The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Baker Mayfield is the guy everyone hated back in high school.  The "athlete" trying to be cool drinking Bush Lite because it aint about the taste to fit in because everyone hates his stupid ugly face.  He's the guy that drinks 3 beers, takes his shirt off and is running around the party flexed out of his mind talking about how he could take anyone at the party.  After he sips his 4th beer for the next 2 hours, he continues his shirtless parade and his jeans now sag below his ass.  Feeling himself because nobody stepped to his many challenges for the past 4 hours, he finally works up the liquid courage to actually pick a fight.  Then, when a real tough guy approaches him, Baker quickly runs behind his biggest and toughest friend for safety, jumping up and down screaming hold me back, hold me back, you dont want this!!! ..., knowing deep down inside he wants none of what this dude would do to him.  

Baker Mayfield is the very definition of the word, bitch.

..yeah...except for the part where he makes 32.68 million.

Rich bitch. Very ,rich, bitch...wealthy whore

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Interesting, because when I think Darnold, I think "Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson", in a very similar way as I think of "Elway, Blackledge, Kelly, Eason, O'Brian, Marino" or "Manning, Rivers, Rothlisburger, Losman, Sorgi (just kidding)".  I think about the class, not an individual, when it comes to who they should be compared against in their future careers.

I'm not worried about if Mayfield lights it up this year.  I care if Darnold lights it up this year.  Sub-3,000 yard, sub-60%, sub-25 TD seasons won't cut it going forward.  I'm very interested in seeing the greatness people project for Darnold start to show itself in production and wins.  Only thing I care about Baker is seeing Darnold out-shoot him on the field.

They are linked because the Browns passes on Darnold. Same way O'Brien and Marino were linked because the Jets passed on Marino

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

At least Brady had the decency to keep his yap shut until he actually did something in the league. This midget douchebag is a loser by his own standard and still runs his yap. Because hes a false confidence punk that has a need to validate himself. Its gonna be fun watching the dumpster fire the Browns become the millisecond they face adversity. 

Not shocked the guy voted "biggest douchebag in College Football" is your favorite player. LOL.

And your rebuttal about Baker not playing D while ignoring legit arguments is typical. LOL. Pathetic.  I know, I'm a Darnold "ball washer", right? This is a Jets fan site, if you dont like it, go back to BigBlew.com or maybe try to find a Browns Website. I hear that most of Cleveland has the interwebs nowadays. 

20190820_200924.thumb.jpg.0ea650c571b9eb7ea0791ff6fc37f809.jpg

?

Hmmmm, You're what? 45 years old? This reads like something written by a 12 year old.

Sad...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

The treatment of this Patriot era is horrendous

The stain they’ve left on the league ... they should be vilified to the highest extreme possible ... instead they are celebrated !?!?!?!?!?

WTF !!!!!!!!

When did I enter crazy-land ????????????????

It makes no sense that nobody calls those pathetic POS’s to answer for their actions

Not this guy ... i preach loud ... i preach proud ... calling their wrongdoing out wherever and whenever i have a chance

F those cheating d**shbags!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, DLJ said:

Mayfield talks too much. Much too much. Imagine if the Browns took Darnold and we ended up with Mayfield? The New York media would have a field day with his mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Media loved Rex and his mouth... until he started losing. Baker would still be in the honeymoon phase if he performed at the same level in NY as he did in CLE.

• Upvote 2

I loved Mayfield coming out of OKLA and was 95% certain he was going to be the
Jets QB.  I understand due to his height he plays with a chip on his shoulder
to prove doubters wrong.  But he really needs to keep that mentality to himself
and stop "commenting" on everything and drawing attention to himself.  He's a
second year QB with a ton to prove on a team that hasn't been over .500 in years.
On top of that I don't understand how CLE isn't playing him in the pre-season?
He's not Brady, Brees or Rodgers who has seen every coverage and doesn't need
to expose themselves to injury.  He needs reps to continue to learn the position

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, KRL said:

I loved Mayfield coming out of OKLA and was 95% certain he was going to be the
Jets QB.  I understand due to his height he plays with a chip on his shoulder
to prove doubters wrong.  But he really needs to keep that mentality to himself
and stop "commenting" on everything and drawing attention to himself.  He's a
second year QB with a ton to prove on a team that hasn't been over .500 in years.

Same boat here. 

I don't mind mouthy players for the most part, but I think Mayfield puts his $.02 in places where it just doesn't belong. I'm much more tolerant of Jamal Adams' self-promotion than I am of Mayfield's commenting on teammates' business, or another player's draft status. 

