Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001035069/article/browns-david-njoku-i-want-20-touchdowns-this-year

Browns' David Njoku: 'I want 20 touchdowns this year'

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: July 3, 2019 at 09:21 a.m.

Make a list of Cleveland Browns offensive weapons.

How far down that list does David Njoku land?

It (probably) goes, Baker, Odell, Jarvis and Chubb, Kareem Hunt when not suspended, and then Njoku.

The dynamic tight end landing well down the list underscores the Browns' dynamic turnaround from previous seasons, where deficiencies on that side of the ball were deep.

Heading into his third season, the former first-round pick could be in for a leap, becoming one of the top tight ends in the NFL.

While working out with Baker Mayfield and other teammates in Los Angeles, Njoku stopped by the Rich Eisen Show Tuesday and was asked about his goals for the 2019 season.

"Honestly speaking, I don't really put numbers into my goals," Njoku told Eisen. "I just feel like if I gave everything I could to the game, just worked my hardest, I feel like I'll feel accomplished."

...Wait for it...

"With that being said, I want 20 touchdowns this year," Njoku added laughing before going back to his canned responses. "I just feel, for me, just knowing that I gave all I got will make me feel accomplished."

Sure, Njoku was mostly joking about 20 touchdowns -- though we should never chastise a professional athlete for setting the bar high. Only two players in NFL history have reached the 20-TD catch bar: Jerry Rice (22) in 1987, and Randy Moss (23) in 2007. Rob Gronkowski's 17 TDs in 2011 were the most ever for a tight end. Last season, Antonio Brown led the entire NFL with 15 TDs and Jimmy Graham led TEs with 10.

The number Njoku picked is beside the point. The broader notion the numerical utterance conjures is a discussion about whether the tight end is potentially primed for a big season.

Still just 22 years old, Njoku owns the ideal combination of size at 6-foot-4, 246 pounds, and athleticism to become a dominant tight end force, if he can become consistent in all facets. Last season, he showed flashes of being a potential difference-making target for Mayfield, who can take advantage of mismatches over the middle, flying past linebackers and bullying safeties. His 639 yards and four TDs on 56 receptions showed promise, but the ceiling could be much higher.

Improved route-running from Year 1 to Year 2 was evident on Njoku's film, and while he wasn't the best blocker for his position, he got noticeably better. Taking those strides to another level in Year 3 will determine how high Njoku's leap can be.

The talent is there for Njoku. One big question is whether there will be enough pigskin to go around. With Mayfield needing to feed Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, keep the RBs happy, etc. Njoku's numbers might be suppressed more than if he were playing in an offense devoid of such talents.

The TE himself noted how stacked the offense is heading into 2019.

"We got Odell, Jarvis, (Antonio) Callaway, (Rashard) 'Hollywood' Higgins, me, Kareem Hunt, Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson, Baker Mayfield. That's just the offense," Njoku said. "The defense is completely stacked too."

Perhaps too stacked for Njoku to generate close to 20 TDs, but in Cleveland that's a good thing.

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nobody is salty over Baker Mayfield... Most Jet fans couldn't care less what Mayfield says or does.

That said:

You don't publicly trash a teammate over money. Bad form.

And whether you agree or disagree you have drawn a line in the sand, this eventually leads to people joining 1 side or the other. This creates division, when there didn't need to be any.

IMO, this is the beginning of a fracture. Just a slight crack, surface stuff really but what happens when something down the line creates more tensions and Baker draws another line in the sand.... More fractures.

It's coming, its just a matter of when. 

Bingo.  Duke Johnson's days appear numbered on the Browns, so its unlikely people are going to choose that hill to die on when it comes to Mayfield.  But when he starts going after entrenched guys like OBJ, Landry, any of his starting O-Linemen, etc, that's when things will get very messy. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s like he has a pathological compulsion to convince everyone that they are wrong even though he’s completely wrong.

That sums up his entire posting history. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah but in this case he’s not wrong. Manning will get in and he will be the worst player to ever be inducted into the hall of fame.

