Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

10 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Baker’s a Texas boy, through and through.  They do everything bigger in Texas.

The ironing.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

He gets in for the two Super Bowls, and that's it. Without those championships, he's basically been an average QB. Rivers has been a better QB, but without the championships, he doesn't get in, IMHO. 

I’ve been hearing and seeing a lot of HoF talk for Rivers this offseason across media outlets, and it bothers me.

At no time did he ever scare me, nor was he ever the best in the league. He doesn’t have any individual records, and hasn’t even sniffed a super bowl. The numbers he’s compiled look nice overall, until you realize that Stafford has also compiled big numbers simple because of the era and style that they play in. Combine that with the fact that Rivers had some of the most talented teams in the 00s and doesn’t even have a single conference championship to show for them, and it really puts a damper on his career. He’s certainly a great QB, but he’s not HoF exceptional.

Side note: Rivers and Matt Ryan are the two QBs who people have seemed to love for years but I’ve never had any confidence in. I can’t remember a single time I picked either of them to win a big playoff game. Even in the SB when Ryan played a strong first half, I kept worrying that he’d find a way to f it up. Sure enough much to every Jets fans chagrin, he came through on that front. The WC game against Rivers in Rex’s first year was the only Jets playoff game that I remember enjoying without trepidation just because I was so confident in Rivers’ ability to play down in big moments. These are not traits that are worthy of the HoF.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd take a modern day Plunkett over Rivers. I remember dreaming about Vinny Testaderde being our Jim Plunkett. Big difference is that Eli won his first championship in his 20's for the team that drafted him, not at 33 on his third team. 

I get that Rivers has dramatically better numbers than Eli. But, yes, I'd put Eli ahead of Rivers for HoF contention based on the rings. Rivers hasn't elevated his team to that level, and has mostly been a part of <10 win teams over his career, despite his impressive statistics. 

We’re on the same wavelength here too.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Rivers is 7th all time in AY/A and and 8th in passer rating, and is going to end his career in the top five for yards and TDs. Klecko not being in the Hall is a travesty, but come on.

It’s impressive, but it’s also important to note the era he’s in (as evidenced by the current top 20 in AY/A) as well as the fact that a lot of his best numbers came when he was playing with 2 sure-fire HoF weaponzzzz.

C9572C03-293F-4856-8C3D-0A8B3E39AAD5.thumb.jpeg.8bf0cd8c67ce849daa8ba024f7a9c65c.jpeg

Ultimately, I can’t get over the fact that for most of his career, he’s had great HoF teammates, a qualified offense-minded coaching staff, is extremely talented in his own right, yet over a 15 year career to date is sub .500 in only in 11 playoff games and 0 SBs.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Eli Manning is a HOF quarterback.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I keep seeing people tell me Eli is a HOFer, I have yet to see anyone make a case for why Eli is one of the greatest QBs of all time.

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

30 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

you guys are more interested in Baker than I am.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Can we get back to why Baker Mayfield is so freaking awesome and was by far the best QB drafted last year and is currently destroying all the haters? 

Since Mayfield has yet to be shown on the NFL top 100 it's now a lock that he's within the top 50. Let's see if he makes the top 40.

Eli will go to the HOF, so let's talk about year two of Mayfield's epic career that will see him take the torch from Brady.

👍😎

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

On the one hand Mayfield has better stats and has won more games, but on the other hand Darnold plays for the Jets, so whose to say which one is better

On the other other hand, they’ve both played less than 16 games, so let’s argue hyperboles for 29 pages!

8 minutes ago, slats said:

After one year of starting at the college level, Darnold entered his second season as the presumptive #1 pick in the NFL draft the following year. After Mayfield's first season as a college starter, not even @Villain The Foe was talking about his potential draft position. 

Mayfield had nearly twice the college starting experience that Darnold had. In addition to that, Sam was a high school LB turned QB. The fact that Mayfield hit the ground running is not surprising. What is surprising is that Darnold led the entire NFL in QBR (including the great Mayfield), throwing to a depleted receiving corps with his top two RBs sidelined over the last month of the season. Kid's a fast learner, and (was it you that said) probably a lot further from his ceiling than Mayfield is. 

