What do you think Mike McCagnans biggest regret will be?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And he's an average athlete for his position.  Just because he might be motivated doesn't mean he'll produce.  He'll have to earn his playing time too, with Quinnen and Henry Anderson competing for snaps. 

He’ll get plenty of playing time especially with them using multiple fronts and at this moment he’s the best DL on the team.

I’m actually looking forward to seeing what defensive schemes they use. The CBs are the weakest link in a passing league so it will be tough to protect them. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With Williams at DC, The Rams D was middle of the pack in 2016 with a DL containing Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn.

They were top ten at number 9.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’ll get plenty of playing time especially with them using multiple fronts and at this moment he’s the best DL on the team.

I’m actually looking forward to seeing what defensive schemes they use. The CBs are the weakest link in a passing league so it will be tough to protect them. 

I just fail to see this argument.  We don't have a pass-rushing DE.  We just have a bunch of NT's and 3-4/4-3 DT's.  There's only so much flexibility there in the kinds of looks you can show.

I agree Leonard will take a big step up, but only because of Gregg Williams' personality, not really his scheming.  He hasn't really shown a great X's and O's ability in a long time, and there's a reason he keeps jumping from team to team.  He's certainly FAR better than Kacy Rodgers, but that doesn't mean everyone will elevate their play significantly.  Only certain guys will take big steps forward. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really.  Not when Hackenberg had a 6th, maybe 5th round resume.  Taking a guy like that in the 2nd is worse than taking a shot on a highly-valued guy in the top 10 and having him bust. 

As for the Bucs Kicker, its sad in itself that a 2nd round K is in the same conversation as a QB. 

A bad, wasted pick is no different if it was wasted on a Tackle/Kicker/QB. 

And we didn't pass on Mahomes because we had Hack. We already knew he was horrible by then. We passed on Mahomes because the plan was to tank for one of the QBs in the Darnold class. Again, I am not upset about ending up with Darnold at the end of this process. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just fail to see this argument.  We don't have a pass-rushing DE.  We just have a bunch of NT's and 3-4/4-3 DT's.  There's only so much flexibility there in the kinds of looks you can show.

I agree Leonard will take a big step up, but only because of Gregg Williams' personality, not really his scheming.  He hasn't really shown a great X's and O's ability in a long time, and there's a reason he keeps jumping from team to team.  He's certainly FAR better than Kacy Rodgers, but that doesn't mean everyone will elevate their play significantly.  Only certain guys will take big steps forward. 

Williams already said he’s going to use multiple fronts with a 3-4 base so unless he goes to a 2-4-5 they’ll be more DL on the field so LW will be out there. Even if he uses a 2-4-5 LW would still be out there. 

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A bad, wasted pick is no different if it was wasted on a Tackle/Kicker/QB. 

And we didn't pass on Mahomes because we had Hack. We already knew he was horrible by then. We passed on Mahomes because the plan was to tank for one of the QBs in the Darnold class. Again, I am not upset about ending up with Darnold at the end of this process.  

Link?

If the plan was to tank, why didn't we do it properly?  Why sign McCown?  Why not sink or swim with Hackenberg/Petty?  Why finish with the 6th pick and then have to give up three 2nds just for the chance to draft one of the "top 3" QB's (which could still have easily been Josh Allen)?

And why did Macc make Kirk Cousins his Plan A and offer him the most money if the plan was always to draft a QB?

Answer:  You're dead wrong. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Williams already said he’s going to use multiple fronts with a 3-4 base so unless he goes to a 2-4-5 they’ll be more DL on the field so LW will be out there. Even if he uses a 2-4-5 LW would still be out there.  

Makes sense.  But that's just a situation where you're putting more DT's out there, not really changing what you're doing.  Without a pass-rushing DE or other versatile front 7 guys you're still just kind of throwing blunt instruments out there on every down.  If they can't get off their blocks and/or Polite doesn't turn into a player, we're screwed.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Makes sense.  But that's just a situation where you're putting more DT's out there, not really changing what you're doing.  Without a pass-rushing DE or other versatile front 7 guys you're still just kind of throwing blunt instruments out there on every down.  If they can't get off their blocks and/or Polite doesn't turn into a player, we're screwed.

Completely agree. I was talking about the amount of time LW would get on the field. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Link?

If the plan was to tank, why didn't we do it properly?  Why sign McCown?  Why not sink or swim with Hackenberg/Petty?  Why finish with the 6th pick and then have to give up three 2nds just for the chance to draft one of the "top 3" QB's (which could still have easily been Josh Allen)?

And why did Macc make Kirk Cousins his Plan A and offer him the most money if the plan was always to draft a QB?

Plan A was Cousins. Plan B was a QB from the Darnold class.

