Jet Blast

Albert Breer on Joe Douglas in Today's MMQB

I don't know why but every time Douglas comments on Darnold he seems kinda "meh" on him. Or just uncertain. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. Interesting to hear what Joe thinks about who we have on the roster (albeit from limited exposure).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I want him to say "He's a FUC*** DUDE!!" and then flip a table in excitement.

But I guess these comments will do for now.

Not in everyone's personality to be a table flipping, f**king dude!!! kind of guy.  These comments on Darnold seem pretty positive and more substantive on his skill set.

“Sam did a really nice job coming back from injury,” Douglas said. “Just seeing him seeing him, he's not a guy that hung onto the ball for very long. He's able to go through his progressions quickly, I like his feet in the pocket, I like his pocket awareness, he's got a nice quick release, ball spins out of his hands, he throws an accurate ball, he can escape. … So he’s an interesting guy. I mean, he’s a good player.”

• Upvote 2

It's kind of amazing how much work he has to put in just to get a feel for his own team. The real work is scouting every other team's bottom 40 players and identifying the CB, OL, EDGE, etc., that could represent an upgrade for the Jets. I mean, I guess he can look at the CFL or a smattering of XFL hopefuls, but the real, next time he might be able to improve this team will be in the days after 8/31. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't know why but every time Douglas comments on Darnold he seems kinda "meh" on him. Or just uncertain. 

On the SiriusXM interview this week, he was almost giddy about Darnold, nothing meh about it. He LOVES Robbie Anderson. The player he does seem to be somewhat "meh" about is Jamal Adams actually.

• Upvote 1

One thing that was a huge problem with the Jets is that they never resigned their players early to cap space.  It will cost us, But now, JD comes from a team who does it all the time, I expect to see that happen here, and I think Robby will be the first guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mavericknyc1980 said:

One thing that was a huge problem with the Jets is that they never resigned their players early to cap space.  It will cost us, But now, JD comes from a team who does it all the time, I expect to see that happen here, and I think Robby will be the first guy.

Part of the reason for this is that our roster has sucked.  It is already late to extend Robby or Leonard Williams. Jenkins, Shell and the punter are the ones to look at now. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

On the SiriusXM interview this week, he was almost giddy about Darnold, nothing meh about it. He LOVES Robbie Anderson. The player he does seem to be somewhat "meh" about is Jamal Adams actually.

Anyway of uploading those on here? 

4 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Anyway of uploading those on here? 

I don't believe so, but visit the Jets official website for videos of Douglas. I'm sure he spoke about Darnold in at least one of them.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

It's pretty obvious that Macc's issues running the Jets went beyond the bad drafting.  From the comments I keep hearing from CJ and now even Douglas it's obvious Macc was not a good leader.  Seemed like the type holed up in his office all day drinking his coffee and having very little interaction with the rest of the F.O.   It's been brought up multiple times this idea of "forging" relationships with the scouts and the rest of the F.O. that combined with the bad drafts didn't give Macc a leg to stand on.

I don't see it being that way... It appears to me that Douglas is more of a "personal" type of person... someone who wants to get to know you as a person not just a player/employee.  I think that's just more his natural personality than trying to "fix" something.  From what I've read & heard him say it's more like he's trying to create a culture of unity from top to bottom... We're in this TOGETHER type of situation... again, who knows what's really behind it but that's just my take on it. 

55 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

It's pretty obvious that Macc's issues running the Jets went beyond the bad drafting.  From the comments I keep hearing from CJ and now even Douglas it's obvious Macc was not a good leader.  Seemed like the type holed up in his office all day drinking his coffee and having very little interaction with the rest of the F.O.   It's been brought up multiple times this idea of "forging" relationships with the scouts and the rest of the F.O. that combined with the bad drafts didn't give Macc a leg to stand on.

Definitely agree with this. "Culture" is a word that has been thrown around a lot with regard to these changes, we've heard it from CJ, Douglas, Gase, and Williams. Not a coincidence that Douglas seems like a well liked people person and leader.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

Absolutely agree. Chris Johnson said he wanted a forward “strategic thinker.” He wants someone who oversees everything. He wants a leader people will want to work for and players will want to play for. He saw Mac wasting drafts and getting embarrassed in free agency by the likes of  Suh, Barr, birthday cupcakes, and even Leveon. We were negotiating with ourselves a day longer than any team should have for Bell. Mac was a joke and Johnson finally realized it.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Fresh eyes from a franchise that has its sh*t together yeah I bet there’s going to be some differences in opinion on a players value. Douglas was brought in to fix a mess. I don’t think this excludes anyone on the roster. The Johnsons ended up paying this guy so it’s gonna be his call on how he wants to build this thing.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Absolutely agree. Chris Johnson said he wanted a forward “strategic thinker.” He wants someone who oversees everything. He wants a leader people will want to work for and players will want to play for. He saw Mac wasting drafts and getting embarrassed in free agency by the likes of  Suh, Barr, birthday cupcakes, and even Leveon. We were negotiating with ourselves a day longer than any team should have for Bell. Mac was a joke and Johnson finally realized it.

