Josh McCown Retires

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

So Sam won't be a success in his career without the wisdom passed on by Josh McCown?  If this was the case, why not hire him as a Coach now, if his input into Sam is so vital to Sam's future success?

A best-QB-prospect-in-draft needed a journeyman to teach him how to play QB?  You guys must not think very much of Sam Darnold tbqh. 

I think Sam will succeed (or fail) on Sam himself, not on having a brief cup-of-coffee for part of one year with Josh McCown.

Yeah, why help him along with a respected mentor.  Warfish thinks it's meaningless.  Hey eventually the kid will get it.  Everyone who said it was a great situation is braindead.  Why would anyone want to pick someone's head about what they're learning.  And why quicken the process.  It's so much smarter to complain about something no one agree with you about

Bottom line, even if it only helped a little, dis it hurt his development?  So what are we whining about.  Admit he's a good guy and move on, that's all.  Not that hard to understand.

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

True but every damn QB that has played for this organization or walked through through door isn't a feel good story we seem to embrace all the bad QB's like they did something special for us besides lose.  

Not true.

I despise:

• Chad Pennington
  • Michael Vick
  • Mark Sanchez
  • Geno Smith
  • Christian Hackenberg

I don't care one way or the other about:

• Brett Favre
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Glenn Foley
  • Quincy Carter
  • Brett Ratliff
  • Brooks Bollinger
  • Greg McElroy

I'm cool with:

• Vinny Testaverde
  • Ken O'Brien
  • Ray Lucas
  • Josh McCown
  • Bryce Petty
  • Kellen Clemens

I revere:

• Joe Namath
  • Sam Darnold
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Former New York Jets quarterback Josh McCown announced his retirement after 16 seasons in the NFL and will now join ESPN as an NFL analyst. He will appear on shows such as NFL Live, SportsCenter and Get Up!

Good for him.

Though he stumbled out of the gate already.  He listed Julian Edelman as a Top 5 WR in the game while leaving Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins outside of the Top 5. 

Yikes.

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

the mentor thing is the biggest BS ever ...for 10 mil we couoda had 2 decent OL

So why get pissed at McCown for that?  The guy to blame is the one that just got fired, largely for stupid sh*t like neglecting the OL and not tanking properly, costing us three 2nd rounders. 

Was McCown supposed to turn the money down?

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hackenberg is the lone exception to this rule. 

I said "starting".

The dude never even played in an NFL regular season game.

It's funny how someone can cast stones at a player who played 17 years in one of the most physically demanding of all sports--at QUARTERBACK no less--and have actually STARTED for a bunch of years and not call him a world class athlete.

Apparently, that is reserved for the best of the best.

So all those guys that make the olympics that finish last in the 100 meters or the premier league soccer players who aren't superstars or the 50th ranked ATP tennis player isn't a "world class athlete".

So stupid.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I wasn't suggesting he was deserving of the role or that he could even do it.

Just that if he wanted to go that route, it's likely not with the Jets.

I was saying it could be, even with the Jets, but I don't know if we or anyone would hire him as a QBC at the pro level immediately. He's not the first former QB to move on to coaching. Or anyway, his first QBC job wouldn't be at the NFL level with such a young QB.

28 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Apparently, if you have lost more games as a QB than you have won, captain literal calls you a loser based upon the credo "a thing is a thing".

Hyperbole, exaggerations, and claiming people are having "the feels".  That's all he brings to the table.  Then he demands people be "classy".

Oh, that and Kirk Cousins' yardage numbers.  Because that proves he's awesome and stuff.  But don't you dare bring up his W-L, especially against good teams.

24 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Yup, now us calling McCown a good guy, a consummate professional and an exemplary teammate means we're calling him and I quote "a great QB".

I've noticed that about this dude, he jumps to extreme hyperbole to defend an indefensible position and then intimate..."so, you're calling him a great QB because he was a good guy?"

Miserable dude.  Almost every post it seems.  

Josh McCown was a career losing-record journeyman QB who played one season and backed up one season here during a time when our team went 9-23. 

That's not extreme hyperbole nor is it being "miserable".  It's the simple and basic facts here.

If someone want to call him a good guy and a professional, I agree and have agreed repeatedly to those positions already.  I don't see meeting those basic criteria, for $16 million dollars, to be particularly praiseworthy or special, but sure, applaud if you like.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

By this criteria Kirk Cousins is a loser too, given his sub-.500 career record and, most importantly, his 4-24 record against above .500 teams. 

