The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

2 things:

Mayfield was right

Mayfield couldn’t give a big enough f*ck what people (fans, media, teammates,  Uncle Luke (honestly who gives a sh*t what his opinion is)) think about what he says. He’s going to lead the way he leads and he’ll either soar or crash and burn but it’ll be on his terms. 

IMHO he’ll be just fine and this will not lead to an implosion. 

I don't think the quote, or Landry's response, mean dick, but you couldn't be more wrong about Mayfield.  The ******* kid had to be begged to stop tracking and responding to negative twitter comments when he was in college.  All this sh*t means way more to him than it does to me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

it's going to be interesting when obj and landry don't get the touches they think they deserve to have.  i suspect mayfield din't get such a high pass complettion rate by only throwing to one ot two receivers.  he's gonna throw it to the open guy.

Whether OBJ gets touches or not, he’s only going to be in Cleveland for a year, 2 at most. 

He made it clear he hates the cold, hates the east coast (well, north east) and wants to play in California. 

He will force himself out.

He’ll be a Ram or a Charger by 2021. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, "Implosion", I get the spin.  

Jets Fans when the media spins something here:  DAMN MEDIA GRRRR!!!!

Jets Fans when another towns media gins up a story:  Wow, we TOTALLY believe that, IMPLOSION!

I mean, I think most posters see it for what it is.

The most notable part of this for me is the contrast between Baker and Darnold, seeing as they were the two QBs we were most likely to end up with. Some like Baker's brash confidence and attitude but I think it's hard to look at how he carries himself and not think he'd be the Rex Ryan of QBs in New York.

Who knows how their careers will end up measuring up over the long haul in terms of production but I can say I'm happy as hell Darnold has an Eli Manning/Derek Jeter type demeanor instead of a Rex Ryan one.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I’m suggesting winning cures all ills.  Qbs can be giant cock bags as long as they win. 

and they usually are right out of the shoot, maybe millennials are different thinking about mom instead of taking the bull by the horns.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think the quote, or Landry's response, mean dick, but you couldn't be more wrong about Mayfield.  The ******* kid had to be begged to stop tracking and responding to negative twitter comments when he was in college.  All this sh*t means way more to him than it does to me.

My point was, while he may care about criticism he will go right back at it. 

He’s not going to become a shrinking violet because of this. 

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

2 things:

Mayfield was right

Mayfield couldn’t give a big enough f*ck what people (fans, media, teammates,  Uncle Luke (honestly who gives a sh*t what his opinion is)) think about what he says. He’s going to lead the way he leads and he’ll either soar or crash and burn but it’ll be on his terms. 

IMHO he’ll be just fine and this will not lead to an implosion. 

Geno Smith didn't give a crap either and got punched in the face by a teammate for his efforts.

been down this road before.  I'll take Darnold.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Difference is the HC could control them... This situation has a Rookie HC who hasn't even spent a full season as a coordinator.

You missed the point. If Mayfield produces they win 10-12 ganes and they can continue twittering or complaining or what ever the fvck it is they do nowadays and it wont matter. Winning cures all and the rookie coach you cite does not have to intervene and comes out smelling like a rose.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

100%

Like I've said, I like Mayfield, don't have a problem at all with most of his, "stuff," but you stay out of your teammates' management-labor issues. Either support your teammate or shut up. 

I mean, this is pretty much the stance every athlete has ever taken. When it comes to "business" you never criticize a teammate (or another player, really) on how they manage their career.

Leveon getting killed by the Steelers offensive line last year is honestly one of the only times I can ever remember players going after a teammate over something like this (which isn't' a great sign, tbh.)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Geno Smith didn't give a crap either and got punched in the face by a teammate for his efforts.

been down this road before.  I'll take Darnold.

This has nothing to do with Darnold v Baker--I'll take Darnold any day every day but you can't compare who and what Geno is/did (he was a punk and tried to scam a teammate out of pocket change after embarrassing him at his hometown charity football camp for under privileged children then mocked the dude about it in front of the locker room) to who Baker is.

Baker is taking a stand about the team.

Geno took a stand over $600.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

The only thing that concerns me about the Browns is when their fans automatically try to shade anything that Darnold does because he's automatically compared to Mayfield.

Not sure why anyone would care what Brown's fans think.

It'll all be settled on the field.

Honestly, I hope they become the Brady/Manning rivalry over the next 12 years.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Also, I wonder what Baker would have said if someone else said the same thing about him and his situation when he wanted to transfer out of Texas Tech. 

He would have told them to f*ck off because he wasn't getting the scholarship he was promised or had earned.

He's not angel but the TT situation was pretty messed up.  Can't blame him for leaving.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, this is pretty much the stance every athlete has ever taken. When it comes to "business" you never criticize a teammate (or another player, really) on how they manage their career.

Leveon getting killed by the Steelers offensive line last year is honestly one of the only times I can ever remember players going after a teammate over something like this (which isn't' a great sign, tbh.)