I don't think that's junc's argument though.  I think he not only thinks he shouldn't be a HOFer, he thinks he was a terrible QB.  Even when junc is kind of right, he's still wrong. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

HOF. Eli never missing a game will help his odds.

What about that time he got benched for the guy who can't tell time?

• Haha 3

Just now, kdels62 said:

Eli was a mediocre QB his whole career except maybe 2 years where he was maybe top 10. He shouldn’t be a HOFer except he will be because the way we evaluate is flawed. 

I don’t see where Junc says Eli sucks but he’s right in that there’s no argument that Eli is not as good as Rivers or his contemporaries that will be in the Hall of Fame. 

Except I don't think anyone is arguing that Eli was better than Phillip Rivers.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Yeah, I think Eli is terribly overrated, and has had one of the more lucky careers of all time in terms of his numbers and his SB wins/MVP's, but you can't say he's a terrible QB, or even a bad one. He was a decent QB who did what he had to do, and no better. If you look at his years between Plaxico and ODBJ, they were not good at all. He was not the QB who could elevate a mediocre team, and needed a great team and great defense around him to win, but its also not fair to say he was bad. 

I'd say he elevated his team's play for those 2 Super Bowl runs.  Beating the Patriots in a Super Bowl is not easy.  Doing it 2x is almost impossible.  Doing it 2x with one of them coming against an 18-0 Patriots team makes him a hero. 

Even if he sucked for most of the rest of his career, he has that.  He's basically Joe Flacco except he had 2 magical postseason runs instead of 1.

Eli's playoff numbers:

• 8-4 record
  • 18/9 TD:INT ratio
  • 2 Super Bowls in 6 appearances
  • 2011 run:  9 TD, 1 INT, 103.3 QB Rating
  • 2007 run:  6 TD, 1 INT, 95.7 QB Rating
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There’s a good debate to be had about whether or not, Rivers (consistently a top QB) is more deserving of HOF consideration than Eli (mostly average but lucky). I just don’t think this message board is the place for it right now, everyone seems wound up and stir crazy.

Also Mayfield  

Rivers belongs in the Hall for sure.  374 TD's to just 178 INT's.  118-90 career record, including 3 seasons with 12+ wins (his latest at the age of 37).  8th all-time in passing yardage, with the 7 ahead of him either in the HOF or headed there (Brees, Peyton, Favre, Brady, Marino, Roethlisberger, Eli).  6th all-time in TD's, and he's only 46 away from tying Marino for 5th. 

Rivers is in. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Also you’re agreeing with Jet Nut... think about that.

Regarding what?  I don't read his posts. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I dont care how many points he was leading his offense to. He went on two runs where he won 3 playoff games and beat the Patriots.  

4 playoff games.  Both times they were the Wild Card and had to win all 4 on the road/neutral. 

Considering that Junc still talks about Mark Sanchez winning 4 road playoff games, you would think he'd be putting Eli on a pedestal for winning 6 on the road plus 2 on a neutral field. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I can say this.  As a fan, I was terrified of warren moon carving us up.  I never, ever felt that way about facing Eli.  That speaks volumes to me.

We only faced Eli once every 4 years, unless you count the Snoopy Bowls....

And even if you weren't afraid of the Eli-led Giants, his team certainly destroyed our playoff chances in Week 16 of 2011 en route to winning the Super Bowl that year.  Remember Eli to Victor Cruz for 99 yards?  Not fun. 

They also beat us in 2007, the other season the Eli-led Giants won the Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Yet folks will jump your sh*t if you say Curtis was a compiler. 

That dude hates Namath and one of his arguments is he had no longevity due to injuries. 

Its funny how personally he takes this and how much wrong research he puts into it. As if useless stats will sway anyone. 

He also thinks Peyton was carried by his teams. All of them. Undeniably greatest regular season QB ever but he was “carried”. 

Cant wait for the “stats”. 

