What do you think Mike McCagnans biggest regret will be?

5 hours ago, Grandy said:

Hack is the first QB picked in the first 2 rounds to not ever take an NFL snap in over 30 years. 

You don't need to be a first round pick to be a colossal mistake.

So if he played one snap and threw an int it would have made it a better pick? A crap player is a crap player.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Agree with this.  Most were giddy at the prospect of Revis returning and the big ticket FA's in that first year.  All I saw was the sacrifice Idzik made in stripping the roster of salary going to waste completely.  Idzik didn't draft well and that was his downfall.  But the way he hoarded picks and money was masterful.  Then Mac comes in and pisses it all away in an instant.  No long term plan.  No method.  Just the squandering of cap room that any GM would have salivated at being handed his first year.

His plan (the one he sold Woody) was that of a “competitive rebuild”. Fill out the roster with expensive veterans while you rebuild your core through the draft.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Mahomes looks pretty ******* dumb. A QB worth taking at 10 is certainly worth taking at 6.

Think if he takes Mahomes or Watson, he probably still has this job. Not saying he nor Bowles do any better, but basically the team had no offense at all coming out of the 2017 draft. Bowles very much deserved to be fired then, but a GM could at least sell rebuilding with a shiny new franchise QB, and he would have the timetable moved up a year, and with a new HC.

I repeat-the Jets did not have a credible NFL offense in year 3 of his regime. 

Simply even with the 2016 Hackenberg cock up, the 2017 draft was a catastrophe. How do you go into the 2017 without an offense? How did he sell that to ownership and the fan base with a straight face? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Dudes who never saw him play and couldn’t have picked him out of a lineup now claiming it was the obvious choice. Because he became an MVP.

From Texas Tech air raid offense against non-defenses of the Big 12 never took a snap from under center and barely huddled with questionable mechanics. 

But yeah, it was obvious. 

At certain points folks though Kizer was the best QB in that draft and was the number 1 pick. 

Who would you prefer Adams or Kizer. 

Too funny. 

100%. We're all just Monday Morning QB'ing here, for better or worse. But I agree, there's a lot of BS going in here with the 'I knew he'd be awesome' crowd. 

Some stuff was pretty bad. Hack, O-line, Fitz 2nd time around. Trumaine Johnson deal looks pretty bad but let's see what Williams can do. 

I think you need to look at Macc's tenure here not forgetting who the coach was. Both sucked overall even though I wanted to like both of them. Maybe they helped bring each other down, I don't know. All I DO know is that Bowels was pretty awful too. I had a long leash. I gave up on Bowels early last season and Macc after the draft this year. I'm a softie apparently.

First year he really DID have to spend money because of the cap floor rule. Gotta be somewhat fair on that even though some will tell me to kick rocks.

I thought he was pretty good about being able to get out of a potential bad FA deal by year 3 it seemed, usually. Of course now we have the TJ deal, so maybe I'm busted. 

Drafts were pretty meh outside of a few players, really. I'm always one for potentially trading back if you're sitting in a top 5-10 spot. Apparently Macc wasn't. If the Kamara stuff is true it's bad as well. He was overly conservative, IMO. 

One can argue to death the 'what ifs'  about who we could have possibly ended up with in the '18 draft being that we were still at #3 and not #1 after the trade. Whatever man. We have Sam Darnold. He gets credit there  It's really not healthy to be salty about every God damn thing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The thing with re-signing Fitz was the VAST majority of this board was willing to pay him whatever he wanted. 

You'll remember "Fitz-Magic" was the guy.  People here thought, regardless of his first 8 years in the NFL, that he all of a sudden became a legitimate threat as an NFL QB and was taking us to the SuperBowl.

Mac was basically forced into the move by the fans, media and Nick Mangold.

Yes, it was a terrible decision but virtually everyone on JN was in agreement.

False. Just false. It’s just not true no matter how many times you say it. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The thing with re-signing Fitz was the VAST majority of this board was willing to pay him whatever he wanted. 

You'll remember "Fitz-Magic" was the guy.  People here thought, regardless of his first 8 years in the NFL, that he all of a sudden became a legitimate threat as an NFL QB and was taking us to the SuperBowl.

Mac was basically forced into the move by the fans, media and Nick Mangold.

Yes, it was a terrible decision but virtually everyone on JN was in agreement.

I was repeatedly, very vocally opposed, and there were quite a few of us. 

• Upvote 1

biggest regret has to be not throwing in that extra 3rd round pick for Wentz
that's the sliding door that ended his career, if he gives up that pick (wasted anyway), he does not resign Fitz and probably trades mo or just lets him walk for a comp 3rd round pick to make up for the trade, Marshall would have had a real QB, there is no hack pick, no lee...