I think much of it comes from the amount of money Bell got and was leaving on the table.  Bell was right not to let the Steelers ride him like rented mule, but when none of the linemen make half that tag and they are killing themselves every down, it's tough not to want the guy in the trenches.  I think Duke Johnson has a point.  The Browns extended him and dumped Crowell, but they will probably lose interest in him if/when Hunt comes back around mid-season.  They will cut him in 2019 and he will be looking for a new deal at 26 off a down season behind Chubb and Hunt.  Duke has to press the issue now because he will be losing the upper hand shortly.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You missed the point. If Mayfield produces they win 10-12 ganes and they can continue twittering or complaining or what ever the fvck it is they do nowadays and it wont matter. Winning cures all and the rookie coach you cite does not have to intervene and comes out smelling like a rose.

And if they start out 2-5 this doesn't go south? You are making an assumption that they are going to win 10-12 games... maybe that happens... I just don't see that with a Rookie HC that was never even a Coordinator... Just saying... 

A lot of people are anointing the Browns a 10+ win team... Mayfield was 1-6 against teams with winning records... I think Mayfield is going to be a great QB similar to Rodgers... but like Rodgers he needs someone to control his attitude... 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He would have told them to f*ck off because he wasn't getting the scholarship he was promised or had earned.

He's not angel but the TT situation was pretty messed up.  Can't blame him for leaving.

My point was more along the lines of "he would tell people to f*ck off" so he should just "f*ck off" when another player wants to improve his situation by leaving.

Duke Johnson isn't going to play.  Duke Johnson has a limited number of years in the NFL at the most underappreciated position in sports.  I don't blame HIM for wanting to leave.  This has less to do with money and more to do with opportunity.  Just like Baker's TT situation (which I sided with Baker on). 

He should "f*ck off".

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think much of it comes from the amount of money Bell got and was leaving on the table.  Bell was right not to let the Steelers ride him like rented mule, but when none of the linemen make half that tag and they are killing themselves every down, it's tough not to want the guy in the trenches.  I think Duke Johnson has a point.  The Browns extended him and dumped Crowell, but they will probably lose interest in him if/when Hunt comes back around mid-season.  They will cut him in 2019 and he will be looking for a new deal at 26 off a down season behind Chubb and Hunt.  Duke has to press the issue now because he will be losing the upper hand shortly.   

Well that and he lied to his teammates saying he would be back and then didn't come back... Yes the situation changed in his mind but the players felt slighted for what they saw as him lying

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This has nothing to do with Darnold v Baker--I'll take Darnold any day every day but you can't compare who and what Geno is/did (he was a punk and tried to scam a teammate out of pocket change after embarrassing him at his hometown charity football camp for under privileged children then mocked the dude about it in front of the locker room) to who Baker is.

Geno is/was a punk

Baker is a punk

Darnold is not a punk

it really is as simple as that.  a punk is a punk.  now you can say what Geno did is not comparable to what Baker did, and I would agree.  But the elements are there, man.  I am just SO DONE with those types of people on my team.  that's all this is about for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Not sure why anyone would care what Brown's fans think.

It'll all be settled on the field.

Honestly, I hope they become the Brady/Manning rivalry over the next 12 years.

I'll tell you why anyone would care.  Because your in an NFL internet forum discussing anything concerning Darnold and suddenly your down voted into oblivion by a horde of Browns fans or anyone permanently hurt by the notion that Darnold MIGHT'VE been the better pick.  Yeah.  Of course, we all want it to be settled on the field and this rivalry to be like a Brady/Manning linkup for years.  But the levels of micro-managed paranoia every fan base endures waiting for simple draft picks to determine the fate of their franchises for years is mind blowing.  Confounded by the fact that the Browns is even more perennially dysfunctional than this one.

You can't imagine how anyone would care?  Just pick ANY thread on this forum and you'll see fans caring about more pointless topics.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Williams has been in the NFL for 30 years... Mayfield has been alive for 24 years... Know your place... 

Know his place? He does know his place and that’s why he said it.

he’s the franchise QB. The face of the entire team. He earned that title from the second he stepped on an NFL field and lit it up game after game as a rookie.

thats what comes with being a QB...especially an excellent one.

Darnold will be able to do this too...he’ll just choose not to. It doesn’t make Mayfield wrong for choosing to say it though. I really doubt Jarvis or anyone else is going to care in 3 months from now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think much of it comes from the amount of money Bell got and was leaving on the table.  Bell was right not to let the Steelers ride him like rented mule, but when none of the linemen make half that tag and they are killing themselves every down, it's tough not to want the guy in the trenches. 

I agree -- and I'm sure many of the lineman viewed Bell's "patient" running style as a product of their elite blocking. It was still odd to see them rip him.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Duke Johnson has a point.  The Browns extended him and dumped Crowell, but they will probably lose interest in him if/when Hunt comes back around mid-season.  They will cut him in 2019 and he will be looking for a new deal at 26 off a down season behind Chubb and Hunt.  Duke has to press the issue now because he will be losing the upper hand shortly.   