No one moves the goalposts more often than nyjunc.  Then he states he won the argument because no one proved his inane stances wrong. 

I think he is trolling.
I mean really. Eli will finish with 60,000 yards and 400 TDs, 2 rings.
Is that something no talent bums can do?
Has anyone with these type #s ever not been let in??

If junc really is just a troll, he’s a genius on the level of Andy Kauffman. Because he does this stuff every day on this board. Who would do that to be a troll unless he had a long-term play to make everyone lose their minds?

In reality he’s a sad man who thinks he’s really smart and also obsesses about a basketball team for a school he didn’t attend.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JuncSanchize said:

"Eli shouldn't even be in the discussion but I can't stop discussing it"

Great username!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I guess you agree with cock grabbing

Who doesn't?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'm guessing, JF80, that this is your mod application... ? 

Max already PM'd me with an offer. 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

left handed or right?

Makes a big difference, you know.

Feels like a different person entirely when its the non-dominant hand.  Kind of makes it fun. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I can tell you theres not a 34 page thread on sam darnold on the browns board.

There will be if Darnold starts out-performing Darnold and/or Mayfield's personality implodes the team.  But as long as Mayfield produces, Darnold won't even be a consideration. 

• Upvote 1

Adam Schein ranks the Browns as the # 7 Offense for 2019: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039716/article/nfls-top-nine-offenses-for-2019-season-falcons-own-no-1-spot

NFL's top nine offenses for 2019 season: Falcons own No. 1 spot

• 0ap1000000053195.jpg
  • By Adam Schein
  • NFL.com Columnist
  • Published: Aug. 8, 2019 at 02:08 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 8, 2019 at 03:58 p.m.

Offensive football is in a beautiful state in 2019. The NFL has clearly taken to the air, as high-flying attacks dot the league landscape, but the ground game remains quite relevant, with dynamic runners coming in the form of quarterbacks, running backs and even jet-sweeping wide receivers.

Last season, the four highest-scoring teams -- the Kansas City Chiefs (35.3 ppg), Los Angeles Rams (32.9), New Orleans Saints (31.5) and New England Patriots (27.2) -- were the last four teams standing on Championship Sunday.

So, yeah, at the moment, offense is king. But which offense will be the king of kings in 2019? Here is my preseason ranking of the top units, Schein Nine style:

1) Atlanta Falcons

Steve Sarkisian is no longer calling the plays, and that's a good thing. The return of Dirk Koetter makes it even better.

Matt Ryan remains one of the more strangely overlooked superstar quarterbacks in the NFL. Since 2010, the season in which Ryan nabbed his first of four Pro Bowl bids, the Falcons signal-caller ranks top five in passing yards (second), passing touchdowns (fifth), wins (fifth), fourth-quarter comebacks (second) and game-winning drives (third). He earned league MVP honors during a prolific 2016 campaign -- and actually posted comparable numbers last season, but didn't get the credit he deserved because the Falcons didn't win enough games (thanks, largely, to an injury-riddled defense that couldn't stop anyone).

One problem Ryan did encounter last season: constant pressure, as evidenced by the QB taking 42 sacks, the second-highest total of his career. General manager Thomas Dimitroff wisely went right at this issue, selecting a pair of offensive linemen in the first round of April's draft: OG Chris Lindstrom and OT Kaleb McGary. While McGary recently underwent a minimally invasive heart procedure, he's back with the team and Falcons coach Dan Quinn says doctors are "pleased" with the hulking OT's progress. Meanwhile, Lindstrom's running with the 1s, and the athletic blocker's turning heads in the process. If Ryan gets solid protection in 2019, watch out -- especially given all the weapons the QB has at his disposal ...

