Bob Papa vs Bob Wischusen

10 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Who is the better voice of their respective teams? 

I don’t listen the Giants on the radio much, but I like Bob W a lot.

I think they're both pretty darn good.  I honestly think I prefer Bob W but I'm guessing Giant fans probably prefer Bob P.  

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wischusen is an awful, awful homer with the grating voice of an assistant manager at a Walmart. Papa’s game broadcasts are brilliant essays on what is actually happening in the game at any given time in all aspects. There is no comparison. 

Pretty much agree with you.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wischusen is an awful, awful homer with the grating voice of an assistant manager at a Walmart. Papa’s game broadcasts are brilliant essays on what is actually happening in the game at any given time in all aspects. There is no comparison. 

He’s somehow less of a homer than a lot of parts of the country. When I was in the Carolina’s (visiting an ex in hopes of maybe resurrecting love lost to circumstance), I was shocked at the radio broadcast for the Panthers. It’s worse in Boston, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Nashville.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Almost all of them, for all 32 teams, are homers.  NBD.  I like Wischusen's call.  I also like Papa's.  Bob W gets me more hyped, but that is probably because I am indifferent to whether the Giants win, lose, play well or play poorly.  Not a Giants fan; and that influences the vote here.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Wischusen is a homer but he's not awful. I haven't listened to Papa enough to have a strong opinion. My impression is he calls a good game but not brilliant. Brilliant essays are like Vin Scully. 

for context, Tom believes the back of cereal boxes contain great American literature 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Almost all of them, for all 32 teams, are homers.  NBD.  I like Wischusen's call.  I also like Papa's.  Bob W gets me more hyped, but that is probably because I am indifferent to whether the Giants win, lose, play well or play poorly.  Not a Giants fan; and that influences the vote here.

It’s subjective, obviously. I prefer the play by play guy to be a no-bullsh*t storyteller as opposed to a hype-man. Papa does an infinitely better job explaining what’s taking place on the field than Wischusen does, imo. If you tune in to a Giants game and they’re down 14 late in the third, you know it and know why because of Papa. Same scenario with the Jets—down 14 in the third—and you’ll get Wischusen screaming and yelling because Enunwa just converted a meaningless third-and-six

15 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s somehow less of a homer than a lot of parts of the country. When I was in the Carolina’s (visiting an ex in hopes of maybe resurrecting love lost to circumstance), I was shocked at the radio broadcast for the Panthers. It’s worse in Boston, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Nashville.

Totally agree with this. If you think Wischusen is a homer you haven't actually listened to many regional broadcasts. He's not even close to what you get in most parts of the country.

I specifically remember listening to parts of the Cincinnati radio broadcast during the Jets/Bengals Wild Card game in Rex's first year and being shocked at the way they were rooting for the team like a couple of fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We will mark you as "undecided."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Wischusen has a better announcer voice, IMO. But I agree that Papa is more insightful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Long the days of Howard David and Jennings just absolutely teeing off on the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Was....was she a Molecular Biologist?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The big difference being Papa has a terrible, dull voice that puts me to sleep. Wischusen's voice may not be optimal, but it certainly isn't dull. It sounds like he's talking in the walky talky that you could get when you saved 200 bazooka comics (ate 200 pieces of bazooka gum).

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s subjective, obviously. I prefer the play by play guy to be a no-bullsh*t storyteller as opposed to a hype-man. Papa does an infinitely better job explaining what’s taking place on the field than Wischusen does, imo. If you tune in to a Giants game and they’re down 14 late in the third, you know it and know why because of Papa. Same scenario with the Jets—down 14 in the third—and you’ll get Wischusen screaming and yelling because Enunwa just converted a meaningless third-and-six

Don't agree.  I've not perceived him to get fake-excited on a meaningless play that ends up as a punt. 

24 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

The big difference being Papa has a terrible, dull voice that puts me to sleep. Wischusen's voice may not be optimal, but it certainly isn't dull. It sounds like he's talking in the walky talky that you could get when you saved 200 bazooka comics (ate 200 pieces of bazooka gum).

Does Dick Lynch still do the giants games with Papa?  Those two were a disaster together if I was a giants fan I'd be pissed you have Papa who sucks and this scenile old fart Lynch

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

A Ph.D candidate in Legal Studies and Women’s rights movements... so she wasn’t that much of a catch... unlike the Adam Gase New York Jets...

im lonely

I know her. You dodged a bullet 

OH, looks and he picked it off, oh wait no he didn't. 

LOOKS like he made the catch, oh wait his foot out of bounds.

LOOKS like the Jets have the first down, oh no the are a little short.

It's the radio quit giving false hope only to be wrong.

Papa doesn't jump the gun, BW sucks balls.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, Bruce Harper said:

It is hard to imagine there being a bigger homer than Scott Zolak, the guy who does the color for the Patriots on the radio up here.

He is the WORST I've ever heard.  Worse than Jim Nance's Cheats worship. I hate homer announcers - even  when they are for my own team. Zolak blames everyone else , whines when any call is made against the Cheats, never gives any other players credit for any play, etc.  He's always wiping his team's bodily fluids off his chin. The only time - too rare - that I can listen to him (when I am starved for sports and there's nothing else on the air when I'm driving home) is when the Cheats are losing: then, hearing him sulk, pout and whine is just pure gravy. Can't wait until they are mediocre again, when Evil Bill and Giselle retire/implode: then, I'll be gleefully hitting the dial.

• Upvote 1