What do you think Mike McCagnans biggest regret will be?

If he could do it all over again what do you think he would do differently?

Id bet his biggest regret was trying to field a competitive team in year one. He really messed up the timeline (He really screwed Bowles over) by trying to compete the first two years and then breaking it down in year 3. Obviously the awful drafting in 2015 and 2016 didn’t help his case either.

I doubt he has any regrets. He had his philosophy and stuck to it. His philosophy was completely idiotic in the modern NFL, but he was consistent. I thought for a long time he was heavily influenced by Bowles but everything was the same with Gase which considering the differences between Gase and Bowles philosophically was just never going to fly.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Id bet his biggest regret was trying to field a competitive team in year one. He really messed up the timeline (He really screwed Bowles over) by trying to compete the first two years and then breaking it down in year 3. Obviously the awful drafting in 2015 and 2016 didn’t help his case either.

Never take the Jets job in the first place.

34 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

There are many in no sort of order:

Drafting Darron Lee, Hackenberg, Stewart, Hansen, courting Kirk Cousins with 100 million dollars, Trumaine Johnson, cutting Eric Decker, David Harris, and all the remaining talent left on the talent to prove what point? Those are just some. In the positive I'd have to say drafting Adams and Sammy are the only two things he can be happy with. It's honestly that bad.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would 1000% guarantee it was yielding to the pressure to re-sign Fitzpatrick after that first year. 

I wouldn't? He knew Ryan Fitzpatrick was 1) the best QB the Jets were ever going to get their hands on for 2016 2) it was a paper bull. He had to sign Fits or else Jets land would have gone off the rails pissed off with Mac. They would have criticized him limb from limb for having a decent QB in his midst and not signing him.

• Upvote 2

Not taking a stand with Bowles after Bowles stated Ryan Fitzpatrick is our QB in 2016 when he wasn't under contract. Letting a journeyman QB like Fitz hold the Jets hostage was criminal. 

Then, he compounds it by drafting a QB (Hackenberg) who his own college coach passed on EVEN THOUGH the Texans needed a future QB too. 

How in gods name does a GM figure he knows more about a QBs potential than the guy who mentored him in College? This thought has always blown my mind! It's one of those mysteries wrapped in an enigma that when you look at it after the fact can not be explained. It also shows you how asleep at the wheel the owners of this team have been.

I follow football, I'm a football fan. If I own the NY Jets, and I'm in the war room and I see Bill Obrien on the clock, 1st thing I'm thinking if Macc is telling me our board has Christian Hackenberg at the top of his player chart & then his college coach (coaching a team that lacks a QB) just like us & he passes on him, I'm like why are we taking him so high? 

Thats a question an owner paying attention would ask. And Macc better have the answer & it better be believable. Then, thinking he hit on Hack the next year he bypasses Mahomes & Watson.

1st & foremost it's about the QB in the NFL. But not only did he fail in that dept. for until Darnold dropped but by then he had proven he was a terrible evaluator in the middle rounds. His fate was sealed before the Giants passed on Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Hack

It's one of the most embarrassing decisions from a FO ever. 

There is a long list of QB busts from the first round so there is zero chance a QB bust in the second round ranks high on the list of embarrassing FO decisions. Guys like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Heath Shuler and many more are far bigger busts considering where they were drafted. 
Hack was an awful pick, but every year there are 2nd round picks that turn out to be complete zeros in the NFL just look at every other 2nd round pick of the Jets the last 20 years. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Mahomes looks pretty ******* dumb. A QB worth taking at 10 is certainly worth taking at 6.

I disagree. It doesn't matter anyway. He got one of the games premier Safeties and drafted Sammy Darnold the following season. No one cares about that now except Jets fans playing Monday morning QB.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Resigning Fitz no doubt.  Proved he didn't have the courage of his convictions.....Hack is a very close 2nd, aka misplaced courage.  

What convictions? That he wanted to start rebuilding a year earlier? This makes no sense. When Mac signed Fitz he was still trying to win. If he had let him go through FA, the Jets would have been terrible in 2016, and everyone would have blamed Mac for the debacle. The truth is regardless of what they had done the Jets were always going to suck in 2016. The schedule was that of a playoff team and Mac did nothing to improve the Jets in the draft, everyone knew Darron Lee was going to suck. But Jets fans didn't know any better.

27 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I disagree. It doesn't matter anyway. He got one of the games premier Safeties and drafted Sammy Darnold the following season. No one cares about that now except Jets fans playing Monday morning QB.

Darnold is a great prospect that had an up-and-down rookie year and is by no means a sure thing right now. Mahomes just won MVP. That’s not worth any safety.

• Upvote 3

It should be Trumaine Johnson.  What I believe to be a big reason CJ got on board to fire him.

The excerpt below is from a blog by John G. Butcho on 4/9/18 who astutely points out how bad the contract structure was immediately after this deal was done.

Trumaine Johnson
Contract details:

5 years, $72.5 million

Quality: "B": If you were making a list of the top fifteen cornerbacks in the NFL, you could make an argument that Johnson should be on the list. He has frequently been solid and occasionally been excellent since entering the NFL in 2012.

Need: "A": What I said about Claiborne goes for Johnson. In the defense the Jets run, corners who can survive on an island are essential. Johnson’s job will be even more important than Claiborne’s as he will be frequently be asked to cover the other team’s top receiver (some of the best receivers in the NFL) by himself.

Value: "D": There is only one other cornerback in the entire NFL on a deal averaging $14.5 million. “Arguably top 15 corner” is a nice thing to hear about a player on your team, but not exactly ideal for a guy getting this type of contract. This was a clear case where the Jets had a big need, and supply was low.

Structure: "F": I am sure a lot of people will argue the signing of a corner like Johnson was essential. I am sure a lot of people will argue that even if it was an overpay, it was worth it. If you want to make those cases, feel free. I don’t think there’s an argument to be made that this deal was well-structured, though. The Jets essentially kept Johnson’s cap number down the first two years at the expense of making this deal brutal to escape in the events things do not pan out.

The kicker is the Jets didn’t need to do it. Usually deals like this are done to fit a player when short-term cap space was tight. The Jets had plenty of space to frontload this deal and minimize any dead money hit after year two, though. They could have reduced his cap number near the end of the deal to coincide with a gradual decline.

There is almost no cap relief if Johnson fails, and the Jets want to get out of the deal after two years. They only get $3 million in cap space and suffer $12 million in a dead money hit. Heck, if they want to get out of the deal after three years, they take a big $8 million dead money hit.

And Johnson is already 28, which is a point where many cornerbacks are past their prime. He has even shown some signs of a possible decline already.

The Jets essentially made sure they took on as much risk as possible with the way this contract was structured.

• Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Dudes who never saw him play and couldn’t have picked him out of a lineup now claiming it was the obvious choice. Because he became an MVP.

From Texas Tech air raid offense against non-defenses of the Big 12 never took a snap from under center and barely huddled with questionable mechanics. 

But yeah, it was obvious. 

At certain points folks though Kizer was the best QB in that draft and was the number 1 pick. 

Who would you prefer Adams or Kizer. 

Too funny. 

• Post of the Week 2