Is there a better receiving trio in the NFL today than Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley and Mohamed Sanu? Jones just became the first player in NFL history to log five straight seasons of 1,400-plus receiving yards, while Ridley scored 10 touchdowns in his rookie campaign. Sanu's the jack of all trades, an ideal WR3 who can get the tough yards, make the crucial block -- and even throw the key pass. Devonta Freeman, the highly paid running back who's missed 16 games over the past two seasons, is healthy again, having participated in the entire offseason program. This is no small thing: In his last two healthy campaigns of 2015 and '16, Freeman averaged 1,068 rushing yards, 64 catches and 14 total touchdowns, making the Pro Bowl in each season. Lastly, 24-year-old tight end Austin Hooper is fresh off his first Pro Bowl season.

Bottom line: This offense is poised to reach new heights in the coming months.

2) Kansas City Chiefs

Patrick Mahomes is a megastar who's just scratching the surface of his potential. Scary. In his first year as an NFL starter, the guy earned MVP honors after becoming just the second player in league history (joining Peyton Manning) to pass for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns in a single season. Somehow, I still think we don't realize just how ridiculous that is.

What will ace play-caller Andy Reid and Mahomes cook up for an encore this fall? A whole bunch more points. The Chiefs boast the league's premier home-run hitter (Tyreek Hill) and the best tight end in football (Travis Kelce). Also, when healthy, Sammy Watkins remains a dangerous WR2. The one big question mark exists in the backfield, but Reid continues to express extreme confidence in Damien Williams. For what it's worth, Williams' production over K.C.'s two playoff games was pretty darn impressive: 159 rushing yards, 91 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

3) Los Angeles Rams

Here's what I'm banking on: Sean McVay's play calling and overall offensive acumen are special. Yes, NFL defenses appeared to kind of figure out how to handle McVay's scheme as the season went on, with the Rams scoring a season-low three points in the Super Bowl. But you don't think the 33-year-old wunderkind coach is coming up with a counter to the counter?

Not to mention, McVay's attack revolved around "11" personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR), and Cooper Kupp's season-ending knee injury in Week 10 took away a crucial component from this scheme. Kupp's back in action and on pace to be ready for Week 1. This is huge for QB Jared Goff, who undoubtedly missed his security blanket down the stretch last season. I really do like -- and still believe in -- Goff, especially in McVay's offense.

The "yeah, but" with this offense is obviously Todd Gurley's knee, with his trainer confirming in the offseason that there's an "arthritic component" to the highly discussed body part. Now, I did love the third-round selection of Darrell Henderson, an explosive one-cut back who's ideally suited to play in this offense. He's no Gurley, but he's a weapon. And if Gurley is Gurley again, well, this ranking might be too low.

4) Los Angeles Chargers

Philip Rivers is a Hall of Famer playing at a Hall of Fame level. At age 37, he still has the ability to routinely take over games. And his mastery of the position (SEE: savvy pre-snap work, quick decision-making) helps the Bolts overcome an offensive line that is less than optimal.

Keenan Allen is a legit star, with that pesky injury bug in the rearview mirror. Over the past two seasons, Allen's played in all 32 games, piling up 199 catches for 2,589 yards and 12 touchdowns. His running mate at receiver, Mike Williams, is poised for a breakout season -- if he didn't already have one last year, when he hauled in 10 touchdown grabs. Tight end Hunter Henry's over a year removed from the torn ACL that wiped out his 2018 season. I expect the 24-year-old to deliver on the promise so many have talked up.

Even if current holdout Melvin Gordon doesn't play a down in 2019, Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson will be able to step in and get the job done.

5) New Orleans Saints

I'd argue that Drew Brees and Michael Thomas comprise the top quarterback-receiver combo in the game today. Thomas rightfully got PAID last month, as the Ohio State product's been a pass-catching machine since he stepped on the NFL gridiron in 2016. He just paced the NFL with 125 catches, and did so on only 147 targets -- meaning he posted an absurd 85 percent catch rate. Like I said, Brees to Thomas is the best connection going.

Alvin Kamara is absolutely breathtaking -- a slippery runner with stellar pass-catching ability and a nose for the end zone (SEE: 31 total touchdowns in two NFL seasons). While losing Mark Ingram hurts, you could do much worse than Latavius Murray at RB2. And don't sleep on the Jared Cook pickup at tight end.

