The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats nice, one partial season, two completely different staffs, with massively better offensive personnel in Cleveland and  you make as foolish a statement as there is.  

You arent even a good troll, just a troll

Also 3 seasons of excellence at OU. A record setting season with less than 16 games played. Stronger arm, more accurate than our guy. 

Darnold will probably be good. Mayfield is good.

It’s not trolling, it’s just reality.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Kind of ignorant to whine about peoples vocabulary and you throw azzholes into and around as if its complementary.

Kind of makes him a royal azzhole.  

Well, not kind of

I'm not surprised that you self identified as one of those azzholes when I never mentioned a name. 

49 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Also 3 seasons of excellence at OSU. A record setting season with less than 16 games played. Stronger arm, more accurate than our guy. 

Darnold will probably be good. Mayfield is good.

It’s not trolling, it’s just reality.

Hes 24 and Sam was 21 a year ago.  

I didnt say Mayfield wasnt good, never have.  Just asking, yes or no, does Mayfield have the season he had in Cleveland if he started on last years Jets team?  Same number of games, RAnderson, Enunwa etc out?  No run game?  

Same numbers?  

Reality is you cant look past the stat sheet if you answer yes

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RobR said:

It was you.

Who cares?  You think the internet is what, scary, insulting whatever?

Pretty much when you call people azzholes, especially when youre not even part of the discussion, that pretty much makes you the azzhole

Another internet tough guy pissing in the wind

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes 24 and Sam was 21 a year ago.  

I didnt say Mayfield wasnt good, never have.  Just asking, yes or no, does Mayfield have the season he had in Cleveland if he started on last years Jets team?  Same number of games, RAnderson, Enunwa etc out?  No run game?  

Same numbers?  

Reality is you cant look past the stat sheet if you answer yes

He’d have had a better year than Darnold did. 

Fun fact: last season Mayfield was 23, 2 years older and miles better than Darnold. 

What is it that Darnold does better than Mayfield?

Arm strength: Mayfield

Accuracy: Mayfield

Decision making (on field): Mayfield

Track record: Mayfield

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

No disrespect but I’ve tried to be civil with the dude but he seems to be the Debbie Downer on most of these threads and if I respond he dumps on me and then quickly went to Ignore. And then went to Ignore on others  who take issue with his downer persona. 

I will ignore a lot. I don’t put folks on Ignore. 

Apologies. 

Let me know if I should go elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Same here, I've tried.  He ignores me and that's fine.  Now he's telling others to put us on ignore.  I wasn't talking to him.  

Euro comment was just busting balls, Not really his, he claims were all on ignore.  He dishes it out well enough, he does it to you... 

Ill leave him alone.  

So here's the thing, I get into it with @Warfish all the time, myself. But what I do is quote him or, as I've done here, tag him, so he's aware that I've posted in response to him. That's the way to do it. Making references to him without doing that is, IMHO, cowardly, and, as I said, simply not cool. 

I'm doing this publicly as a warning to everyone. This sort of behavior is ban-worthy. If you can't have a civil discussion, have no discussion. If you wanna talk about someone, "behind their back," do it in PMs. Like I'm doing in the mod lounge about you two. :) 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Fun fact: last season Mayfield was 23, 2 years older and miles better than Darnold. 

And you know this how?  Other than to guess.

Anyone who says Mayfield has the stronger arm sets the record straight right away.  As if at the level theyre both at it would even make a difference

You make a lot of assumptions off a partial season.  

Good for you though.  I'll take the kid whos 3 years younger and was the higher ranked QB going into the draft.  Thats me, argument is over you believe what you want

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Mayfield had nearly twice the college experience that Darnold had. It's no surprise that he had a better rookie year. He's talented. But I don't understand giving him the edge in arm strength, accuracy, or decision making going forward. I look forward to seeing how their careers play out. Sam's now my QB, and I'd bet on him as the bigger, stronger dude with the higher ceiling. We'll see. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you know this how?  Other than to guess.

Anyone who says Mayfield has the stronger arm sets the record straight right away.  

You make a lot of assumptions off a partial season.  

Good for you though.  I'll take the kid whos 3 years younger and was the higher ranked QB going into the draft.  Thats me, argument is over you believe what you want

2 years younger. Anyone that had him ranked higher were wrong. If you watched those games you’d know how good Mayfield was. 