I think his attitude is a good fit in Cleveland because of their sorry history since their re-boot. He brings the swagger, there's no doubt about that. I do think the whole franchise is buying into the hype way too much, way too fast, and that that can (and likely will) come back to bite them, though. I also think the Jets have a pretty sorry history and many of our team's fatalistic fans would've welcomed Baker's mouth, too. But I also know this fanbase is capable of serious backlash against brash players (Adams, Keyshawn, Gastineau), and that Mayfield would've experienced some of that here, too. He's said in interviews that he reads all his press and uses the negative to motivate himself. Can't imagine he'd have time to play football trying to keep up with his coverage in the NY market. 

While I would've been very happy with Mayfield, who I also expected to be a Jet, I find myself very, very happy with Sam's quiet confidence and lack of GQ interviews. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Same boat here. 

I don't mind mouthy players for the most part, but I think Mayfield puts his $.02 in places where it just doesn't belong. I'm much more tolerant of Jamal Adams' self-promotion than I am of Mayfield's commenting on teammates' business, or another player's draft status. 

I think his attitude is a good fit in Cleveland because of their sorry history since their re-boot. He brings the swagger, there's no doubt about that. I do think the whole franchise is buying into the hype way too much, way too fast, and that that can (and likely will) come back to bite them, though. I also think the Jets have a pretty sorry history and many of our team's fatalistic fans would've welcomed Baker's mouth, too. But I also know this fanbase is capable of serious backlash against brash players (Adams, Keyshawn, Gastineau), and that Mayfield would've experienced some of that here, too. He's said in interviews that he reads all his press and uses the negative to motivate himself. Can't imagine he'd have time to play football trying to keep up with his coverage in the NY market. 

While I would've been very happy with Mayfield, who I also expected to be a Jet, I find myself very, very happy with Sam's quiet confidence and lack of GQ interviews. 

I don't like mouthy players myself.  I prefer cool professionalism in my athletes over grandiose bloviating bravado.  Curtis Martin > Keyshawn Johnson, style-wise.

Sam is a clear winner in that category for me over Baker.

With that said, what I also don't like are Fans who cheer on and embrace mouthiness or bravado when it's "their" guy, and in the next breath denounce it like an frigid 85 year old Nun when it's a NY Giant, or a guy they have an inferiority/anxiety complex over.

Either be against it or not, nothing wrong with having an opinion either way. 

But for crying out loud, at least be consistent.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't like mouthy players myself.  I prefer cool professionalism in my athletes over grandiose bloviating bravado. 

Sam is a clear winning in that category for me over Baker.

With that said, what I also don't like are Fans who cheer on and embrace mouthiness or bravado when it's "their" guy, and in the next breath denounce it like an frigid 85 year old Nun when it's a NY Giant, or a guy they have an inferiority/anxiety complex over.

Either be against it or not, nothing wrong with having an opinion either way. 

But for crying out loud, at least be consistent.  

I'd like to think I am consistent. It's not Baker's mouthiness that bothers me, it's his subject matter. I thought I was pretty clear. I don't mind the self-promotion from any player who's also backing it up on the field, and I'd enjoy it from Mayfield if he was a Jet. But even if he was a Jet, I'd cringe at him discussing Daniel Jones' draft status and calling him a loser. And I don't like self-promotion from players who don't back it up, regardless of who they play for. Kyle Wilson waving his finger when a ball flies six feet over the WR he happened to be "covering" comes to mind.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd like to think I am consistent. It's not Baker's mouthiness that bothers me, it's his subject matter. I thought I was pretty clear.

The post quoted you, but was not aimed AT you.  Quoting your post simply gave me the opportunity to more clearly express my own view on the topic.

I don't mind the self-promotion from any player who's also backing it up on the field, and I'd enjoy it from Mayfield if he was a Jet. But even if he was a Jet, I'd cringe at him discussing Daniel Jones' draft status and calling him a loser.

As would I.

And I don't like self-promotion from players who don't back it up, regardless of who they play for.

I agree.  With that said, he had an exceptional rookie year, far exceeding our own QB so far.....and we have Fans here who have already declared Darnold as good or better than Joe Namath.  

Kyle Wilson waving his finger when a ball flies six feet over the WR he happened to be "covering" comes to mind.  

Ugh.

Seems like the folks over at GQ were looking for a story, so they took things out of context, combined multiple conversations while omitting things that would set the proper context in order to get that story. This wouldnt be a first in sports Journalism.

Good to hear that Mayfield personally reached out to Jones to set the record straight. Seems like Mayfield is just a competitor and football fanatic...not a hater. 

59 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Seems like the folks over at GQ were looking for a story, so they took things out of context, combined multiple conversations while omitting things that would set the proper context in order to get that story. This wouldnt be a first in sports Journalism.

