The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

32 minutes ago, jack48 said:

right. Was Peyton a riveting watch off the field when he played?  Brady?  Brees?  I want boring but good

Our only SB was delivered by probably the most off-the-field QB in league history 

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Posters on this board are scared to death of what Mayfield might become in 5 years. They need this stuff to feel better.

Which is odd. Not like we passed on him. josh Allen succeeding in buffalo would feel much worse 

3 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I love watching Mayfield play, but if you don’t see how potentially combustible the situation in Cleveland is I don’t know what to tell you. Loud mouth QB, diva WRs, Kareem Hunt, Sheldon Richardson, etc. all under a rookie HC who was a coordinator for all of half a season.

It’s June and already you’ve got multiple players taking issue with the way Mayfield is criticizing teammates through the media and there’s some sort of disconnect with the new offensive coordinator. All of this could wind up being nothing but pointing it out given the roster and coaching situation is entirely valid.

Exactly this... 

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Public sentiment right now is that the Browns are so stacked that they are going to take down the Central and are going to be one of the best 3 teams in the AFC... Not my perception but ok... People feel that with Hill suspension looming that KC takes a step back... Pats are the Pats.... Steelers are under 500 team with AB and Bell gone... Chargers and Indy are the two other teams rising in the AFC... The implosion has to do with more the media bickering then the actual W/L record... Its easy to see that the personalities will create rifts keeping them a team around 6-10 or 7-9... 

Public sentiment...based on what? The media is driving that. Not Browns fans talking about how they're winning it all. 

People feel what they are told to feel, and the folks of other teams who dont like this type of coverage are using the ridiculous pedestal as a way to put forth this "are they imploding already" narrative. 

Like I said, Its folks who arent Browns fans that are placing them on these ridiculous pedestals as well as the folks using such pedestals to set them up for failure. 

Any rational and logical person would know that a team that has won 8 games in 3 years need to show some dominance in their own division before talking Superbowl. 

We're not dealing with rational people, we're dealing with folks setting up for failure given that it's clearly alot ot ask for. 

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Our only SB was delivered by probably the most off-the-field QB in league history 

Which is odd. Not like we passed on him. josh Allen succeeding in buffalo would feel much worse 

Yes... Namath was a personality but not in the same time, in terms of media. Media now cares more about internet clicks then real reporting... So in times like these I personally would rather a QB that doesn't have one-liners that media can construe stories around... Its nice not having that drama for once... 

Agree on this second part... 

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Because Darnold and Mayfield were drafted together... if Rosen or Allen were running their mouths creating this drama there would be a similar sentiment... Your love of Mayfield is blinding the reality of the situation... 

So are you saying the "Big 12" criticism wasnt constantly used? or the police video? or the stat comparison to Geno while at WV? 

My love for Mayfield pale in comparison to the hatred for this guy for years....probably because I liked him ironically enough. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Public sentiment...based on what? The media is driving that. Not Browns fans talking about how they're winning it all. 

People feel what they are told to feel, and the folks of other teams who dont like this type of coverage are using the ridiculous pedestal as a way to put forth this "are they imploding already" narrative. 

Like I said, Its folks who arent Browns fans that are placing them on these ridiculous pedestals as well as the folks using such pedestals to set them up for failure. 

Any rational and logical person would know that a team that has won 8 games in 3 years need to show some dominance in their own division before talking Superbowl. 

We're not dealing with rational people, we're dealing with folks setting up for failure given that it's clearly alot ot ask for. 

Do you think they are going to be better then 7-9 this year? Do you think that if they don't make it to 7-9 that there is a possibility that the personalities in the locker room affected the outcome? Do you think that the rift after the Buffalo game when Sheldon had it out with Marshall had anything to do with final outcome of games won in 2016? This is the point... 

Sheldon even has talked about how that rift killed the whole year... and that was week 3... and he is in that locker room.... along with numerous other teammates that run their mouths...  How can you not see that it is combustible

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Meh. 

I think it's just nice when the Jets aren't the tabloid headliners. 

