The Baker Mayfield and His Mouth Thread

On 6/14/2019 at 9:41 AM, Bugg said:

It's Mayfield's 2019 NFL  team. Don't like it? Piss off. Johnson being unhappy about this is like being unhappy with the sun rising and setting. 

no matter how many team mates he pisses off. I know winning cures all but they have to win. How long till some loses and his mouth starts a fight on the team?

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Hey jack I sense you are very pro darnold, and anti mayfield..  sad we jet fans still have to claim a side when clearly darnold is BY FAR the best qb of that class.. However, the browns have had such a weak pathetic losing attitude for so long, it is refreshing to see “ anyone “ call a loser player out on it. I wouldn’t have judged any of them for demanding to be traded pre-18, since they were consistently yr in yr out, worst team in nfl and wasn’t even close.. the pats are going to be big time losers, but they also wouldn’t tolerate weak cry baby players. Curious to see if they will now, knowing they may be the new browns?‍♂️

this I think is the wrong take. while fans may take the above attitude for the player sit could cost him a living and if you are 3rd string and know you are better you need the chance to earn a payday. The players should support each other first esp if they are on the same team sharing a locker room

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This has nothing to do with Darnold v Baker--I'll take Darnold any day every day but you can't compare who and what Geno is/did (he was a punk and tried to scam a teammate out of pocket change after embarrassing him at his hometown charity football camp for under privileged children then mocked the dude about it in front of the locker room) to who Baker is.

Baker is taking a stand about the team.

Geno took a stand over $600.

baker is making a stand about another player's money not about the browns no matter how it is spun, that is bad business to interject yourself into that equation. The browns tried to move him last yr and we dont know what was told to Butch. He went from from 1st to 3rd on the depth chart (that happens) and wants another payday in the NFL for that he needs to play. He is a very good 3rd down back.

Baker should either be smart enough not to put the player on the spot because it is his living and as a leader he needs to look everyone in the eye in the huddle/locker room equally.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Seven pages of the same wrong take. And if the story is about the Jets it's twice that long and blames nobody but the reporter for obviously pushing an insidious agenda by accurately publishing direct quotes and stuff.

This is not hard. It would be one thing if Mayfield was siding against a teammate in a contract dispute. That almost never actually happens because it is so universally understood that it simply isn't done and anybody who forgets it long enough to open his mouth gets swiftly and righteously annihilated for it. This situation is a completely different story. Johnson isn't holding out for a contract. He already got one, last year, when he would have been a free agent this year, and  as soon as he got paid he immediately turned around and started pushing for a trade.

Duke Johnson is not Antonio Brown. He's a third string running back making 5 per and saving tread for a third contract. He was very nearly a cap cut as it is. This is only about making his money to play against the team rather than for the team. And you goofballs are seriously suggesting that Mayfield is obligated to support him in this endeavor. Real quick, we're still for winning and against losing, right?

I'm roughly an 11 on a scale from 0 to commie as far as company men and management deals and crossing picket lines. Drew Brees and Gene Upshaw and Ozzie Newsome can all get boned by the devil in hell forever. Mayfield telling Johnson to eat turds has nothing to do with that stuff.

Some of his teammates disagree, taking him aside to explain that to him (away from the media) and now he's probably not gonna do that again. Because he shouldn't. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yes, 50 years ago when there were three TV channels, no internet and no social media. There will never be another Joe Namath.

Joe’s lifestyle today in the age of Twitter would make Johnny Manziel look like Joe Flacco by comparison.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Hey jack I sense you are very pro darnold, and anti mayfield..  sad we jet fans still have to claim a side when clearly darnold is BY FAR the best qb of that class.. However, the browns have had such a weak pathetic losing attitude for so long, it is refreshing to see “ anyone “ call a loser player out on it. I wouldn’t have judged any of them for demanding to be traded pre-18, since they were consistently yr in yr out, worst team in nfl and wasn’t even close.. the pats are going to be big time losers, but they also wouldn’t tolerate weak cry baby players. Curious to see if they will now, knowing they may be the new browns?‍♂️

I dont consider Duke a losing player for caring about his career.  He is an RB and their run is short. The vets reaction to BMs comments reinforces my opinion. And the only thing I do not like about Mayfield is his mouth. I like his arm and his toughness and he is clearly football smart.  His problem will be judgment--on the field and off.  He cant help all the silly praise he is getting for mediocre performance (1 win against a winning team).  I think he will be good, maybe very good, but he will always be annoying and say the wrong things.  I dont even care about the Browns fans getting all heated up.  They deserve a break.  I  just find the pundits really too much.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

If he manages to what? He was a rookie and in his first appearance gave them their first win in a couple seasons. Beating us no less. Baker is a crotch grabbing, big mouthed gifted QB. Take the good with the bad, but the kid can play. Yes, little maturity, a little humility might be nice but I dare say Cleveland would take wins over that right now. Let’s see how this season go’s instead of acting like we know, because we don’t. 

