The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

On 8/1/2019 at 5:48 AM, RobR said:

Would you trade Darnold straight up for Mayfield? 

I know I wouldn't. 

I would. Mayfield has shown in college and now in the pros to be a much better, higher caliber of quarterback than Sam Darnold.

There isnt a year that you can point to where you can honestly  "Look at this year...Sam was the better QB".

Based on that fact, it's clearly being a homer as to why you wouldnt trade straight up for a QB who for years has shown to be the more explosive and more consistent QB on the field. 

If I asked the question "why wouldnt you" I believe that the only answers you would provide would be based not in actual production but potential...such as "he's only 22 years old etc..."

The answers wouldnt be based on Sam actually being a better QB...because he's never shown to be a better QB at any time. 

Could it happen? Sure, but that's not the case right now. Sam Darnold isna bottom 10 QB in the league right now, which isnt bad for a 2nd year guy. Mayfield is a top 10-15 QB in this league after his rookie season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I would. Mayfield has shown in college and now in the pros to be a much better, higher caliber of quarterback than Sam Darnold.

There isnt a year that you can point to where you can honestly  "Look at this year...Sam was the better QB".

Based on that fact, it's clearly being a homer as to why you wouldnt trade straight up for a QB who for years has shown to be the more explosive and more consistent QB on the field. 

If I asked the question "why wouldnt you" I believe that the only answers you would provide would be based not in actual production but potential...such as "he's only 22 years old etc..."

The answers wouldnt be based on Sam actually being a better QB...because he's never shown to be a better QB at any time. 

Could it happen? Sure, but that's not the case right now. Sam Darnold isna bottom 10 QB in the league right now, which isnt bad for a 2nd year guy. Mayfield is a top 10-15 QB in this league after his rookie season.

I think Sam will be a much better pro than he was a college QB.  Some guys just don’t reveal themselves as much, particularly as 20 year olds, and it isn’t until they’ve had a couple years of maturity and GOOD coaching (unlike 2018 for Sam) that things start to click.  Nobody anticipated the trajectory of Tom Brady after his years at Michigan.  There was obviously a lot of runway still left for him.

In comparing Sam to Baker I have no idea who will be better long term, but I definitely get the sense that Baker is closer to his ceiling than Sam is to his ceiling. (No, that’s not a height joke :P )

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, Jets723 said:

But you have to take into account that Baker has better protection and weapons. Also is two years older so he might of been more NFL ready in year 1 but I doubt that’s gonna last.  Don’t get me wrong Baker was impressive but Sam can do more things IMO and has the higher ceiling.  Sam was great in the second half despite no oline and no weapons outside of a rookie Herndon and Robby 

And you have to remember for all his production with those weapons he beat one team with a winning record.

• Upvote 2

On 8/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, jetstream23 said:

IMG_7454.thumb.jpg.53f1c5483d7405e8c7f92a6ff808d4e0.jpg

Ha! Is this guy a d-bag or what?

Good quarterback?  Sure.  Maybe even great someday!  But today....he's a complete douche. lol

If he was the Jets QB (and almost was) you’d be eating this up for breakfast lunch and dinner. Everyone here would. 

Let him be who he is, I say. It’s fun and nice change for the NFL and Kraft era of snootery

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Not surprising.

A WWE wrestler, as phony as it gets.  Thinks being a tool is charisma.  And of course he has a show coming on about athletes chugging beer.  Like Baker at a BB game.  He broke down the video of Baker chugging his beer.  

Cool

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If he was the Jets QB (and almost was) you’d be eating this up for breakfast lunch and dinner. Everyone here would. 

Let him be who he is, I say. It’s fun and nice change for the NFL and Kraft era of snootery

not me.  not a chance in hell.  you remember how Sanchez got killed for that whole GQ white t-shirt thing?  this is worse.

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yeah, I don't think everyone here would. Don't see an abundant amount of love for Jamal Adams, say. The big talkers here have always had their detractors: Keyshawn, Gastineau, etc. Mayfield would've been no different. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, I don't think everyone here would. Don't see an abundant amount of love for Jamal Adams, say. The big talkers here have always had their detractors: Keyshawn, Gastineau, etc. Mayfield would've been no different. 

True, but Baker’s a winner. And he has legendary moxie. That’s an intoxicating combo the majority of fans would get behind. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/3/2019 at 6:29 AM, Villain The Foe said:

You have a point. There is an argument to be made, but you take it to another brown colored level. 

Most scout and analysts have agreed that Darnold was the better prospect. 

I guess you think they're all Jet homers? 