I like Mayfield, and have never had any problem with the mouthiest players the Jets ever had. Gastineau, Keyshawn, never an issue for me. If Mayfield was a Jet, I'd probably enjoy a lot of his antics. I do think, though, that this time he's made a mistake, which is why he found himself confronted by veterans on the team. You side with your teammates in management-labor disputes, or you keep your mouth shut. It's a lesson he needs to learn. Otherwise, he'll be in that Russell Wilson boat where he's a really good QB who isn't loved by his team. 

That said, of course I want Darnold to be better than him! I'm a Jet fan. I hope the Jets crush the Browns and embarrass Mayfield in week two. But I want them to do that to everyone. 

Pretty much 

I was on record multiple times before the ‘18 draft saying that I would take Mayfield at #6. But only provided that guys like Darnold and Rosen were gone. I even preferred Allen over him. But I still realized that we absolutely HAD to grab one of those top prospects and even though I had plenty of issues with Mayfield, I still thought that he was worthy of a 1st round pick. Not Top 10 really, but a solid prospect who admittedly possessed the accuracy that you need to be a consistent, good NFL starter.

But once we traded multiple 2nd rounders to move up to #3...I wanted dick to do with the guy. We were almost assured of Darnold or Rosen at that point.

I think Mayfield will ultimately be a Jeff Garcia type. He’ll have an 8-10 year run as a quality starter in Cleveland, make a couple of pro-bowls, be beloved by the fanbase, and then transition to being a quality backup for a few years if his ego can handle it.

Not a bust, but not the 15 year, Top 5 QB that I very much believe Darnold will end up being.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Do you think they are going to be better then 7-9 this year? Do you think that if they don't make it that there is a possibility that the personalities in the locker room affected the outcome? Do you think that the rift after the Buffalo game when Sheldon had it out with Marshall had anything to do with final outcome of games won in 2016? This is the point... 

Sheldon even has talked about how that rift killed the whole year... and that was week 3... and he is in that locker room.... along with numerous other teammates that run their mouths... 

I think they could be a 9 or 10 win team. 

There's something called "chemistry". How many "dream teams" do we have to see to realize that if there's no chemistry or too many superstars that things can go left? 

The Browns clearly have talent. What I expect from them is to have a 9 or 10 win season as well as have a winning division record. 

Superbowl and AFCCG's are of course possible...for any team, but it's a pipe dream nonetheless. 

It's rare to see such massive turnarounds like that. And even if you do, its rarely long-lived. 

10-6 and it's a successful season. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Browns fans confidence has reached a perfect 100% after the draft

Cleveland is the place to be right now if you’re a football fan.

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature  

Ever since QB Baker Mayfield started playing well last year, the confidence among Browns fans regarding the direction of the team has been high. It has been especially high since the end of the season, where it was 94%. It reached 97% through both free agency and prior to the draft. Now, with the 2019 NFL Draft in the books, we have reached a new high: a perfect 100% of fans are confident in the direction of the team!

cleveland_.jpg

It wasn’t the most exciting draft for the Browns, since they didn’t have a first-round pick. But the team still got a cornerback with a first-round grade mid-way through the second round, and added a bunch of thumpers in the later rounds who can make an immediate difference on special teams and in defensive sub-packages.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Mayfield is great, but his behavior has always, and still does scare me. 

He does controversial stuff in Cleveland, now imagine him pulling some of his antics in NYC with a bunch of vultures for beat writers.

Great? How, for entertainment.

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

See @Skeptable?

Untouchable is being honest. 

Like I said, it isnt you specifically but its crystal clear that Jets fans are wishing for the Browns downfall. Proof right there. 

I actually respect untouchable here because he's the only one willing to say it. I cant hate on that if that's his position. Its the Jets fans who pretend that this isnt how they feel. 

Im a Jets fan and I want the Browns to kick ass the year. Jets fans know it and give me sh*t about it, but one thing they can never give me sh*t on is lying about how I feel. Many Jets fans are lying about their hatred for this team. Just be honest. 