That's why he passed on a QB the year before. It was the wrong move. If you don't have a QB, and one (or in this case two) is sitting there to be had, you taken him. You don't pass on him and hope you get a chance to take one next year.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Mahomes looks pretty ******* dumb. A QB worth taking at 10 is certainly worth taking at 6.

i was going to say the same thing.  of course that all presupposes that bowles et al would know what to do with him.  and it also presupposes that mac would've given the offense more emphasis.  at this point i'm not so upset he passed on watson or didn't move to get trubisky.  mahomes was there for the taking.  and even if he was in love with hack, he should've been listening to his coaches.  they weren't all snowed by mac's infatuation.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i was going to say the same thing.  of course that all presupposes that bowles et al would know what to do with him.  and it also presupposes that mac would've given the offense more emphasis.  at this point i'm not so upset he passed on watson or didn't move to get trubisky.  mahomes was there for the taking.  and even if he was in love with hack, he should've been listening to his coaches.  they weren't all snowed by mac's infatuation.

To be fair, the offense was ranked # 14 in 2015 and # 23 in 2017 per FO under Bowles.  Not great but not terrible considering the sh*t sandwich Bowles was given at QB pre-Darnold.

Mahomes would not have had an MVP season under Bowles but he would have been an upper tier QB.  Mahomes' talent is undeniable, and its why Andy Reid shipped out Alex Smith despite him having a career year the previous season.  Some people around here questioned that. 

I still vote kamara. To correctly scout a guy, and target him, to walk away from a deal to nab him over a piddly late round pick that you used on garbage anyway is nightmare fuel for a GM.

to those who said hack I feel you because that blunder led to multiple other blunders while Mac held out hope/pride he would develop. Query: if Bowles reported to Mac would he have ordered hack to get game action when McCown went down? 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Link?

He isn't  wrong

If we would have started Hack or Petty, we would have had the lockerroom from Hell. The vet players would have mutinied over starting 2 guys that should have been cut already. Also, McCown was about the worst QB available. Ask anyone if they thought he would put up the numbers he did. He was a backup quality QB that never stayed healthy. Taking a guy like that keeps the vets in line and also pretty much guarantees you will not finish high which we didn't. Finishing with the top 6 pick means you sucked. 

As far as Kirk, there was no way he was leaving g Washington to come here. Why would he ever do that. This place was QB purgatory.  I think the front office had to at least try anyway but did you actually think Cousins at his age was going to join a rebuilding team?

As far as the second round selections, I never really understood  why people have a problem with this. That should go down as the best trade in franchise history.  It got us Darnold. I don't care that the Giants passed on him, they have there own crappy GM who will be fired next off season for taking a QB nobody expected to go in round 1, we got our guy. Great trade. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To be fair, the offense was ranked # 14 in 2015 and # 23 in 2017 per FO under Bowles.  Not great but not terrible considering the sh*t sandwich Bowles was given at QB pre-Darnold.

Mahomes would not have had an MVP season under Bowles but he would have been an upper tier QB.  Mahomes' talent is undeniable, and its why Andy Reid shipped out Alex Smith despite him having a career year the previous season.  Some people around here questioned that. 

i've said that before in a different way.  fitz had a career year under bowles as did mccown so maybe bowles is getting too much of a bad rap as a coach.  and mac didn't do much to improve the offense except for signing anderson and drafting darnold and herndon of late.  not much of a track record and we can only hope he realizes the mistakes he made.

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I believe Macc's worst move was picking Hackenburg in the 2nd round.  Why do I believe this?

Because every Jets fan I know never believed in Hackenburg.  No one believed in this guy the moment we drafted him.

I personally thought he sucked, and I have not read anything from any Jets fan who believed differently before he played one down.

He was a loser in the draft, after the draft and proved it in every practice and in every game he got any shot to play in.

How Macc saw this differently than virtually everyone else is anyone's guess.

It was his worst decision because it was an obvious decision not to draft this guy in the second round.

If Macc drafted him in the 7th round, no one would be complaining.  If he drafted him in the 4th round, it would have been an awful decision.

But to draft him in the second round, it was just plain incompetent.

• Sympathy 2

11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Are people out of their minds? What is the matter with people on here, this guy says that Bowles maybe was a good coach, and then is giving accolades to Leonard Williams, when he actually has done nothing to warrant a 6th pick in the 1st round. Hey Mick, grab a nice thick book and take some time away from here until you can actually learn what reality is...

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Are people out of their minds? What is the matter with people on here, this guy says that Bowles maybe was a good coach, and then is giving accolades to Leonard Williams, when he actually has done nothing to warrant a 6th pick in the 1st round. Hey Mick, grab a nice thick book and take some time away from here until you can actually learn what reality is...

giphy.gif

When did I say Bowels was a good coach?

LW is the best DL on the Jets currently, his draft spot has nothing to do with. 

Are you 60? There’s no reason to pick up a thick book when I have a whole library available in an object the size of a deck of cards.