Good to hear that Mayfield personally reached out to Jones to set the record straight. Seems like Mayfield is just a competitor and football fanatic...not a hater. 

two comments:

1.  WTF is with the mustache?  creeepy!  haha

2.  love the new avatar!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Yep

A smaller market like Cleveland is the perfect spot

Im not too sure we can even call Cleveland a small market. This isnt the 90's. Anything Mayfield does, such as hold conversations about the draft in April ends up being a national story in August. 

There is no such thing as smaller markets in that regard now with the internet and social media. Mayfield is probably the most covered QB in the NFL right now, and he plays for "those" Cleveland Browns. 

Mayfield could have been a Jet/Giant or a Ram right now and it wouldnt be like there would be "more" coverage. Everything the guy does attracts attention, and with this latest story we can add to that, everything he doesnt do attracts attention. Journalist dont make up stories for small market QB's. That's 90's rhetoric. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Jet Nut said:

Baker Mayfield rips Giants' selection of Daniel Jones: 'Blows my mind'

It appears as if a little of Odell Beckham Jr. is rubbing off on Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, who recently took an unprovoked shot at the New York Giants and rookie quarterback Daniel Jones.

While sitting down with GQ Magazine, Mayfield happened to catch a spot on SportsCenter about the Giants and Jones, which interrupted the questioning and led to some faulty criticism.

“I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones. It blows my mind,” Mayfield said. “Some people overthink it. That’s where people go wrong. They forget you’ve gotta win.”

Mayfield was speaking of Jones’ 17-19 record at Duke, which was hindered greatly by the lack of NFL quality talent around him. It by no means defines Jones as a player — which has been evident this summer — but clearly Mayfield needed to get his shots in.

The irony, of course, is that Mayfield is a “loser” at the NFL level with a 6-7 record, while his newest receiver has done nothing but lose since entering the NFL (save for 2016, which was an anomaly that ended with Beckham’s worst career game and a punched hole in the Lambeau Field wall).

But Mayfield is clearly feeling himself. Despite a recent history of failure, the Browns are riding high this year as the hype train is already off the tracks. However, why that makes Mayfield comfortable enough to stick his nose in another man’s business and rip a kid he doesn’t even know is unclear — sometimes arrogance just likes to hear itself.

The Giants and Browns don’t play in 2019, but they will in 2020. And that will most certainly be a game worth circling on your calendars.

5B4EB206-D43A-4F54-94F8-73C8EB6D14D4.thumb.jpeg.c1f66ab71de7c7fbf3353a16d9107841.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

5B4EB206-D43A-4F54-94F8-73C8EB6D14D4.thumb.jpeg.c1f66ab71de7c7fbf3353a16d9107841.jpeg

Since Baker has been playing with Cleveland he leads the league in INTs.

Hes what, 1 of 8 against winning teams?

Grab your balls, keep saying stupid shlt to get your name out there and people turn name recognition into stardom.  

Until it all eventually falls apart, we'll see

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Since Baker has been playing with Cleveland he leads the league in INTs.

Hes what, 1 of 8 against winning teams?

Grab your balls, keep saying stupid shlt to get your name out there and people turn name recognition into stardom.  

Until it all eventually falls apart, we'll see

But he looks so cool running the entire length of the field swinging his arms around like a high school cheerleader when he throws a skinny post that goes for a TD vs. the juggernaut NY Jets. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

But he looks so cool running the entire length of the field swinging his arms around like a high school cheerleader when he throws a skinny post that goes for a TD vs. the juggernaut NY Jets. 

Having the WR/RB/TE make plays and go in for a score to pad your yards and TD numbers is nothing new. But the difference between other QBs and Baker is the same as the difference between every other CB and Kyle Wilson when a QB throws a bad pass which leads to an incompletion. Both are fully insufferable.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Working with a worse coaching staff and less talent (most of the time) O'Brien had a winning record against Marino.  Just say'n.

I don't  know what it was but O'Brien did things against Miami he never did against any other team. 

With the way Baker is playing, I don't  think this is going to be that kind of rivalry.  Baker is looking very ordinary. 

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hey, that's where the credit belongs.  He's marketed himself perfectly.  The little engine that could shlt.  Play college ball in a system, against teams that don't know what defense is and put up bloated numbers along with a big mouth and there the start.  Toss in the nonsensical stuff like he's the most "accurate ever" or he has a cannon for an arm stupidity and the legend started.  

1 of 8 against winning teams, league leading INTs be damned.  

Id love, LOVE to see Darnold wit her that D, Landry, OBJ & Chubb.  Somehow one of QB experts has Darnold 4th from that draft.  Eyes don't tell you anything, imaginary stats do though