I can only speak for myself, but I don't know.  Giants?  HATE.  (HAAAATE) Pats?  Hate.  Browns???  who???  to me, they are like the Jets.  if they win, they win.  God bless 'em.  who cares.  just don't win week 2.

IMO the giants had a better/similar team last 5 years with OBJ than these Browns and they did absolutely nothing.  the guy is a cancer, and no team with him will win anything.  again, just my opinion.  he needs someone like an Eli, or to a lesser extent a Darnold, to reel him in.  Darnold, like Mayfield, is so young and will not command his respect, but he's a grounded guy.  I mean for God's sake he had a 2-time SB MVP and he couldn't reel in that insanity.  LAST thing that moron OBJ needs is a youngster like Mayfield feeding into this crap.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Yes... Namath was a personality but not in the same time, in terms of media. Media now cares more about internet clicks then real reporting... So in times like these I personally would rather a QB that doesn't have one-liners that media can construe stories around... Its nice not having that drama for once... 

Agree on this second part... 

Joe Namath would be in rehab if he played today 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature  May 9, 2019, 2:09pm EDT

Ever since QB Baker Mayfield started playing well last year, the confidence among Browns fans regarding the direction of the team has been high. It has been especially high since the end of the season, where it was 94%. It reached 97% through both free agency and prior to the draft. Now, with the 2019 NFL Draft in the books, we have reached a new high: a perfect 100% of fans are confident in the direction of the team!

cleveland_.jpg

It wasn’t the most exciting draft for the Browns, since they didn’t have a first-round pick. But the team still got a cornerback with a first-round grade mid-way through the second round, and added a bunch of thumpers in the later rounds who can make an immediate difference on special teams and in defensive sub-packages.

This isnt surprising. Why? Because they won 8 games in 3 years....7 of them coming just last year from that rookie. Of course they're at a all time high in confidence when you win 1 game in 2 season Slats. 

Look at the confidence of Jets fans with Sam Darnold. 

Look, we're 3 pages in. We all know why Jets fans are even talking about this non story. 

Im not going back and forth about this. Deep down Jets fans know why they are so concerned about the Browns and Mayfield. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature  May 9, 2019, 2:09pm EDT

cleveland_.jpg

So we found a fan base more prone to stultifying mood swings than us

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This isnt surprising. Why? Because they won 8 games in 3 years....7 of them coming just last year from that rookie. Of course they're at a all time high in confidence when you win 1 game in 2 season Slats. 

Look at the confidence of Jets fans with Sam Darnold. 

Look, we're 3 pages in. We all know why Jets fans are even talking about this non story. 

Im not going back and forth about this. Deep down Jets fans know why they are so concerned about the Browns and Mayfield. 

Knicks fans were confident they were going to get Zion and Durant (95%!!!)

Confidence means nothing.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

They went from one win in two years laughingstocks to pretty damn cocky in record time. It's not surprising that some outsiders might want to take them down a notch. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

When all is said and done, I'm sure you'll have a page-worth of posts in this thread all by yourself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

100% correct. 

You know what it is specifically? It's not that Mayfield may even be good or great, it's that most folks talking about how Mayfield runs his mouth were the same ones running their mouth back when he was in college talking about how he played in the Big 12 and "no QB from the Big 12 has ever been good" (Ironically everyone is a f'ing Mahomes fanboy now....but that's a totally different convo) or "his running with the police" or supporting everything Colin Cowherd had to say, or saying he wasnt even a 1st round talent...etc. 

They need Mayfield to be terrible in order for their ego's to save face. 

People don’t ever stay true to their initial statements around here and I don’t expect them to start now in regards to the Pat Mahomes infatuation. Whether it be posters feeling salty for being wrong, having an “old school” mindset or just being flat out insecure, they can’t handle the fact that Mayfield is a terrific young QB on the rise. They need to leave Darnold out of this though, because while it is true that Darnold is probably the opposite of Mayfield, personality wise.. How good he does doesn’t have any affect on how much they hate Mayfield lol. 

