Jump to content
Skeptable

The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

Recommended Posts

Never liked Baker ... His antics are diametrically opposed to the traditional sportsmanship rules I respect.

 

Comes across as self serving, petulant, immature and obnoxious ...there are principles beyond the self that make the person a greater being.

 

He did have a great statistical rookie outing surrounded by great talent that got even better this off-season.

 

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here's the problem with this brown color level assumption.

#1. I was high in Mayfield since 2015 and was the first person to write about him on this forum in the end of that year.

This is even before those same scouts had him as a 3rd round talent during that Mahomes Watson draft, which is why he didn't come out.

My point here is that the brown color comment was just a weak dig given that i was clearly a fan of his years before him even making it as a pro.

2ndly I was also in disagreement with those same scouts this entire time as well. So why cant I say what I said and it just be what I've "always said"?

Im not playing the role of a johnny come lately, so no need to place brown colored glasses on me.

I was talking about Baker being special IMO here for years. 

Many fans here didn't start speaking about Darnold until that Rosebowl game put him on the map. I didnt hear and Darnold talk before that. 

You said anyone that wouldn't trade Darnold for Baker was obviously being a homer. 

That's straight up Raider90210 BS. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

Darnold was still the #1 prospect on the majority of boards until Dorsey shocked everyone and selected Mayfield. Rosen was generally considered to be #1A, but had a late drop. Mayfield, on the other hand, had a late rise. Josh Allen was never considered higher than #3. 

The leak from the Jets' camp was that they weren't going to let Mayfield get past the #3 pick. Whether they were floating a trial balloon to gauge fan reaction at that point, as Rosen was a popular choice here, or they were sending a threat to Cleveland who were rumored at the time to be considering taking Barkley with their #1 pick and Mayfield with their #4, who knows? But the supposition was that Darnold was going to be gone in the first two picks. Either #1 overall to Cleveland, or #2 after the Browns took Barkley. I think they were legitimately surprised that Darnold fell to them, and if the Giants did like Darnold better than Barkley, they would've been deciding between Allen and Rosen. I'm sure they were pleased. 

Definitely agree the Jets we’re pleased. When they made the trade I don’t think they thought they were getting Darnold.

what the heck do I know though? I loved Mayfield, but to be honest, if I were Dorsey, I’d have taken Barkley first, then any QB with the 4th pick. I had no clue which QB would be best.

That just shows how much smarter Dorsey is then me, lol. He got Mayfield, Ward, and Chubb. That’s why I post on a message board and he GMs.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Never liked Baker ... His antics are diametrically opposed to the traditional sportsmanship rules I respect.

 

Comes across as self serving, petulant, immature and obnoxious ...there are principles beyond the self that make the person a greater being.

 

He did have a great statistical rookie outing surrounded by great talent that got even better this off-season.

 

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How do you feel about Jay Cutler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Definitely agree the Jets we’re pleased. When they made the trade I don’t think they thought they were getting Darnold.

what the heck do I know though? I loved Mayfield, but to be honest, if I were Dorsey, I’d have taken Barkley first, then any QB with the 4th pick. I had no clue which QB would be best.

That just shows how much smarter Dorsey is then me, lol. He got Mayfield, Ward, and Chubb. That’s why I post on a message board and he GMs.

Dorsey has the confidence and guts to go for it. Macc was too unsure to ever go away from consensus in first round. That’s what makes Dorsey great. He is playing to win.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Never liked Baker ... His antics are diametrically opposed to the traditional sportsmanship rules I respect.

 

Comes across as self serving, petulant, immature and obnoxious ...there are principles beyond the self that make the person a greater being.

 

He did have a great statistical rookie outing surrounded by great talent that got even better this off-season.

 

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What NFL sportsmanship rules?

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

If you haven't seen the talent out of Darnold to be a SB winning QB, I don't know what you've been watching.  He reminds me of a smaller Big Ben - same ability to extend plays to throw rather than run, big arm that can make off-schedule and off-balance throws when he does, fits throws into tight windows.  And his mental makeup is outstanding; one thing that's clear by now is that he bounces back well from mistakes - in fact, he seems to lock in more when he screws up.  His biggest problem last year was inconsistency - he'd mix elite level play with bonehead mistakes - which is exactly the problem you want to see from a young QB with limited starting experience (because it's one that's fixable with experience).  A consistently mediocre QB is never going to be great.  A guy who mixes great play with terrible play has a real chance to be great, depending on if he can overcome and limit the mistakes.  And Darnold's last four games gave everyone reason to believe that he could do just that

Stop changing my words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What NFL sportsmanship rules?