I agree.  We dont know. In fact, that is my point---why all the hubbub in the media?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So much pointless butthurt. You get that how good Mayfield is and how good Darnold is are not zero sum, right? Based solely on his ability to make Jets fans threatened and irrational and bitchy and delusional Mayfield projects as the next Brady. As compared to Darnold's being hopefully probably pretty good.

the only irrational parties to this are the press.  That is my major concern.  I think he will be a good QB.   He probably will also be an a$$hole.  All this hoopla is manufactured

• Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

Joe’s lifestyle today in the age of Twitter would make Johnny Manziel look like Joe Flacco by comparison.

Only if he was as stupid and cared as little as Johnny Football.

Im sure, would bet, that there are football players who liked going out, dated, drink, carouse at all hours as hard as Namath did.  Theyre smart and cover their tracks as they are taught to do. 

Others wha are not so bright, not so concerned, screw up .

To the point though, Namath wasnt a lightning rod calling out players, grabbing his crotch on the field etc.  He knew he was the focal point though and was the one who fought for equal rights, equal treatment in his own locker room for example.  Far cry from if youre not with me get off the train mentality

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

---why all the hubbub in the media?

Lets not be blind to the why.

Its because he enjoys it, brings it on himself.  Up to now hes been able to get through it because hes been successful.  I think the point from some is the press gets tired of it and lays in the weeds waiting for a stumble and then will jump on the opening.

Think of all the over the top loud players, in any sport who after being built up by the media get shot down as soon as theres a misstep.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

I dont consider Duke a losing player for caring about his career.  He is an RB and their run is short. The vets reaction to BMs comments reinforces my opinion. And the only thing I do not like about Mayfield is his mouth. I like his arm and his toughness and he is clearly football smart.  His problem will be judgment--on the field and off.  He cant help all the silly praise he is getting for mediocre performance (1 win against a winning team).  I think he will be good, maybe very good, but he will always be annoying and say the wrong things.  I dont even care about the Browns fans getting all heated up.  They deserve a break.  I  just find the pundits really too much.

He is getting paid all the same isn’t he? Should be thankful the browns are not running him into the ground before he walks like Pitt did to bell.. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is getting paid all the same isn’t he? Should be thankful the browns are not running him into the ground before he walks like Pitt did to bell.. 

some guys want to play and think they should.  I dont hold it against him.  he has value.  But he has a small window, being an RB.  He is not just along for a ride.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:33 AM, Villain The Foe said:

This isnt surprising. Why? Because they won 8 games in 3 years....7 of them coming just last year from that rookie. Of course they're at a all time high in confidence when you win 1 game in 2 season Slats. 

Look at the confidence of Jets fans with Sam Darnold. 

Look, we're 3 pages in. We all know why Jets fans are even talking about this non story. 

Im not going back and forth about this. Deep down Jets fans know why they are so concerned about the Browns and Mayfield. 

Yeah, we are 3 pages in because you keep quoting these full page replies, then adding nothing new to your conversation.

giphy.gif

• Sympathy 1

On 6/14/2019 at 5:29 PM, Dcat said:

"Implosion"?   Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hardly.  Mayfield was on the money.  Anyone on planet Earth expecting Mayfield to always say the "appropriate" thing, forget about that.  That is not the make-up of Baker Mayfield.  If his public comments bothers you, you should become a Darnold fan.  He will always say the right thing.

And most importantly, none of this matters on the field.  People here just want to see Cleveland crash and burn.

I don't think they are going to crash. They are absolutely loaded with talent. They have a stacked roster. Sure they are full of out spoken egomaniacs, but that doesnt mean they are going to implode. 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

ALl he wants......business side of the ball.  As I said.  And its not spoken about, publicly for fans and media.  Just isnt done, the players or explayers who have commented have all said the same thing.  Shouldnt have aired business for all to hear.  

I don't understand how people don't know this.....not ever being an NFL fan, but hearing personally for over 40 years , from former players who were guest speakers at alumni dinners -who are/were NFL greats, HOFers, elite players and JAGs, you hear them all say the same thing....the NFL is STRICTLY BUSINESS, playing time is short, and you NEVER comment on another man's business negotiations.  EVER.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

some guys want to play and think they should.  I dont hold it against him.  he has value.  But he has a small window, being an RB.  He is not just along for a ride.