Zero. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im so glad we got Sam Darnold instead of Baker Mayfield and the circus atmosphere is gone from here. 

me too.  and I don't get why people on here are saying Jets fans are afraid of Mayfield, or whatever.....Josh Allen?  I get that, but Mayfield was gone.  we could not have gotten him.  end of story.

If Darnold wins a SB, Browns and Giants look like fools.  if Mayfield wins one?  ummmm why do we care?  unless Browns beat Jets in AFC Championship game, it means squat to me!  Now if Josh Allen and the Bills win one, then I can see Jets fans being pi$$ed.  A ) it's the Bills and  B ) we could have had him and took Sam instead.  But not the case with Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

Williams demands accountability, publicly talks smack about Adams, no filter or BS, "coached better players", etc.  Jets Fans Rejoice.

Mayfield demands accountability, says "be here or not if you want, we the team are going forward", no filter or BS, etc. Jets Fans Proclaim Implosion.

Saturday Night Live in it's heyday couldn't write this any better.

Mayfield is 100% correct.  Want be be here, great, lets get to it!  Don't, fine, **** off and get out the way player, we got a team to lead.  He's 100% doing what Jets Fans have wanted our team and players to do for ages, ignore the bullsh*t and get to business.

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THIS organization, so either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Those utterly non-PC answers are brilliant.  Had a Jets QB said them in the same spot, this forum would literally be deifying the QB for having said it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Williams demands accountability, publicly talks smack about Adams, no filter or BS, "coached better players", etc.  Jets Fans Rejoice.

Mayfield demands accountability, says "be here or not if you want, we the team are going forward", no filter or BS, etc. Jets Fans Proclaim Implosion.

Mayfield is 100% correct.  Want be be here, great, lets get to it!  Don't, fine, **** off and get out the way player, we got a team to lead.  He's 100% doing what Jets Fans have wanted our team and players to do for ages, ignore the bullsh*t and get to business.

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THSI organization, s either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Those utterly non-PC answers are brilliant.  Had a Jets QB said them in the same spot, this forum would literally be deifying the QB for having said it.

maybe I missed it, but I did not read about ONE Jets player coming up to Williams after he said that about Adams?  until that happens, this comparison is out the window.  sorry.

plus, Williams has been here for a LONG time.  Mayfield has been here for a cup of coffee.

47 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

I love watching Mayfield play, but if you don’t see how potentially combustible the situation in Cleveland is I don’t know what to tell you. Loud mouth QB, diva WRs, Kareem Hunt, Sheldon Richardson, etc. all under a rookie HC who was a coordinator for all of half a season.

It’s June and already you’ve got multiple players taking issue with the way Mayfield is criticizing teammates through the media and there’s some sort of disconnect with the new offensive coordinator. All of this could wind up being nothing but pointing it out given the roster and coaching situation is entirely valid.

If they play well, which they should, it doesn’t matter.

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not going back and forth about this.

tfw you tell Jets fans to “get over it” when they point out that we took Jamal Adams over Patrick Mahomes, but you also have 12 posts in a single thread defending the Browns QB

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Change the names to Darnold and Bell and everybody says non-issue. Sure, it sounds company man af if Johnson were angling for something besides just plain off the team, but since he isn't, what do you want Mayfield to say? The same thing, but in the more diplomatic language of bland cliche? That's not the kind of guy he is and not the kind of quarterback anybody really wants. It would be a whole other thing if he was involving himself in a teammate's contract dispute.

Well, Darnold wouldn't say that. That's the difference.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If say Trenton Cannon were demanding a trade, because boo hoo he's third string, I would ABSOLUTELY want Darnold to say exactly the same thing.  Be here if you want, don't if you don't, up to you, but we (the Jets) are moving forward with the guys who want to be here and want to win with THIS organization, so either be here, or shut up and get out of our way!".

Yeah, but it's not about what the fans want. It's about other guys in the locker room. The point of the article is that other Browns players didn't like what he said and confronted him about it.

• Upvote 2