McCown is a ''loser'' career backup.  Cousins is a ''loser'' who gets paid like an elite QB. 

Your ''feels'' are misguided. 

Isn't this one of the very arguments those who like bringing up Cousins make?  

Note by the way who keeps bringin up Cousins, it certainly isn't me.  I restate my old view when inevitably someone decides to bring it up when replying to me.  I'm long since past that point, we have Darnold, I like Darnold, Cousins is irrelevant to me.  There are no :feels: for me with Cousins.

Got to admit, I find the McCown love both confusing given his career and time here, and sad frankly.  Like a regularly beaten dog licking his abusers hand for some irrelevant kindness. 

But you're all entitled to it if you like.  Carry on.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Josh McCown was a career losing-record journeyman QB who played one season and backed up one season here during a time when our team went 9-23. 

That's not extreme hyperbole nor is it being "miserable".  It's the simple and basic facts here.

If someone want to call him a good guy and a professional, I agree and have agreed repeatedly to those positions already.  I don't see meeting those basic criteria, for $16 million dollars, to be particularly praiseworthy or special, but sure, applaud if you like.

You called him a loser--not a losing QB. You know that's a pejorative term yet you feign surprise that someone would suggest you sh*t on him.

You've been sh*tting on him the whole thread and been repeatedly called on it.  Be a man and admit it.

You know who I thought was a loser? Geno.  Yeah, f*ck him.  HE was a loser.  From draft night to his attitude to getting thrown off a plane to dick pics to getting his jaw caved in for pocket change.  

Just so you know (but not that you care), I never wanted McCown to come here, I've always been underwhelmed by him as a QB his whole career, didn't want to resign him. 

But I can distinguish a disdain for his talents from the exemplary teammate, consummate professional and all around good guy that never embarrassed the franchise.

And the money has no reason to diminish that.  I don't know why you keep harping on that--as if $16 million makes him less of a professional, teammate, non-embarrassment.

I don't get it.  

Now call me Ms again because you think its funny or that I'm spending way too much time praising him as a great QB (I haven't) or "as if he died fighting a fire and saving homeless children" or some such silly hyperbole (I haven't).

Btw, according to your "a thing is a thing" nonsense, Sam Darnold is a loser.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles    26-41 record as a HC 

Josh McCown 23-53 record as a starting QB 

BOTH losing records. 

Carry on. 

Sam Darnold 4-9 as a starting QB. 

Joe Namath 62-63-4 (60-61-4 for the Jets) as a starting QB.

Both losing records.

Should we carry on?

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Oh, and he called me Ms which was so hurtful I had to go find my safe-place.  

He's just a miserable cuck. I don't get his posting style.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

WOW just WOW 

WTF is going on here?  

This is BS grow up all of you. 

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You called him a loser--not a losing QB. You know that's a pejorative term yet you feign surprise that someone would suggest you sh*t on him.

You've been sh*tting on him the whole thread and been repeatedly called on it.  Be a man and admit it.

He's pissed he got paid.

Why anyone gives a shlt about the money and adds in the equally incorrect idea that we didnt sign an OL because we paid McCown. 

Would help if:

1.  Some of these whiners knew the game

2.  Knew a little something about the team that they whine about incessantly 

What part of my response did you miss? Did I stutter?

I would never be disrespectful to another poster's family, wife, children, parents, siblings, significant other.

Not my style. He called me Ms I responded in kind.  Cuck in today's lingidy has nothing to do with cuckhold.

You know that, right?

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

WOW just WOW 

WTF is going on here?  

This is BS grow up all of you. 

25 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I'm a faithful man and would never play in another man's garden.

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

What part of my response did you miss? Did I stutter?

I would never be disrespectful to another poster's family, wife, children, parents, siblings, significant other.

Not my style. He called me Ms I responded in kind.  Cuck in today's lingidy has nothing to do with cuckhold.

You know that, right?

I know nothing. 

cuck
/kək/
noun

1. 1. 
    INFORMALUS
    a weak or servile man (often used as a contemptuous term for a man with moderate or progressive political views).
  2. 2. 
    a man whose wife is sexually unfaithful; a cuckold.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Stop calling my kettle black. 

Im not involved in any of this just trying to end it getting tiring reading back and forth bickering, name calling and personal attacks. 

Over nothing opinions of Josh McCown then calling Joe Namath and Sam Darnold losers

Sorry 

COME ON MAN 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Are you suggesting we fire our players and hire dudes working at soup kitchens and mentoring at-risk youth, because being a "man" is more important that being good at playing your position?