See the likes of Jerry Rice, Curtis Martin, Warren Moon, Steve Largent for more information on this topic. Mayfield is more in the TO/OB conversation.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

See the likes of Jerry Rice, Curtis Martin, Warren Moon, Steve Largent for more information on this topic. Mayfield is more in the TO/OB conversation.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

The only thing I see is that they're all either HOFer's or future HOFer's

At the end of every game I've seen the opposing team shake Mayfield's hand and vice versa. Prime example of sportsmanship. 

 

🧐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The only thing I see is that they're all either HOFer's or future HOFer's

At the end of every game I've seen the opposing team shake Mayfield's hand and vice versa. Prime example of sportsmanship. 

 

I guess you agree with cock grabbing and taunting his former head coach amongst other sportsmanlike gestures ?

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I guess you agree with cock grabbing and taunting his former head coach amongst other sportsmanlike gestures ?

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Hold on just a minute there. 

The cock grabbing was because when the captains of each team went out before the game, for the—you know—sportsman like pregame handshake, the d-bags “Captains” on Kansas decided beforehand they were going to do the “psyche” fake handshake and purposely never shook his hand. Those pieces of sh*t deserved to get crushed in the game and THEN when they were taunting him from the other sideline after being beaten badly, they even more so deserved to have their noses rubbed in it. 

That was totally warranted. F*ck those dudes. Don’t shake his hand, taunt after getting crushed, you get the cock grab.

Hue was just an a-hole that didn’t get along with Baker and kind of dumped on him on the way out after getting fired. Baker is competitive and didn’t appreciate Hue’s comments or their relationship. 

Football, like life, is tough. Get a helmet.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hold on just a minute there.  The cock grabbing was because when the captains of each team went out before the game, for the—you know—sportsman like pregame handshake, the d-bags “Captains” on Kansas decided beforehand they were going to do the “psyche” fake handshake and purposely never shook his hand. Those pieces of sh*t deserved to get crushed in the game and THEN when they were taunting him from the other sideline after being beaten badly, they even more so deserved to have their noses rubbed in it.  That was totally warranted. F*ck those dudes. Don’t shake his hand, taunt after getting crushed, you get the cock grab. Hue was just an a-hole that didn’t get along with Baker and kind of dumped on him on the way out after getting fired. Baker is competitive and didn’t appreciate Hue’s comments or their relationship. 

Football, like life, is tough. Get a helmet.

 

 

 

 

Grown ups know how to act.in situations like the ones mentioned above ... With class. Baker acted like a 5 year old in both cases instead of rising above the situation like the guys I mentioned earlier would have. Reacting to aholes with immature gestures simply put him on the same ahole level. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I guess you agree with cock grabbing and taunting his former head coach amongst other sportsmanlike gestures ?

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Dude grabbed is manhood at his former head coach? No

Did he taunt his former head coach? No 🤥lol. Yeah, taunting is too strong a word, but I see your point.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:45 AM, Villain The Foe said:

What NFL sportsmanship rules?

He stared down his old coach while jogging down the field after beating his new divisional rival team because when Hue was fired he decided to go on a media tour and throw the Browns under the bus while also making a comment  regarding his feelings on the Mayfield draft pick, that Hue "Wasnt really part of alot of those decisions"....I wouldnt consider Baker's reaction unsportsmanlike. He didnt have words with him, and then after the game he shook Hue's hand. 

 

During the Kansas game, No matter the situation, he shouldnt have grabbed his balls. I'll agree with you here. However, the point here is that you took it out of context. It was the Kansas players who began with the unsportamanlike activity by not shaking hands at the beginning of the game while having 2 honorary children with them at the coin toss (what type of leadership does that show by Kansas players turning a coin toss into a hostile environment with children standing right there???), after the coin toss Kansas players entering his personal space to have words with him during warmups. But that wasnt enough for them, they decided to get malicious, by on 2 occasions issuing late hits when the ball was clearly out of his hand, with the purpose of hurting/injuring him...which on one of those plays they did hurt him. So, Baker did what he always does. He continued to score.

So after running up the score, he grabbed his balls and let them know that they were going to take home this L anyway. 

He shouldnt have done it but you took this clearly out of context. What worse is this, do you know why Kansas was pissed? Because the week leading up to the game Baker answered a question and his answer, though not trash talking, could have been interpreted as if he was looking past them and on to bigger games. And though I can see how they viewed that as disrespect, their job was to then show it on the field...not get blown the hell out in front of their home crowd while taking cheap shots and not shaking hands in front of children who were the honorary captains for the game. 

If this was Sam Darnold, folks would be talking about how he's the baddest motherf**king 22 year old on the planet. And guess what? Darnold WOULD have been the baddest motherf**king 22 year old on the planet. Then afterwards, you simply tell him that this is national television, and never do that again because that's what folks will remember, they wont remember all of the other stuff leading up to that gesture

That's the case right now. 