Nobody forced him to sign the 3 yr extension. I’m the sure the browns would have rather went yr to yr with him, but he wanted the 3 yr. If he practices hard he will get his chances, raise his trade value. Don’t blame a team for doing what is best for the team.

49 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We all knew baker would be more pro ready, guy is like 30 ha. Darnold will likely pass him this yr, and will blow him away in few years 

Except Baker didn’t just look pro-ready. He statistically had one of the best seasons a rookie QB has ever had...without starting the first 2 or 3 games.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Except Baker didn’t just look pro-ready. He statistically had one of the best seasons a rookie QB has ever had...without starting the first 2 or 3 games.

yup, and you can't take that away from him....otherwise you're just a petty hater.  

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ha yes. He must also rank near the top of the list of most college starts at qb. Most good QBs don’t stay in school five years lol. If darnold had played his senior yr and last yr was mayfield’s senior yr, I don’t see how anyone would take Baker over darnold. Most teams said they would have picked darnold over mayfield even last year.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I get that but he wasn’t even speaking on his money. Where are y’all getting this from? Duke wants to leave because he’s soon to be behind Nick Chubb AND Kareem Hunt. The guy’s gripe is over playing time and his role on the team. If it was contractual issue then I’d agree with you but it’s not lol. I have no problem with Baker publicly telling a guy to buy into his role on the team no matter what that is or get lost. He’s being as blunt as possible and you really can’t hate on that. Could Baker have packaged it differently? Sure but it is what it is.

Le’Veon Bell’s situation was contractual. People were counting his pockets. Again, not so much this tho.

I didn't  get the buy into your role or get out. I felt It was more you are either with us or you are not and if you are not then get out. 

I don't  blame Duke for wanting to leave. He has talent and a lot of teams would love to sign him and feature him as a third down back. That said due to Kareem  getting a long suspension,  he most likely will retain that role but the writing is on the wall. Johnson will be the odd man out in the rotation once Hunt starts playing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So much pointless butthurt. You get that how good Mayfield is and how good Darnold is are not zero sum, right? Based solely on his ability to make Jets fans threatened and irrational and bitchy and delusional Mayfield projects as the next Brady. As compared to Darnold's being hopefully probably pretty good.

Are you seriously saying Mayfield projects to be the best QB to ever play the game, because that is what Brady is. Didn't  Brady take the Pat's to a SB his first season. I think Baker fell a bit short of that. Maybe this season he proves me wrong but nothing I saw last season even suggests he will be the next Brady

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha yes. He must also rank near the top of the list of most college starts at qb. Most good QBs don’t stay in school five years lol. If darnold had played his senior yr and last yr was mayfield’s senior yr, I don’t see how anyone would take Baker over darnold. Most teams said they would have picked darnold over mayfield even last year.

1.  Likely because most in the league underestimated Baker’s talent, and ability to transition those skills to the NFL.

2.  Thought that Mayfield already hit his ceiling, and Sam not close to reaching his.

3.  Many in the league not caring for Mayfield’s persona....and the number of scouts and team personnel commenting on Sam’s calm and perceived high character, on and off the field.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Are you seriously saying Mayfield projects to be the best QB to ever play the game, because that is what Brady is. Didn't  Brady take the Pat's to a SB his first season. I think Baker fell a bit short of that. Maybe this season he proves me wrong but nothing I saw last season even suggests he will be the next Brady

I don’t think she’s saying that.  

On 6/14/2019 at 8:42 AM, The Crusher said:

Baker Mayfield is 100% right. Probably shouldn’t have said it, but it makes him no less correct. 

Exactly !! It's not like this is a contract dispute, the guy is saying he does not want to play for the Browns so in that case why should anyone be sticking up for him ?

With that being said, I also understand Duke Johnsons take as well, he knows with Chubb and Hunt he's not going to get touches and it's as if they are going to need him for the first 8 games then dump him to the curb. 

I care way more about the success of the jets compared to another team's baggage/drama, but I would be lying if this doesn't make my jewels tingle slightly. Living in Ohio, fans around here are damn near obnoxious about the browns. I went to the last three Jet road games in Cleveland and have gotten an egg thrown at me as well as being called every swear word in the book. I know humans are tribal in nature, and football can bring out polarizing reactions in everybody, but browns fans take it to a whole different level. I really REALLY hope we spank them week 2.

• Upvote 1