I have no real issue with Duke wanting out and I have no real issue the Browns holding onto him. Nobody is really in the wrong here, both sides are just acting in their own self interest. Standard stuff, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Well that and he lied to his teammates saying he would be back and then didn't come back... Yes the situation changed in his mind but the players felt slighted for what they saw as him lying

In reality he lied but they publicly slammed him AFTER he said he’d be back very soon and then they ripped apart his locker room and stole his cleats and personal equipment. 

Ya...I ain’t coming back after that. They can go F themselves lol.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Big time Baker fan (the player, not the person) here.

You don't f*ck with other people's money.  Pretty damn simple.

Also, I wonder what Baker would have said if someone else said the same thing about him and his situation when he wanted to transfer out of Texas Tech?  "GeT oN tHe BuS bAkEr" ?.

All in all, he's a good QB.  Comes off as a pretty sh*tty human at every turn though.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Sam though, I have no idea why that narrative is a thing.

Very well said, and I think the biggest point here is that this isn't one individual incident that lives in a vacuum, but rather an ongoing trend that's followed him around for a while now.  He's clearly a complete dick of a person, and the only claims otherwise are simply a series of excuses.

Ultimately, the formula for those kind of players in any sport is simple:  if he's on your team and good enough, then you'll accept or even support his douchebaggery (at least for a while).  Others will simply see him for what he is and it's always easy to root against an overall unlikable person.

In the case of the Browns, they have been putting together their own "who's who" of the league's biggest douches, which makes it hard to ignore.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This whole thread is a charade for jealous jets fans to take shots at baker.  

We got the 2nd best qb in last years draft. And thats ok.  Lets move forward.

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

"That's something that we've been dealing with for a while," Mayfield said on June 4, via the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "If we have guys that want to be here, they'll show that, they'll voice that. Obviously he's going to handle his stuff how he wants, but you're either on this train or you're not, it's moving. You can get out of the way or you can join us. So it is what it is."

Mayfield wasn't just upset that Johnson requested a trade, he also seemed upset that Johnson took the situation public. 

"It's just the way he's handled it," Mayfield said. "It can be a stir-up in the media, it can be however it wants, but if somebody wants to be here, they'll be here in that situation. You've got guys within our locker room that are dying to get playing time, that are dying to be here, and I get it."

After Mayfield's harsh words for Johnson, it's pretty clear his teammates wanted him to be more diplomatic about the situation, like Jarvis Landry was when he was asked about Johnson on the same day.  

Am I missing something? What was said here that was harsh?

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Am I missing something? What was said here that was harsh?

This, totally. and when did he talk about someones contract, salary or hold out looking to get paid? I thought I heard Baker say Johnson has to handle this his way. The guy doesn't want to be Baker's teammate he wants out. So see ya. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If Mayfield is as good as he thinks he is he can say whatever he wants. Assuming the Browns are in his corner. I dont see this working out though. Kitchens is going to get bulldozed.

For the Millenial, Madden generation, things like that don't matter. Coaches don't matter, personalities don't matter, teamwork doesnt matter, only thing that matters is skill numbers.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Know his place? He does know his place and that’s why he said it.

he’s the franchise QB. The face of the entire team. He earned that title from the second he stepped on an NFL field and lit it up game after game as a rookie.

thats what comes with being a QB...especially an excellent one.

Darnold will be able to do this too...he’ll just choose not to. It doesn’t make Mayfield wrong for choosing to say it though. I really doubt Jarvis or anyone else is going to care in 3 months from now.

Just because Sam doesn’t say things publicly, doesn’t mean he doesn’t say things to individual players.  There is a reason his former HC called him the best 1 on 1 leader he had ever seen.  Sam managed to keep big personalities like JuJu and Adoree’ in check (“You can celebrate when we’ve actually done something”), there are different leadership personalities, and it also appears like the JETS COACHES AND PLAYERS are responding to his (Sam) form of leadership.

Also, Sam’s personality with his teammates is different from the public persona.  “Sam is a locker room guy” -JuJu, and “Sam is a cool dude..he has some swagger” - Osemele.

As long as a QB leads, and is respected by his teammates, style doesn’t matter....it’s not just the one with the loudest, unfiltered voice.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Just because Sam doesn’t say things publicly, doesn’t mean he doesn’t say things to individual players.  There is a reason his former HC called him the best 1 on 1 leader he had ever seen.  Sam managed to keep big personalities like JuJu and Adoree’ in check (“You can celebrate when we’ve actually done something”), there are different leadership personalities, and it also appears like the JETS COACHES AND PLAYERS are responding to his (Sam) form of leadership.

Also, Sam’s personality with his teammates is different from the public persona.  “Sam is a locker room guy” -JuJu, and “Sam is a cool dude..he has some swagger” - Osemele.

As long as a QB leads, and is respected by his teammates, style doesn’t matter....it’s not just the one with the loudest, unfiltered voice.  

Lead by example. Sometimes you gotta knock some heads. See Troy Aikman, Tom Brady etc.