The offensive line's rock solid, especially if second-round pick Erik McCoy can shore up the pivot.

6) Green Bay Packers

Aaron Rodgers is heathy, and that means the most talented quarterback in NFL history is ready to dominate. The Rodgers-Davante Adams connection is real and spectacular. And I get the sense that, under new head coach Matt LaFleur, Aaron Jones' backfield ability will finally be maximized. The dude has averaged a robust 5.5 yards per carry in each of his first two NFL seasons. Keep feeding him the rock!

Up front, David Bakhtiari remains criminally underrated -- he's one of the game's very best left tackles. And right tackle Bryan Bulaga's no slouch, either.

Did I mention Rodgers is healthy?

7) Cleveland Browns

Baker Mayfield just set a rookie record for touchdown passes (27) and he's going to the next level this year with Odell Beckham Jr. in the fold. OBJ and Jarvis Landry, close friends and former LSU teammates, could become the elite receiver combination. Hyper-athletic tight end David Njoku showed flashes of greatness last season, and could be a monster over the middle in 2019.

While GM John Dorsey traded disgruntled pass-catching RB Duke Johnson to Houston on Thursday, the backfield's far from bare in Cleveland. Nick Chubb proved to be one of the league's most effective backs last season once the Browns stopped messing around with Carlos Hyde, and he'll be flanked by all-around playmaker Kareem Hunt in the second half of the season (after Hunt's eight-game suspension is served).

Rookie head coach Freddie Kitchens showed plenty of promise as a play caller once he took over the reins last season -- and the pieces are there for him to flourish in Year 1 in the big chair.

8 ) Philadelphia Eagles

Carson Wentz is healthy and he's going to get back to the MVP form we saw before he ripped up his knee two Decembers ago. GM Howie Roseman has given Wentz the most talent he's ever had around him. DeSean Jackson is going to fly and perfectly complement big-bodied playmaker Alshon Jeffery. The tight end duo of Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert is highly versatile and devastatingly effective. And I expect second-round pick J.J. Arcega-Whiteside to provide immediate returns as a jump-ball specialist. In the backfield, rookie Miles Sanders is going to star, with Jordan Howard leading a capable cavalcade of additional options at RB.

The offensive line should, once again, be among the NFL's best. Even if LT Jason Peters begins to show signs of aging at 37, Philly scooped up Andre Dillard as the ultimate insurance (and future blind-side starter) in Round 1. I love this offense.

9) Indianapolis Colts

Andrew Luck hasn't practiced due to a nagging calf injury. I'm a little spooked, but not going to hot take it ... yet. Let's assume Luck is healthy for the regular season; he's an MVP candidate. His rapport with T.Y. Hilton is remarkable, and GM Chris Ballard added more passing-game weapons in free agency (Devin Funchess) and the draft (Parris Campbell). Also, Deon Cain could be a name to watch. After missing his entire rookie season with a torn ACL, the second-year pro continues to generate a ton of buzz.

The line performed spectacularly last season, with Quenton Nelson leading the way. Only entering Year 2, Nelson's already the best guard in the NFL. He makes this group go.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

He's not wrong....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041212/article/mayfield-people-want-browns-to-lose-because-of-hype

Mayfield: People want Browns to lose because of hype

0ap1000000236552.jpg

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 14, 2019 at 09:07 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 14, 2019 at 09:27 a.m.

The Cleveland Browns pulled a tire-screeching U-turn, going from laughingstock to hyped Super Bowlcontender in an offseason.

The unique flip has players going from digging themselves out from the avalanche of refuse, to contending with the pressure of expectations that seem to rise with each week. There was no middle ground in Cleveland.

In an interview with Complex Sports, quarterback Baker Mayfield said the Browns will deal with the expectations the same as they did last year.

"I'd say the chatter doesn't matter," Mayfield said. "The expectations for us within the locker room last year were higher than what we accomplished. Outside the locker room, people threw us in the trash before the season. They didn't expect much out of us just because, the year before that, [the] Browns were 0-16. So, you know, you can only go up from there. And I think now we need to have the same mentality. It stays within that locker room."