Mayfield has the stronger arm, if you watch then you can see it. The ball explodes out of Mayfield’s hand and he darts balls into tight windows. Darnold isn’t on that level.

Also don’t ask me a ridiculous hypothetical and then say that my answer is invalid because there are no statistics for an alternative reality. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

2 years younger. Anyone that had him ranked higher were wrong. If you watched those games you’d know how good Mayfield was. 

Mayfield has the stronger arm, if you watch then you can see it. The ball explodes out of Mayfield’s hand and he darts balls into tight windows. Darnold isn’t on that level.

Also don’t ask me a ridiculous hypothetical and then say that my answer is invalid because there are no statistics for an alternative reality. 

Explodes out of his arm.

LOL

Watch USC games 

17 minutes ago, slats said:

So here's the thing, I get into it with @Warfish all the time, myself. But what I do is quote him or, as I've done here, tag him, so he's aware that I've posted in response to him. That's the way to do it. Making references to him without doing that is, IMHO, cowardly, and, as I said, simply not cool. 

I'm doing this publicly as a warning to everyone. This sort of behavior is ban-worthy. If you can't have a civil discussion, have no discussion. If you wanna talk about someone, "behind their back," do it in PMs. Like I'm doing in the mod lounge about you two. :) 

One last word.

Calling people azzholes, is that cool too?

I mean, wasnt even part of the debate but had to come in calling people names...

Done

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He was ranked higher for two years.

Baker was ranked behind Darnold, Rosen and Allen.

Right or wrong ultimately isnt the point.  Neither is to just say, they were wrong after playing part of one season

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Mayfield had nearly twice the college experience that Darnold had. It's no surprise that he had a better rookie year. He's talented. But I don't understand giving him the edge in arm strength, accuracy, or decision making going forward. I look forward to seeing how their careers play out. Sam's now my QB, and I'd bet on him as the bigger, stronger dude with the higher ceiling. We'll see. 

He gets the edge in those because he has those traits over Darnold. He was statistically better in his first season at OSU than Darnold was in his best college season. And for all of Darnold looking more prototypical, he is not as good.

I want Sam to be great and I think he’ll be plenty good to win in this league, but I can’t buy that he’ll be better than the guy that is elite in all relevant measurements of quarterbacking.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was ranked higher for two years.

Baker was ranked behind Darnold, Rosen and Allen.

Right or wrong ultimately isnt the point.  Neither is to just say, they were wrong after playing part of one season

Ranked higher doesn’t mean anything. It is literally nothing, especially since it was the opinions of people that don’t work in front offices. 

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Right now I’d say yes baker has a slightly stronger arm if we are talking about simply rifling a ball in a straight line.

however Darnold has a stronger arm throwing on the move and from awkward positions/his feet not set. 

You don’t make the throw @ 1 min in this video without incredibly special throwing abilities. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slats said:

@Warfish has me on Ignore and has made several very very public announcements about putting me on Ignore and has suggested others put me on Ignore. I’ve tried to engage him but...you know...Ignore. 

If you feel my behavior of engaging him in civil but contentious discourse here then him running away and putting me on Ignore and prompting others to put me and others that disagree with him on Ignore is on ME, then by all means feel free to ban me.  

Would be really weird but I guess whatever you decide. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One last word.

Calling people azzholes, is that cool too?

I mean, wasnt even part of the debate but had to come in calling people names...

Done

No, it's not cool. 

But you referring to Warfish as "warminnow" randomly, without quoting or tagging him, is both childish and cowardly. I found those posts days later and left them there, but they certainly helped lead me to calling you out today. If you can recognize the problem, you should be able to recognize how to not be a part of it. 

We don't like banning people here. It's not common. But attacking other members here without quoting or tagging them to notify and allow them to defend their positions is just wrong and won't be tolerated. If you insist on continuing to do such a thing, you will be given some time off. I'd prefer not to do that. 

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Right now I’d say yes baker has a slightly stronger arm if we are talking about simply rifling a ball in a straight line.

however Darnold has a stronger arm throwing on the move and from awkward positions/his feet not set. 

You don’t make the throw @ 1 min in this video without incredibly special throwing abilities. 

