Lets be honest, Baker is an NFL QB. As soon as he throws his next TD pass, all is forgotten.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Plus he can always call this chick to comfort after he gets benched permanently next season 

That's what I would do... 😜

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Listening now.

This is ridiculous stuff.  How does this dude put himself in a situation like this?!?!? lol

Drama Popcorn GIF

It's Jerry Springer level stufff….

Remember when you were his age? Then imagine you had millions in the bank, and beautiful women throwing themselves at you...

Hell, I never had the millions but it was really hard for me having the beautiful woman throwing themselves at me, so I can at least try to relate 🤔

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company