The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Uh no.

Darnold got mono and blew up a season.

Mayfield, on the other hand, should be trying to parlay this into a Range Rover, or Cheesecake Factory endorsement deal. Maybe both.

So those two things aren't even remotely similar. (at least that's what I'm going with here)    ?

Ha!  Keep trying.  Don't put down our choir boy Sam Darnold for holding a girls hand under the Bleachers! :P  And you know why the season blew up last year.  Here's a hint....Rhymes with Bike Schakkagnen.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

You’re entitled to that opinion obviously but can you share the basis for it so we can all revel in hope together?

Sure.  He’s more talented than any other in that draft class and will continue to improve while Baker continues to self destruct and Lamar is in between IR visits in 5 years

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sure.  He’s more talented than any other in that draft class and will continue to improve while Baker continues to self destruct and Lamar is in between IR visits in 5 years

Darnold has improved incrementally from year one to year two. But so did Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Now, Darnold did hit 60% completion with a garbage team around him but still not a harbinger of greatness, more of a loose thread of hope IMHO.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Darnold has improved incrementally from year one to year two. But so did Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Now, Darnold did hit 60% competition with a garbage team around him but still not a harbinger of greatness, more of a loose thread of hope IMHO.

Argggh 

Come on man. Progress is progress. To have any progress come out of last year is impressive. This team was decimated and he had mono but yet he improved by every metric. Albeit incrementally.  

You leave @Philc1 alone. it's not often he's the positive guy in the thread. :) 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Darnold has improved incrementally from year one to year two. But so did Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Now, Darnold did hit 60% competition with a garbage team around him but still not a harbinger of greatness, more of a loose thread of hope IMHO.

eyeore.jpg

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Argggh 

Come on man. Progress is progress. To have any progress come out of last year is impressive. This team was decimated and he had mono but yet he improved by every metric. Albeit incrementally.  

I still don’t see the cause to break out the champagne. He incrementally improved. That’s better than going backward. But I’m not convinced yet. Seen this movie too many times.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

I still don’t see the cause to break out the champagne. He incrementally improved. That’s better than going backward. But I’m not convinced yet. Seen this movie too many times.

I'm an alcoholic so I agree with the champaign bit. :P  

I woudk really like to see a legit team around Sam so we could see what's up.  You and I just did this so we don't have to do it again, but I thought I'd point out that Philc1 is actually positive for once. lol 

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Still saying it.  Sam will have the best career out of anyone in his draft class

Trying to be objective here but I think there's a really good chance you're right.  None of those guys are perfect.  The concerns with Lamar are that his career gets cut short with an injury or teams eventually find a way to turn him one-dimensional.  With Allen I think he's raised his floor a tiny bit but he still looks clunky as a pocket passer and for every 75 yard bomb he completes he inexplicably overthrows a guy 7 yards away from him.  Baker is an enigma and if he had a bad season with while surrounded by guys like Chubb, OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Njoku, etc. and being coached by his hand-picked HC then I'm not sure it will get much better for him.

Darnold has flaws, mostly happy feet and the occasional turnover when he forces stuff because his team is almost always trailing.  I haven't seen him screw up too much when games are tied or the Jets have the lead (he went through a stretch of games where they were scoring on virtually every opening drive), but his flaws come out when he's pressing and tries to do too much.

I think Sam is the guy who still has the most well-rounded set of skills and talent, even if Lamar runs better or Allen has the canon arm.  But Sam also seems like the guy who, other than the Mono, has the least risk in all other areas of his game both on and off the field.  JMHO.

If I'm betting on next season I bet on Lamar.  If I'm betting over the next 8-10 seasons I'm betting on Darnold.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm an alcoholic so I agree with the champaign bit. :P  

I woudk really like to see a legit team around Sam so we could see what's up.  You and I just did this so we don't have to do it again, but I thought I'd point out that Philc1 is actually positive for once. lol 

A legit team will require legit coin and legit risks. Like, say, trading for OBJ ;)

3 hours ago, jgb said:

A legit team will require legit coin and legit risks. Like, say, trading for OBJ ;)

ahhhh  I see whatcha did there. :) 

I'm honestly getting more on board with an obj trade. Depending on what it would take of course. Someone said something like "what is it that we're afraid of blowing up exactly?"  That made sense to me.  We've sucked for so long. Why not take some big chances?  I don't disagree. 

I'm not 100% on board but I'm also not as against it as I once was. 

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

ahhhh  I see whatcha did there. :) 

I'm honestly getting more on board with an obj trade. Depending on what it would take of course. Someone said something like "what is it that we're afraid of blowing up exactly?"  That made sense to me.  We've sucked for so long. Why not take some big chances?  I don't disagree. 

I'm not 100% on board but I'm also not as against it as I once was. 

Don't forget my colorful analogy that fearing an OBJ signing is like being afraid to buy a race car because it might knock over the trash can at the end of the driveway.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Argggh 

Argggh? Nice. Spirit of the pirate in that beard. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Say what you will but eeore is never disappointed. It’s the sunshiners who jump from bridges when things turn out bad.

True, but Eeyore is under such a cloud of sadness that when the good things happen he cannot enjoy them.  Those who stand up against Gase or don't believe in Darnold are the ones who won't feel any joy when we win the division.  You'll smile, but behind the scenes you're still going to be sad inside either because you won't accept it as deserved or because you were wrong about the coach or the player.  Don't do this to yourself.  It really makes the ride entirely worth nothing.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

True, but Eeyore is under such a cloud of sadness that when the good things happen he cannot enjoy them.  Those who stand up against Gase or don't believe in Darnold are the ones who won't feel any joy when we win the division.  You'll smile, but behind the scenes you're still going to be sad inside either because you won't accept it as deserved or because you were wrong about the coach or the player.  Don't do this to yourself.  It really makes the ride entirely worth nothing.

SAR I

I promise you that everyone you believe you've tarnished with the "SOJF" label, which is ironic since we wear that with a badge of honor, will be partying just as enthusiastically as you whenever this team starts performing well on the field.

I don't begrudge your optimism, not sure why others' skepticism bothers you so much. Think of it this way, if you're right, you'll have the most epic victory lap in JN history.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, jgb said:

Darnold has improved incrementally from year one to year two. But so did Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. Now, Darnold did hit 60% completion with a garbage team around him but still not a harbinger of greatness, more of a loose thread of hope IMHO.

Sam is going to continue to get better.  We will upgrade the OL and get better WRs

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, CTM said:

I saw this a bit earlier tonight. Aside from being the person talked about, Baker isn't involved in this at all. The reporter got caught making a snide remark about him when he thought he was off air.

ESPN comes off a little OTT here to me. From what I read Baker and this Grossi guy have a bit of a history, and this is just another case of Disney over reacting to something that really isn't that big a deal.

Just an aside here.... I try to be as careful as possible in referring to people the way they prefer, so I hope the following doesn't come off the wrong way. I just don't understand how the term "little person" became a preference. To me it comes off sounding just as derogatory as midget does, no?

There's a vagueness to it also. At what point is a little person just considered short, or a short person  little? Is there a standard? 

41 minutes ago, CTM said:

ESPN Cleveland suspended Grossi indefinitely. He believed he was off the air when he made a comment. After being presented with all the quarterbacks the Browns have passed on in recent years, Grossi responds by saying, “And who do we got? A f---ing midget.”

Oh geez. lol

• Upvote 1