The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Mayfield is great, extremely accurate with a strong arm but he doesn’t have the same ability to read and dissect defenses like Sam and doesn’t have Sam’s ox-like physique. Sam’s arm is just as strong and I’d argue more accurate into tight windows.  

But you can’t actually argue that he’s more accurate, it’s just not true at any level. Mayfield’s big calling card is being as good with his eyes as he is talented with arms. He’s that good and he’s shown it at the NFL level, Sam hasn’t yet.

18 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

@Warfish has me on Ignore and has made several very very public announcements about putting me on Ignore and has suggested others put me on Ignore. I’ve tried to engage him but...you know...Ignore. 

If you feel my behavior of engaging him in civil but contentious discourse here then him running away and putting me on Ignore and prompting others to put me and others that disagree with him on Ignore is on ME, then by all means feel free to ban me.  

Would be really weird but I guess whatever you decide. 

I do not want to ban anyone. I enjoy most of your content. But ridiculing another member here without quoting or tagging him is just, simply, wrong. If you know he has you on ignore, ignore him, too. It's pretty easy. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Darnold is a good talent but Baker makes ridiculous throws all the time from any body position. If Darnold manages to be individually better than Baker it’ll be an upset. Darnold may end up more successful and I hope he is.

I don’t agree- show me one throw Baker has made that is comparable to that. Baker is a twitchy rythm passer.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

But you can’t actually argue that he’s more accurate, it’s just not true at any level. Mayfield’s big calling card is being as good with his eyes as he is talented with arms. He’s that good and he’s shown it at the NFL level, Sam hasn’t yet.

Not true- Darnolds 6 best games last year are comparable to Bakers best six. Darnold has shown the ability to play at an elite level just like Baker has. Difference is Baker was more consistent and didn’t have as big of down games.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I do not want to ban anyone. I enjoy most of your content. But ridiculing another member here without quoting or tagging him is just, simply, wrong. If you know he has you on ignore, ignore him, too. It's pretty easy. 

Can you please ban Baker Mayfield?

• Post of the Week 3

8 minutes ago, slats said:

As I said, I’ve tried to engage @Warfish but he has run away and he has continued to call for others to ignore me and those who disagree with him. 

If I am going to be called out in absentia with no repercussions  I would trust that a similar response would be appropriate.  

I don’t want to be banned but I also don’t appreciate pejorative comments from a dude that has me on Ignore with no care about a similar penalty. 

11 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I don’t agree- show me one throw Baker has made that is comparable to that. Baker is a twitchy rythm passer.

There’s a throw in here that 40 yard across the field while on the move. It’s wild. But he can do what Darnold can do and then he does all of it better. 

12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Not true- Darnolds 6 best games last year are comparable to Bakers best six. Darnold has shown the ability to play at an elite level just like Baker has. Difference is Baker was more consistent and didn’t have as big of down games.

In his best 6 games Mayfield had the same amount of TDs as Darnold’s whole season. But yes I believe Darnold can be exceptional, but he won’t be Mayfield.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Can you please ban Baker Mayfield?

Too much fun.  Let the fanboys go at it.  

Mayfield is a brown, they can cry and argue all they want....fact, Sam is a Jet.  He’s who you got, and frankly, the Jets could have done a lot worse.

I think Mahomes is much better than mayfield, or Sam.  Couldn’t care less about the Chiefs though.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

As I said, I’ve tried to engage @Warfish but he has run away and he has continued to call for others to ignore me and those who disagree with him. 

If I am going to be called out in absentia with no repercussions  I would trust that a similar response would be appropriate.  

I don’t want to be banned but I also don’t appreciate pejorative comments from a dude that has me on Ignore with no care about a similar penalty. 

I feel like I'm aware of Warfish's posts, and I'm not seeing what you say you're seeing. If you have examples, link them and PM me. 

If you have the guy on ignore, what call outs are you seeing in absentia? It should be none. Just like you should stop referring to him once you decide to click the ignore feature. 

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There’s a throw in here that 40 yard across the field while on the move. It’s wild. But he can do what Darnold can do and then he does all of it better. 

In his best 6 games Mayfield had the same amount of TDs as Darnold’s whole season. But yes I believe Darnold can be exceptional, but he won’t be Mayfield.

God, I hope not. 

• Haha 1

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

Too much fun.  Let the fanboys go at it.  

Mayfield is a brown, they can cry and argue all they want....fact, Sam is a Jet.  He’s who you got, and frankly, the Jets could have done a lot worse.

I think Mahomes is much better than mayfield, or Sam.  Couldn’t care less about the Chiefs though.

I just really like Mayfield. His personality is fun and he’s really good. I’m so excited for Darnold’s career but I don’t believe he’ll be as good as Mayfield who will be an all-time guy. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

I just really like Mayfield. His personality is fun and he’s really good. I’m so excited for Darnold’s career but I don’t believe he’ll be as good as Mayfield who will be an all-time guy. 

Nothing wrong with that. At least you’re not an a$$hole about it.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t know who’s better yet between baker and sam

but I do know that their college stats are irrelevant

baker was playing with joe mixon, sterling shepard, Dede Westbrook, cee dee lamb, mark Andrews. Familiar? And in that spaced out hyper-efficient offense scheme

darnold had a year of juju who is fantastic. He also had Ronald jones (meh at this point) and that’s it, plus a much less qb friendly offense.

physically and athletically their pretty even. I like having the taller, heavier guy tho, and I think darnold is more athletic for his size than baker. As far as arms, it’s hard to say. They’re both impressive and 2 years of growth at 23v21 is something to note. 