Mayfield said the growing expectations don't add any on-field pressure but stem from those in the media who want to see him, and the Browns, lose.

"You've got to believe in it and take it one week at a time. Because I wouldn't say that everybody wants to beat us," he said. "I think in the media and everything that comes with the hype around our team right now, people want to see us lose, just because the hype is so real. But we've got to go out there and take it one week at a time. We're trying to win every week."

Mayfield added: "It went from having excitement over Bud Light coolers being opened to now people waiting to see us lose so they can say, 'Oh, they got too hyped up.' That's why you've got to have an even-keel mindset when it comes to that stuff.''

Mayfield playing the 'us against the world card' came out earlier than expected.

Sure, a few aging critics who have consciously picked a fight with the quarterback because it's good for ratings might be rooting for the Browns to fail. Perhaps those in Baltimore or Pittsburgh hope to keep Cleveland under its thumb. The majority of people outside those realms, including in the media, aren't in that boat. Anyone who knows someone who is a Cleveland football fan wants the Browns to succeed. A person from a city whose sports team has been dreadful for decades wants the Browns to be good, if only because it might open the possibility that it could be their team turning it around one day. NFL Network was at Browns' camp seemingly every other day during Inside Training Camp Livewith nothing but glowing praise for Mayfield, Myles Garrett and others -- signaling that Cleveland being good is good for business.

Athletes need to steel themselves against the vocal minority, which leads to comments like Mayfield's -- I get that -- but most people aren't rooting for the Browns to fail. A drastic turnaround behind a rising star QB, a WR traded away by his former high-profile team, a first-time coach, a defense that on any other squad would be the hyped band, would be a story for the decade. People love good stories.

A few might caution that the hype could spiral out of control, but right now they are the minority.

If Mayfield chooses to focus on the few to provide some type of motivation, that's his prerogative. The rest of us can block out the noise and enjoy the coming show.

https://www.nfl.com/news/baker-mayfield-browns-time-to-do-our-thing-instead-of-talking-about-it

Mayfield: Browns' time 'to do our thing instead of talking about it'

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Baker Mayfield spoke for the first time this offseason Wednesday, and it wasn't by mistake.

Mayfield has intentionally remained quiet in the months following the most disappointing Browns season in over a decade. None of these Browns are prancing about and asking for attention during this offseason, an approach that would've been likely even if the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic didn't happen.

They're still busy getting the bitter taste of humble pie out of their mouths.

"Everybody that has been interviewed on our team has kind of hit the nail on the head over and over about, it's time to work," Mayfield told reporters Wednesday. "It's time to do our thing instead of talking about it.

"I guess this is the first media thing I've done just because there's no need to be talking about it, it's just time to go do it. And right now it's kind of moving in silence, which is fine with me. That's how I used to do it before getting on a bigger stage, so I'm happy to get back to those roots, and like I said earlier, get back to the fundamentals to where I can accomplish the goals for when the season comes around."

About this time last year, all the Browns did was talk. There was Mayfield's interview with ESPN, including accompanying photos of the quarterback leading a pack of dogs on leashes, and his photoshoot with a tiger. There was Damarious Randall's bold proclamation that those Browns were good enough to go from just talking playoffs to talking Super Bowl. There was even the receiving duo of Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated, which proclaimed the Browns were "back".

The Browns' media day meetings featured visits from all three major networks carrying NFL football, with each outlet occupying space in or near the team's Berea headquarters for production shoots and the like. It was a media madhouse for a team that typically doesn't get visited by more than one of the outlets, let alone three. A lot of what was shot by the in-house media team on that day was never used (or at least used often), as the team fell incredibly short of its expectations. Visions of touchdown dances and euphoric seas of orange and brown never came to life.