I agree, this seems forgotten only because the Jets passed on Mahomes. For a team that has needed a QB since forever passing on two is inexcusable. Hopefully Sam makes us forget about them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

Not to excuse Mac but I do wonder what Mahomes would’ve been like under Bowles. Mahomes was considered raw and had a year to learn under Reid who is known for developing QBs and being an offensive genius.

There’s a very real possibility Mahomes’ talent would’ve been enough that we would still have Mac and Bowles but MVP and AFC championship? Doubt it.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

If he could do it all over again what do you think he would do differently?

Id bet his biggest regret was trying to field a competitive team in year one. He really messed up the timeline (He really screwed Bowles over) by trying to compete the first two years and then breaking it down in year 3. Obviously the awful drafting in 2015 and 2016 didn’t help his case either.

He screwed Bowles over

???

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would 1000% guarantee it was yielding to the pressure to re-sign Fitzpatrick after that first year. 

It's  obvious  the resigning of Fitz was a disaster but who else was there? If you want to say we overpaid  for him, I guess that's fair but in today's NFL, 10 or 12 million isn't  a lot for a starter at QB, even if he sucks. 

Disclaimer

This is in no way defending Mac. Mac was a bad GM. I'm mearly commenting on the Jets QB situation that season.

18 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

There are many in no sort of order:

Drafting Darron Lee, Hackenberg, Stewart, Hansen, courting Kirk Cousins with 100 million dollars, Trumaine Johnson, cutting Eric Decker, David Harris, and all the remaining talent left on the talent to prove what point? Those are just some. In the positive I'd have to say drafting Adams and Sammy are the only two things he can be happy with. It's honestly that bad.

I mean, neither decker nor Harris ever did anything useful in the NFL after being cut, so maybe not those

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is a long list of QB busts from the first round so there is zero chance a QB bust in the second round ranks high on the list of embarrassing FO decisions. Guys like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Heath Shuler and many more are far bigger busts considering where they were drafted. 
Hack was an awful pick, but every year there are 2nd round picks that turn out to be complete zeros in the NFL just look at every other 2nd round pick of the Jets the last 20 years. 

No QB with Christian Hackenberg's college resume has ever succeeded in the NFL.  Ever. 

And not only did he take Hackenberg in the 2nd round, he doubled down on him the next season too, passing on Mahomes and Watson in the process.

So yes, it was the worst draft pick in Jets history.  Because Macc actually thought that a guy with a 0 % chance of succeeding would be our franchise QB. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Bugg said:

Think if he takes Mahomes or Watson, he probably still has this job. Not saying he nor Bowles do any better, but basically the team had no offense at all coming out of the 2017 draft. Bowles very much deserved to be fired then, but a GM could at least sell rebuilding with a shiny new franchise QB, and he would have the timetable moved up a year, and with a new HC.

I repeat-the Jets did not have a credible NFL offense in year 3 of his regime. 

Simply even with the 2016 Hackenberg cock up, the 2017 draft was a catastrophe. How do you go into the 2017 without an offense? How did he sell that to ownership and the fan base with a straight face? 

He was NEVER going to pick a QB in the 1st Rd...ever.  Because a 1st Rd QB miss, unless your last name is Elway guarantees quick job loss.  He’s a f**kin moron and he actually knows it.  He has no confidence in his own abilities, which are none, hence the fact that he is slow and terrified to pull the trigger on moves which we all have learned recently.

But by 2018 his back was to the proverbial wall.  Mandate was come home with a QB or don’t come back.  Rebuffed by Cousins and his 4-26 Record vs winning teams.  The Jet QB right now could easily be Josh Allen or Rosen.  Maccagnan was stuck, he couldn’t even have picked Sequan Barkley at that point.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So yes, it was the worst draft pick in Jets history.  Because Macc actually thought that a guy with a 0 % chance of succeeding would be our franchise QB. 

Keep hearing this but sorry a 2nd round bust isn't the worst draft pick in any teams history no matter how bad he turned out to be.

Its also awful easy to keep saying he had 0 chance of succeeding.  There hasnt been a draft pick ever who you can say had a 0% chance to succeed.  

Anymore than Mahomes should have been taken with the 6th overall pick is a real complaint.  Thats the ultimate MMQB stance.  Hey, we let three rounds go by passing on R Wilson, how?  Or better yet, the morons let 6 go by without taking Brady.  Happens

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Lee no but Williams is going to have a beast of a year (then sign a long term contract and turn into Wilkerson :/)

With Williams at DC, The Rams D was middle of the pack in 2016 with a DL containing Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn.

I just don't see Leo having some monster year.  Better than under Bowles/Rodgers?  Sure.  But I would hope this new regime is smart enough to let him walk.  They didn't draft him, after all.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No QB with Christian Hackenberg's college resume has ever succeeded in the NFL.  Ever. 