Accuracy I give baker in the consistency department and I’d say they are both able to make those wow throws for tight windows. 

I think it’s false to say that baker is so much better but slightly better I could certainly get (for now)

7 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I don’t know who’s better yet between baker and sam

but I do know that their college stats are irrelevant

baker was playing with joe mixon, sterling shepard, Dede Westbrook, cee dee lamb, mark Andrews. Familiar? And in that spaced out hyper-efficient offense scheme

darnold had a year of juju who is fantastic. He also had Ronald jones (meh at this point) and that’s it, plus a much less qb friendly offense.

physically and athletically their pretty even. I like having the taller, heavier guy tho, and I think darnold is more athletic for his size than baker. As far as arms, it’s hard to say. They’re both impressive and 2 years of growth at 23v21 is something to note. 

Accuracy I give baker in the consistency department and I’d say they are both able to make those wow throws for tight windows. 

I think it’s false to say that baker is so much better but slightly better I could certainly get (for now)

Did they both play well against highly ranked defenses?  Think I read somewhere on here that Sam played well against better defenses.

Truth, or hyperbole?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

Would you trade Darnold straight up for Mayfield? 

I know I wouldn't. 

I’d do it in a second. Most here would probably agree with you. Jets fans are mostly going to ride Darnold.

Browns fans would laugh at the thought of doing it.

It would be an interesting question though if asked to fans through out the league. I think Mayfield would still be the choice though nationally. What do you think?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I’d do it in a second. Most here would probably agree with you. Jets fans are mostly going to ride Darnold.

It would be an interesting question though if asked to fans through out the league. I think Mayfield would still be the choice though nationally. What do you think?

source.gif

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The first 25 games of their career Wentz (older prospect) looked like the far superior player than Goff. Today I think most would take Goff. Time will tell who is better, but it just goes to show how quickly these things can change. 

goff will be gone from rams before the new stadium is played in

6 hours ago, RobR said:

Would you trade Darnold straight up for Mayfield? 

I know I wouldn't. 

I’d give Darnold and a first right now. At the end of the season I might only give Darnold.

If Darnold this year has Mayfield’s rookie season, we’ll all be so happy.

Wow ....

Darnold had 1/4 the supporting cast of Mayfield last year.

This year will tell a lot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I think the two years difference in age and experience was a huge factor in the results of their rookie years. Sam was the youngest QB to open the season as an NFL starting QB since -at least- the 1970 merger. Mayfield had nearly twice the college starting experience. He was also surrounded by more talent than the Jets had (or have, for that matter). 

Darnold was the #1 QB prospect in the country for over a year when Dorsey shocked everyone and took Baker Mayfield while Sam sat there and watched in his brown tie. So far, so good for them. I think Mayfield's brash personality is an excellent fit for a franchise that's been nowhere for so long. I think it would've been a fit here, too, but I'm digging Sam's quiet confidence and competitiveness. I'd be wary about trading him right now, straight up, for Baker. I think he was that #1 prospect so long for a reason. 

I think if you swapped the two QBs' teams, Mayfield still would've had the better rookie year, but it would've been closer. And if I were a Browns' fan, I'd be psyched out of my mind looking forward to Sam in his second year surrounded by Landry, OBJ, and Hunt. Mayfield'll probably be fine there, too. ;)  Dorsey is all in. Our team isn't quite there yet. 

4 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The first 25 games of their career Wentz (older prospect) looked like the far superior player than Goff. Today I think most would take Goff. Time will tell who is better, but it just goes to show how quickly these things can change. 

After their rookie seasons, RG3 looked better than Andrew Luck. We're talking about two guys here who'll probably be QB'ing their teams for the next 15 years or more. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

Mayfield was drafted first overall so it’s not a big deal if he’s better than Darnold. Both Darnold and Mayfield can be the franchise QBs their teams are looking for. It’s not mutually exclusive.

I actually think Darnold is a much better fit for NY than Baker from a personality standpoint. Cleveland fans/media are a bunch of Pom Pom wavers. Baker seems a little think skinned which wouldn’t bode well in this market. 

Mayfield is great but I believe he is much closer to a finished product than Darnold. Last year you saw Baker at 85% and Darnold at 45%.

There is a reason you saw huge leaps in Darnolds game even mid season- and keep hearing about his daily improvement from coaches and players. Kid is in the early formation stages of his game.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Mayfield was drafted first overall so it’s not a big deal if he’s better than Darnold. Both Darnold and Mayfield can be the franchise QBs their teams are looking for. It’s not mutually exclusive.

I suspect the Jets were a real factor in Mayfield going #1 overall. The draft order that year was Browns, Giants, Jets, Browns. I think Dorsey was seriously toying with the idea of taking Barkley #1, thinking that Mayfield would be there at #4 with Darnold and Rosen, at that time, generally considered the top two QBs in the draft. Had Barkley gone #1, the Giants easily could've taken Darnold #2, and word got out that the Jets weren't going to let Mayfield get past #3. If that word hadn't leaked, Mayfield might've been a Jet, and the Browns might've been choosing between Rosen and Allen at QB. 

Clever move by the Jets to leak that info to land Darnold? Or stupid move that cost them Mayfield? Again, time will tell. 

• Upvote 1