Thank god, this came to fruitation and he followed through.  Our FO was our weakest link.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I personally think he's the biggest reason he came.  He has seemed quite excited about him in the interviews that I have seen.  As a new GM, you have to be measured in your praise.  Don't want to seem like a fan boy.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Someone finally realizes that robbie is the best offensive weapon we have.  Wide recievers that are uncoverable are few and far between.  Gase is goibg to throw to this guy early and often.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Bragging too much about the QB is what screws the team when you have to play these guys 30-40M a year. You have to handle it close to the vest if you want to be competitive when you do have to pay Darnold's second contract.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Probably since nobody likes players with a big mouth, unless you are like a Ray Lewis type and a player of that statute can have as big a mouth as they want. Adams hasn't provided enough to have the mouth he has. Not to say it is not a good thing to have the attitude he does, but many people don't like. 

• Butt Fumble 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Part of the reason for this is that our roster has sucked.  It is already late to extend Robby or Leonard Williams. Jenkins, Shell and the punter are the ones to look at now. 

Robby was tough to sign up to even this point due to some run ins with the law, even if exhonerated. Leo also was tough to extend since we needed to see him with better players around him, if possible, to take some of the double teams off his plate and see how consistent he plays. He doesn't need 12 sacks, but if QW and Polite are able to get Leo many one on ones he needs to provide 8-10 sacks in order to get a decent contract and not just a lot of QB pressures. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fresh eyes from a franchise that has its sh*t together yeah I bet there’s going to be some differences in opinion on a players value. Douglas was brought in to fix a mess. I don’t think this excludes anyone on the roster. The Johnsons ended up paying this guy so it’s gonna be his call on how he wants to build this thing.

Thank God.

And I'm not even sure I like him.  I'd prefer someone more from the analytics end, but still.  Thank God. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Robby was tough to sign up to even this point due to some run ins with the law, even if exhonerated. Leo also was tough to extend since we needed to see him with better players around him, if possible, to take some of the double teams off his plate and see how consistent he plays. He doesn't need 12 sacks, but if QW and Polite are able to get Leo many one on ones he needs to provide 8-10 sacks in order to get a decent contract and not just a lot of QB pressures. 

So, these guys were tough to sign because we didn't know about them?  If not us, who?  We should know everything about them and know their value better than anybody else on the planet.  Those criteria you mention are reasons to sign them more cheaply.  Williams may have been tough because he knew he was getting $14M by this season, but when a team never extends anybody until the last moment it seems more like a philosophy. 

Wilkerson franchised, then paid the following season, Winters paid after his contract was up, Williams $14M 5th year (are they going to extend him or wait some more?) Anderson tendered, Snacks tendered, Richardson 5th year option then traded, Enunwa extended as his contract expired.  Sure it is okay if you want to move the player, like Richardson, but it is not how to save money on guys you want to keep. Winters and Enunwa could have been had way cheaper.  Anderson too.  I think Philly was one of the teams offering a pick for him, so Douglas probably likes him. 

• Like 1

“Love his athleticism, love his ability to go through progressions,” Douglas said. “I think he’s a unique guy … he’s a very young player, just turned 22, but he shows ability to have his eyes and feet to work through progressions quickly, and he throws an accurate ball. And just hearing about his leadership ability at such a young age is exciting, real exciting.”

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

“Love his athleticism, love his ability to go through progressions,” Douglas said. “I think he’s a unique guy … he’s a very young player, just turned 22, but he shows ability to have his eyes and feet to work through progressions quickly, and he throws an accurate ball. And just hearing about his leadership ability at such a young age is exciting, real exciting.”

That is a pretty exciting description.😀 And Douglas sounds like he is going to get Sam the right guys to protect him so he will live long and prosper as a Jet.

• Upvote 1

Some of the things he's done seem to be smart from a business point of view.  From the negotiation of his own contract, where he got a really good deal for himself (without pissing anyone off), to his not gushing about players...

47 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Doesn’t sound like Joe D agrees with the Robby and Leo haters. 

Devil's Advocate: Those are the two players (you could add Jenkins) that are most likely to be trade bait. Quality players and not signed past 2019.  Tough to get value if you denigrate them in the media.

• Upvote 1

Said it before, will say it again. This franchise has finally un-F**ked itself. Only good things to come from here on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I want him to say "He's a FUC*** DUDE!!" and then flip a table in excitement.

But I guess these comments will do for now.

he would not have taken a Jet job if he did not think he had his QB

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Jets might’ve got this one right. Let’s hope Joe Biden thinks Woody is doin a helluva job! 😝

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1