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good memory.  I did, and I still think so.  (Again, Mayfield being closer to his ceiling wasn't a height joke either. :P )

Agreed, and that's why I don't get what's so contentious about this whole thing. I remember going back and forth with VTF a little bit before the draft even took place saying that Baker will 100% be the better QB year 1. That he went out and did that, while also being surrounded by better talent and coaching is not up for debate, nor should it be discounted. That's who Baker was supposed to be.

Now, talking about a 15 year career? Darnold was always the higher ceiling guy, while Baker was always the higher floor guy. In one of our discussions, I even said that I can see Baker having a Jeff Garcia type of career....a couple of pro-bowls and will stick around in the league as a solid QB. I believe Villain agreed with this too. But as I said back then too, I want more from my FQB and the third overall pick. As of right now, you couldn't pay me to trade Sam for Baker, even with how well Baker played year 1.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I absolutely did agree. 

Why? My comparison of Mayfield was a Rich man's Jeff Garcia. 

Getting that with theb1st overall pick is great. That's QB talent you can win a SB with, and Ineas content with that.

What I didnt agree with (generally) was this notion that Darnold was the best talent to come out of college since Andrew Luck. 

I never seen this level of talent at anytime from Darnold. I've just not seen it.

And i believe the only reason why folks claim a higher ceiling for Darnold is because he has alot higher to go just to be on Mayfield's level. 

Its just wordplay imo. 

I haven't seen that anywhere. I've seen Darnold described as: "Raw talent in spades" and "Top 10 potential" but never seen anything comparing him to Luck. I feel like if the Andrew Luck comparisons were a legit thing (as opposed to maybe one or two people saying it on twitter), it'd have more legs.

Luck was the most hyped QB to come out since Peyton who was the most hyped since Elway. All three were hyped because of a combination of talent, pro-readiness, and elite potential. Sam was hardly considered a day 1 starter, even though he eventually became one. I think the general consensus was that he'd have a higher ceiling whereas Baker was the more ready QB with the higher floor.

Again, this is exactly what we've seen play out so far, and everything's on schedule as of now, which is why I wouldn't trade Sam for Baker. Now we need to see Sam take the mystical second year leap.

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here are the videos. 

The first was from Samuel Gold released February 2018 before the draft. 8:50 mark.

This is the video that I believe started it. 

The 2nd was during the preseason right before week 1 began last year from Brett Kollman. 9:50 mark

I've seen it other places as well, but the point is made. 

I've seen folks reiterate this type of comparison, but to be honest, looking at Sam at USC I didnt see anything resembling what Luck was doing out in Stanford in terms of just clear as day future HOF player that's not even in the pros

Ok you’re right those are a few instances, but at the same time, it’s a couple of youtubers. I was more referring to the same people who called Luck the greatest prospect since Peyton...the so called “experts”. I didn’t see them comparing Sam to Luck. 

My original point was that in general, Sam was generally considered to have the higher ceiling while Baker was considered to be the higher floor. Thus, the contentious nature of this thread makes no sense. The two are progressing just as I expected, and I’m expecting Sam to take the next step this year, which is why I wouldn’t trade Sam for Baker.

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I read it all over the place.  Sam and Andrew are two different QBs.

Seeing how Andrew’s career has gone thus far, I hope Sam’s is better. Luck has immeasurable talent and I love the guy, but he’s always hurt. Sure, his Owner, GM, and HC have sucked for most of his career, but I expected more by now.

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Doubt it. 

Sure, Jets fans first. Then, next up, USC fans of 30 other NFL teams. Then all the people -and there were a ton of them- who had Sam rated higher than Baker Mayfield on their own personal draft boards and would love to be proven right. I imagine wherever this discussion pops up, there are people available for both sides. 

Plus the people who - right or wrong- hate everything that comes with Baker. There are lots of them.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Jet Nut said:

Baker Mayfield rips Giants' selection of Daniel Jones: 'Blows my mind'

It appears as if a little of Odell Beckham Jr. is rubbing off on Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, who recently took an unprovoked shot at the New York Giants and rookie quarterback Daniel Jones.

