What do you think Mike McCagnans biggest regret will be?

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Darnold is a great prospect that had an up-and-down rookie year and is by no means a sure thing right now. Mahomes just won MVP. That’s not worth any safety.

Taking Adams over Mahomes also meant that our QB cost us four picks instead of one, so that’s pretty great

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is a long list of QB busts from the first round so there is zero chance a QB bust in the second round ranks high on the list of embarrassing FO decisions. Guys like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Heath Shuler and many more are far bigger busts considering where they were drafted. 
Hack was an awful pick, but every year there are 2nd round picks that turn out to be complete zeros in the NFL just look at every other 2nd round pick of the Jets the last 20 years. 

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

With all the 1st rd busts at QB that all teams do a 2nd rd bust isn't even in the top 10 of the Jets..

Hack is the first QB picked in the first 2 rounds to not ever take an NFL snap in over 30 years. 

You don't need to be a first round pick to be a colossal mistake.

• Upvote 2

Macc was all about keeping his job, not necessarily winning games. 

So notwithstanding all of his boneheaded moves listed above and then some, his biggest mistake was not sucking up to Gase, doing what he was told, listening to his input and instead leaving positions uncovered.  Gase then had him shot.  He could have survived if he was smart enough to get in Gase’s good side 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I would 1000% guarantee it was yielding to the pressure to re-sign Fitzpatrick after that first year. 

Agree that decision is at or near the top.  But The fault is his, he didn't leave himself any options other than to resign Fitz, should have recognized his limitations and put a different option in place so he wasn't left with Fitz and no one esle.

which when you think about is what apparently was Gase and CJs reason to move on from him, they didn't want to deal with his slow moving, indecisive way of running things. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Hack is the first QB picked in the first 2 rounds to not ever take an NFL snap in over 30 years. 

You don't need to be a first round pick to be a colossal mistake.

I HATED the Hack pic. 

But busting on Jamarcus Russell or Johnny Football or Joey Harrington or Matt Leinart or Jake Locker or Tebow is 1000x worse. 

Ghost was a worse pick but that was a 5 player draft with us picking 6. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Grandy said:

Hack

It's one of the most embarrassing decisions from a FO ever. 

How did somebody give you a negative rep for this? Seems pretty reasonable that hack is his biggest mistake or at least in the discussion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Mahomes looks pretty ******* dumb. A QB worth taking at 10 is certainly worth taking at 6.

That works both ways....if only Sam had been picked by that franchise, the coaches and the Oline and those weapons at his disposal....we can all dream, right?

19 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I HATED the Hack pic. 

But busting on Jamarcus Russell or Johnny Football or Joey Harrington or Matt Leinart or Jake Locker or Tebow is 1000x worse. 

Ghost was a worse pick but that was a 5 player draft with us picking 6. 

I have to disagree. Hack wouldn’t make the cut in a senior citizen league. 

44 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Taking Adams over Mahomes also meant that our QB cost us four picks instead of one, so that’s pretty great

To be fair Mahomes was going to a good team long before he stepped on the field Darnold despite being only 21 was playing like a beast in the second half despite no help.  Obviously I wish we didn’t have to trade 3 seconds but that’s life I guess.  My biggest gripe with Macc was obviously the offensive line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Mahomes looks pretty ******* dumb. A QB worth taking at 10 is certainly worth taking at 6.

I agree. But that's only a regret for him if he was thinking about it. 

biggest regret has to be not throwing in that extra 3rd round pick for Wentz

that's the sliding door that ended his career, if he gives up that pick (wasted anyway), he does not resign Fitz and probably trades mo or just lets him walk for a comp 3rd round pick to make up for the trade, Marshall would have had a real QB, there is no hack pick, no lee...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

This is the thing that gets lost in the trade up for Darnold. Had he not committed to Hackenberg as the future there’s no need to even trade up for Darnold. The current roster looks substantially better if he goes that route. You’ve got three more 2nd rounders on the roster plus whoever they drafted in the first this year. Those guys all probably suck because Macaggnan would have been doing the drafting anyways but at least we’d have Mahomes.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

If he could do it all over again what do you think he would do differently?