Again, he shouldnt have done it, but now other teams know to shake his hand and dont attempt to purposely hurt him on the field. Dude is surrounded by alphas. He's protecting himself. 

There's a clear difference between trash talk and evil intentions. C'mon

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker just did a real cool thing, signing tons of autographs and doing selfies for guys in the armed forces, all after hours on the field. I like him for that. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dude is the Deion Sanders of quarterbacks.

Yeah, you hear this all the time. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, you hear this all the time. 

haha...

 

 

hahahaha

ahahhha

 

lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Grown ups know how to act.in situations like the ones mentioned above ... With class. Baker acted like a 5 year old in both cases instead of rising above the situation like the guys I mentioned earlier would have. Reacting to aholes with immature gestures simply put him on the same ahole level. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Who said he’s not an a-hole. That’s his persona. He’s a fiery competitive guy. You mess with him he’ll mess right back, but walk the walk first. 

And can we please stop comparing every athlete to the most reverential players ever. 

There is only one Jerry Rice or Derek Jeter or Mother Theresa. 

Most of these guys aren’t virtuous Saints. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Who said he’s not an a-hole. That’s his persona. He’s a fiery competitive guy. You mess with him he’ll mess right back, but walk the walk first. 

And can we please stop comparing every athlete to the most reverential players ever. 

There is only one Jerry Rice or Derek Jeter or Mother Theresa. 

Most of these guys aren’t virtuous Saints. 

All this is true...but the nice guy also gets the hate.  Not all these guys fit the loud, brash NY azzhole type either.  

Enjoy them both, and too bad if your particular idol doesn’t fit your closed little ideal of what a player should act like on your chosen team.  After all, the NFL is a business, right?  You can always shop in another store if you don’t like the staff or the merchandise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

All this is true...but the nice guy also gets the hate.  Not all these guys fit the loud, brash NY azzhole type either.  

Enjoy them both, and too bad if your particular idol doesn’t fit your closed little ideal of what a player should act like on your chosen team.  After all, the NFL is a business, right?  You can always shop in another store if you don’t like the staff or the merchandise.

Sam and Baker are diametrically opposed personalities. 

I like them both. MUCH happier that Sam is our QB and I truly believe he’ll be the better QB but Baker is fun and will be damn good. 

And I get that some folks hate Baker’s act but I think he’s entertaining AND a great QB. 

Going to be a fun 12 plus years. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Sam and Baker are diametrically opposed personalities. 

I like them both. MUCH happier that Sam is our QB and I truly believe he’ll be the better QB but Baker is fun and will be damn good. 

And I get that some folks hate Baker’s act but I think he’s entertaining AND a great QB. 

Going to be a fun 12 plus years. 

someone mentioned yesterday that WWE icon Stone Cold likes Baker.  I think if Baker was in the WWE, his act would be absolutely perfect!!!  Hell, I'd cheer for him!  and Sam?  well Sam would be so damn boring and would be run out of WWE so quickly that's for sure!

But this is the NFL, not WWE:  I don't want that crap out of my QB, no matter how good he is.  We have been down this road before too many times.  So nice to have Sam as "the face that runs the place"!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 1:59 AM, jgb said:

Dorsey has the confidence and guts to go for it. Macc was too unsure to ever go away from consensus in first round. That’s what makes Dorsey great. He is playing to win.

Fire Macc already. Where do I donate to the billboard?

I can't believe the Jets still won't get rid of this loser. 

Hey, Dorsey is in the  Fork Union Military Academy Sports Hall of Fame.

Can't argue with those bonafides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Really? All I heard is how big 12 QB's are garbage in the NFL along with his height.

Because of that I think that many folks (maybe not you personally) are surprised.

Darnold looks good though. Cant deny that. 

A legit point was that there werent any Big 12 before Baker who made it.  Lets not go full blown martyr, it was fact based.  So yes, a reason to pass on the guy based on history is legit

As is his height

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Baker just did a real cool thing, signing tons of autographs and doing selfies for guys in the armed forces, all after hours on the field. I like him for that. 

If the Jets had drafted Mayfield, I was ready to back that play too although I would have always had the nagging feeling we got the little train that thought he could.

We didn't and I'm sure Browns fans everywhere are hoping the other shoe never drops.

I'm still glad we don't have to go there. At least most of us don't need to go there. 

Image result for little train that thought he could

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 4:45 AM, Villain The Foe said:

What NFL sportsmanship rules?

The type that hopefully we were all taught growing up

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Who said he’s not an a-hole. That’s his persona. He’s a fiery competitive guy. You mess with him he’ll mess right back, but walk the walk first. 