Where did I say this anywhere?

HOw many times did I and others tell you that no one is saying this.

I guess if you keep making ridiculous arguments based on nothing at all, exaggerated to the hills, it makes you right somehow? 

I have told you, in multiple posts that the kind words going out to Josh in light of his retirement are based completely on him being a great guy and teammate.

Somehow you and one other think its an open invitation to call a guy with more athletic ability than you or anyone you know out for his record as a backup.

If you dont get it, it really explains a lot

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I know nothing. 

cuck
/kək/
noun

1. 1. 
    INFORMALUS
    a weak or servile man (often used as a contemptuous term for a man with moderate or progressive political views).
  2. 2. 
    a man whose wife is sexually unfaithful; a cuckold.

Read number 1.  

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not involved in any of this just trying to end it getting tiring reading back and forth bickering, name calling and personal attacks. 

This is funny coming from you.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

then calling Joe Namath and Sam Darnold losers

Wow, not only don't you not get sarcasm, you don't understand jokes when they are explained to you.  

15 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You know who I thought was a loser? Geno.  Yeah, f*ck him.  HE was a loser.  From draft night to his attitude to getting thrown off a plane to dick pics to getting his jaw caved in for pocket change.  

Just so you know (but not that you care), I never wanted McCown to come here, I've always been underwhelmed by him as a QB his whole career, didn't want to resign him. 

But I can distinguish a disdain for his talents from the exemplary teammate, consummate professional and all around good guy that never embarrassed the franchise.

And the money has no reason to diminish that.  I don't know why you keep harping on that--as if $16 million makes him less of a professional, teammate, non-embarrassment.

I don't get it.  

Now call me Ms again because you think its funny or that I'm spending way too much time praising him as a great QB (I haven't) or "as if he died fighting a fire and saving homeless children" or some such silly hyperbole (I haven't).

Btw, according to your "a thing is a thing" nonsense, Sam Darnold is a loser.

Wow, you are seriously butthurt over this.  Lots of itens here to address:

1. Loser in an NFL Forum taling-bout-legacy context = Losing QB.  Not Loser as a human being.  If I want to call a football player something about their lack of or poor humanity, like say Mike "Dogkiller Scumbag" Vick, I'll use terms far in excess of "loser".  Again, I'm not one to be kind to people to are bad human beings, I'll happily use terms vastly in excess of "loser" if I want to personally insult them.

"Be a Man and admit it".  My worth as a man is not defined by "admitting" that calling a guy what he is is "sh*tting on him".  Nor does it matter if I do sh*t on him verbally.  Doesn't matter in the slightest.  Josh McCown doesn't need internet white-knights, he'll be just fine.

Yes, Geno was a loser.  And he wasn't a mature person.  I have no idea if he was a good person or not.  

I too never wanted McCown to come here because it did nothing for the franchise.  Now, I may have been wrong if his supposed mentor-ship really IS the key to Darnold's future.  I don't believe it will be, I think Darnold will rise on his own merit, but if you like the :feels: then sure, it could be considered that McCown did something for us via that.  Not on the field, mind, but in his mentor-ship of Sam.

I harp on the money for the same reason slats harps on Fitz's and Cousin's money.  Journeyman QB's who fail aren't worth the money.   Franchise QB's who can't win are not worth the money.  In the pros, money matters.

If you really want me to call you Ms. again, I will.  But I get the feeling that one really stung you.  And yes, i did think it was funny, and yes, if that REALLY pissed you off you might want to get a thicker skin for hanging out on the internet mate.  That was exceedingly lighthanded for the internet circa 2019.

And yes, Sam is a loser now, thru what, 10 games?, but Sam is also an exceedingly young QB with his whole career ahead of him.  It doesn't matter what he is now, it matters what he will become.  Sam will not continue to be a loser, I think he has the potential to be a great winner.  Unlike McCown, whose career is over, Sam's has just begun.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because Peace Frog f**ks Warfish's wife, probably. 

So not respecting McCown's on-field career to the right level warrants this now at JN, eh?

An interesting take by the same folks who get upset when a lifetime 23-53 QB is not properly respected.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I think Sam has shown from day one that he’s a hard worker, all about football and mature beyond his years.  He was still a young kid from across the country when the Jets drafted him.  

Josh was that added comfort, a big brother away from home and an unexpected bonus that put the kid at ease, someone with more than a decade in the business he could ask questions or voice his concerns.

For those that object to that, or belittle Josh’s role as a mentor at $10 mil, too bad!  God bless him. 

Exactly