And not only did he take Hackenberg in the 2nd round, he doubled down on him the next season too, passing on Mahomes and Watson in the process.

You left out the part about having to ship 3#2’s away also, for what easily could have been Josh Allen or Rosen.

So ecstatic that idiot is no longer in the Jet Front Office.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its also awful easy to keep saying he had 0 chance of succeeding.  There hasnt been a draft pick ever who you can say had a 0% chance to succeed.    

The dude literally couldn't even complete passes to stationary targets in warmups.  Yes, Hackenberg had a 0 % chance.  If you can't complete 60 % of your throws against Indiana after 4 tries, you're not completing passes against professional football teams. 

And again, its bad enough Macc, who was the VP of College Scouting in Houston, whiffed so badly on Hackenberg.  What's even worse is that we had him here for a full year and he still doubled down.

Worst draft pick in Jets history.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With Williams at DC, The Rams D was middle of the pack in 2016 with a DL containing Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn.

I just don't see Leo having some monster year.  Better than under Bowles/Rodgers?  Sure.  But I would hope this new regime is smart enough to let him walk.  They didn't draft him, after all.

It’s his contract year. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The dude literally couldn't even complete passes to stationary targets in warmups.  Yes, Hackenberg had a 0 % chance.  If you can't complete 60 % of your throws against Indiana after 4 tries, you're not completing passes against professional football teams. 

I get that.  But come on, he was the top HS recruit who at 18 on a gutted PSU team showed tons of potential and was being talked about as a candidate for being a top of the 1st pick.  Yes, I agree, his next two blew that into the shltter but I get the reach out of desperation approach, no matter how badly it turned out. 

He sucked, we all agree.  He ultimately didn't win a game for the Jets.  Neither did Blair Thomas in reality, at a spot you never miss on, setting the team back a whole lot more than a 2nd.  Thats all I'm saying.  

Probably his moves in year 1.

But also, in his drafts, he never swung big until he finally traded up and drafted a QB last year.

His 1st rounders consisted of a DE, ILB, and a S before he took a QB last year.

Adams is a great player so I'll give him a break on that pick. Williams is a good (not great) DE, and Lee is obviously a bust for us. But those aren't exactly premium positions. In this league the game is generally won with QB's, receivers, CB's, tackles, and edge rushers. He was a very conservative drafter. And obviously his drafts lacked depth.

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would 1000% guarantee it was yielding to the pressure to re-sign Fitzpatrick after that first year. 

Pretty much every move he made that second offseason was the wrong one, and seemed to set the tone for the rest of his time here:

- Re-signing Fitz
- Signing a way-past-his-prime Matt Forte
- Signing Mo Wilkerson to a huge contract that he'd never live up to
- Letting Snacks walk in FA
- Drafting Darron Lee
- Drafting Hackenberg

2016 was a complete and utter disaster for him. The only two good things to come out of that offseason were Jordan Jenkins and Robby Anderson.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Pretty much every move he made that second offseason was the wrong one, and seemed to set the tone for the rest of his time here:

- Re-signing Fitz
- Drafting Darron Lee
- Drafting Hackenberg

2016 was a complete and utter disaster for him. The only two good things to come out of that offseason were Jordan Jenkins and Robby Anderson.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The question wasn't whether it was the worst Jets draft pick of all time (which it wasn't) it was whether it was one of the worst moves by a Front office, which it wasn't in the top 100. 

The Bucs took a kicker in the 2nd round a couple of years ago who is now out of the league because he was so awful. There are hundreds of other examples.

Hack was awful. I am not defending him, but to suggest that a bad 2nd round pick is somehow worse than bad picks in the 5-10 picks of the draft is stupid.  

?

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

- Re-signing Fitz
- Drafting Darron Lee
- Drafting Hackenberg

That is the cliff notes answer. And the correct one.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s his contract year.  

And he's an average athlete for his position.  Just because he might be motivated doesn't mean he'll produce.  He'll have to earn his playing time too, with Quinnen, Henry Anderson, McLendon, Shepherd and Fatukaski all competing for snaps. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The question wasn't whether it was the worst Jets draft pick of all time (which it wasn't) it was whether it was one of the worst moves by a Front office, which it wasn't in the top 100. 

The Bucs took a kicker in the 2nd round a couple of years ago who is now out of the league because he was so awful. There are hundreds of other examples.

Hack was awful. I am not defending him, but to suggest that a bad 2nd round pick is somehow worse than bad picks in the 5-10 picks of the draft is stupid.  

Not really.  Not when Hackenberg had a 6th, maybe 5th round resume.  Taking a guy like that in the 2nd is worse than taking a shot on a highly-valued guy in the top 10 and having him bust. 

As for the Bucs Kicker, its sad in itself that a 2nd round K is in the same conversation as a QB. 

• Sympathy 1