While sitting down with GQ Magazine, Mayfield happened to catch a spot on SportsCenter about the Giants and Jones, which interrupted the questioning and led to some faulty criticism.

“I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones. It blows my mind,” Mayfield said. “Some people overthink it. That’s where people go wrong. They forget you’ve gotta win.”

Mayfield was speaking of Jones’ 17-19 record at Duke, which was hindered greatly by the lack of NFL quality talent around him. It by no means defines Jones as a player — which has been evident this summer — but clearly Mayfield needed to get his shots in.

The irony, of course, is that Mayfield is a “loser” at the NFL level with a 6-7 record, while his newest receiver has done nothing but lose since entering the NFL (save for 2016, which was an anomaly that ended with Beckham’s worst career game and a punched hole in the Lambeau Field wall).

But Mayfield is clearly feeling himself. Despite a recent history of failure, the Browns are riding high this year as the hype train is already off the tracks. However, why that makes Mayfield comfortable enough to stick his nose in another man’s business and rip a kid he doesn’t even know is unclear — sometimes arrogance just likes to hear itself.

The Giants and Browns don’t play in 2019, but they will in 2020. And that will most certainly be a game worth circling on your calendars.

5B4EB206-D43A-4F54-94F8-73C8EB6D14D4.thumb.jpeg.c1f66ab71de7c7fbf3353a16d9107841.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

But he looks so cool running the entire length of the field swinging his arms around like a high school cheerleader when he throws a skinny post that goes for a TD vs. the juggernaut NY Jets. 

Having the WR/RB/TE make plays and go in for a score to pad your yards and TD numbers is nothing new. But the difference between other QBs and Baker is the same as the difference between every other CB and Kyle Wilson when a QB throws a bad pass which leads to an incompletion. Both are fully insufferable.

6DEE33B5-6D49-413F-AFB2-D49A2DFB1788.thumb.jpeg.fc920b8cf37931aacf8a9cbe8c59ec31.jpeg

The guy who cares enough to actively go around looking to put every single chip on his shoulder told us that “if you don’t wear orange and brown you don’t matter”, but then he did this 30 mins ago. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Sam Darnold is missing games because of his mouth. Way to keep your eye on the ball, guys.

BAKER H8ER DON"T YOU KNOW BAKER SETS ROOKIE RECORDZZ!!!

33 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

AB and IB trash Baker.

AB’s other post was better. Called out Baker for rolling to his right every play lol.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

So far as we know Baker isn't a rapist. So we should probably quit the "AB" comparisons. 

As far as we know neither is AB. 

As far as we know, AB has never tried to run from the police nor has AB had to be chased, tackled and cited by the police. 

49 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We know he's a piece of sh*t, that he's harassed women and that an NFL franchise released him in the midst of rape allegations.

He's not comparable to Mayfield. At all. 

The only one comparing him in two different thread is you, my friend. Everyone else is just watching two scumbags self combust on a public forum and enjoying it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes, we do.

I think he’s an ass, probably a rapist, and is suffering from CTE, but unless your back was also sprayed with AB’s swimmers, no, you don’t.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm not stupid

Yes, you are. If you don’t think so, that’s cool. But that has nothing to do with the particulars of the situation. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

If it comes down to Baker or Stefanski in Cleveland (with apology to Tony Montana) say goodbye to your little friend.

Would love it if the browns fired a fifth coach in three years as a result of Baker being Baker, but his second GM in three years won’t let it happen. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You sound like a real Mensa member... and you write like an 8 year old. (Capital letters are a thing, Einstein)

Not that it matters, but I was born in Brooklyn, and grew up on Long Island. I still have a home in Nassau County and just finished building another out on the North Fork.

I love Myrtle Beach though. I spend about 5 months a year down here in a home on the Intercoastal Waterway and golf course, and oh yeah... I was able to graduate from a great University in under 4 years, while playing a sport.

Transcripts, resume, and tax returns or it didn’t happen!

• Haha 3

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company