Boyer not looking back...

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Well except for the fact that he had 0 fumbles last year.

He muffed 2 punts in preseason, but what did they expect?  Guy had never returned punts in his life.

He had one return last year I hope he didn’t fumble it. 

I thought he had a few fumbles in preseason as well??

Thank you I was so impressed with Boyer last year and what he had accomplished that I actually wanted him interviewed for the Jets HC position!!!
The fact that we didn’t keep players who were actually performing on a team with perhaps the worst talent level in the NFL was mind blowing to me    Where we didn’t have holes before we literally now have to “find” guys we let go in say Roberts.  
Query to former Jets GM MacCagnan, What NFL Champion had awful STa play in the last 30 years?
Answer = No One 
And MacCagnan’s mismanagement and essential devaluation of this area alone was just another reason why he rightly was let go   

I agree man. I struggled with the idea of letting Roberts go. I could appreciate the age piece and that last year could have been the anomaly but it was working. No need to film the position. Just sign him and it’s done. That was a dumb move.

Myers could come back to bite us too. Having a consistent FG kicker is worth it’s weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Based on that, Cannon might be more likely to make the team than most of us, myself included, have thought 

It was always my gut feeling....   whcih coulda been wrong....   but the fact that the same coach is back and knows him looks like he will have a spot...

a modern day steve tasker? I'd take that in a NY minute.

and another NO to punt returning. KR? Maybe. Coverage teams...defos.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree man. I struggled with the idea of letting Roberts go. I could appreciate the age piece and that last year could have been the anomaly but it was working. No need to film the position. Just sign him and it’s done. That was a dumb move.

Myers could come back to bite us too. Having a consistent FG kicker is worth it’s weight in gold.

Thank you!!

And yet MacCagnan decided to draw the line here on ST to show us all how tough he was....

Utter maddness......

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Honestly, I get both of those moves. 

Roberts had a career year with the Jets last year, almost 30 yards per KO return and over 14 on punt returns. Those are All Pro numbers. Before last year, he never had a season averaging 24 years/KOR, and his second best punt return season was 12.3 yards/return, but that season featured two TDs in 20 returns. Other than that, he's been a 7.5 yards/return guy in the NFL and now he's 31-years-old. 

Myers, too, had a career year, hitting over 90% of his FG attempts when the previous two years he couldn't get over 80%. I'd've been more likely to hold onto him than Roberts, thinking maybe the light's gone on for him, and he's turned that corner. He could also just as easily revert to the mean. 

I was glad the Jets kept Boyer as special teams coach, and I think coaching makes a difference on specials. I feel like he can coach up and scheme returns. The kicker is more of a finger's crossed kinda thing. 

• Sympathy 1

Honestly, I get both of those moves. 
Roberts had a career year with the Jets last year, almost 30 yards per KO return and over 14 on punt returns. Those are All Pro numbers. Before last year, he never had a season averaging 24 years/KOR, and his second best punt return season was 12.3 yards/return, but that season featured two TDs in 20 returns. Other than that, he's been a 7.5 yards/return guy in the NFL and now he's 31-years-old. 
Myers, too, had a career year, hitting over 90% of his FG attempts when the previous two years he couldn't get over 80%. I'd've been more likely to hold onto him than Roberts, thinking maybe the light's gone on for him, and he's turned that corner. He could also just as easily revert to the mean. 
I was glad the Jets kept Boyer as special teams coach, and I think coaching makes a difference on specials. I feel like he can coach up and scheme returns. The kicker is more of a finger's crossed kinda thing. 

Right. It’s not that I don’t get it in both cases but I would still have chosen to keep the guy who just had success with our ST coach. It’s very possible that he wouldn’t have the same kind of year but it’s also possible that he would still be a consistent and reliable field position asset. Even with a less dynamic showing.

After seeing the way Boyer articulated that comment it seems clear that he wanted to retain Roberts. The GM should consider such things when building the roster and making the offseason decisions.

If we didn’t have the money to do it fine. But we still have plenty and taking a shot at securing one of the better return men in the league who seems to be a fave of the ST coach would have seemed the better move imo.
Roberts also showed he could play in a reserve WR role at the end of the year too. That has value.

Let’s go dortch!!!

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

After seeing the way Boyer articulated that comment it seems clear that he wanted to retain Roberts. The GM should consider such things when building the roster and making the offseason decisions.

I agree, just saying I understand the flipside. 

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Roberts also showed he could play in a reserve WR role at the end of the year too. That has value.

Disagree. He kinda sucked as a WR just when Sam was starting click. 

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Let’s go dortch!!! emoji869.pngemoji869.pngemoji869.png

100%! I'm excited about the guy. Think he can be dangerous in the slot, too. 

• Sympathy 1

100%! I'm excited about the guy. Think he can be dangerous in the slot, too. 

Truth is we both agree pretty much here. Just picking apart little points.

I do think that when Roberts came in earlier in the season he was atrocious. I believe he even had a drop or two. During that last 4 game stretch he played better. Had a couple of grabs and even the big TD where he ran a very nice route to get behind the DB.
Either way his value was at the KR position but he could come in to the game in a pinch and have some effect.

Let’s just hope our new little tiny huggabear can come in and make it happen!