Some guys get called fiery and competitive.  

Until they stumble.  Then they go from competitive to douche bag losers who get killed in the press.  We've seen it plenty of times.  Rex was fiery, confident, competitive etc too.

And most of the times hes messed back, no one messed with him.  Hugh did nothing, said nothing bad about BM.  He didnt just look over at his sideline, thats fanboy nonsense.  His RB didnt mess with him, he just felt the need to call out a teammate who is trying to get a deal done.   No one messed with him when he got drunk and ran from the cops.  He likes playing the tough guy, the underdog role.

If it works for him, fine.  But lets not make it out to the kid just has been in more situations where hes been messed with than any other human being.  Or that turning the other cheek isnt really an option for BM.  Ever

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I guess you agree with cock grabbing

 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who doesn't?

I'm guessing, JF80, that this is your mod application... ? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Some guys get called fiery and competitive.  

Until they stumble.  Then they go from competitive to douche bag losers who get killed in the press.  We've seen it plenty of times.  Rex was fiery, confident, competitive etc too.

And most of the times hes messed back, no one messed with him.  Hugh did nothing, said nothing bad about BM.  He didnt just look over at his sideline, thats fanboy nonsense.  His RB didnt mess with him, he just felt the need to call out a teammate who is trying to get a deal done.   No one messed with him when he got drunk and ran from the cops.  He likes playing the tough guy, the underdog role.

If it works for him, fine.  But lets not make it out to the kid just has been in more situations where hes been messed with than any other human being.  Or that turning the other cheek isnt really an option for BM.  Ever

 

Lol love the hyperbole. 

No one said he’s “been messed with more than any human being”. 

If he stumbles he’ll be dropped like hot trash. 

If he excels people will compare his personality (not talent) to Rogers who is a known (but different kind) of a-hole. Some people aren’t “turn the cheek” type of guys. He’s got a chip on his shoulder and maybe he put it there are maybe it was placed their by his real or perceived enemies. That’s who he is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who doesn't?

left handed or right?

Makes a big difference, you know.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker gets way too much hate for his supposed "bad boy" behavior.  The college stuff is pretty much the same BS a lot of college kids do daily....drinking beer and getting drunk?  How many "good kids" could have gotten caught with the same results? I saw plenty of that all through college....abet, your QB needs to be above that, but that's just my opinion, what else did he do that couldn't be chalked up to a little immaturity?  

He will say exactly what he  thinks, no filter,  but he has to know there will be some blow back.  That's life, but he gets way too much criticism for his courage to be who he is.  Just like Sam, about his good guy persona off the field.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Baker gets way too much hate for his supposed "bad boy" behavior.  The college stuff is pretty much the same BS a lot of college kids do daily....drinking beer and getting drunk?  How many "good kids" could have gotten caught with the same results? I saw plenty of that all through college....abet, your QB needs to be above that, but that's just my opinion, what else did he do that couldn't be chalked up to a little immaturity?  

He will say exactly what he  thinks, no filter,  but he has to know there will be some blow back.  That's life, but he gets way too much criticism for his courage to be who he is.  Just like Sam, about his good guy persona off the field.

Ironically, there are too many folks who hold this exaggerated standard for a public figure, yet I would bet my bottom dollar that there are folks on this forum that has a record, been arrested, fought in a bar, got pissy drunk in public, played a team sport and were probably a douche on the field etc. 

 

The level folks like to hold these guys to I wouldnt be surprised if some of these folks dont hold themselves to that standard, because if they did they'd probably be as successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Lol love the hyperbole. 

No one said he’s “been messed with more than any human being”. 

If he stumbles he’ll be dropped like hot trash. 

If he excels people will compare his personality (not talent) to Rogers who is a known (but different kind) of a-hole. Some people aren’t “turn the cheek” type of guys. He’s got a chip on his shoulder and maybe he put it there are maybe it was placed their by his real or perceived enemies. That’s who he is.

 

You're right, no said he's messed with more than any other human.  I did.  Excuse making at its finest.  He's not a dickhead, he must pushes back when pushed.  Funny thing is this offseason, his who,e time in the public he's had to push back more than any other player I can remember.  But it's hyperbole? No it's not, it's the image he's cultivated.  I get it.  

Just like no one said if he stumbles he'll be hit trash.  I have said that if he stumbles he'll go from firey to self centered prick in a nanosecond. It's happened too many times before

its amazing how far the fans need to go to protect a Cleveland Browns player on a Jet board with Jets fans.  Didn't say one thing disparaging about him, especially of himself game.  I like the way he plays.  I just don't like him.  Simple and my choice.  No one is criticizing anyone for liking him.  

Time to clam down with these defensive posts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...