Id bet his biggest regret was trying to field a competitive team in year one. He really messed up the timeline (He really screwed Bowles over) by trying to compete the first two years and then breaking it down in year 3. Obviously the awful drafting in 2015 and 2016 didn’t help his case either.

Agree with this.  Most were giddy at the prospect of Revis returning and the big ticket FA's in that first year.  All I saw was the sacrifice Idzik made in stripping the roster of salary going to waste completely.  Idzik didn't draft well and that was his downfall.  But the way he hoarded picks and money was masterful.  Then Mac comes in and pisses it all away in an instant.  No long term plan.  No method.  Just the squandering of cap room that any GM would have salivated at being handed his first year.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Macc was all about keeping his job, not necessarily winning games. 

So notwithstanding all of his boneheaded moves listed above and then some, his biggest mistake was not sucking up to Gase, doing what he was told, listening to his input and instead leaving positions uncovered.  Gase then had him shot.  He could have survived if he was smart enough to get in Gase’s good side 

Actually, although a good analysis by you I have to disagree.

Gase, as I already heard him state, is “all about winning”, he thinks he has the formula, so if you’re not with him you’re gone.

He saw Maccagnan as the moronic drone slug trying to keep his job by playing it as safe as possible....that he is.  He saw who Maccagnan really is QUICKLY.  It’s obvious to anyone with any intelligence, that Gase definitely has, that you’re never winning with Maccagnan on your payroll, just like anyone with Bowles as coach will never win (unless you can stock your D with 10 All Pros EVERY year, enjoy Tampa).  Gase doesn’t like or have time to associate with idiots...and he WON’T.

I listened to a very interesting podcast the other day where this kid Michael Nania analyzed Maccagnan’s career, going back to Houston, assigning numeric grades to every move he made.  His time in Houston actually was almost a mirror image of what happened with the Jets.  Outside of hitting a few 1st Rd picks in JJ Watt and Mercilus, Maccagnan, he was beyond abominable.  2nd Rd and below were total washouts, just like with the Jets.  According to this analysis Maccagnan actually graded BELOW John Idzik, which even puts the “well at least he’s better than Idzik” narrative to bed.  I’m talking a little kid with a blindfold playing pin the tail on the donkey does way way better than Maccagnan.  And again, this isn’t just “oh he had a bad year here and a bad year there, happens to every talent evaluator”...this was across the motherf**kin board 10,15,20 years if you count his time with the Jets.  

There was a REASON why we now know he was about to GET FIRED in Houston and Woody Johnson was out to lunch and just wanted the process completed probably so he took the word of that piece of garbage Casserly who vouched for the horrific dolt.

He owes Casserly everything though.  He is now a multimillionaire when he never should have been hired...by anyone.  The lame coffee drinking con he was always trying to play wasn’t even necessary...because the Jet owner was probably more involved in politics than his team.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Darnold is a great prospect that had an up-and-down rookie year and is by no means a sure thing right now. Mahomes just won MVP. That’s not worth any safety.

In a QB driven league, I see your point. Just the same, Jamal Adams was a sure thing at the time. Mahomes was certainly not a sure thing. If anything a definite gamble. Instead, the Jets secured the best Safety in the league today and a great up and coming QB. Just as much as I'm perfectly satisfied with not selecting Mahomes in 2017, I'm sure Mac feels the same.

Taking the job too early in his career 

he wasn’t the Texans vp of pro personnel, he was the director of college scouting 

he had very limited exposure to owners agents the cap and roster building 

he compiled scouting reports and prepped them for the vp 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

How did somebody give you a negative rep for this? Seems pretty reasonable that hack is his biggest mistake or at least in the discussion.

I don't know what I did wrong Max, but Jet Nut doesn't approve of me :(

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Resigning Fitz no doubt.  Proved he didn't have the courage of his convictions.....Hack is a very close 2nd, aka misplaced courage.  

The thing with re-signing Fitz was the VAST majority of this board was willing to pay him whatever he wanted. 

You'll remember "Fitz-Magic" was the guy.  People here thought, regardless of his first 8 years in the NFL, that he all of a sudden became a legitimate threat as an NFL QB and was taking us to the SuperBowl.

Mac was basically forced into the move by the fans, media and Nick Mangold.

Yes, it was a terrible decision but virtually everyone on JN was in agreement.