Darnold is a good talent but Baker makes ridiculous throws all the time from any body position. If Darnold manages to be individually better than Baker it’ll be an upset. Darnold may end up more successful and I hope he is.

43 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Two years is A LOT of development time. A guy coming into the league as a 5th year senior compared to a RS Sophomore is pretty drastic.

Irregardless this whole argument is stupid. Mayfield was much better than Darnold as a rookie, but nobody knows what the future holds. 

• Post of the Week 1

I think most people know how much I like Baker. Mayfield, so I’m probably biased here. But....

After his sophomore season, Darnold’s “rating” was at its peak, and he was the #1 QB prospect. His junior season was a disappointment in comparison, and he slipped to the point where Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield were all considered on par with him, there was no real consensus #1, until...

The only person who actually got to decide who should be ranked higher was Jim Dorsey, the Browns GM. He decided to break my heart and choose. Mayfield #1. That ended any discussion of who was ranked higher. The only person (and a extremely credible one) who got a chance to decide, chose Mayfield.

45 minutes ago, slats said:

It's all good, it's obviously killing those two that I'm not engaging them any longer.  And I'm sure you know this, but even if they quote me or tag me now, since they're on ignore, it's (to me) like it never happened.  I get no notifications, and I never see their "content".  They literally may as well not exist from my perspective.  Trying to be part of the solution, not the problem.

It's been wonderful, I have to tell you.  Since I bother them so, I'd suggest they do the same, it'd be a win/win really.

You old bud, I'd never put you on ignore.  You're an excellent debater, and you've always more than kept me on my toes.  Don't always agree, but generally have to respect.  Even when I don't really want to.  For what it's worth.

Them?  Lol, life is too short for all that jazz.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He gets the edge in those because he has those traits over Darnold. He was statistically better in his first season at OSU than Darnold was in his best college season. And for all of Darnold looking more prototypical, he is not as good.

I want Sam to be great and I think he’ll be plenty good to win in this league, but I can’t buy that he’ll be better than the guy that is elite in all relevant measurements of quarterbacking.

As the 2018 draft approached, I expected Baker Mayfield to be the Jets' QB. I not only accepted that, but welcomed it. Check my profile here, me and Baker share a birthday. I would've LOVED for him to be the Jets' QB. I don't want you to think for a second that I don't like him. I like him a lot. 

But, again, Mayfield had nearly twice the college experience that Darnold had, and played on a team with better talent last year. He's got better talent around him this year, too. We'll see who has the better career. I suspect that Sam was the top QB prospect for over a year before that draft for a reason. 

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Mayfield is great, extremely accurate with a strong arm but he doesn’t have the same ability to read and dissect defenses like Sam and doesn’t have Sam’s ox-like physique. Sam’s arm is just as strong and I’d argue more accurate into tight windows.  

2 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Two years is A LOT of development time. A guy coming into the league as a 5th year senior compared to a RS Sophomore is pretty drastic.

Irregardless this whole argument is stupid. Mayfield was much better than Darnold as a rookie, but nobody knows what the future holds. 

The problem with equating these things is that it ignores that Baker’s worst in college was better than Darnold’s best. It also ignores that Darnold’s rookie season means that he can either be good or bad going forward. For Mayfield to fail to be anything other than really good would be an upset.

1 minute ago, slats said:

As the 2018 draft approached, I expected Baker Mayfield to be the Jets' QB. I not only accepted that, but welcomed it. Check my profile here, me and Baker share a birthday. I would've LOVED for him to be the Jets' QB. I don't want you to think for a second that I don't like him. I like him a lot. 

But, again, Mayfield had nearly twice the college experience that Darnold had, and played on a team with better talent last year. He's got better talent around him this year, too. We'll see who has the better career. I suspect that Sam was the top QB prospect for over a year before that draft for a reason. 

I really liked Mayfield in the draft.  He was my #1 all the way.

That time has passed. 

Darnold is our guy, Baker is a rival.  I may think Baker will be a great QB, but we have Darnold, and Darnold has everything to also be a great QB.  

Relitigating that draft seems pointless now.  Let's all root Darnold, and hope he's the stud we've all dreamed of.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I always expected and hoped for Mayfield too  because I never expected Sam to be there for us. 

Loved Mayfield but IMHO Sam is and will be the better QB. 

But I could have lived with Baker although I preferred Darnold. 

• Upvote 2