So when do we get rid of Trumaine Johnson?

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I am in total agreement with your entire post.

Although there is an outlier to your girl theory.  You ever been to Pennsylvania or Southern NJ? hahahaha.

I’m from Allentown, PA! Filled with the heavier set around here. I like the petite ones tho ?

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m from Allentown, PA! Filled with the heavier set around here. I like the petite ones tho ?

Many years ago when I was first married I went into a dress shop to get my then wife an outfit for her birthday. Knew nothing about women’s clothing. Will try to be politically correct. My ex being tiny I went into the petite section. Had no idea you could be a chubby petite ?

• Haha 1

Tru was a big disappointment, and he'll have the full year to prove he's worth keeping around. Though I must say, even if he WAS an all-pro kind of CB I'd be leery at keeping him under the cap hits he's about to get. 15, 17 and then 18.5 the next three years, oof. Though I guess he just has to be good enough to be worth the 3 million they get by cutting him.

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

As optimistic as I am about this upcoming season I am very concerned about the secondary.  I know Bowles stunk and was an empty suit head coach but Trumaine Johnson, who is supposed to be our #1 cover corner and at the very least the starting #2 and an every down player, his problems last year were not just schemes or lack therof.  The guy looked slow -- 2015 Darrelle Revis slow.

I know we can't cut him now and we can't even get a replacement it's too late but this guy absolutely has to be cut next offseason.

2019 is a put up or shut up season for Johnson. Whether we like it or not, it's not conducive to wise salary cap management to cut him. So he's going to get a shot at justifying the money he was paid. But I must comment, imagine how BAD the Jets would get over time if we still had Mac as GM? We'd eventually have 11 Darron Lee and Trumaine Johnson type players on defense. Can you even imagine how truly bad that would be?

On 6/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, Philc1 said:

As optimistic as I am about this upcoming season I am very concerned about the secondary.  I know Bowles stunk and was an empty suit head coach but Trumaine Johnson, who is supposed to be our #1 cover corner and at the very least the starting #2 and an every down player, his problems last year were not just schemes or lack therof.  The guy looked slow -- 2015 Darrelle Revis slow.

I know we can't cut him now and we can't even get a replacement it's too late but this guy absolutely has to be cut next offseason.

I felt the same way about the corner position all offseason and I'm recently realizing a lot of that worry was a side effect from Bowels and Mac. I might be wrong, but somehow I'm less concerned about the position since the coaching and GM change. I've got some hope that if that unit is an obvious weakness in practice, Douglas will do something to address it.

On 6/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, rangerous said:

unless i'm mistaken he's got too much of a cap hit through 2020.  after that he can be cut without much hit.  but really.  he just got to the jets and when a team goes 4-12, it means nobody is playing well.  where do you start to make changes and where do you stop?

$3M cap saving, but $12M dead money in 2020.  This is shaping up to one of the worst Jets contracts ever unless he comes up with a reversal this year

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I felt the same way about the corner position all offseason and I'm recently realizing a lot of that worry was a side effect from Bowels and Mac. I might be wrong, but somehow I'm less concerned about the position since the coaching and GM change. I've got some hope that if that unit is an obvious weakness in practice, Douglas will do something to address it.

One ex Dolphin coach once said it best " you can't make chicken salad,  out of chicken crap" applies.     What can a GM , or a coach do at that point to address the situation (weakness) in camp.    

Basically has to wait for the offseason to address that problem in Fa , and the draft.   Those weakness should have been addressed in this years offseason. ( why you have a new GM after having over a 100 million to spend in Fa - yet you didn't address the biggest weaknesses .

It's like trading K Mack right before the season starts, and not getting anything back that's going to help you in 2018.  You're basically throwing the season away. ( the time to move him was during the 2018 draft). 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:38 PM, Tony MaC said:

Tru was a big disappointment, and he'll have the full year to prove he's worth keeping around. Though I must say, even if he WAS an all-pro kind of CB I'd be leery at keeping him under the cap hits he's about to get. 15, 17 and then 18.5 the next three years, oof. Though I guess he just has to be good enough to be worth the 3 million they get by cutting him.

It's interesting that he has chosen not to attend the voluntary OTA sessions. I wonder if he is involved with a similar training style regimen as Leveon where he is working on specifics to him.  It's crazy that we have't really seen or heard a thing about what he's doing during that time. We know what every single talking head thinks about Bell but not a word on Tru. Seems like it would be important too. no? 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

One ex Dolphin coach once said it best " you can't make chicken salad,  out of chicken crap" applies.     What can a GM , or a coach do at that point to address the situation (weakness) in camp.    

Basically has to wait for the offseason to address that problem in Fa , and the draft.   Those weakness should have been addressed in this years offseason. ( why you have a new GM after having over a 100 million to spend in Fa - yet you didn't address the biggest weaknesses .

It's like trading K Mack right before the season starts, and not getting anything back that's going to help you in 2018.  You're basically throwing the season away. ( the time to move him was during the 2018 draft). 

Hey, the Jets cut a rookie Atari Bigby after the 4th preseason game where he had two picks. SO dumb.  Guys can be had later in the offseason and preseason cuts. It's not always gonna fall the way we need it to, but it is possible.  I would think they'd look into bringing Claiborne back too. Even if it's just as depth. He has to be better than the 4th CB at the moment. I wonder why he hasn't really gotten any attention this offseason. I bet it's a money thing. he may just think he's worth much more than teams are willing to give him. 

That said, I'm almost hoping they don't do that so we can really see what we have with guys like Roberts and Nickerson. I think Nickerson has some real potential. 

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hey, the Jets cut a rookie Atari Bigby after the 4th preseason game where he had two picks. SO dumb.  Guys can be had later in the offseason and preseason cuts. It's not always gonna fall the way we need it to, but it is possible.  I would think they'd look into bringing Claiborne back too. Even if it's just as depth. He has to be better than the 4th CB at the moment. I wonder why he hasn't really gotten any attention this offseason. I bet it's a money thing. he may just think he's worth much more than teams are willing to give him. 

That said, I'm almost hoping they don't do that so we can really see what we have with guys like Roberts and Nickerson. I think Nickerson has some real potential. 

How dumb was cutting Bigby?

In fact no one picked him up after we cut him. He was signed to the Packers practice squad more than a month later. 

Don't sleep on Derrick Jones. He should have gotten more playing time last year. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

How dumb was cutting Bigby?

In fact no one picked him up after we cut him. He was signed to the Packers practice squad more than a month later. 

Don't sleep on Derrick Jones. He should have gotten more playing time last year. 

The fact that Bigby had two picks in his last preseason game, it was hard to see how they cut him. At least that's how I remember it.  I know I definitely thought he should have made the team. 

It's a little scary to go into the season with unknowns at the CB position, but we have a few guys who really should get a shot. You will never know what you have if they rarely get to play. We may just have the next hidden gem already on the roster. 

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i thought so for a millisecond last year. but he was atricious when he was on the field. just horrendously clueless.

his rating reflected this too.  

I don't remember saying Nickerson had real potential. I'd keep him on the roster as he is good backup for the slot, and has some potential to start there. 

I said to watch Derrick Jones. He has real potential to be a good #2 corner. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What can you do at that point (once in camp)? You find someone better. No, you're not likely to find an all pro thats available via trade or FA signing. I tend to think that if there is literally NO ONE avail that's better than what you have, what you have probably isnt THAT BAD.

What I meant was I am tired of coaches that hit week 1 and act like they are surprised that a unit that looked horrible all summer ended up playing like crap during the season .