RG3 was better than Luck after one year. Was he the better prospect? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

True, but Baker’s a winner. And he has legendary moxie. That’s an intoxicating combo the majority of fans would get behind. 

ahh yes, the "majority"...

certain types of fans vs. certain types of fans.. 

for me, if Baker was a Jet I'd be like

" he's a dick, but he's our dick and he sure can play football "

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's an easy assumption to make but not true.  I'm not sure I want my QB doing photo shoots with dogs and tigers, and clowning around as much as this guy.  Listen, I get it....he's played great, hasn't gotten in trouble off the field (except for running from the cops in college), hasn't gotten in trouble on the field (again, except for college with crotch grabbing, etc.).  I just think this kind of stuff is cart-before-the-horse.  Win some more games, make the playoffs, then you chug beers on TV and hang out shirtless with tigers, showing your underwear while leaning on a car with suicide doors intentionally left open to show how cool they are.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's an easy assumption to make but not true.  I'm not sure I want my QB doing photo shoots with dogs and tigers, and clowning around as much as this guy.  Listen, I get it....he's played great, hasn't gotten in trouble off the field (except for running from the cops in college), hasn't gotten in trouble on the field (again, except for college with crotch grabbing, etc.).  I just think this kind of stuff is cart-before-the-horse.  Win some more games, make the playoffs, then you chug beers on TV and hang out shirtless with tigers, showing your underwear while leaning on a car with suicide doors intentionally left open to show how cool they are.

I understand. If I was a Browns lifer I would be nervous fro Baker cause now he has to deliver. I’m sure he will tho. 

Theres a lot of former nfl QBs, including our Namath, who had social media existed in the capacity it does today, would have been equally as pompous I’d wager. 

Regardless it’s all white noise. Sundays are all that matter. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What has he won?

National Championship? 

Beat one team with a winning record in the NFL? 

YouTube hits? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think part of the motivation is, the city seems to want a personality to embrace now that LeBron is gone and that crazy fan base has bought into him.  And in addition to the brazen stuff, he's also doing a lot of community stuff and it balances out.

We don't need that personality here and with 9 major sports teams, we're not collectively living and dying for 3 teams--only one in each sport.

If he succeeds he will own that city 1000X more than LeBron ever did.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What has he won?

Beat one team with a winning record in the NFL? 

To be fair, going from 1-15 and 0-16 to where they ended up last year, regardless of who he beat, for him to go 7-7 is a pretty significant jump. (I know, he didn't start the Jet game so he was technically 6-7 but still).  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

To be fair, going from 1-15 and 0-16 to where they ended up last year, regardless of who he beat, for him to go 7-7 is a pretty significant jump. (I know, he didn't start the Jet game so he was technically 6-7 but still).  

To be fair, without Hugh as HC they aren't a 1 win over 2 seasons team.

like Kotites Jets, there's more to the record than the numbers indicate 

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

To be fair, without Hugh as HC they aren't a 1 win over 2 seasons team.

like Kotites Jets, there's more to the record than the numbers indicate 

Ok so blame Hugh for the losses and don't give Baker any credit for the wins.

1 win in 2 years to 7 wins is a big jump regardless of who was coaching.

I get it, you don't like the guy but he did some good things last year.

I'm a Sam guy but I think we're going to be dealing with Mayfield for years.  He's not Johnny Football.  

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I'm a Sam guy but I think we're going to be dealing with Mayfield for years.  He's not Johnny Football.  

I said he won one game against a winning team.  Am I wrong? 

I like the guy.  He beat 6 losing teams, I'm sorry if I don't anoint him off of that.  And I can't ignore how pathetic Jackson was as a coach.  That he didn't start Mayfield until Tyrod was injured says it all.  You're also not giving Williams any credit.  

Just saying there was more involved than just Mayfield playing QB.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I said he won one game against a winning team.  Am I wrong? 

I like the guy.  He beat 6 losing teams, I'm sorry if I don't anoint him off of that.  And I can't ignore how pathetic Jackson was as a coach.  That he didn't start Mayfield until Tyrod was injured says it all.  You're also not giving Williams any credit.  

Just saying there was more involved than just Mayfield playing QB.  

I’m not anointing him anything either but I have to give him a ton of credit for getting that franchise 7 wins after the crap that they were. 

Not putting an exact percentage, not saying he was 64.7% or 73.8% or even 50% responsible for those wins. 

I’m giving him a lot of credit for turning things around.  You can choose not to, it’s just opinions. 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You have a point. There is an argument to be made, but you take it to another brown colored level. 

Most scout and analysts have agreed that Darnold was the better prospect. 

I guess you think they're all Jet homers? 

RG3 was better than Luck after one year. Was he the better prospect? 

Here's the problem with this brown color level assumption.

#1. I was high in Mayfield since 2015 and was the first person to write about him on this forum in the end of that year.

This is even before those same scouts had him as a 3rd round talent during that Mahomes Watson draft, which is why he didn't come out.

My point here is that the brown color comment was just a weak dig given that i was clearly a fan of his years before him even making it as a pro.

2ndly I was also in disagreement with those same scouts this entire time as well. So why cant I say what I said and it just be what I've "always said"?

Im not playing the role of a johnny come lately, so no need to place brown colored glasses on me.

I was talking about Baker being special IMO here for years. 

Many fans here didn't start speaking about Darnold until that Rosebowl game put him on the map. I didnt hear and Darnold talk before that. 

On 7/31/2019 at 11:48 PM, RobR said:

Would you trade Darnold straight up for Mayfield? 

I know I wouldn't. 

I think Baker is a better QB and always has been. I wouldnt make the trade though. I think Darnold has more potential than Baker but can't say if I'd bet money that he'll ever be a better QB.  At end of the day though, I like Darnold and I like rooting for him. Baker not so much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

That's how hate works.

Haters hate. ??