In a few short months, the Browns went from lovable losers to a promising bunch to a team about which most of the country was tired of hearing. When they faltered, the rest of the league reveled in their failure. The Browns had no one but themselves to blame for the negative noise, either -- they'd repeatedly asked for the attention.

They're doing the opposite this time around, focusing instead on installing and learning new coach Kevin Stefanski's offense (under the direction of offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt), getting healthy and preparing to take a measured, consistent and hopefully productive approach to the 2020 season. Some analysts have wisely pointed out that folks shouldn't forget about the Browns just because they went down in a ball of flames last season; they're still just as talented, if not more. It's just they aren't leading the A block of programming on major sports networks this time around.

It sounds as if Mayfield, the quarterback whose confidence sometimes borders on cocky, prefers to stay out of the spotlight. He has a new reason to believe doubters again exist. He needn't look further than the Browns' schedule -- and to their division rivals in Maryland.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Time to sit back and watch everyone rip Mayfield for saying he wants to keep quiet, and focus on playing well and winning football games.

Let the fun begin.... :hap:

Only took him 7 years of saying and doing endlessly stupid things in college and the pros to finally recognize this.  

Let's see how well he sticks to this script when the team opens up with a Week 1 blowout loss against the Ravens.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

If it comes down to Baker or Stefanski in Cleveland "say goodbye to your little friend..."

Not if we get more of 2019 Baker as opposed to 2018 Baker.  QBs can only kill off coaches if they're worth their salt.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

I actually liked his game in college, i never thought of him as a potential bust. Then again, i get the impression that he's a 'good when the goings good' type of quarterback. What if its not good? All the media appearances and commercials are great, but how's he gonna keep everyone happy? If you allow them to build you up, you allow them to knock you down.

And its not just his personality potentially getting in the way when the chips are down.  It's a lack of experience in dealing with adversity.  In the Big 12, the chips were hardly EVER down because of how weak the defenses were.  Mayfield is facing adversity for the first time in his playing career.  

Hence why that Georgia player was yelling "Humble yourself!" at Baker after the Bulldogs beat the Sooners in the 2018 Rose Bowl.  And yes, while that was a high scoring affair (54-48), Mayfield had a very pedestrian day (23/35, 287 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT).  Oklahoma's ground game (242 rushing yards, 2 TDs) carried the day for OU.  

17 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Yeah look despite what I think of him personally I think he has talent.  I just don’t know how consistent he can be or his overall ceiling.  Obviously he was a couple years older and had more college experience than the other QBs in that draft but I’m not sure is he is a finished product at this point.  I do think last year was very telling considering all the talent he had around him and still took a big step back 

Considering that most talented young QB's take a step FORWARD in year 2, that had to be a major concern if you're a Browns fan.  If they get more of the same in year 3, it's already time to start thinking about replacing him.  

• Upvote 3

This is the post I was responding to.... I'll let you (along with [mention=5406]Jetsfan80[/mention]who happens to live 50 miles away from me, works at the nearby University, and married a local girl) and the other guys who upvoted your above post, just feel secure in the fact that it's the one you agree with.  

Please don’t lump Wilmington in with Myrtle Beach, thanks. I didn’t go to or work at the “nearby university”, which in your case would be Coastal Carolina. IE a safety school, academically (though they have a nice campus and great athletics). The only reason I ever visit Myrtle Beach is to see a show at the House of Blues.

And the girl I married is from Raleigh, originally.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I have a house, my house has a kitchen. That's were the magic happens. 

"Wait for it to cool, you're gonna burn yourself...."

"OWWW!!!!!"

"....Again....."

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

who said anything about money? not me.

36 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

no one mentioned money, I didn't.

You posted a link showing how much homes go for in Pasadena compared to Myrtle Beach....

28 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

then what do you call what happens in the bathroom?

The denouement.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

So has this thread turned into some sort of competition to see who can exhibit the most comparable douchebaggery to Mayfield?

It's a tight race.

Condescending elitist with 3 BMWs vs guy who grabs crotch and takes pictures with tigers.  Tough call.  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company